Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Fanofconnacht

This is part of reason why Mayo have lost so many All ireland finals. We don't accept or listen to narratives that do not align with our own pre-concieved notions. I am a real Mayo fan and I totally agree with Joe Brolly. 11 years 6 finals lost plus 4 semis why. On the other hand why have Tyrone won 4 out of 5 finals in less than 20 years. Joe is right it is culture. Mayo in theory has way more going for it in terms of playing population and a stronger level of club success. I expect that Mayo also has more money to put behind the team. So what else can Tyrone have that makes them more successful than Mayo except a better culture. There are none so blind as those who do not wish to see. There is something rotton at the heart of Mayo GAA and the Mayo Senior Team preventing success. Joe Brolly knows what it takes to win an All Ireland, there are only two Mayo alive who have similar knowledge. In 1948-51 Mayo played in 3 finals and won two. Undoubtly the culture was right then. We need a better and more professional County Board, an independent manager without favorites, a squad of equal players loyal to each other and management, focused on winning an Ireland and not on commercial events or being social media stars.If we do not learn from History we are doomed to repeat it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Dick Turnip

Wouldn't say Tyrone won in 2nd gear but they won without hitting 5th anyway. Conor McKenna was very poor I thought but they had a very good bench coming in in fairness.

Neutral view here (although I was rooting for Mayo, can't begrudge Tyrone that AI either - they had by far the hardest route of anyone in this or recent years to win that out). I wouldn't lay the blame at AOS at all, I think everyone is latching on to the stat about not scoring in a final. Whilst it is a poor one, didn't think he was awful on Saturday.

Your midfield was completely steamrolled. Was it Loftus that missed the open goal on the rebound in the 1st half? Brilliant defending but you got to bury that.

Hennelly wasn't great for the first goal but awful for the second, completely caught in no man's land, was never getting to that ball in, should have stayed on the line. Also missed 2 of 3 long range frees I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

While I rate Tyrone a good team, agreed, they never got out of second gear. The amount of space they got for some of the scores, players in acres of space, no-one near. Their defenders could walk the ball out of defence with very little pressure until they met our half backs. And they kicked a number of kickable scores wide. They probably didn't play to their best and yet still won easily enough.

Well said and agreed there is something not great at the heart of Mayo GAA as we've seen numerous times over the years. Ego has a lot to do with it. Being in a position to get tickets for games is also a major part of it.

Personally I think we missed an opportunity with Kevin McStay a few years ago. The fact that the players dictated they didn't like him and/or his coach says it all, ie calling the shots despite not having won anything of substance.

Certain high profile players like Horan because Horan won't drop them. Maybe time for an outside manager or at the very least like you say a manager without favourites.

It’s not culture. It’s down to basic skills training. Not enough time spent on repetitive practice of basic kick passing and shooting skills all the way from under 10s through to senior inter county. It is that repetition that ensures the basic skills don’t let you down when the pressure is on. We have all seen all our forwards shoot the lights out in lower pressure games which proves they have the ability, but if often desserts us when the pressure is on. As long as I have watched Mayo, the ability to convert under pressure has been an issue, and not just in all Ireland’s, so is systematic in the way we coach footballers.

Back to when I played, shooting practice was often a chaotic, disorganised affair and something makes me think this has continued.

Another factor I noted when I played and wonder does it still continue is that we always tended to pull the strongest players back to midfield and the half backs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,798 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Agreed. This "Culture nonsense" is just that - nonsense.

Especially coming from Brolly. Would love to have read the article he had pre prepared had Mayo won.

All of these hindsight merchants are the same - full of guff.

There are so many variables in a 70 plus minute match - culture doesn't come into it at all - tis pure nonsense.

You say its not culture and then you outline a culture of not teaching basic skills training as well as not trying to produce strong forwards like a David Clifford or the like.

I think we can all agree it is culture, starting from kids training up.

In fairness to Horan he can only work with what he's given, but that said he's still in charge of tactics and making changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Well every county seems to have a core ethos that doesn't change very much. Kerry for example value forward over all else and defense often costs them especially recently. As long as Ive followed Mayo football and I go back to early 80s, Mayo have produced very good defenders but always seemed to lack uninhibited forwards. It was Tyrones superior shooting that won the game. Our half backs are better shooters than our forwards. I don't know for sure that this is down to culture at development level but I suspect it is. Mayo seem to value S+C over skill.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭jay1988

Could anyone elaborate on the whole undropable players and cliques within the Mayo panel rumours? Its something I've heard a few times over the years but could never get a definitive answer from anyone on it.

Also I've seen a few comments around Mayo players and their commercial commitments, what's that all about?

• Advertisement

What is culture though? I don't think "not training basic skills" - which is a nonsense anyway, is in any way linked to the type of culture Brolly was trying to talk about.

Look, if these lads weren't taught basic skills they wouldn't have made two all ireland finals. It's that simple.

Is it a "pressure" thing? Is the weight of expectation too much on these shoulders? It's much more likely be a mental thing, than a physical/cultural/ skill based issue at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Blackjack

it's horse manure, basically. All of it.

Aido does a small bit of promotion for a mobile phone shop and the out of touch folk who have a passing interest in GAA and lose their **** over it, equating that to the reason Mayo haven't won an all Ireland.

Certain pundits blab on about it due to personal vendettas they have with certain players, broadly due to the woman they are having relations which (not their wives) being pretty incompetent at organizing some fairly rudimentary things in a role they were appointed to do. Because players wanted a reasonable standard of logistics and organisation, and said as much as part of the heave of getting rid of joint managers, said pundit has taken it upon themselves to take a pretty nasty and spiteful hate campaign as part of their opinion pieces against Aido and certain other players. It's odd because the incompetent girlfriend probably only got the job because she was riding your man anyway, and the 2 joint manager plebs felt it would be good kudos from your man in his puff pieces or something.

But the trolls lap it up, and tell us all that the weasel pundit is right, so that they can feel like they know what they are on about.

A bit like our moss here

This is a fantastic post. I'd nearly print it off frame it and hang it on the wall. Thank you, genuinely.

High performance culture...Like Limerick hurlers have, Dublin footballers had and Tyrone have also managed to attain.

It means 3 or 4 players fighting for every position, no sacred cows or undroppable players, if you aren't good enough this year you are dropped to the bench or retired, no matter how many All Stars or All-Ireland medals you have in your back pocket. One of the reasons why Dublin won 8 AIs in ten years and why Limerick won 3 in 4. That kind of culture. Basically if you aren't good enough, you're dropped, no sentiment, no favourites, good luck to you and bring up the next guy.

And that's just the tip of the iceberg from a culture point of view. There is also tactics, match analysis (of which there seems to have been none done on Tyrone and their kickout strategy in particular).

Surely if culture was that key, Dublin wouldn't have lost to us a few weeks ago or have they lost their "culture"?

3 or 4 players fighing for every position is simply not feasibily outside of major population centres.

• Advertisement

But can you name the players that will take the places of these "undroppable " players once they are dropped. What wonderkid is missing out?

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭lillielad

Has Horan not always preferred a young lad over a more experienced player? If the players are there I think he would prick them.

In terms of forwards, Darren Coen should have been on much earlier which means taking off one of the "undroppables".

There was plenty more examples. Our three half forwards never got into the game, it passed them by mostly. Now if they can't make an impact, their legs are gone and they can't score, what on earth are they doing on the field? At most they are impact players if even.

Couldn't take anyone off from midfield because we have no midfielders I know of on the subs bench. Which is damning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

That's a brilliant post,I was going to respond but I couldn't have said it any better.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭jay1988

Appreciate the reply! Always struck me as bitterness on the part of former players/pundits when they harp on about players and commercial deals, pure begrudgery that these amateur players are able to make a few quid on the side while playing.

Another thing I heard a few years ago from a Mayo man I used to work with was that there was some outside influences that had massive pull with the county board and also players from certain clubs hadn't a chance of making the county panel, surely this can't be true and the panel is being picked from every available player from every club?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

You also have to take into account the performances of the opposition in finals against Mayo. Looking back on the last decade 2016 final(s) was Mayos best opportunity of winning.

2012 - a great start for Donegal which allowed them to play the game on their own terms and keep Mayo at arms length

2013 - this was a decent but not world beater performance by Dublin. Scored their goals at important stages and conceded no goal themselves was key.

2016 - Dublin especially in the drawn final was poor. Replay they just had the edge and helped along by Mayo management choosing to drop their All star goalkeeper

2017 - great 2nd half performance got Dublin over the line but it was fine margins and if Vaughan didn't do that moment of madness?

2020 - two goals first half set Dublin on their way, bench options allowed them close out the game 2nd half (didn't have the same bench options this year)

2021 - much like Dublin in the 2013 final it wasn't a world beater performance by Tyrone but they scored their goals at important stages in the game and conceded no goal themselves. If Cillian O'Connor had played I believe it would have been a 1 point loss instead of 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

There is a story behind Dublin this year.

They were poor. Ok they lost some of their great players over the last couple of years, but all was definitely not happy in the camp.

I wouldn't call into question the desire, the dedication, the bottle of any of the Mayo team or backroom team.

Horan has created a brilliant ethos, he brought on so many players in his time.

He has reached so many finals over the years so he has to be doing something right.

Maybe he has overachieved in some ways.

But he has also failed and failed big time when it counted.

A lot of people are slagging off AOS, claiming he is more interested in self promotion or whatever.

I don't think that at all, I just think he is too slow, can't kick well at all, hasn't the softhands of someone like Donaghy and sometimes confuses things.

And yes due to his size he never got the referees protection that he should have gotten which also never helps him.

Football has changed a lot, he has gotten older and the miles are showing.

Someone said earlier that maybe he was left on in the hope he might do something.

If that is true then it is bad management.

You can't afford to do that.

A great manager spots when things are going wrong and tries to remedy it, not adopts a wait and see approach and living in hope.

I am not allowed discuss …

no idea about the pull or the certain clubs not being able to make the county panel. We've had a decent spread of players from a number of clubs down through the last few years. Fair enough we've not had anyone from Moygownagh, Kilfian, Killala for a while but I'm sure if the players were there and of an appropriate standard, they'd be getting calls or trials at least. There was some notions that only players from Senior and Intermediate clubs got the chance but the likes of James Carr have put that idea to rest.

Dublin won 8 AI finals in a row they played in, 9 if you include 95. That's 100% record in 9 straight finals. So yes they definitely can teach us a thing or two about winning.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Crybabygeeks

48 hours out now from the result and if anything, I've got more pi**ed about it! Im starting to understand my parents generation, who often say "I'm not travelling to Dublin anymore, I'm sick of it". Up until Saturday, I could never understand it but I do now. The hustle for tickets, so much money spent on raffles to see the team and mgmt perform so poorly. It is inexcusable. Fwiw, I don't question the dedication of the team to train and travel mid winter and year round and do it all for an amateur sport but on the biggest day of the year, if you don't perform, it's a waste of time.

For the first time ever, I walked out of Croke Park not feeling a mix of disappointment and pride but a mix of disgust and anger. Everyone involved (team, fans, donors) deserves / deserved better.

I'd love to hope 2022 will be different but there's no evidence to suggest it will.

I know this is a hardcore mayo gaa forum so posters will tend to bias in one direction but I'd love to know if I'm alone in this thinking this year?

The poster was talking about "Culture" being key at Dublin and something we don't have.

I disagreed.

Yeah, they know how to win but can you put it all down to "culture" (needs to be defined) - if it's "Culture" that sets us apart why lose to use this year?

This "culture" thing is nonsense.

You can call it what you want. Culture, winning mentality, nerves of steal, insatiable hunger, whatever, I will leave it up to yourself.

They have it and we don't.

I get the feeling some people think if you are a nice footballer and turn up at Croke Park on AI final day you are bound to win. It doesn't work that way. There has to be more to it than that, in the long term. And that's where culture or whatever you want to call it comes in.

But this is the thing.

There are so many variables on a match day that the manager or indeed players cannot control.

You simply cannot say we don't have the desire or hunger, or to a point "winning mentality" - we win 90 percent of games we've played in the championship the past two years.

If you cannot define what culture is, how do you change it?

I don't know what the consistent issue we've had with AI finals in my lifetime but it hasn't be the same for every one of those games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭thesultan

Great teams and players reduce the variables.

Which means they foresee and cut out variables and mistakes before they arise.

• Advertisement

Ah now.

We had four (some would say more), what should have been goal, chances. We didn't take any of them.

On another day, in another match - between 1 and 4 of those go in.

There are other things, that were within the control of the players/manager - fair enough.

TBH, I'm severly dissappointed (like most here) and I cannot explain with any logic as to why we continue to fail in finals.

I refuse to accept it is "culture" or whatever you want to call it, but the only way I can see us solving the problems are to continue to support our clubs in whatever way we can, teach the basics well, and provide a clear path for talented youngsters into the senior team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭2018na

That joe Brolly is an awful clown. Got caught out telling a full lie about mdma forgetting his boots on all Ireland final day and pat gilroy having to give him his. Proven to be absolute bullshit story but he’s allowed to continue writing for the sindo. Shows you what makes a barrister himself and Michelle de Bruin,pair of ****

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

You must be havin a laugh!!! Can't believe people are swallowing this...

Aido would want to start thinking of winning a medal before he starts signing sponsorship deals...

Post edited by Markus Antonius on

That’s not culture, it’s a footballing philosophy. A philosophy which places less value on the development of a particular skillset. Which has the impact of leaving our forward unit ill prepared to fall back on their innate skills under pressure. Cillian is one of the few exceptions to this in 35 years watching Mayo and what we know of Cillian is he practices like no other.

Mayo footballers are no more susceptible to pressure than any other county in my view. There is however, I believe, a deficit in our coaching practice that leaves them without the foundation to fall back on in pressure situations.

Why?

“Here some money for an add that requires a couple of hours of your time”

”No thanks, I don’t have an all Ireland”

It is obvious from the majority of comments that posters do not understand what "organisational culture" is \ what Joe Brolly is talking about. If you do a search on the internet you will find plenty of articles which explain it and which give a flavour of what it is. Most articles are business related but it applies equally to a sporting organisation whether it be a professional one or an amateur one. The big GAA senior teams are probably more professional than many professional ones in e.g league of ireland soccer with many \ most of backrooom staff now being paid. County Boards also becoming more professsional with many staff \ officers being paid.

Every organisation has a culture, some good some bad. Some suitable to what they are trying to achieve, some not. Good and suitable cultures deliver organisational success continually while bad, unsuitable deliver continual failure. Organisational culture continually evolves, sometimes quickly sometimes slowly sometimes for the better sometimes for the worse. It is always driven by the leaders within an organisation.

As an example Dublin GAA and the Dublin Team were unsuccessful for many years in the 90's 00's. They took a hard look at themselves and changed how they operated. As regards the senior team this process was started by Pat Gilroy and continued \ brought to fruition by Jim Galvin which resulted in 8 AI's in 10 yearsand GAA becoming more successful in Dublin in terms of playing numbers. I don't know the details of what the exact changes were to culture as I am not privy to their internal workings.

Another example is Tyrone who were unsuccessful as regards senior AI's up until 2003. Their culture changed in some way 20 years ago to make them more successful. I don't know exactly what it was. Part of it was undoubtedly appointing Mickey Harte, who was a good leader who put in place a winning \ successful culture. First All Ireland \ 3 in total. They did lose their way a bit at the end of Mickeys reign probably IMO to his not being able to evolve a culture he put in place. Again IMO I expect that Mickey's core culture has remained broadly the same with 2 of his disciples taking charge and freshening things up a little to deliver another AI this year.

James Horan at the start of his reign talked about changing the culture of the Mayo team. Obvious at this point 10 years later (of which 7 were his) that he has not instilled a winning culture in the Mayo Senior Team.

Everything whether it be shooting practice, team selection, tactics, finding better \ more players etc etc are just subsidiary details. A good and apprropriate culture delivers excellence in every facet of the organisation. Without it success in individual facets is hit and miss, while overall success is virtually impossible.

Why?. Is he supposed to skip out on some opportunities because he doesn’t have a medal?. If there are people willing to pay him for this, why should he not take it to supplement his income?.

he gives up enough time and sacrifice - why not make something from it?.

even the examples you give - they’re over 8 or 9 years, one is for the title sponsors for the County team. What exactly is your problem with players doing this, or is your problem just with this particular player?. Also you quoted my earlier post, asking if I was having a laugh. Do you know of anything I wrote that’s untrue?. If so, please do share your knowledge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,108 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

You must be still living at home with mammy and daddy if you think that.

Off to bed with ya, good lad.

• Advertisement

Someone mentioned comments about Mayo players and their commercial commitments and you said it was "Horse manure, basically. All of it"

I've shown you that is not horse manure at all. Aidan O'Shea is just one particularly bad example. Cillian O'Connor, Lee Keegan and Paddy Durcan deserve a mention too.

How many GAA players are you aware of take part in such extensive sponsorship deals before they've ever won an all ireland? It suggests that maybe the Mayo players should be focusing on more pressing issues first, no?

So you’re not going to actually address any of the questions I put to you about why they should skip these opportunities.

and how extensive are these sponsorship opportunities?. And why should they not do so if they haven’t won an all Ireland?.

how many all Ireland’s does Lee Chin have?. Why would that even be a concern?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,654 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

Maybe making a few extra quid is a more pressing issue for them. They're amateurs and under no obligation to put their county or anyone else first. They give their time and commitment year in year out, that's more than enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 longballer

Collection of thoughts:

You are a fairly critical bunch, James Horan & A O Shea might be tempted to use Páidí’s description for you!! Most of the player/coach criticism is unwarranted. For the most part you met better teams along the way. Some finals you were unlucky in, Saturday’s was not one but there were certain factors that could have been improved.

Hunger, you haven’t won an AI in so long, you should have been absolutely fired up & been able to bully Tyrone around the middle third where there should have been scope for physicality particularly around the breaking ball. Tyrone brought the desire & it was flagged from the semi-final. Interestingly, in the North a lot of teams & players are super conscious of who & what we represent. I think the importance of this is not recognised by a lot of ppl & I think (I know this likely to be controversial) some ppl/counties will be incapable of understanding this - our experiences are all different. Compare it to the Dublin players generally & particularly the Ballymum players who have different life experiences & Kerry players (who also have different experiences) & Mayo players who’s life experiences are also different. I think our sense of identity gives us our motivation, desire & hunger. The Ulster teams, Dublin & Kerry have this hunger, Mayo teams don’t consistently demonstrate it. I know this is a general point & I don’t mean to stereotype, but if your self reflecting I think it’s worth considering how you develop/manufacture an ‘edge’ to use the hunger you should have. You need more players with Keegan’s hunger. Sore point & not meant to be condescending but in reality, your Sam Maguire hunger is nothing more or less than Tipperary’s or Wexford’s.

AO’S did contribute, he is not the reason Tyrone won, but like every other teammate he could have done more. You expect too much from him. Yet, he’s not properly utilised. The point I made earlier about McKenna not contributing enough but remained on the pitch to offload for McCurry’s goal. O’Shea is capable of that. McShane’s goal was flukey enough, O’Shea is tailor made to deliver similar. It wasn’t tried, not O’Shea’s fault.

In Tyrone, Mattie Donnelly was our starman, then a bad injury, then our captain, his star then declined, then we got a new captain, then Mattie rediscovered his mojo, now he has an AI medal. Maybe a learning for Mayo?

Enough from me, you shouldn’t be too despondent & I hope that your team does what it always does & comes roaring (a little bit louder!) back for more.

You will reach the promised land!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

FFS I stopped reading your BS about organisation culture when I got to the part you mentioned how Dublin look a "hard look at themselves" in the 90s and 00s.

That's some revisionism you've got going on there. You sure it wasn't the millions of euro pumped into them by the GAA that had the desired impact?

As for your other post on AOS and sponsorship, get a life. Any player is well within their rights to get sponsorship even if they don't have an All-Ireland medal. Joe Canning was sponsored by RedBull and others before he ever won Liam. There are many more examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

I'm sorry but this is nonsense, Dublin played in a grand total of zero AI finals between 95 and 2011. Also Mayo played in a grand total of zero All Ireland Finals between 1951 and 1989. After that they contested two in the 90s and two in 00s. In the last ten years they've played in six, if that doesn't show a complete culture change, nothing will. I accept that our failure to win AI finals is extremely disappointing but if our 'culture' hadn't changed, well we'd still be like Galway and Roscommon winning a Connaught title here and there, but exiting the championship before semi final stage. Because Galway in particular have had a strong team for the last few years, but don't have the structures in place to capitalise on it, whereas we have the structures thanks to Horan and his 'culture'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭MayoAreMagic

In fairness, the game is very different if oconnor plays as you say, and scores the penalty as I am presuming you feel would happen. Watch back the end of the game. Mayo have point chances that they bypass to search out a goal, which is something they wouldnt need to do. If they took the lead via a penalty then they could go into their shell also and tyrone come after them so the dynamic is different. Ruane probably doesnt get a red either. It is simply impossible to judge how the thing would have gone to be honest. It would probably have been quite different.

This is precisely the sort of thing Joe Brolly is talking about and the sort of thing that would be addressed in any team culture. "How do we manage commercial opportunities arising from being a member of the Mayo Senior team.

Extra Gravy seems to favour "The me first approach" namely I am an amateur and I am under no obligation to put my County First or any of my Team mates. I give my time and committment year in year out so I will take everything I can and to hell with everyone else. To be fair to Extra Gravy (appropriate name for taking part in this particular discussion) this does seem to be part of the culture of the Mayo Squad and allowed by james Horan.

I understand that Holmes \ Connelly wanted to ban commercial work resulting from membership of panel which is another approach, which it would seem did not find favour with the squad at the time.

I understand that the philosophy of Dublin during the Gilroy \ galvin reign was that all monies resulting from commercial work tied to squad membership was pooled and shared. This was probably the most successful philosophy with 8 AI's. Everyone treated the same, everyone equally valued within the squad while at the same time getting the money in from commercial sources.

I do wonder how the lesser known members of the Mayo squad feel about some members of the squad making money from their membership while they do not. I also wonder how businesses feel when squad person they have built a campaign around is dropped from Team, do they stand idly by.

I would love to know what the Tyrone approach is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

This is so true about AOS. I feel for him but he has no place anymore as he makes us a weaker team as he is not a big scorer and he has lost his pace. It is sad to say this after all these years but that is the truth. Horan needs to be honest with him and AOS needs to be honest with himself. Football has moved on.

Yes Dublin did not take part in any AI between 1995 and 2011, and Mayo did not between 1951 and 1989, yes Mayo contested (LOST) 2 in 90's and 2 in 00's. Yes they have played (LOST)a further 6 in last 10 years. Maybe the culture changed, I can accept that it did. The thing is it did not change to a WINNING CULTURE.

Most people in Mayo would happily swap with Galway with 9 AI's to our 3 with the last 2 inside the last 25 years. The common thread in all the teams you mentioned is that they have not had a winning culture in the periods you reference. Dublin have had it this past 10 years (and other periods), Galway had it ifor 4\5 years 25 years ago and for 4\5 years in 60's, Roscommon had it for a few yeras in 40's while Mayo had it late 40's \ early 50's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 132 ✭✭shortlegs

Well said FANOFCONNACHT.

And what’s more, culture involves the supporters as well, because it’s from this county our players sprang forth. They are us, and we are them, no?

So when I see supporters shrugging their shoulders and saying ‘Ah sure, it is what it is’, then don’t be surprised that our team continue to fail to succeed, because it’s ok - your still ‘...simply the best, better than all the rest...” when you get off the bus, in McHale Park.

Wouldn’t happen in any other county with serious All Ireland expectations, that’s for sure.

On the topic of leadership, which was sadly lacking both on and off the field on Saturday, JH didn’t inspire confidence in anyone the way he applied for this position 3 years ago, leaving it until a few minutes before closing, when he made his application. What was he waiting for? - to see if someone else in particular would apply and embarrass a former manager by getting the position ahead of him? Can’t imagine the likes of Brian Cody, or Jack O Connor conducting themselves in such a fashion - should’ve nailed his colours to the mast right from the get-go.

• Advertisement
Advertisement