Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭JDD

If I was to give a mark to Ireland's response to covid, it would be a B-minus.

Nearly every decision made at the start of the pandemic I agree with. Looking back now, it seems a little absurd to have the streets empty and schools closed and what not. But given what we knew - and more importantly, what we didn't know - at the time it seemed eminently sensible.

We were too slow to open up last summer, and this summer. I know that other EU countries opened earlier and more, but at the back of mind I always remember that they have a functioning health system. We do not, and never have. Therefore we had much less wiggle room and probably had to use the sledgehammer more often than they did. That all being taken into consideration, we probably were still too cautious and too reliant on a "watch what happens in other countries first" approach. Marks off for that.

The failure to secure more vaccines outside of the EU system a significant mistake, in my opinion. That, and the over cautious approach of NIAC made February to April incredibly frustrating and depressing, for the ordinary person - and devastating for those owning small businesses, so marks off for that.

However, the relative cohesiveness of the Irish people in complying with restrictions, and then the uptake in vaccinations, is in some part as a result of a consistent messaging approach from government. Better than other countries and we certainly had more clarity than the UK, even if it was a message we did not want to hear. I know that Golfgate and Merriongate and the Beacon/St Gerards scandals did undermine the messaging somewhat, but I think most intelligent people see them as they are - isolated incidents and more reflective of a wider question of entitlement in politics rather than diluting covid messaging itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

We won't know until we do a proper review of all of it.

Pretty sure that social distancing is part of lockdowns by keeping us apart. That's not a terribly useful study given that NHs were wide open almost worldwide in the very early part of this and it's a mathematical model. Add in the fact that in most of those examples cases had exploded - England, France, Germany, Iran, Italy, Netherlands, Spain were a mess and R0 was probably well above 3 at that stage with exponential growth so effects were always going to be limited initially.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭gral6

1391 positive swabs today, also there is a backlog again. Looks like today's number will be be high.

Good for ISAG and their mad followers to push for masks in primary schools.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,898 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Having looked at his Twitter, I would put Cummins in the same bracket as O'Doherty, absolutely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

@JDD wrote

The failure to secure more vaccines outside of the EU system a significant mistake, in my opinion. That, and the over cautious approach of NIAC made February to April incredibly frustrating and depressing, for the ordinary person - and devastating for those owning small businesses, so marks off for that.

In the Jan-Mar period there were 2,500 confirmed covid deaths. That's half of the total over the last 18 months.

Christmas was an almighty fck up.

1,394 new cases, 321 in hospital, 58 in ICU

• Registered Users Posts: 13,063 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Anyone.. yes , coming back and forth.

We have never shut our borders to them obviously and am not espousing that , but it is going to make it difficult to separate the 2 jurisdictions.

Could work the other way too .

I know there were comments from some on BBC News when they were ahead of us in vaccinations initially and they were starting to get their numbers in hospital under control that people coming over the border would be " bringing it back in" !

Can't win :)

Then they opened up , a bit prematurely really , and cases went back up again .

You do know that Israel's spike came after the stalling of their vaccination program at 60% . Delta got established there while they were trying to encourage more to get vaccinated .

Don't know about Belgium but Iceland got a few cases mainly in unvaccinated because despite a very thorough vaccination program there were few who didn't get jabbed . Once established it is so infectious it is hard to get rid of as we are finding and Belgium to a lesser degree .

Vaccinations are the only way out of this , but you just keep on trying to say the opposite .

Good job the vast majority of people in this country don't listen to nonsense like that .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,632 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

The who said that vaccines may not end this pandemic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Let's not rewrite history here. We were still under quite severe restrictions even over the Christmas period. Dublin had a 2 week stint below level 3 and then straight into full lockdown. This was after a 6 week lockdown in October.

A combination of over cautious lockdowns creating pent up demand and allowing so many people return to the country untested from what was at the time ground zero for Delta was a recipe for disaster.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Yea I know that. I meant the way out of rising cases which is the subject of the conversation..why our cases in Ireland are higher despite vaccination. Maybe read the previous posts first .

We are still going to get further waves but they will be easier to manage as this one is, because people are generally protected from severe infection. However it has gotten very well established before the high vaccination especially in those areas / groups who are not protected .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

What do you think vaccinations will achieve? Specifically, regarding case numbers and hospitalisation's

Knowing that anyone over the age of 18 in Ireland who wanted a vaccine has now had ample opportunities to get one.

Those who haven't taken it by now are unlikely to do so, and don't care for restrictions or vaccinations or travel etc.

Im fully vaccinated before you decide to take that route here, but I also believe that we have now reached peak vaccine uptake with 9 out of 10 adults fully vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,439 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Can't be allowed to happen again? It is happening again right now, unless you think there is a good reason we need to continue the current restrictions for another 6 weeks?

My biggest problem with the governments response was the complete lack of nuance throughout. Take gyms for example. I have zero doubt that the benefits of allowing gyms to remain open would have far, far, far outweighed the potential covid spread from them. The physical benefits, the mental benefits, each would have been enormous and yet never once was any consideration given to allowing them any special dispensation.

I don't even go to the gym, I run mainly, but I have no doubt the pressure release valve of gyms would in fact have increased adherence to restrictions in other areas, that is simple human nature. But then human nature was never something to be considered by the NPHET government when making their decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I don't actually and think we are just delaying further for the sake of optics rather than any other reason.

I also agree with you that simple things like having gyms open would have made a difference, especially mentally, as I am a regular gym user and found the closures daft. Likewise, we could have had coffee shops open long before they did. Again, a simple measure that would give people something to do and allow a social outlet.

Instead we had this bizarre notion in government that we were all just data points in a model that could be controlled indefinitely as they saw fit.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

I agree vaccinations are at their peak .

There are still a few more to get second doses in the youngest age bracket a lot of whom are only getting done now as back from holidays etc.

In my sons year 1 in 4 is fully vaxxed , and the rest are one dose in, for example , 17 / 18 year olds . .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

What difference will vaccinating those in the youngest bracket make to the dangers of Covid though?

Those age groups aren't ending up in hospital, in fact, only for the test, chances are they wont know they have it

Its my understanding that the vaccine neither stops one getting or spreading the disease, it only prevents serious illness, am I incorrect on that?

I don't know if that is true because there have been higher numbers of children hospitalised in the US for example . They are saying 10 times as many . They have been back in school a few weeks longer than our children

We don't appear to see those levels of infection here alright but NPHET and HSE have always said that transmission has never been high among the younger kids . It has been a mantra despite children being kept from school for months last year .

I don't know if parents of those school age children would agree with that, hence the high levels of walk in testing in the last week or so.

The changes to the testing smacks of 'don't test children , don't find cases in children 'and goes against the WHO advice , which Dr Nabarro said tonight was to continue testing as much if not more to ensure that this is really in decline and ti pick up pockets of increased infection before they become problematic .

The head in the sand approach might just come back to bite us yet with a surge that will only become apparent when they are arriving at the doors of A&E .

It will be interesting to see if Delta is different with that younger age group or not . I sincerely hope it is not .

I think you know the answer to that question, Fintan , don't you .?

Talking case numbers and high levels of infection in unvaccinated children ...

We don't know how high levels of infection are in children if they are asymptomatic or if they are not tested .

We also don't know how Delta will affect them as they have been mostly protected from infection in previous waves .

I don't think it will result in serious disease as I said previously . Hasn't so far here .

Still would not like increased hospitalisations or illness in children to result from people's weariness of the case numbers and incessant testing .

It's a small price to pay to keep an eye on a group which are most likely not going to be vaccinated for a while , if ever , and are dependant on us 'adults'to look out for them .

https://www.aappublications.org/news/2021/09/03/covid-delta-variant-children-hospitalizations-090321

Post edited by Goldengirl on

I've always been puzzled by the 24/7 "stay safe" stuff. We're told to stay safe, but somehow closing gyms for over a year and leaving chippers open for over a year (I don't think they ever closed) isn't bad for our health. Top public health celebrity, Tony Fauci, in the US presumably supports giving people hamburgers and doughnuts to people to imcentivise them to get the vaccine since he's the main man over there. Are hamburgers suddenly healthy? Chris Witty in the UK is saying that vaccines will be good for schoolchildren's mental health, but it didn't seem to occur to him that their mental health was destroyed because of endless lockdowns. So there's constant talk of staying safe and healthy, on the one hand, but, on the other hand, the places that are good for mental and physical health were all either closed or closed off to the public, while the places that are bad for people's health, i.e. chippers, McDonald's etc, never closed.

• Advertisement

Very good article re Delta in US but talking a lot of sense re global issues

• Registered Users Posts: 18,439 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

How many 0.00001% of covid cases did we avoid by stopping 7 year old kids playing together in parks? Would the world have collapsed under the weight of bodies if we had allowed children to go to cul camps?

Would it bollocks. Things would have played out almost exactly the same, except that the health and development of 7 year old kids would have been far better than locking them up for a year.

And yes, I am aware that we could not have allowed every special case to be open but it absolutely did not need to be the black and white total lockdown that Ireland had to endure. Some nuance here and there would have been nothing but good, but instead we got a single issue government that didn't respect its people enough to trust them to understand why gyms or parks could be open when pubs or other workplaces were not.

Once again, you are not correct.

It reduces spread, reduces infection and significantly reduces severity. We have an actual R rate at the moment of < 1 with a virus variant with R0 >6. I don't think even you would suggest we are 80-90% restricted in our day to day lives any more, which means that its not restrictions alone that is preventing spread.

Cul camps happened.

Parks only closed in the first few weeks of the pandemic.

I sometimes wonder is it just the anti restrictions posters who have locked themselves in their homes

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭gral6

More over, some idiots from some councils have also closed public toilets in the parks when you could attend them. Great care about our health!

Gyms were closed because they are good environments for propagating infection. There are a number of documented superspreader events in gyms, e.g.

I wouldn't pick that example to argue excessive restrictions, I'd pick closure of public outdoor spaces or the ban on cycling alone more than 2km from your home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Again we use other countries as examples for restrictions. Yet dont use them as examples for getting rid of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Logically, it's the way it's going. Journalists are creaming themselves over the fact that the self-referral appointment system has been booked out solid for two days.

I'm delighted that Irish people are so civic-minded that they will continue to go for tests at this late stage of the game, but it's unnecessary. The majority of these are school kids with colds. Every second parent I talk to has at least one child with a sniffle and a cough. I am yet to hear of a single one of them testing positive.

In line with treating covid as a standard illness, the testing regime will too operate on the same basis. That is, you will be tested if you are ill enough to attend a GP or end up in hospital. But not if you're just languishing at home. You'll be asked to restrict your movements and wear a mask in public while you have symptoms, but that's about it. No automatic test unless you're not coping.

I'm not citing Canadian restrictions, I'm citing a superspreader event that happened in Canada.

But if you want to talk about restrictions, it seems like this year we re-opened gyms before Canada. So what's your point exactly?

• Advertisement

Vaccination doesn't just protect the vaccinated. Having 70% plus of the total population fully vaccinated will reduce spread in the unvaccinated. bIn addition, we know it spreads more easily in older populations.

Also in the 5-12 age bracket, 14 day cases have gone from 1237 to 3325 since the start of August

In 25-34 its gone from 2984 to 3811

Advertisement