Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder at the Cottage | Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,407 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

How does naming them interfere with an investigation into a crime from 1996 where the named suspect is deceased? The dead person is never going to stand trial.

How do you see it affecting the investigation?

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Wasn't he home with the kids when she was supposedly moonlight driving with shadowman?

Because it presumably still needs investigating, people who know need to come forward and it will be very difficult to prove?

If he has living family you can't go saying his name on TV without and proof, or proof you can't mention. Madness.

Whatever bailey is, he knows his law stuff and isn't that stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭Deeec

Yeah I think Marie was at home looking after the kids with him also. Otherwise Chris is a very forgiving man to forgive Maries shenanigans with shadowman and to be made a public fool of aswell - very forgiving indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Maybe it was the other way round without shadowman?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭Talisman

But what if Marie was actually at home with the kids and it was her husband that was out near a certain bridge? Her story has provided the perfect cover and the way she inserted herself into the investigation is grand master level of genius. Was she the passenger or the driver of the car? She has told the story both ways. Take her statement about the man at Kealfadda Bridge away and the entire case against Ian Bailey collapses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Bailey has a law degree and a wrote a very good thesis into why the people who police our state need to be policed themselves, he got a 1:1 for it if I remember it correctly. Im sure he was able to use a lot of anecdotal evidence of blatant corruption against him from our local cowboys. He's far from stupid but I'm sure thats what the gards were initially banking on, now its slowly beginning to blow right up in their face. Great to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭MBE220d

Bailey being interviewed on Virgin Media 1 now,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

what do you all think of the virgin one interview? His whole life has been affected by this. IF he is innocent it’s very very sad. I think he knows who done it

The interviewer is definitely going on the hard side she isn’t taking it easy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭2forjoy

Sophie said she was going to meet a poet. That's interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Her best friend remembered this more than a decade later, as far as I can remember.

Well he’s consistent- they tried to ambush him with an interview with Vincent Browne from 2012 but he essentially answered the question the same way he did back then (about ever meeting Sophie) even though they tried to make out that he didn’t-

bar feigning outrage I don’t think the interview will achieve anything this evening- she also hasn’t done enough research - it’s all about trying to catch him out which they won’t do but he will come off looking like a jerk - but not a murderer

4 minutes of adds every 10 mins

He’s definitely an alcoholic and his way of speaking is very like a family member of mine. And makes him come across as a jerk. I would put money on him being drunk here too

Is that jules scarf i wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭.E_C_K_S.

Interview is a bit all over the place so far. She's jumping to the negative stories that are in circulation about Bailey for as long as we can remember, he addresses them and then she just goes to her next negative story. If there are follow up questions, they are coming across as overly aggressive.

He might as well be talking about the weather as when he’s talking about beating jules, no emotion at all

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

It was a French man who was involved in the film industry who said she told him about Ian Bailey, it was mentioned in the DPP report from 2001 so can't have been 10 years later. One of Sophie's friends or relatives did say she remembered later Sophie mentioned meeting a poet in Ireland.

Guy Girard said Sophie mentioned she met or was meeting a man called Ian Bailey, Guy said he confused the name with someone else in the French film industry and thought it was someone he knew and she apparently said something like 'no, you can't know him, he lives in Cork in Ireland'. His statement was made before 2001. I'm not sure when though.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭MBE220d

I can't stand Bailey but the way this interview is conducted is a disgrace, the sheer contempt shown towards him by Fitzpatrick is on another level.

She is a disgrace to the media.

• Advertisement

Yes, forgot about Guy Girard's statement.

In his statement – seen by the Sunday Independent – Mr Girard said that he first met Ms du Plantier in France six months before her death, when they worked together on a film project.

He said that in November 1996, he discussed with Ms du Plantier including a story about a man "who killed his wife by hitting her with an iron" in a project he was working on.

"We discussed for a long time the theme of human tragedy and during this time Sophie mentioned the name of Eoin Bailey," he said.

"I am sure of this. I thought Sophie was speaking of Edwyn Bally, a French film director, and I indicated this. But Sophie corrected me with a smile saying I could not know who she was talking about because Bailey was a man, a writer, living in Ireland. I am not sure what context Sophie mentioned Bailey, but I got the impression that he (Bailey) was working also on the theme of human tragedy."

He continued: "We did not speak any more about Bailey at this time. I am sure I heard Sophie mention the name Eoin Bailey in the office but I do not know in what context."

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/film-director-is-key-sophie-du-plantier-witness-say-french-authorities-30242064.html

i do hate the way he says “we were both drinking at the time”- there’s always an excuse with him - he makes a statement to guards, he changes his statement to guards, he says things to other people, he regrets or corrects what was said to other people-it’s always everyone else that’s wrong it’s never Bailey himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Munstergirl854

He's well able for Collette he's faced worse. If he didn't have a problem with alcohol he would be sharp as a tack.

I liked the way she described Sophie as attractive/beautiful and he pushed back by saying well beauty is in the eye of the beholder..if he agreed with her and said she was stunning etc the media would be all over a comment like that...

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭drumm23

Yet Bailey told nobody he knew her; and said from the start he’d never met her (without ex-ante knowledge that she hadn’t told loads of people she was meeting him); and he never wrote a word about her…

highly unlikely

Terrible interview style by the anchor, awful.

My other half knows the bare bones about the case and based on this interview, he thinks he is guilty!

the style the interviewer is taking is shocking

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Was just about to write similar.

Collette won't be hosting any chat shows anyway. Awful stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭DivilsAdvocate

Hope it picks up but this has been a genuine terrible interview, Colette Fitzpatrick has been absolutely awful.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement