Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Fiyatoe

Take the red and green shades off , come on let’s be realistic

keegan should have been gone to a black card for completely hauling down a man, Joe mcquillan was not good to Tyrone at all on a lot of occasions.

even if kilpatrick was sent off the game was over at that stage, we could have got 2 sent off and still won. It never looked in doubt past 63/64 mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

Keegan didnt haul anyone down, he cynically prevented the guy from going forward. A foul, a yellow but no more. Same thing tyrone were doing. He got that yellow by the way...

ohora should have gone alright, but then mccurry is a bigger loss than ohora. His goal also came in the subsequent 10 minutes...

Again i state that im not blaming the ref for losing, im just challenging this narrative that mcquillan done a lot for mayo in the game. Honestly, watch it back, it isnt the case.

As a side note. How a guy can deliberately pick the ball off the ground to prevent a certain goal and not face a sanction beyond a foul shows there is a bigger issue with the rules. I accept that the rules were applied correctly, but bigger picture, that is the sort of thing that black cards should be picking up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭MfMan

No, but he was lucky that the Mayo goalie's brain shut down. A proper goalie would have either cleaned him out or saved a tame enough parry on the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Avon8

In a previous post you say a Tyrone man shouldve been carded for the O'Hora foul, whereas here you're admitting that he shouldve been off the pitch at the time. Your other point, about someone intentionally stopping a goal by picking the ball off the ground, again that shouldn't have happened at all because it was a square ball due to DOC that wasn't given. It's a set play from a free so he can't enter until after the ball arrives into the square

That's the main two moments of the game from a referee pov, and both wrongly went mayo's way. Obviously you can dispute everything, that's the nature of a subjective refereeing game like Gaelic football. Outside of those incidents though he seemed to do ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭Exiled1

Outside view.... I have watched Mayo football back as far as the seventies. Even then there were two characteristics of the county team (every one of them) that were problematic. First they had too many 'soft ' players. To win anything you need one gouger on every line. Second they preferred to play around with the ball in an era of 'kick the f**king thing'.

Mayo teams of recent years singularly fail to understand the game is 'foot'ball, ie. you need to have kicking skills off both feet and use those skills. It was sadly illustrated in the missed chance by AOS. Sadly they prefer to attempt to handpass the ball through the lines, suicidal against most rugged defenders.

I have seen very little of Mayo club football but I guess it is soft as the county team usually has far too few genuinely physical players. The substitution of O'Hora must rank as one of the most godawful decisions in the past dozen All Ireland finals by any management team!!!

Finally...... the great Lee Keegan. What a warrior and a man who would be comfortable on any team of footballers in any era. He would have fitted nicely into the gang of toughs Offaly had in the early seventies or the flying defenders of Kerry in the seventies/eighties or any team of the noughties.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,256 ✭✭✭✭km79

its going to be a long long long week :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

Anyone who didn't perform or "show up" on Saturday needs to be cut from the panel.

Its largely the same people who perform in finals for us, mostly defenders and then you have the same players who are invisible come AI final day.

Time to cut the AI final day passengers as they never perform on the big day. Funnily enough they always show up in the early rounds in Connacht but nowhere to be found on AI final day.

And its not just the manager who has favourites. If you mention dropping certain players a lot of fans say, can't drop him.

And Horans time is up. If he managed Mayo to another 10 AI finals he'd be given a tactical schooling in each of them. Time to accept he can only bring Mayo so far but will never get them over the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

right so I’ve been brooding over and Pondering the match since the final whistle went.

huh I guess the cabin fever got me good

and Had a good few pints to drown the sorrow with a buddy all day yesterday going through the final and what went wrong.

feeling it now

Kildare Gael here - but I’m pure devastated for yeee.

I really thought Saturday was Mayo’s day. After all the hurt and pain over the years.

take a few steps back and re assess then we go again. No other option. Mayo Abuuuuuuuu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

"Anyone who didn't perform or "show up" on Saturday needs to be cut from the panel."

Give over, will you.

Should Matthew Ruane be dispensed with for one bad game ?

Should Conor Loftus be thrown on the trash pile ?

Sure get rid of Paddy Durcan too, and that O' Hora fella.

• Advertisement

You are ignoring the mccurry black card though, who went on to score a goal inside the 10 minute timeframe, that ended the game...

I get what you say re the penalty, but Mayo didnt actually score from the penalty so it had no bearing on the result...

I think the consistent deliberate fouling to prevent a goal chance not being addressed was a big factor also. It is supposed to be a card, and tyrone could have had 3 or 4 of them. That, combined with the pole axe of ohora getting no card and tyrone could have been down a man or even 2, be it red or black, down the home straight, whicu puts a different complexion on things.

Again I reitierate, Im not blaming the ref, im just challenging this narrative that mayo got all the breaks from the ref. It is just a contrived narrative from people who want to stick the boot in.

After watching it back, tyrone were actually very good on the day and didnt show an ounce of nerves. Some going. All credit to them. Ironically, our best goal chance from play was the loftus one, and it was still cleared off the line rather than missed, but it is the oshea miss people are hung up on, which was actually a tougher finish to execute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Squatman

my poorly structured surmise of the game

Tommy Conroy, ROD, POH, Lee, oisin played characteristically well.

Aiden slowed down play when he got the ball and allowed Tyrone to regroup, killing mayos momentum.

All players over-carried and brought the ball into tackles

Mayo allowed Tyrone to jaunt up the field un-obstructed, where tyrone challenged mayo relentlessly.

I dont think anyone should have been black carded, yes you could say to the letter of the law that bla bla bla, but i dont think the game had that overly malicious feel to it, and ref was right to let it flow.

Conor Loftus was very poor, and made poor decisions, and should have been off after half time. Aiden should have been removed after halft time. POH should not have been removed, with the disclaimer * i think Horan took him off as he had come into the refs crosshairs for what could have been deemed a black card*

Hennelly, probably could have done more to save one of the goals, but he did do more right that wrong in the game.

Kevin McLaughlin was a little timid and unwilling to take shots on. Neither bad nor good

Jordan Flynn should have replaced Aiden, and not POH. Michael Plunkett should have been off first. Jordan didn't have a great game, but good to see him lose and not strangle someone. - shows good potential :)

Aidan Orme, dont recall him touching the ball, i presume he came on for Bryan Walsh. This sub should have happened earlier. in fact, if COC was allowed on with crutches might have had a better contribution 🤣.

Darren Coen, dont remember seeing him up to much

Penalty miss was a terrible result. i dont care if a penalty is saved, but it should never be wide of the target. From watching world cup this year, it should have been clear not to hesitate in teh run up to the ball. never ends well.

its telling that we only have tommy capable of scoring mroe than 1 from play. Really need a forwards coach if we dont already have one, and it would be advisable for the guys to keep practicing during the winter months. Seems a lack of confidence in their own ability, which will only develop with practice.

Ryan O'Donoghue 0-8 (0-7f), Tommy Conroy 0-2, Patrick Durcan 0-1, Rob Hennelly 0-1 (0-1f), Stephen Coen 0-1, Lee Keegan 0-1, Kevin McLoughlin 0-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Avon8

What minute was this McCurry haul down on Keegan you're mentioning? Can't remember it so il go back and take a look

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭nialler1978

That super witty comment has already been made. Any attempt at discussion to try and argue your point? Or you just don’t have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

has anyone checked in with David Brady since Saturday morning or is he still on another planet?

These are the days that I find the hardest, the ones straight after the final.

I live outside the county, and in the build up I have thoughts of heading home to Mayo after the game, sampling the atmosphere, enjoying the huge buzz of what could be once in a generation event.

I was just about to turn 18 in 1989 and remember that Monday night homecoming well, now I'm almost 50 and I just want one more great night out in town, meeting old friends, talking football, having fantasizes about meeting and shifting girls that you wanted to shift in 1989 but were never able to, and being almost 18 again.

It's a big chunk of escapism.

But it never happens.

And the worst part is the morning after the game, when it's 7am and I'm looking in the bathroom mirror brushing my teeth with noting to look forward only getting kids up for school, making lunches, going to work and all the usual mundane hum drum of autumn life, the weather turning, the days getting short, and long long winter ahead.

It's feckin awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Stating that Donal Vaughan is an all time great is one of the daftest things Ive ever heard. Not even Donal Vaughan thinks that. Lee Keegan is Mayos best ever plalyer by a considerable distance. End of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

I can deal with complete and utter sh1tetalk from posters on the main thread who haven't a notion about Mayo football......it annoys me when it's coming from the odd eejit of our own.

What actually is the story with Horan's tenure by the way ?

He has been there 3 season since his return

Was he on a 3 year term ?

Will there be people looking for his head ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Hes in 2 of a 3yr term

FFS...do you seriously think the guy has a tactical masterclass in him in an AI final?

He's just been undone by two NOVICES at senior managerment level.

How many more sh*tshow finals are you willing to watch from Mayo?

10 more?

People were saying during Horans first tenure he was tactically naive. Against Donegal 2012, Dublin 2013, Kerry 2014. Second tenure hasn't been much better.

We carried about 5 players for most of the final who were left on for most of the game.

We don't have a midfield.

I could outline several more issues but I can tell I'm wasting my time with you.

Clearly you think Horan is God...those who actually understand football know he is not good enough to get Mayo over the line. That has been made clear on numerous occassions.

His time with Mayo football should be done. Time to move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

This was his third year of a four-year tenure AFAIK.

Pretty demanding of the County Board to cut his term short after reaching two successive AIFs...

If you want Mayo to reach another AI final next year and be embarrassed again, Horan is your man.

If you want something else, then he isn't. Unfortunately some people are content for Mayo to reach and be beaten in finals year in year out because they know no better.

Our performance on Saturday was poor, embarrassingly poor. There is no evidence to point to the fact there is an AI in this manager or the team as it stands.

A mass clearout is required. Can't keep carrying 4 or 5 passengers into a final and hope to win. It won't happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Certainly looks like there are people looking for his head. Not sure what the alternative is, or who would be available and willing to take it on.

I probably should have clarified - anyone with a history of not performing in AI finals should be cut from the panel. We all know who these players are, you could name a few yourself.

Paddy Durcan is a proven performer on the biggest stage, he's always up for the battle, as are nearly all our defenders. There isn't one of our defenders Durcan included I would drop as they are all warriors.

That aside, we had at least 4 luxury players on the field on Saturday, what John O'Mahoney would call "Fancy Dans". They get on the ball a lot, no end product, can't score, can't tackle, no pace or stamina. You can carry 1 luxury player into a final at most, you can't carry 4.

This is basic stuff.

And the buck ALWAYS stops at the manager and selectors.

I'm looking in the bathroom mirror brushing my teeth with noting to look forward only getting kids up for school, making lunches, going to work and all the usual mundane hum drum of autumn life

eh Father Tod😜

I can only think of a single player right now that fits your "They get on the ball a lot, no end product, can't score, can't tackle, no pace or stamina."

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lillielad

The talk of getting rid of Horan is madness, I don't think anyone after Cillian got inured thought Mayo were going to get to an All Ireland final, the majority were happy with Connaught. Obviously, after beating the Dubs we all dared to dream and it's devastating to lose the final after the chances that presented themselves. In all it has been a very successful year. There's a quality young team there and with the likes of Cillian to come back and the likes of Hession, Mullen, Plunkett, Ruane, Tommy, ROD and Eoghan McClaughlin all gaining more experience and hopefully becoming better players there is going to be more chances moving forward. Hopefully, Keegan gives it another go, the lad is immense.

Back to my first point, I don't think there is a better manager out there at bringing on young players I would do all I could to keep him. Has Mayo ever been as good consistently in modern history, I genuinely don't think so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭joe35

Just observing here and thought I'd post this comment.

In the lions series when Gatlan dropped O'Driscoll I thought it was a master stroke. It took all the pressure off the team and put it onto the management. He didn't even put O'Driscoll on the bench.

If Horan had to drop O'Shea I think it may have taken a lot of pressure from the players on the field.

They may have felt 'feck this' we have to give it everything or I'm off.

I think that's where Horan wasn't brave enough. Make the tough decision and take the pressure off the team.

Enjoyed the game all the same, just feel mayo need to pull a rabbit out of the hat, WHEN, they get to another final and do something unexpected.

There were 20 Mayo players/management more culpable for the defeat than Aiden o'Shea. He had a solid enough game was probably best Mayo player behind keegan and Cohen.

So how you rate our forwards play on Saturday? What do you think forwards should do? Is it acceptable in an AI final that you have at least 3 forwards who can't shoot, score, tackle, or with little vision or composure on front of goals? And that the same players have been the same in every final they played in?

The ability to score would be the first on my list. Composure next. Vision. pace, movement, and in the modern game the ability to tackle and stop your opponents defenders coming out with the ball.

How many of our forwards ticked most of those boxes?

For most of the game I saw Tyrone half backs in particular waltzing out with barely a hand laid on them because certain (older) players dont have the physicality or pace to do anything about it.

How many players were we carrying on Saturday?

Do you think selection was all over the place? And Tyrone had a field day against our tactics.

And we tried to go through a championship season with only one recognised midfielder and no-one to come off the bench in that crucial area.

Our final performance was a mess.

He'd be an excellent U20 manager to bring new players in and coach them, he certainly has a talent for that. Maybe someone with a bit more awareness needed for the senior team. Horan always seemed to be able to discover new players and form a good team, but lacked the fine decisions needed to win a final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

It passed a lot of them by in fairness.

A lot of the old failings that has cost Mayo dear over the years.

Some people both on the pitch and the sideline didn't show up.

Tyrone were simply the better team and the better led team.

Once again the old reliables showed up like they have in every past All Ireland they have played.

Keegan, Durcan deserve better no more that Barrett, Boyler, Higgins, Clarke did from their years of service.

Other younger lads like Coen, Conroy and O'Donoghue did their bit, but there were way too many passengers.

The supposed new best midfield pairing in the country looking hopeless, one couldn't even properly punch someone and the other took every wrong option available.

Saturday kinda puts the Galway and Dublin's teams' displays in perspective.

Galway were terrible in second half and so were Dublin, who will be back next yesterday once they have stopped fighting with each other.

Horan simply does not have the ability to win and sadly saturday proved it once again.

At times it looked clueless.

I have defended O'Shea and no one can fault his effort and dedication for the cause, but seriously as a forward/midfielder of his supposed stature to have played in 7 All Irelands (including replay) and to have never scored is a damming indictment. Boyler, Higgins, Vaughan, Leroy have scored more than him.

How he remained on the pitch is one of the mysteries of the year.

To dispatch Dublin, who granted weren't great, but still a hugely psychological monkey to get off the back and then go out and play like they did in the final to a team with no associated baggage is gut wrenching.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭pimpmyhat

I can't agree with that he had plenty of errors. A great point chance missed to put us maybe 6-5 up. Won the throw in at the start of the second half and with the resulting free kicked it straight to a tyrone defender.

Also a stray handpass when in on goal around the 70 min mark.

How you think he was our third best performer ill never know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭flasher0030

I don't see how the buck always stops with the manager and selectors. They can do their best to get a team to be the finished product. But the players need to perform. If they flop on the day, that is outside the managers control. The manager can replace them, but what great messiah do Mayo have to come off the bench.

Bit like yourself, I think Mayo are a good few players from an All-Ireland winning team. I wouldn't call them fancy dans though. They are doing their best. I would categorise fancy dans as showboating. There is none of that on the team. I could name a few who I think fall short at All-Ireland level; just don't have the x-factor when coming up against a fully peaked, well-conditioned, speedy team in the final - Michael Plunkett, Conor Loftus, And I know these might be controversial but I'd put big Aidan, Kevin Mc and Diarmuid O'Connor in there as well. Four of the 5 I mentioned there don't have the pace to do damage in an All-Ireland. That being said, I know it's harsh on DOC after he nearly stretched his entire body out of position to reach that ball in the Dublin game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭PressRun

See O'Shea is coming in for the predictable enough criticism. There are people who would be giving out about him no matter what way he played.

Like I said, he wasn't our worst player on the day. Not by a long shot. That title is split between Conor Loftus and Matthew Ruane, I'm afraid.

The problem O'Shea has is that the game has steadily moved away from the type of player he is over the last few years. Pace and pure athleticism has replaced stature and even strength in some ways. Look at young Murchan for Dublin - he's a wee slip of a thing, but he can burn anyone you like for pace all day. Or Brian Fenton - this man is a pure athlete. O'Shea is unfortunately not an athlete like Brian Fenton, and pace has always been a problem for him. It didnt matter so much a few years back, because the big stocky midfielder was still somewhat the order of the day, but things have been moving away from that as far back as even 2016.

It's very unfortunate and I think he has been a great player for us over the years and dug us out of many holes. I don't actually think he owes anyone an explanation or an apology or whatever it is people want from him. I think he has been probably had an unfair level of expectation placed on him by people who saw him as a minor and think for some reason that he needed to be the greatest player of all time.

The game is moving away from his type of player though. That is unfortunately a fact. I find it sad as I feel he has always tried very hard, and I've never agreed with the level of criticism he gets, especially from people who have never kicked a ball let alone played consistently at the top level. But it's difficult to see where he fits into the game now.

What players do you feel were better than him? For me Keegan was outstanding, Cohen was good, O'Shea was good,Conroy was ok. After that everyone underperformed fairly spectacularly. I'm not saying he was outstanding but don't understand why everything gets hung on him.

At the risk of sounding like a certain pundit who I don't always agree with, there just isn't a high performance culture at the moment in Mayo.

You have half the team who are playing high performance and the other half are not. No hope of an AI while this continues. Mayo seems to be stuck in a rut which they can't get out of, good enough to get to finals but don't have that X factor to get them over the line. I don't see next year being any different.

• Advertisement

But he has rebuilt the team, to a greater extent than I had anticipated. How many players from his first tenure are likely to be starting next season: Hennelly, Keegan, Cillian, maybe Kevin Mac. Mayo doesn't have an inexhaustible supply of talented young players; any manager would have to work with largely the current panel.

I wouldn't be surprised if 3 of those 4 you listed retired now. No 1 priority must be unearthing and developing a keeper, It's been a huge weakness for over a decade.

The huge weakness for a decade has 2 all stars

Clarke was a fine keeper but his kicking at times was not at the required level. Hennely is a better kicker but his decision making has cost Mayo goals in 3 finals.

Whatever about a keeper we need to find 2 or 3 midfielders. Loftus is not a midfielder, and not sure he's a forward either!

you and gaelic football is like you and plumbing, you are out of your depth.

Conor Mortimer was a fart of a player. a strong breeze would turn him over. Insanely accurate. nothing more

Donal Vaughan, red card, all ireland final,

Andy moran, one of the best. His best days came when he was well north of 30. a very intelligent player.

Liam mchale, the self confessed greatest coach in the country. cant remember who else you mentioned. but yes, Lee is the best EVER for MAYO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,798 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Not a regular on this thread but always keep an eye on it.

Was one of those that was confident of getting a result in this game, but didn't manage to get a ticket for the game so didn't see it or have the full pitch view of it.

Obviously these guys put a hell of a lot into playing and manageing/coaching mayo over the past number of years and their committment, dedication and desire should not come under any question.

All that being said.

Tyrone were the better team on the day. You'd swear we'd never seen them play against Kerry. We condinually slowed down play too much, which played into their hands (when we didnt we did well) and we carried the ball into the tackle a number of times).

O Shea has come in for some criticism - personally, I think he does slow down play too much for the profile of team we now have. We need to keep things moving and moving fast - he doesn't help with this. But there were a number of players who simply didn't perform for one reason or another. That said, I wouldnt be writing any of them off.

I was also a bit disappointed with the amount of players who remained on the pitch despite their performances. Perhaps a reflection on the bench.

Felt for Keegan and Coen who had outstanding games.

Will be trying to avoid all of the analysis on the TV/podcasts and print media for the next while. All captain hindsight type of stuff.

We can analyse this one for ages and probably will but this was one that really got away. It was a complete disaster when you consider our performances over the past number of years. Very hard to take any positives from it at all.

Are we talking early rounds in Connacht when every Mayo player looks like the GAA equivalent of Messi, or All-Ireland finals such as last Saturday when a large number of players did next to nothing and yes couldn't shoot, pass, tackle, with no pace or stamina?

Because at this stage, no one gives a damn about how good some players are in the Connacht championship.

I agree with the criticism loftus is getting, but part of me has to give him credit for being willing to take on the shots when others seemed unwilling. He tried to win a few fouls in front of the posts, which was a good idea in the circumstances. One of them probably was a foul to be fair, others not so much, but there is football intellect there. I felt that even under pressure, he was trying to lead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The curse is in the players heads. They always find a way to lose in AI Finals.

Tyrone won in 2nd gear.

• Advertisement
Advertisement