Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2017-21 help to buy scheme - megathread. All help to buy discussion here please

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Pete123456

I wonder has anybody had an issue with the house or purchase after the builder has drawn down your HTB? I’m assuming Revenue just claw it back, but would you be able to get it reinstated for use elsewhere? Just curious

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭elchupanebrey

Does anyone know how getting a new mortgage offer might affect my help to buy? I have sent all the details into the contractor based on the previous offer so I assume they have already made the claim.

My mortgage offer is expiring on Monday and I wasn't given sufficient notice to try arrange an extension. If I'd known it would take 7-10 days to organise the extension I would have been more on the ball!! I probably should have been anyway being honest.

I don’t think it matters. A lot of people at the moment would have been delayed due to the sites being closed etc and most loan offers last max 6 months so a lot of people will have had to get a new loan offer. I don’t think revenue care unless for whatever reason you didn’t actually go through with the house. Then they claw it back from the developer.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭elchupanebrey

Thanks, I'm sure you're right. We'll have to wait and see what happens when it comes down to it

• Registered Users Posts: 35 BtxKiddo

Hi guys,

We did an application for HTB on revenue website as we are planning to buy a new house next year as first time buyers. We were curious how much they will give us and today we got it approved for Application max relief available: €9,899.84

i would like to ask, if doesn’t sound stupid how they came with this number? me and my wife we worked full time for the last 4 years so we applied as joint application.

i hope doesn’t sound stupid my question but i’m just wondering how do they calculate?

many thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

The PAYE and DIRT you have paid in the last 4 tax years. It's a refund of those taxes.

Post edited by Bubbaclaus on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Thanks for the correction! I've updated my last post to avoid any confusion for anyone looking for guidance.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭niniboots

The application you have in place will only be valid until 31st December 2021. You mentioned buying next year, so you can reapply next year if the scheme continues, at that stage you may have more tax accrued under your 2021 employment & the rebate amount could change. Remember to check group figure versus the individual figures as you will get both.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Dublinandy3

Hi All,

Our solicitor gave us the building agreement and executed contract to upload to the revenue website for the HTB scheme. However, when I went into the site to upload it also says that I need to upload a 'mortgage contract with their lender'. I phoned the bank and they said this was something the solicitor would give us as they have to sign or do something. Now the bank has given me the wrong information in the past and the solicitor or her secretary just isn't responding to me at the moment.

Is this something the bak or the solicitor should give me? Just so I don't want to finally get the solicitor for them to tell me it's the bank even if it isn't.

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement

You get the contract from your solicitor - ask for a copy of it by email - unsigned will be sufficient from Revenue. The bank probably wouldn’t give it to you either way.

Hi, we signed contracts and provided access codes to out HTB claim about 4 months ago.

The builders still haven't claimed the htb. We get a claim pending message on the revenue website.

The house isn't built yet, so do they normally wait until its finished before sorting htb? Im beginning to wonder if they are holding out for an investment fund. Can they cancel the sale after contracts signed?

Hi all,

Probably a similar question to the one above. I submitted the documents, is my solicitor supposed to give the vendors the claim number that was generated when I uploaded?

I am having issues with even getting responses from my solicitor. My build got delayed until after the new yet, I was told this was fine as long as we did all we need to before the end of this year but I just don't want to leave anything to chance. Would rather they claim the money asap, it is classed as a deposit so I would have thought they'd need it before completion of the build? It's not really a deposit is it if they just claim it the same time as the mortgage?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Does anyone know the answer to this? Also, I’ve heard of people getting the HTB grant when going direct labour (no contractor), how is that done?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭dia squish

Question on how HTB works - if, for example, I got HTB full approval and wanted to buy a new build with a price of €400,000. If I already €30,000 in savings, can I use savings + HTB to pay a deposit of €60,000 and get a mortgage of €340,000?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 vivianm

Hi guys,

So I had applied for HTB and I was eligible for approx €19,000 n my wife was eligible for approx €25,000 but the max amount we could claim was €30,000 as per the HTB so my amount was around €4300 for which an access code and claim reference was given. I for some reason hadn't uploaded the loan offer n signed contracts on revenue as i initially thought that since the claim was approved. So now my construction company got back to me saying they've only gotten the €4300 and not received my wife side of the €25,000. That's when I checked my wife's revenue account n noticed revenue had sent messages on the my enquiry page requesting the documents to be uploaded. I uploaded them today, So my main question is as the construction company have received only €4300 will revenue check the documents and issue the rest of the €25000 or will we have to reapply again to claim the full amount. We haven't drawn down our mortgage yet. I don't seem to be getting a proper answer for this anywhere. Hoping someone can help me out here as I'm just assuming the worst and it's really worrying.

Thanks on advance.

Hi All,

I think this may be a dead thread but I'll give it a go. Our new build has been delayed until the end of March, which means we have to apply again for the mortgage, to renew, it shouldn't be an issue but my only concern is the HTB. The builder told us they had the same issue last year and was able to still claim the HTB but if I have to apply for the mortgage again, they'll want proof of the HTB which I won't have? Or can I still use this year's details? We aim to reapply mid December and have been told by the bank it'll take 10 working days.

Has anyone experienced this situation or similar before?

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭DubLad69

If the builder has already claimed the HTB, you will just need a letter from your solicitor stating that. If they havnt, then you will need to reapply in mid-Jan.

AIB also offer 6 month extentions for nee builds that have been delayed due to covid, if you are with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

we received Help to Buy approval back in April, but struggled to source a house at the time. We now have a house sourced thank god. Contracts are due to be signed in January, and hoping to move in around April.

I'm assuming that the developers can't claim the HTB until the contracts are signed. Given that won't happen til early next year, will we need to reapply for HTB in 2022? Or will we still be able to use our approval from 2021?

thanks in advance for any input

They can’t/won’t claim until you sign contracts - that is the point at which you pay your deposit and the HTB will make up part of that.

you will have to Reapply in Jan unfortunately as your 2021 will have expired - you use the HTB year that you have signed the contracts in - if you sign in 2022 then your 2021 will have expired at that stage.

Just an FYI, this year there was a significant delay in getting HTB applications through, a lot of people had to ask revenue to expedite as they were under pressure to sign contracts… would be no harm to account for this with your developer/solicitor just so they are aware. What I mean by this is you mightn’t be able to get the HTB application through until 20 or 25 Jan or so at the earliest, although maybe next year will be better and more organised from Revenues side.

• Advertisement

When uploading the contract to revenue, does it just need to be signed by us? Or does it need to be signed by developer too?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 FA12345

Hi folks, looking for some advice about HTB to see if you think we qualify as I believe we have a slightly unusual situation. Sorry for the long message!

So back in 2018 (can't remember off the top of my head for the purpose of this thread), we agreed with my in-laws to purchase the side site of their property at market value. Part of the site included a small portion of their current property. We applied for planning permission to subdivide the property, then to demolish the existing property that lay on the side site and rebuild our house. We were granted full permission by the council, then at the end of 2019 we started the process by demolishing what was there.

In 2020, my husbands business was shut down due to Covid so we decided to continue to do the build ourselves as my father in law used to work as a builder back in the day so we had a fair bit of advice from him. Bit by bit during lockdowns, we built up the house by ourselves. My business was doing ok during the pandemic so we took our time and paid from my wages for things like windows or the roof etc where we hired independent labour, and I also had a small inheritance and a bank loan that helped with funding it.

Essentially, we did most of the work ourselves. In the meantime, we had solicitors drawing up the mortgage agreement between us and his parents, so there is a charge against the property for the cost of the original site. We have managed to build our home which is A rated (or will be as soon as I get around to getting the BER people back in). We now plan to go and get a mortgage from a commercial lender to pay off the charge against the site (which the paperwork calls a mortgage). I'm wondering would we qualify for HTB to help us out? It would be a great help considering my husbands business cost us a small fortune to keep open over the last two years with all the lockdowns! I think he was closed for a total of 11 months since the start of the pandemic.

I hope this makes sense! Any questions, please ask!

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭unknowngirl!!

Would really appreciate any advice from people in the know. FTB buying a new build. Just realised that the developer is not on the qualified contractor list. Is there any reason they wouldn't be? Is it outrageous to contact them and ask them to apply to be a registered contractor?

They most likely are on the list, just under a different name. Ask the developer themselves.

Does anyone know how long it takes for a HTB application to be assessed? House is ready to move into, just waiting on the HTB.

This time last year they were crazy busy and backlogged - I expect it was the same this year. Took them 3+ weeks to get through some applications. If you’re under pressure, ring the helpline and explain you’re under pressure from solicitors etc. sometimes they want proof to escalate, other times they seem happy to from what I’ve read

Thanks, I've been trying that, although, every time I call they say they are too busy to take my call. Try again later.

I'll keep trying though, thanks

If you ring on the second the phone lines open in the morning you might have a better chance

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭noler123

Hi folks, hopefully someone can help.

We got approved for our HTB this morning. We had been approved last year and it seemed straightforward enough, we were approved for X amount, got a application code and an access code to give to the builder.

This year's is the same but there's a Claim button that brings you to a page looking for us to upload our documents. Is this a new thing or did I just not notice it on last year's claim? We have just signed our contacts for the house.

• Advertisement

That's always been there. Can I ask when you applied to have gotten it approved today?

Advertisement