Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying something A&R from the US and shipped via USPS? Tariff code fun!

Options
  • 13-09-2021 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭

If you have had something since mid'21 shipped with a crayon applied address and stamps with no issues :) awesome! I think this is more for items which the USians use the online USPS 'create/buy a shipping label' as it creates the official custom type label which if they just do the minimum form filling, it leaves the tariff code sections blank = bad times. This might also apply to other non-EU locations.

If the tariff code section is blank on a shipping label, there is a high chance it will just be bounced back to the sender by AnPost. This is due to every thing now coming into Ireland/EU is assessed for VAT/Duty and if a package might need some manual work by AnPost to identify the tariff, they just bounce it. I'd guess this is due to the volume they now need to process so I kinda understand why.

So, if dealing with a seller direct (eBay, forums), they are at-least US based and planning to use USPS - they'll need to enter info in the 'Harmonised System'/HS or tariff code box. That should be '8471 90' I believe general electronics but many someone will know a better code and can share? The below link has more info for USians;

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭Inviere

Aye, I bought a C64 PSU from Ray Carlsen in the states. It's taking suspiciously long to get here, and I suspect this is what has happened. Zero contact from An Post either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

Not the US, but I had some PCBs from Raphnet returned to sender. AnPost wouldn’t elaborate, but apparently there’s all sorts of stuff being omitted from the electronic customs declaration.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

You aren't An Posts customer so they won't contact you, the sender is their customer and as said anything wrong they return it to their customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

The 'electronic customs declaration' is basically the tariff info not being entered when the sender is buying/generating a postage label - could well be AnPost workers getting return happy with the volume they now need to screen.

People would have been used to having AnPost ask them for paper work for a incoming delivery to see what it is, cost etc. but yea, they aren't doing that now.

Best ensure you throw in a comment on any non-EU orders being posted to you, that they include the tariff info on the shipping information or have a large chance of it being bounced back to them by AnPost

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭Inviere

Yeah true enough. It'd save an awful lot of time, hassle, money, and pollution though if they could just reach out and ask for clarification on any ambiguous imports. I know the volumes are high though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭dav09

I usually use 9504302000 commodity code for arcade machines and other gaming stuff when I'm importing typically.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,323 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Aye

95045000 is a general classification for video game consoles or accessories etc that don't fall under game machines operated via some sort of payment or tokens or something like that

Most imports of late I've received tend to fall under that code, or variation on such.

Thanks for the info lads, taking a stab at this so from how I read them;

9504 30 10 - being arcade cabs as it would have a screen installed

9504 30 20 - seems to cover arcade game boards more so, parts too maybe?

9504 50 00 - Video game consoles and machines which aren't for funfair/table/parlour games/pintables/billiards - no coin play

8471 90 - should cover computers like Pi, Amiga, PCs etc. which aren't dedicated video game machines but general computers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭The Last Bandit

I'd stuff from the UK returned by AnPost as well, total pain in the o. Not sure if it a problem with the seller not completing the customs forms or what :(

I'd be 95% sure the seller didn't fill in the forms right - hopefully the postal services in the US/UK will move not to accept any shipments from their folks to the EU without some sort of tariff info on.

Another Boards thread on folks having issues here

• Advertisement

Just about to send something to the US via AnPost and seems they have a semi user friendly TARIC code lookup site - might be useful to someone;

https://www.anpost.com/Commerce/Parcel-Solutions/International-Parcels/Find-a-TARIC-Commodity-code

Advertisement