Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dash cam videos thread 3.4 (embedded car dash-cams only)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭Damien360

Although true, its rarely done by anyone. At the speeds shown, it would be something of a miracle for the passenger in the jeep to survive that impact had it occurred. Common sense should tell you not to overtake at a junction.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

• Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭handpref

Nice one, pity I hadn’t got that the last time I was dealing with the Gardai, to cut a long story short I’ve watched a guy nearly everyday for over a year hammer up my local 50kmph road, I’m usually out running or walking and he uses the ramps as a high speed overtaking opportunity- the ramps also happen to be at junctions and for good reason.

On the holidays my routine changed and I was in the car at the time this lad was flying, caught him overtaking a school bus flat out over the ramps at a junction and on a bend, dash cam got it perfectly front and rear.

Brought it to the Gardai and in fairness they summonsed him for dangerous driving-

Another fast regional road near me had a solid white line through all the spots with junctions and bad sight lines- when the road was resurfaced the line markers doing the road just put down broken white lines making overtaking a free for all, Meath County Council never got back when I queried it- the road safety guy in MCC actually told me it was nothing to do with him, the road is full of grave markers. Thanks for the info and clarification.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,224 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Some crazy stuff in this one.

Good to see they've dropped all the "roundabout pull outs" where the dash cam driver is racing in.

• Advertisement

So this crashmagnet decides to stop instead of merging! What you don't see in the video is the Artic in lane one that we are merging in front of, there was plenty of room to safely merge but with this one stopping it became a bit trickier.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭Damien360

You got lucky. That’s a L driver without the plates. I was sure they were going to pull out into lane. I hate meeting indecisive people merging. I wouldn’t have come out and merge ahead of them in the same lane. Asking for a crash. Cheers for the video anyway.

They were stopping! as it was, I had to boot it otherwise the lorry in lane one or the car following me would have rear ended me.

Yes there was a real risk that they could have swerved into lane one, but at the speed they were going the lorry would have hit them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Were they stopping or just slowing to apprise the situation of a car on a narrow hard shoulder, when impatience struck?

• Advertisement

They stopped at the end of the merging lane, while still indicating right. The car that was following me got stuck behind them.

The car on the hard shoulder was quite a distance further along.

Not going to get into a dick measuring contest, you were there I wasn't but that isn't quite some distance to the car partly in the live lane and though slowing there is no video evidence that the red car actually stopped, as indeed you can see the white merge lane has ended and the car still seems to be moving when you pass him

As I don't have a rear view camera, you're just going to have to take my word on the fact that the red car stopped.

The actions of that driver put me at risk of a collision, sometimes it is better to accelerate away from a hazardous situation than to slam on the brakes and hope no one hits you from behind!

This was one such situation, that needed a split second decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭lovelyhurler

Well done and well said. You took the correct course of action.

A merging lane is exactly that - a lane to merge.

It's not a STOP or a YIELD junction.

You're supposed to be able to match the speed of the mainline traffic in order to join the main carriageway not saunter along.

All to often we see the opposite at stop and yeild junctions.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Theres nothing more fcuking infuriating than joining a (busy) motorway with a speed limit of 120km/h, and the car in front of you on the slip is dawdling along at 60km/h, making absolutely zero fcuking effort to accelerate to to any sort of safe speed to merge safely onto the mainline...... Thats how you end up with fcuknuggets like above... they see the much faster moving traffic and realise they cant safely merge, panic, and slow down even further and it causes all sorts of issues.. (granted the stopped car up ahead didn't help the situation, but still, an observant/competent driver would have seen that and mitigated against it, by safely merging even sooner).

Sorry for the rant, but I've been absolutely appalled by the shocking standards of driving I've noticed over the last year or 2 on Irish roads, particularly motorways.... its like the pandemic has given lots of people carte blanche to drive like absolute gobsh1tes, without a care or consideration for other road users.....

I firmly believe that motorway/dual carriageway driving should be a part of the driving curriculum, as well as part of the test.

Post edited by AndyBoBandy on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,978 ✭✭✭kirving

I don't like the usual pile on to the video poster, but for a little perspective on how I view the video.

By the time they brake, you're already gaining on them. This is limiting your and their options and freedom to accelerate or brake to match speed. I understand why you over took them (so you aren't forced to stop too), but by doing that, the red car now has no room to merge as you're in lane 1 - so now they have no option but to stop.

Hanging well back from the car in front as you join the motorway gives you far more options.

Merges like below are downright dangerous IMO, so I let the other car join before I even enter the turn. Have been beeped and had people trying to overtake me as I held back.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.5261084,-8.8707974,3a,75y,359.73h,80.07t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s3LYunIZXZ2RPTXOY0mwSeQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

https://www.google.com/maps/@52.8610429,-8.9374543,3a,75y,137.02h,86.23t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sVGBkaVz-wyyK3rbij35xxg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

• Registered Users Posts: 13,884 ✭✭✭✭josip

Interesting, is the position in the first link the exact point where you would stop or do you stop further back?

I wouldn't stop necessarily just give a ton of space, if the road is very busy I'd carry on a bit further and wait to see them join. No hard shoulder makes it very dangerous, and the bridge and signs make it very difficult to look for approaching traffic to your right.

I've come around the corner carrying a bit of speed in order to merge, with another car behind me, and found a car stopped in front of me. Then you're left sitting stopped (as the red car above) as the last car has the advantage in moving out first and I have to give way as they're in the lane already.

It's really about managing space in front and behind to give yourself as much space to accelerate safely and not allow the guy behind to cut you off and leave you in the merging lane as can happen. It's very easy to fall into the belief when driving a more powerful care that others are dawdling along when they're actually trying too.

My own car isn't the fastest in the world, but it is 250bhp and I use it all when I need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

Whatever this fella was doing was so urgent he had to jump the tiny queue on the wrong side of the junction without even checking.

I'm in two minds on this one - but I can't see the location of the car as the light went green, and the Gards obviously had a better view.

But if the car had cleared the white line before the red which has happens to me all the time here, they they are inside the bounds of the junction.

As such, are they entitled to continue? Are the other cars obliged to let her finish the move? ie: they can also only proceed on green if safe to do so?

I obviously would have stayed put and not crossed traffic at this location, but my mother failed her driving test for staying put when a light went red, as she had already crossed the white line and was told she should have continued.

Location:https://www.google.com/maps/@53.3099011,-6.2833201,3a,75y,308.99h,77.62t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sjB9QzMlG-SgK1oBJlgIbkg!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

That light was almost definitely red way they went thru it and even it wasn't red as they started to pass it it would have been amber and amber doesn't mean go

• Registered Users Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭AirBiscuit

I'd doubt they were past the line in time. The lights on the right road would already have been (at the very least) amber at the start of the clip. From the traffic lights without filter lights I've encountered, there's usually a few seconds where all lights are red to allow any traffic stranded by amber to clear the junction.

As for entitlement to continue, yes you should be allowed continue, but that doesn't mean barrel through a junction without a care in the world like this driver who looked neither way at either the cyclist they just missed or the cars entering the junction on green. With driving like that, Occam's razor would suggest they ran the red light.

If they were in control of the junction they should have been within the yellow box itself

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭boardz

Bleedin' Scooter.........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭SuperS54

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,418 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's roughly four seconds between the light going green for the crossing traffic and her appearing in view - so maybe 5 seconds after her light would have gone red? can't see how she could explain that one away at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,693 ✭✭✭chooseusername

She drove past her green light up to the box junction, but did not enter as exit was not clear.

Now she was in no-mans land, no light beyond junction.

She had to wait for traffic to move to realise lights had changed.

She should have entered the box earlier.

Or maybe she was on her phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

That's meath council for you, where I live the 50km/h zone has unbroken line, hardly anyone slows down on the entry from it from the eastbound 80km/h zone. On the westbound there is a ramp, once the cars go over the ramp, there's always some muppet overtaking a slow moving truck, exceeding speed limit by at least 30 km/h. On this road there are about 20 houses with access to this road.

And when leaving the 50 km/h zone, the white line becomes solid, crazy!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,884 ✭✭✭✭josip

deleted

Post edited by josip on

• Advertisement

Wrong direction, they're approching the bank not the pub, i think there's a right filter from that way

Advertisement