Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Alternative News Channel "GB News" chaired by Andrew Neil launching - read OP before posting

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's only law and order for other people. Personal responsibility is for other people, etc.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 611 ✭✭✭maik3n

Our good friends at GBeebies always championing the best causes 🙄

Mind you, is there anything to say that RCB has toned down his performances in recent years or are they still relatively the same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,578 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

^

In fairness, Royston Vasey's act is really just an act. He's supposed to be an ass on stage. That's the point. It's akin to Al Murray's shtick. It's about highlighting gobshitery. You're supposed to be laughing at it, not with it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I wouldn't have said people here were a "baying mob". Too much mockery and laughter for it to have ever been hostile. Hard to take people seriously when they're so openly sycophantic towards someone like Nigel Farage. And it was sycophancy, plain to see.

To the follow-on point, Roy Chubby Brown? Jesus Christ, chalk that up as yet another irrelevant dinosaur I presumed was long dead. No great loss there; any comedian who "punches down" doesn't get to cry foul when the world tells him to fúck off. Easy to mock blacks or gay people when they had to keep their heads down, their existence legislated against and weren't part of society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,576 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

And Jim Davidson was just satirising wife beaters and racists... suuure.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

And, let's not forget, Daniel Hannan was pretending to embezzle that money, was lampooning nazis when he compared a German MEP to Hitler and was obviously taking the piss when he tweeted a picture of the Canadian countryside and called it England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

If there is one thing that GBnews is truely championing it's the minor celebrity I thought was long dead.

Also we need to change the thread title to "formerly chaired by Andrew Neil"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭Rawr

The way things are going, in the few months that title will need to be:

Defunct Alternative News Channel "GB News" formerly chaired by Andrew Neil

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's the sort of crybullying narrative that characterises modern conservatism perfectly. Have all the power, cater to your base's desperate need for cruelty and validation, couch your arguments in the most extreme rhetoric possible but act like the biggest victim as often as possible.

And Roy Chubby Brown? I don't even know who this is beyond being a comedian, allegedly. Someone once told me a joke from him once and I just shrugged. I just found it tiresomely misogynistic and I was 18 at the time. I wonder where this trend of digging up irrelevant nobodies from yesteryear has come from. Are the 10 people who watch GB News already fed up with Farage, Dewbs & co?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

It reminds me of an episode of the Simpsons where a politician just gives up on issues and talks to Grandpa and the old folks about Matlock.

It's just comfort food for old people who are confused by the modern world

• Advertisement

No. Davidson's a different kettle of fish altogether.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's probably just another, more outsized variant of that malaise and confusion wrought by simply growing old. Perhaps made worse by the fact some icons from one's past have become more than just irrelevant - but toxic as well. And so rather than consider that maybe, just maybe, those old jokes punching down at gays and black people belong in the past; but instead resist the tide, and presume the youth are too sensitive, that it's "cancel culture" at fault. One's own youth & nostalgia under attack, and by extension - the self.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,060 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Powerful well thought out piece from Neil Oliver on how our world has changed since 9/11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Well now I know GB news really is complete trash. Nothing better than Infowars.

My sweet god what a load of crap. That's the first time I actually approached a GBnews segment with a bit of hope as I thought Oliver was just that nice guy who talks about vikings and Robert Bruce and stuff and is also qualified to talk about historical events

But no how quickly 9/11 was spun to blame cancel culture for the Taliban victory and within 3 minutes has ditched talking about 9/11 despite it being a 9/11 segment and rants instead about lockdown (which is also to blame for the Taliban)

Turns into a load of old bollocks after 3 minutes.

The Taliban are back in power because Trump put them there after negotiating a deal with them for that very purpose. It had fuck all to do with people worrying about "pronouns" or the "colour of their skin", nor has it anything to do with Covid restrictions or any other shite like that.

That screed was neither "powerful" nor "well thought out", but merely a jumbled collection of unrelated sentences that, in the end, sounded pretty meaningless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,974 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Did you agree with his view that the words 'Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses' as inscribed in the Statue of Liberty epitomize the ideals of the most aspirational ethos of any country on the planet?

Or what did you think of him referring to WB Yeats as 'The English Poet'?

Do you think that governments should not take steps to protect their citizens from the words pandemic in their lifetime?

Do you have issues with having id cards to grant access to workplaces, schools, gyms, shopping center reward schemes etc etc, that have been in place for years? Do you have an issue with the imposition of laws forcing drivers to wear safety belts which are solely for the purpose of their own safety?

I got about a minute in. I thought he was just going to waffle but this is no surprise.

Shame on the user for sharing this disingenuous piece of propaganda, and call it "powerful". I've enjoyed Oliver's TV history, even have his books on my shelf but his attempt to hijack the solemnity of the 9/11 anniversary for some intellectual cheap-shots, playing the stations Greatest Hits, reveals a man incapable of parsing the present.

Trying to conflate "pronouns" with the resurgence of the Taliban, or CoVid conspiracy for the same, is shameless and shows the man perhaps needs to live in the modern day for a time. This station truly is pathetically one note: that on this occasion they still can't resist their obsession with "cancel culture". Oliver started out eloquently enough, you can tell he was once a TV historian, then dovetailed into turgid waffle.

The Taliban won cos the west took on social causes like trans rights. Or how we treated a pandemic seriously. I've heard it all. I guess for the intellectually stunted, it would be hard to contemplate having multiple ideological concepts at a time without deciding they were all connected.

To be honest, I didn't get far into it. I can't really comprehend the sort of cretin that looks at the 20-year anniversary of a terrorist attack and thinks how he can twist the narrative to pander to the trash that needs something like GB news by vindicating their victimhood.

Thankfully, I never got round to buying any of his books.

• Advertisement

He was a good TV historian in his defence. An evocative speaker who brought old places and people alive (his history of Scotland a good read in parallel. Making the days of rotating kingdoms accessible is an underappreciated art TBH).

But if he bothered to read modern history, he'd also have known the Taliban weren't responsible for 911, no matter how repugnant their beliefs are. His speech suggested otherwise. Even if we divorce the inappropriate and arrogant segue (it's like interrupting a funeral to make a speech about chem-trails), Oliver shows he is singularly unqualified to speak of recent events. Or contains the intellectual capacity to parse separate, unrelated causes.

As with all these "look at this amazing piece", it only reveals more of the poster than the content. An eagerness to affirm a bias than genuinely challenge a position with some credibility. There have been plenty of assessments of 911s legacy - not least from the pov of America's mistakes since - jamming in screeds about CoVid is hot garbage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,297 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think the fact he got through that piece without interviewing someone who was kinda famous in the 80's probably does make it the most powerful piece GB News has done so far.

Might see if I can get it second hand or at a charity shop.

It's just yet another perfect example of what GB News exists to do. Promote the culture war while pandering to people who are so stunted they can't have their views challenged.

The constant dumping of GB News material here is just lazy, to be honest. No effort, no work and no effort to engage just dumping a link and hope other people watch it. No thanks.

The irony is, given how his speech started off trumpeting the importance of America as beacon of freedom (mythical it may be), Oliver completely skirted past the various actual, legislative erosions to democratic freedoms 911 ushered in; the increased militarisation of civil services like the police; and so on. So much to dissect there alone ... But no. Pronouns are the real evils to freedom since the towers fell. If it wasn't gross it'd be funny.

Precisely. GB News does not exist to question power, it exists to frustrate accountability. Blathering on about pronouns is supposed to distract us while we're extorted by the state and our freedoms are eroded, one example being the protest ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I've seen about five minutes of GB news since it started and was never a fan of Andrew Neil but when you say " have all the power " while referring to " modern conservativism "

What area are you specifically referring to?

In terms of cultural power ( which has never been more important) , the progressive left is Golliath today ,it's amusing however how progressives like to view themselves as plucky outsider's in this regard.

Em, we've had a conservative government for over a decade now. Combine that with the fact that the media is overwhelmingly right wing here and you have pretty much as much control as someone can in a democracy.

• Advertisement

This is an Irish site so it's a reasonable question.

I accept the media in the UK have a fair percentage of conservative thinkers, at least compared to this place.

What the likes of GBnews some of its guests and it's followers can't figure out is being tolerant of homosexuality isn't even progressive anymore

Notwithstanding how "cultural power" is an empty phrase up there with "silent majority" ... it a concept entirely defined by both the people, and the artists within: art - by its very nature - leans progressive because it demands an interrogation towards the status-quo (hence why there are so few right-wing artists); while the people dictate the direction of social models - assuming that country's political institutions allow that voice to shout loudest.

As seen here; where, when the people were asked the simple questions, abortion and same-sex marriage were OK'ed with gusto. No great silent majority shot down either, despite a very vocal cadre of worriers and cultural gate-keepers insisting otherwise. Ergo, the cultural power is ours. IF anything, the people saw it as a bit of legislative housekeeping to keep up with attitudes 10/20 years ahead of the law.

GB News modelled itself off of outrage from a few key concepts, ideas that the channel utterly over-estimated the resistance over. Neil Oliver trying to link 9/11 to trans rights is shameless and craven; while overall, it has trumpeted itself as a great challenger to some sinister cultural conspiracy, without thinking that the population are completely happy with this "conspiracy" - because at worst has no effect on their lives; and at best, improves the lives of their family, friends and neighbours.

The great, current danger to society are not pronouns. It's the Gig Economy. Let's hear GB News attack that for a change. I'll wait.

The great, current danger to society are not pronouns. It's the Gig Economy. Let's hear GB News attack that for a change. I'll wait.

You'll be left waiting. But then again, who actually is tackling that issue? The last person in the Dail that I can remember continually trying to drive that home was probably Joe Higgins. But he was never in a position to truly do anything other than highlight it. The Shinners might make mention of it here and there, but they don't do enough IMHO. The rest, including our current coalition and the woefully impotent Labour Party, appear to be broadly in favour of boom and bust, where the wealthy can weather the inevitable storms that succeed periods of unsustainable growth. Into the bargain, people's jobs are becoming more and more transitory and conditions that were fought for during the 20th Century are being "progressively" eroded, often by stealth. And nobody in actual power seems to give a damn.

It's nowhere near a fair percentage, it's almost completely owned by a few right wing old men.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I really enjoy Farage’s show. Talking pints is great. Im not a brexit fan so some of that gets a bit waffly but he’s spot on about immigration and many other issues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

No it's not, he mentions brexit every 2 minutes, it's all he has, he's a one trick pony. His "guests" (the ones he actually has on) are all has beens who wouldn't get a gig anywhere else, this shows how desperate GB "news" is to have someone....ANYONE come on and talk crap for 10 minutes.

Post edited by Timberrrrrrrr on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭Cody montana

It’s official: I have resigned as Chairman and Lead Presenter of GB News.

Andrew Neil.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Lost implants

This holiday is turning into a sabbatical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,297 ✭✭✭✭Penn

It'd be hilarious if it wasn't for the fact that...

No, wait... it is hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Rumours are he will be a twice weekly guest on Farage's hour of hate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,974 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

He was quick to change his tune about Romanian immigrants when Raducanu won a tennis major wasn't he. Funny that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,324 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Ha ha rats and a sinking ship...seems rightly embarrassed by the total shambles of a station

The damage is done. He's exposed himself as nothing more than a hack The only reason anyone ever thought more of him was because of BBC standards.

Will be interesting to see where he ends up next; whether the stink of GB News' mania for cancel culture follows him, or if he manages to distance himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

The same Nigel Farage who hates multiculturalism and once said he wouldn't be comfortable living next door to Romamian, but just congratulated a multicultural half-Romanian woman on winning a tennis match....?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,307 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Hilarious, wish Eskimo would come back and give their take on this but i think they are well and truly gone with their tail between their legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭francois

Anyways, it's a pretty grim picture for GB News. Hilarious also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

He'll be on the next episode of Question Time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,376 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

What a complete charlatan and absolute clown.

This channel needs to be put to death, now, for the sake of those behind the camera to have some hope of getting other work in the future. There isn't a presenter on it that won't wash up at some Tory rag tabloid and get a column.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement