Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Alternative News Channel "GB News" chaired by Andrew Neil launching - read OP before posting

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,324 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Tom Harwood is such a clown...favourite tweet...lol...arguing the finer points of constitutional law with a QC...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Flicked over to see if anything said about Neil leaving, He's on Farage waffling about how the Chinese are taking over the universities and he said Neil will be a "regular guest" on the show.

And 60 seconds in Farage mentions Brexit, an absolute one trick pony.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

BARB figures updated and in news that will surprise almost no one , GB News numbers have continued to decline.

They are so far behind the other "news" channels as to almost be out of sight.

BBC News has almost 6X the average weekly viewers at present.

GB News closest competitor up or down is a channel called "GEO News" which appears to be a Pakistan based Urdu language channel available on Satellite.

GEO News has grown it's audience by almost 50% in the last month or so while GB News is losing about 5% a week.

At it's current rate of decline (if it survives that long) GB News will drop below GEO News in about 8-10 weeks - Perhaps quicker if GEO News keep growing.

GB News , surpassed by a foreign language News channel broadcast into the UK explicitly for a mostly Muslim immigrant population... Oh the Irony!!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Did the relaunch that would solve the problem of no viewers ever happen?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,297 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Not sure, but chances are they'll announce another relaunch in about 3 weeks so I'm sure that'll turn things around.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭Cody montana

Is Nick Griffin looking for a job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Turns out that poll about how much people liked GBeebies and how the advertising boycott would make them watch more, wasn’t really legit. How shocking.

https://bylinetimes.com/2021/09/13/poll-position-survey-on-gb-news-bias-reveals-bias/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Some here seem a bit obsessed about a channel in another country which has no affect on us here in Ireland at all, I watch a bit of it now and again but if it disappeared tomorrow or if it goes on to became a roaring success it wouldn't bother me either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

So Rashford isnt a grifter AND Andrew Neil isn't returning to save the station.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭francois

Welsh language Paw Patrol claims a scalp

He will be a "regular guest" on Farage's hour of hate, that's about it for his contributions.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

This sort of tired, petty line gets trotted out when the defenders of the failed enterprise can employ nothing else.

I live in the UK by the way and I'm entitled to criticise whatever I want.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Whats your problem with the channel anyway?

You seem to be crying about it all the time, sure if you don't like what they have to say just don't watch it.

That word doesn't mean what you think it means.

I think that it should be ok to criticise individuals and organisations, even if they are right wing sacred cows. Especially if so. I don't so much have a problem with it. Moreso that I find it hilarious that anyone with money would be so f*cking stupid as to launch a new TV channel for edgelords, bigots and other intellectual pygmies in the 21st century.

• Advertisement

Well RTE is the channel for you so because its full of leftie liberal woke crap and anyone who might be right leaning is never seen again once they rip the rest of the panel on the various current affairs programmes to shreds with well thought out arguments.

Not an easy thing to do when even the interviewer is against them.

This sounds a lot more like crying to me.

Feel free to provide some evidence. Otherwise, I'll shift my attention back to GB News, the subject of the thread.

Have a look some night at Prime Time, Claire Byrne Live or over on VM1 The Tonight Show and its all the evidence you need.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,042 ✭✭✭Carfacemandog

The stage was too big for Andrew Neil.

He couldn't stand all the exposure, and had to run away.

I know this because The Party told me so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,974 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Don't you post a fair a bit about immigration in Sweden and the UK or am I mixing you up with someone else? How much does that affect you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Well I think the joke is on you lot: Andrew Neil is going to have a presence on the channel, and that is exactly where he belongs.

I mentioned previously that holding the role of chairman and having a daily show of his own is prolly too much, especially given his age.

So the perfect outcome is he will be making regular appearance on GBNews.

I'm sure he'll be devastated to hear some here have 'lost all respect for him'. How easily some people here put people into the rubbish bin, but that's exactly how the Left currently operate. And there's no such thing as cancel culture. Ha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Multiculturalism doesn’t mean mixed nationality people…

we all know what sect of romanian poeople he was on about, he’s not targeting bogdan the electrician.

Lol. Full marks for blind loyalty. The flagship presenter absconds after just 8 shows, then resigns as a presenter and chairman of the station he launched and the joke is on us?

I'll say it now, if Neil appears in any way as a consistent contributor to the show he has no respect for himself. Would be like Alex Ferguson trying to be kitman at Utd after stepping down as manager.

You appear to be using this thread to make grandiose lefty statement's but without going into the nitty gritty of any particular issue.

Rashford is certainly coming from a good (naive) place but the idea that the state should provide meals is I think a huge problem, because it takes away one's own ability to cook for themselves. Obesity is a massive problem in the UK (pardon the pun), and for all I've heard school meals are nutritionally trash.

So I think Rashford's own angle on this needs further thinking from himself.

And I totally disagree that if one is poor there are destined to eat crap. Totally false. If Rashford want's to get properly involved in this then what he should be doing is advocating for healthy eating, instead of a very basic idea of the state feeding her children. Rashford hardly would be able to live the life he does by eating fried food, as currently provided by the UK state.

So what Rashford is doing, is like yourself, making grandiose statements, that sound good, but are devoid of any practical sense.

Just come out and have the courage to say Roma.

Who make up 3-4% of the Romanian population - they're more prevalent in other countries like Bulgaria, and have higher bulk numbers in others like Spain.

He may as well just say "Irish" when talking about travelers.

Ah. Another modern Lefty tacit: Which is to presume a point of view comes from a kind of person as depicted in your image.

The irony of that is that it's the Left that say there is no such thing as a stereotype. But you and the Left use stereotypes when it suits you.

1. Which of these is worse: not optimally healthy food, or no food at all?

2. If Rashford couldn't live the life he does by eating these meals, how is it he lives the life he does by eating these meals during his childhood?

3. It's more than a bit rich to call someone naive about a system they literally grew up with and depended on when you didn't. And yes, I'm making the safe assumption you didn't grow up depending on British lunches for children in need.

That's the issue that the Tories and co have had with Rashford. The typical patronizing, "he means well but just doesn't understand from his million pound home" stuff doesn't apply to him, and is why it didn't resonate with the public either.

Well done on adding a new wrinkle to the victimhood mentality! Fantastic work there, love.

But yeah, everyone onose those big mean lefties assume everyone who disagrees with them is from Shelbyville.

• Advertisement

Oh, another Lefty tactic: I voice an opinion and therefore I have 'blind loyalty' to something or other. That's particularly rich coming from yourself, someone who is clearly Far Left.

I've never had blind loyalty to Andrew Neil, he was always a heavyweight political commentator and my opinion of him is the same today as it always was.

1. Daft question.
    2. Well he was lucky enough to survive that, due to the fact he's a grossly overpaid soccer player
    3. You can make the assumption I grew up on studs and vegetables that my parents didn't feel the state should provide for me, but they provided, and the value of that is I didn't grow up obese; and learned how to cook for myself in my teenage years, which is an extremely valuable skill to have especially if you fall on hard times.

1. Good. You acknowledge that these meals are a good thing then.

2. He wasn't a grossly overpaid soccer player as a child. This is why this argument fell apart when people tried it during the controversy, and why the Tories backpedalled so quickly.

3. You grew up more privileged than Marcus Rashford then. No wonder you don't understand.

Tell me, what does multiculturalism mean, in your words? Please be as specific as you can.

Because I'll be honest with you, if a girl born in Canada to Romanian and Chinese parents who was raised in England, won a tennis tournament in America and spoke in Mandarin to the media afterwards and is unashamedly proud of her background is not close to the textbook definition of multiculturalism I don't know what is.

Do you need a safe space? You seem to think any disagreement with your posts are part of some sort of a 'Lefty Tactic' and it seems to be getting to you.

1. No I don't acknowledge state given school meals is a good thing: I vigorously oppose it. If anything I support that all teenagers should have one lesson a week in how to cook, at least, and not free school meals. Cooking is not that hard. It's mostly chopping and not burning anything.
    2. My point is that he should know better, after his success, to have the state feed it's children, with crap. His is a rare success from where he came from.
    3. I have a policy of not giving away my background in this forum, but all I will say is the idea that I grew up from a privileged background couldn't be more false. It is precisely because I didn't the views I'v espoused here regards nutrition and crap schools meals comes from.

1. You already agreed that sub optimally healthy meals are better than no meals at all. Your only other option here is that taxpayers should pay more to provide healthy food for these children to learn to cook their own meals with, as that stuff doesn't just appear out of thin air.

2. And yet, he is a success in where he came from. He wouldn't have been without these vital meals.

3. If you didn't need to rely on the state for meals your family couldn't afford, yep you grew up more priviliged than Marcus Rashford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭Polar101

I haven't watched it, but "Talking pints" sounds like a drunk person annoying anyone who listens. Which definitely sounds like something Farage would do.

• Advertisement

"the perfect outcome is he will be making regular appearance on GBNews."

A five minute slot on a Monday evening on Farage's "hour of hate" 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

It's basically a show about that guy in every Irish pub who despite peppering every conversation with appalling views gets tolerated as a sort of panto character by the other locals.

In Irish country pubs said man usually comes with a stupid nickname

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Oh, right... so he's a selective bigot/hypocrit.

Good to know...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,297 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I imagine that'll only last maybe 2 months max and then Neil will be gone completely. Almost seems more like something to save face and show he still believes in the channel, while also removing himself from it as much as possible.

Also seems odd that they'd have him appear on Farage's show (which seems to get the best ratings on the channel) rather than trying to have Neil pop in to other shows to try get them a small bump. I'd guess they really want to bump up Farage's show as much as possible and hope viewers might stick around for other shows on the back of that. And we all know what that means....

Farage will soon be wearing a big green coat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

He always was shure isn't his own wife an EU immigrant

Farage's show seems to be the only thing GB News' viewer is interested in so it makes sense that they're trying to shore that up while Neil is willing to associate with the channel. Well, insofar that it makes sense to try and cater to the crybully brigade with a TV channel in the 21st century.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,160 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

This was always going to happen. They could make a big splash with Andrew Neil ad the front man, but it always needed to turn into entertainment news if it was gong to stay around.

The right wing talking points are appealing to the kind of people who don't think hard about issues and work more from emotion than reasoning. So of they did a reason based channel, it wouldn't grab their market. So they were always going to go down the Fox News entertainment route. That way they can base their stories on emotions and feelings rather than having to rely on reason and argument. Andrea Neil would be more suites to the latter, Niger Farrage will be well suited to the former.

I imagine they'll do very well with an emotion based entertainment channel like fox news. Jazzy banners, lots of background music and graphics and anything to keep it entertaining.

The channel is now doomed no matter what they do. There's no way back from here. People simply aren't interested and those who want news entertain are already well catered for on social media.

Everyone knows this, especially those involved in GB News which is why many of them are jumping ship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I strongly disagree. The "democratisation" of discussing politics is a very old business. Smart , informed people have sober discussions of policy and substance. But that takes huge knowledge of what's going on in Parliament. Very few people have that knowledgeable they have very few people to chat with because there are few other people with similar levels of knowledge.

So the rest of us have to add in elements of entertainment if we're going to have a discussion that lasts longer than 30 seconds without honestly saying "well I don't know the answers to any of the relevant questions". But turning news into entertainment involves cutting out the argument and skipping straight to the answer based on emotion rather than reason.

I think k they were doomed as long as they tried to do any honest, sober news. Their target market is perfect for an entertainment channel like fox news.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

They are a YouTube channel pretending to be a TV Channel.

Their target demographic don't consume "news" in 30 minute or 1Hr chunks - They consume it in sub 5-minute videos that they can watch on their phone and then rage tweet about.

The sort of people that sit in front of Tucker Carlson, Hannity et al all evening in the US just don't exist in the UK.

They are all watching Corrie ,EastEnders and Googlebox etc. instead.

People might be interested in the story-line from GBNews , but they are absolutely not interested in the format.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement