Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

You're deliberately conflating two completely separate things to make an incorrect assumption.

Also it's the Daily Express, not really worth reading 99% of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭Mike Murdock

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Cordell

And she considers herself British, unlike the multicultural crowd that doesn't.

Plenty of people in Ireland consider themselves irish, but many posters here are very quick to point out, they are not.

And what do you mean by the ' multicultural crowd' ?

but many posters here are very quick to point out, they are not.

Not me. In my opinion if someone considers themselves Irish then they are regardless of what anyone else says.

And what do you mean by the ' multicultural crowd' ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXNUVL56lqE

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Actually, I'd contend the two can be conflated and show both the hypocrisy and problems within the multicultural narrative. With ironies all over the place on all sides of it. People will point to sports, film, music and political "stars" as examples of how positive multiculturalism is, ignoring, while others react to the larger not so positive aspects. That newspaper's page is a good illustration of this dissonance. As Sammy Davis Jr noted "being a star has made it possible for me to get insulted in places where the average negro could never hope to get insulted". African Americans have long understood this.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

So you believe Muslims chanting ' British police go to hell ' are multiculturists? I don't know who the woman presenting that video is, but she seems to be particularly provocative. She mentioned the demo was in response to a Muslim woman being arrested. But she didn't mention what for? She did manage to tell us that woman's husband planted a bomb in Sweden though, so presumably she was aware of the details.

I think Emma Raducanu is far more of a multiculturist. Born in Canada, to Romanian and Chinese parents, moved to Britain as a child.

speaks Mandarin and loves Romanian food. Considers herself British because she grew up there. Seems like the perfect child for multiculturalism!

So you believe Muslims chanting ' British police go to hell ' are multiculturists?

What are they then? I see people that are culturally different, as different as they can be, so isn't this multiculturalism?

I think Emma Raducanu is far more of a multiculturist

I think she's more assimilated than multiculturist. In any case, she's a good example of cultures that can integrate, and the folks above are a good example of cultures that can't and won't integrate.

There are plenty of Muslims living in countries integrating just fine, there are many Irish people living in other countries who prefer to spend all of their time with Irish people, doing Irish things etc. That doesn't mean that the don't get on fine in their new country.

Just, in relation to that video, do you know the details of what they were demonstrating exactly?

There are plenty of Muslims living in countries integrating just fine

Of course, I never said there aren't! The problem is that there are plenty that don't.

do you know the details

One of them was arrested for terrorist offences by the British police.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

They were protesting the arrest of the wife (Mona Thwany) of an attempted suicide bomber (he blew himself up) on suspicion of helping him prepare the attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,113 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

its a maths issue. Not being country specific but if there was a liberal democracy out there called Elbonia and if in a couple of generations the population went from 0% Islamic to 10% or even 20%, could you make any predictions of expected stuff one would expect to happen? would the predictions be different if the arriving group were Hindu, Chinese or even French

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gsi300024v

I genuinely feel for you, try not to live in fear.

Our nearest neighbour has in the region of a million people who want the UK to become an Islamic state. That would be a fair number of voters, concentrated in areas to become a swing factor in a democracy.

About a 1 in 3 of their younger generation want their fellow muslims murdered if they were to change religion.

2 million believe homosexuality should be illegal.

Absolutely nutty stuff to allow anymore of that to proliferate. For every 3 muslims you let in 1 will want to become part of an islamic state. So a third are 'bad eggs' and 2 out of 3 are so far against homosexuality they want it illegal.

Should this be grounds for a blanket ban? After all it is against the freedoms that western nations are built upon...............

Can you/How do you filter it out? This is clearly the building blocks of disharmony at best, at worst it results in massacres and extremists driving through crowds. Either way it is certainly not the kind of multiculturalism anyone wants, right?

"28% of British Muslims hoped that Britain would one day become an Islamic state"

On religious issues a poll reported that 36% of 16- to 24-year-olds believe if a Muslim converts to another religion they should be punished by death, compared to 19% of 55+ year old Muslims

61% of respondents agreed with the statement that homosexuality is wrong and should be illegal.[167][168][169] This appeared to be borne out by a Gallup poll in 2009 of 500 British Muslims, none of whom believed that homosexuality was morally acceptable

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Has a similar survey been done in Ireland recently? I believe there was one done a few years ago about Sharia law etc.

I assume the views in Ireland match those currently held in the UK.

I'm not so sure and you'll find plenty of people claiming we're only getting the good ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭jmreire

No. if you want to know real fear, go and live in Pakistan, Afghanistan or any of the other Stans, openly as a Christian, and then you will know fear. Real fear.

Yeah, we shouldn't lose our head over this or blow it out of proportions, nothing bad will ever happen.

This subject has been ran over enough and it's time to shut it down.

Pretty much. The area of Islamic terrorism in Ireland is a no-show topic here, because there's no history to back it up... and even when looking at Europe, the number of actual attacks are relatively low. Still a dangerous threat, but also quite low.

The bigger problem is how native cultures are pushed aside or changed to accommodate Islamic populations, and the effects of those accommodations over time. That is something that can be argued about because there's plenty of examples of it happening in France, Denmark, Sweden, etc.

No need to display being a Christian.. just not being Muslim is enough to be a focus for suspicion. Triple that if you're female.

As for real fear... I dunno about that. I've done a variety of Islamic countries, and I never felt any "real fear", except when it came to police/border security. The average person wasn't much of a threat, although I was quick to scamper whenever I saw a mob forming. I've heard quite a few horror stories about people being caught up in protests or such. In the main, I found most Muslims to be quite respectful, and polite, except when there were groups of four or more youngish guys. Then there would be some shifty movements, and various insulting remarks.. still.. once it was known that I wasn't American or British, things tended to settle quickly. Although I should say that I never traveled alone in any of these area... always having a translator or someone local to guide me around.

Try to live with some knowledge and insight into what's at play.

Individually, Muslims are typically wonderful people. The problem is when they form into groups of males, because Islam is a very social religion, where peer pressure has great importance. Nobody wants to be accused of being less than fully religious, and since Islam is both a culture and a religion, that extends into politics too. I don't think most Irish people can truly understand that because the influence of the Roman Catholic Church has been in decline for decades, and even then, in modern times, it rarely exercised much authority as a religious faith. We have our history with a wide range of stories showing the strong influence of the Church, but few Irish people under 70 are likely to understand it, the same way Islam exists for Muslims.

I don't fear Islam or Muslims, but I am wary of both... mainly from personal experience of what I've seen happen in Islamic nations, and what I've seen happen to suburbs in France. France was always the place where my parents took us as children, and we all stayed there extensively as teenagers, and again as adults... and I've seen familiar areas get completely taken over by Muslim migrants, completely changing the atmosphere and dominant culture of the place.

So.. yeah... I would be wary about Islam, and I feel some concern that such changes should happen here in Ireland too. I'd rather that my nieces never had to deal with such things, except should they go abroad to travel. Thankfully, returning from travel, you can put negative experiences behind you, and appreciate how nice your own culture is. That won't be the case if the Muslim population continues to increase at the speed it has so far. So, yeah,... Fear no. Concern, yes.

• Advertisement

Why so scared of change Klaz?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭jmreire

In the main, my experiences in Muslim Countrys has been positive, but I've seen and personally experienced the negative aspects too. As you said, not being Muslim can be enough to trigger a bad reaction, regardless of whatever else you may be. And again as you said, in single or double combinations, any grouping greater than that can and does trigger the "I'm a better Muslim than you" reaction amongst themselves. And if there is a "non-believer" nearby, he / she ( especially a woman ) may feel the brunt of it. Its happened to me in the past. But ironically, it has often been the case where older Muslims have come to my rescue. None the less,the unpleasantness was there, and not far beneath the surface, even when dealing with officials. Crowds of any size marching or protesting are to be avoided at all costs. And what its like for non-muslims actually living in these Countrys? "Hard" does not even begin to describe it. I've seen forced conversation's, people having to leave their homes, because they left Islam etc.To really understand Islam, ( as much as its possible for an outsider to do so) you need to live in Islamic Countrys, and for a considerable length of time. I'm not afraid of Muslims here in Ireland...( for now at any rate )..but there were times in my life abroad when I was "concerned" to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,560 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Can you give example of native cultures being pushed aside or changed to accommodate islamic populations? And you before you do so, I'm interested in real examples where the natives were told to stop what they were doing in order to facilitate newly arrived islamists.

I see people express concern about losing a native culture but it frequently seems to be something they are only concerned about when something about the new culuture displeases them. Take the Irish language for example, obviously one of the strongest cultural artefacts any country has is their own native language and yet I often see people lament efforts to nuture it Ireland with claims about it being a huge waste of time or money.

Irish culture has changed quite significantly over the last 100 years, how much of it has been down to the influx of newly arrived immigrants versus how much of it has been sought out by Irish people seeking to mimic what they have seen abroad.

Is there a particular facet of it that you are concerned about losing and do you think anything can be done to strengthen it rather than just wishing nothing else came in to grab peoples attention.

Can you give example of native cultures being pushed aside or changed to accommodate islamic populations? And you before you do so, I'm interested in real examples where the natives were told to stop what they were doing in order to facilitate newly arrived islamists.

I gave the example in the post itself. In a number of French suburbs this has happened. Do a search on Youtube and you'll find a variety of articles documenting the effects on the natives. My own experiences were around Provence, and Montpellier, in particular.

And you're misrepresenting what I said... because I didn't say that "the natives were told to stop what they were doing in order to facilitate newly arrived islamists".

I see people express concern about losing a native culture but it frequently seems to be something they are only concerned about when something about the new culuture displeases them. Take the Irish language for example, obviously one of the strongest cultural artefacts any country has is their own native language and yet I often see people lament efforts to nuture it Ireland with claims about it being a huge waste of time or money.

Ahh well, in spite of growing up fluent in Irish (my family are from Connemara), I can understand why the Irish language receives so little interest or support from the average Irish person... it simply has so little usefulness in Ireland, unless you want to work in government, and even then, it's usefulness is limited.

I'm not terribly bothered by Irish culture being replaced, because I feel that Irish people have moved away from most of their traditional culture. I'd be more concerned with the loss of values and moral guidelines that are common in our society. In regards to Islam, I'd be concerned with large pockets of Muslims living in areas, and imposing their own culture and the restrictions on behavior on natives living in the same area, or the pushing out of natives from those areas. Again, pointing to France where this has already happened . (which has been posted a few times already in this thread, so I won't be posting links again. Such articles and videos aren't hard to find)

Is there a particular facet of it that you are concerned about losing and do you think anything can be done to strengthen it rather than just wishing nothing else came in to grab peoples attention.

The Irish culture I grew up with is essentially gone. It left with the influx of wealth, the movement of people, and the effect of the internet on cultural spread. I wouldn't be assigning any kind of blame on immigrants for any of that.

Your focus is awry... You seem to be approaching this as if I've never posted these opinions before, but you've been on this thread long enough to have seen my past posts, and where I stand on culture... and immigration.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Change is hardly necessarily 'better' is it. Some change going on in Afghanistan at the minute. I guess you'd hardly applause the change going on there, because change is 'better'.

Your argument bugs me (which is why I bothered to interject here ) because I hear that all the time as an argument across many issues. It's just not a good argument, and it's telling that you resort to it as an argument because you don't have a better one.

It's not an argument. It's "a question" that he raised before (a few pages ago), was answered by a variety of posters (myself included) and then.. it fizzled out without any real input from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭AllForIt

But it is an argument posed in a round about way, as a question.

His argument is that your personal opposition to multiculturalism is based on his presumption you are against 'change'. That's his argument. So those that opposes multiculturalism are doing so because they don't want change. It's a terrible argument, but that is still an/his argument .

You would need to be living under a rock for quite a long time to not know about the changes going on in places like the UK. Entire towns have changed for the worse, unless you are in favour of the ultra conservative islamic way of life - in which case you should not be welcome in any western country. You should go live in one of the many fantastic locations that offer sharia law.

Whitechapel is 42% Muslim

this is also why 'white flight' (and anyone not Muslim) leaves an area like this to fester:

"

Tower Hamlets features heavily in the press at the moment over things such as death threats against a woman pharmacist who won't wear a veil, the Christian school teacher attacked and badly beating by those 4 hardliners who didn't want him teaching Islam in school, the Metropolitant Police investigating the stickers that are up all across the borough threatning gay people with death, the defacing of the H&M posters etc etc - this I think is relevant is those wanting to stay in the borough are, for example, gay, or are women who want to dress and behave as they like - it's really not a tolerant part of London, as the previous home secretary found out when he went there and was shouted down for "daring to come to a muslim part of London".

"

• Advertisement

Why do you hate gay people and why do you hate women? Why do you hate the freedom of the western world?

Why ruin good multiculturalism with the poisonous intolerance?

Just for 'change' ? Because the world always changes? We control that change and it can change for the good , not the worse.

Advertisement