Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I wire light without spur?

Options
  • 11-09-2021 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭
    Eze

If I use 2.5 wire from back of a socket can I wire a light from it without using a fused spur or is this needed in any case to provide isolation or will the switch provide isolation?

it's a small garage with a couple of sockets wired directly from a socket in the house with buried armored cable. Up to now i have just had a plug-in lamp in there.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭John.G

What I have seen (rightly or wrongly) is a socket in the house replaced with a double pole switch + (1) socket (cooker type) in the house and another DP switch in the shed supplying sockets, the lighting 1.5mm2 cable was taken from the back of this DP switch to a 6A MCB mounted on a bit of DIN rail and then to the light switch, the 6A MCB is to protect the lighting cable. (I think but not sure if there was a earth rod in the shed)

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭fiacha

Speak to a registered electrician. There are regulations for this kind of thing which they would be aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Trapeze
    Eze

I expect that there are also some registered electricians here, that's why I asked here.

Advertisement