Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Alternative News Channel "GB News" chaired by Andrew Neil launching - read OP before posting

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Ofcom rules mean that they can't be an "Entertainment" channel like Fox News though.

So they are stuck in no-mans land and the result ends up catering to nobody in particular.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

They pretty much are though. Ofcom is pretty much powerless to stop them from going full on Fox News. Arguably, they have already. You can't have a program called "Wokewatch" and pretend to be impartial. The problem is that the "entertainment" is just the same old thing over and over again which, as you've pointed out works in 5-minute servings, not hour long broadcasts.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I suspect they'd be booted out of the News section on EPGs if they try the "we're actually entertainment" approach.

Didn’t GB news have a broadcast recently for which the official viewing figure was zero?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Indeed - They can get away with "segments" like the "Wokewatch" guff , but eventually they'll get pulled up on it.

Ironically , they probably haven't been pulled yet because not enough people are actually watching to generate a complaint to Ofcom.

The audience for multiple hours of that sort of stuff simply isn't there as evidenced by their rapidly declining viewing numbers and the fact that there average viewing duration is a stunning 21 seconds.

Their target audience want tweetable soundbites , not hours of listening to Farage moaning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The people who want "light entertainment news" are already happy and we'll catered for by the likes of Sky which for the most part doesn't require a deep interest in politics to enjoy it's programming.

Even among people who support it's politics I don't think there is an audience for the extremely dumbed down red faced shouting arena that is Fox

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,615 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I just don't see Ofcom actually doing anything though when you consider the state of HM Government. I find it hard to believe that Ofcom are unaware of what's going on.

The thing with Fox News is that they hit the ground with a captive audience and then ramped things up with the repeal of the Fairness Doctrine under Reagan so they've had decades to build a brand. GB News on the other hand began life in the social media age. It might as well be a radio station.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Makes one wonder was wokewatch even named thus to try and poke the bear. Get some OFCOM complaints going as to generate some victim complex, viral traction. Feed into the narrative of a counter balance to those mean lefties. In which case, it's doubly sad when an attempt troll fails cos nobody's watching. Hard to interpret any channel as a serious intellectual competitor with a name that openly obnoxious and confrontational.

That'd be my take. The modern conservative narrative hinges on pretending to be oppressed and never shutting up about it but if nobody is watching in a country where Boris Johnson has a stonking majority then there's nobody to sell controversy to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,297 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I think the trouble with things like "Wokewatch" is that it's aimed at people who hate all the "Woke" stuff, yet that probably puts some of those people off watching because it's talking all about that where some people probably prefer to ignore it as much as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Well exactly. The blindspot these people who get really, irrationally angry about woke stuff is by and large, at best, people don't care. I've lost count of times from chatting with people in RL, and they have never even heard the term "woke" before (usually accompanied by my halting, embarrassed attempt to explain the concept); yet here's a TV channel, full of adults, trying to make it a foundational principle to their business. It's mad stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I think you underestimate the people in the UK (and probably Ireland) if you think hey wouldn't watch entertainment news. There hasn't been an English Tucker Carlson for the English to watch so they cant have watched it in the past. But I think they would watch it as much as any of the other entertainment you listed above, then i think that's where you underestimate them.

I think they would lap up a right wing entertainment news channel in the same way that they keep the Daily Express going and Twitter and Facebook are full of emotionally based guff.

The Daily express has headlines on their front page including Pensions getting screwed, anti climate change protesters, EU bloc on the ropes, "Brexit Gamechanger! Truss demands UK firms get ready for major new trade boost", Nicola Sturgeon should resign and I sh! t you not there's a headline about the Argentinean President and the Falklands. The target market for this sot of stuff and Facebook and Twitter guff, would love a news channel that caters to their prejudice. They have neither the intelligence or the resources to discuss politics in reality so they can only discuss it in the way people discuss their favourite football team. James O Brien calls it "the footballification of politics" and i think he captures the mood nicely.

But I must be honest and say i don't know how much power Ofcom has or if it can stop GB News from becoming Fox News GB.

But this is effectively entertainment news or as close to Fox as it's possible to get in the UK and nobody's watching. This is pretty good metric to gauge the British public's interest in such things.

The evidence would suggest that it's GB News that's has underestimated things.

Their viewing numbers are dreadful and have declined each and every week since launch. If the audience exists they have failed to find each other so far.

I think you are correct that there are people interested in the idea of GB News insofar as they agree with the "angle" being pitched, but they don't seem to have any interest in sitting down of an evening to watch several hours of programming - They'll watch the clips and retweet the headlines etc. , but they just don't seem to be interested in switching off the Soaps and Reality shows on a wet Tuesday to actually watch GB News in any meaningful way.

As others have said - It would have been far cheaper and probably just as effective if they simply launched a GB News YouTube or TikTok account and hadn't bothered with the whole TV station thing.

Their current 24/7 broadcast model just will not work long term , it's just not financially viable , regardless of content.

A relaunch as an "Exclusive digital only News Channel" is their likely next path , meaning they'll simply fall back to the only bit that currently works for them - short snappy tweetable soundbites on YouTube that go quite well with a few longer form videos that will get hardly any views but help them justify the "news channel" angle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I think they would lap up a right wing entertainment news channel in the same way that they keep the Daily Express going and Twitter and Facebook are full of emotionally based guff.

They clearly haven't been lapping it up based on the viewing figures.

Ah yeah but it's new and evolving so it's hardly fair to judge whether it will gather a following in the future yet. The format changes from week to week it seems.

I see Neil Oliver as an interesting case. I see him as a serious person so I wonder if he will stick around when it goes full-on entertainment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,578 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I think it's an age thing. The late middle aged investors were probably duped by someone telling them that "woke" is what the kids are talking about these days and there's loads of easy money to be made about it. "Here look at this thing on the internet which proves it..."

But unfortunately they hadn't a bull's notion that in the real world that term is rarely even used and its concepts (as vague as they are) don't even register in most people's lives.

Andrew Neil and others must feel like proper numpties at the moment.

Agreed. Even if it hasn't gone as far as Fox News, it's closer to that than anything else on TV, and it's still not attracting viewers (and in fact, losing viewers at a fairly substantial rate).

If it was appealing to enough viewers, those viewers would be trying to support it. As someone else said on Twitter last night; "Bots don't watch TV". They might get a bunch of tweets and video views etc, and I'm sure many prefer watching quick highlights or main points from some of their shows. But the majority of the output of the channel isn't getting anywhere near enough traction that they need. They've gone as close to Fox News style as they can while staying within Ofcom rules and will likely keep trying to push further towards that, but what Fox News has now was something changed and fostered over decades. They got to a level of huge national news channel, then became what they are now in terms of the more entertainment/discussion side of things. GB News can't push towards that starting at square one.

I'd say their target market is squarely old, conservative people. Not young people at all. They might have told them that the old people are all in a rage about the young people and their woke ideas, so we can tap into the angry old people market.

I imagine the market to be old, conservative, low socio economic, low resource, low on information, high in nostalgia, high in superficial patriotism. That demographic is probably not ideally suited to the online format but it might take off with them if they want it to. Like the way loads of older people learned to use Skype during the pandemic.

I think loads of people wrote it off before it even started and now it's evolving and they're still writing it off. Just because it's ridiculous doesn't mean it won't find a way to work. Fox news is like a parody of a real news channel and it's been the biggest news channel in the US for ages now.

• Advertisement

The key issue isn't really about their content etc. , it's about Financial viability.

News Channels don't make money outside the US , they just don't.

They are either State funded like RTE or the BBC or they are used as "loss leaders" of sorts by wider broadcasting organizations , like Sky News.

Sky News currently has 6X the viewers of GB News and it has never been profitable, its losses are covered by the rest of the wider organization though so it's sustainable.

GB News doesn't have that backstop - It's a money pit and always will be , that's just the cold reality of TV Broadcasting.

The survival of GB News has little do do with finding an audience , it's all about how long the Sugar daddies are willing to keep putting their hands in their pockets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,949 ✭✭✭✭banie01

So their target market is mirroring their viewing numbers? In so far as both are dying.

But nobody's watching. 17.4 million people voted for Brexit and nearly 14 million voted for Johnson's Tory party. GB News had its launch and it turned out to be not even a storm in a teacup. You seem convinced that it'll evolve into some form of insidious threat but it needs viewers to justify its existence and those barely exist.

I had no idea that's how it works.

So who is funding GB news so far?

Well, yes but you could say the same of FF and FG and the UK Tory party and the readers of the Express. They all relay on older people. You could say that in 20 years half their target market will be dead and you'd be correct, but old people are always being created too. And they can adapt to suit the demographics as they evolve.

Just because old people die doesn't mean there's no future in appealing to old people. There have never been as many old people as there are now and people live longer and longer.

But the poster above pointed out that News channels don't make money in the UK so it's more about willingness to continue funding it rather than anything else

I think there are a few big-money backers, with their primary aim being to increase numbers of more right-leaning voters so as it's more likely more Conservative influence in high-level political positions, which will ultimately help increase the wealth of the rich. So to some extent, they're willing to take a loss financially if they feel it will pay off long-term.

But if GB News isn't getting the views and isn't converting some towards switching from centrist to right, they may not see there as being much point and pull the plug.

• Advertisement

From the Metro:

"Who is funding GB News?

GB News has secured £60m in funding in order to make it to the airwaves.

Of this, £20m came from the American media company Discovery (the people behind such channels as Discovery Channel, Science Channel, TLC, Food Network and Animal Planet).

The remaining money came from two other sources; British hedge fund manager Paul Marshall, and Legatum, a private investment firm which is based in Dubai."

American media, a hedge fund manager and an investment firm. That'll show the establishment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭Rawr

My guess is Discovery were hoping for a Fox News style cash-cow and threw in that £20m in the hope of a good return down the road. They probably won't do that again. As for the other two...anyone's guess what they are up to.

But £60m? How long could that last I wonder? Central London location + a whole studio suite + whatever channel rental they have to pay to Sky etc... + all of the wages. Can't be too much of that left, unless they got more investment since June.

I think it could still evolve into a bigger enterprise and could be an insidious threat. I don't think it's definitely going to do so.

If it has backers who are willing to keep throwing money at it then it doesn't need enough viewers to be financially. It just needs enough viewers to have an impact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,123 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Bit those same older people don't like new things and probably watch BBC/ITV like they have always done despite not being completely aligned with it's politics.

The only station GBnews is in competition with in it's current Farage form is Russia Today watching conspiracy nuts

How? It would make just as much sense for the backers to literally burn their money. There's nothing GB News can do to draw an audience at this rate. A pathogen needs a host in which to replicate and mutate. This is what GB News does not have.

• Advertisement

The thing with BBC and ITV is that while they do show news and political commentary, they also do sports, music and other entertainment so one can segue from BBC News into Eastenders and then into something else, ie they've reason to watch the same channel for a stretch. With GB News, it's just "Here's another reason why woke is bad" on repeat and it gets old.

I have to agree, and it's why Andrew Neil leaving is a big moment even though he hasn't been on the channel in months. He lended the channel a credibility and recognition it needed, and could possibly have attracted some of the BBC News audience. His name also could have attracted a decent level of guests. But with the channel's launch going so poorly, Neil going off-air, Farage coming on board (which attracts some viewers, but will likely put others off), and now Neil leaving completely, it's hard to see what any further relaunches will change, or who they could attract to join the channel that might turn things around.

The biggest question facing GB News right now is; what can they now offer to bring in new viewers that they haven't already tried? Relaunches at this stage is rearranging deckchairs on the Titanic. The pool of new presenters they can likely attract will most likely only come from the same pool as their existing presenters and offer the same thing. They can't try to appeal to more centrist viewers as, with the Guto Harri situation, they face losing some of their existing viewers for trying to appeal to the "woke" side. And there's only so far more to the right they can go without coming in for heavy criticism and losing whatever advertisers they have left (as well as those involved with the channel who may decide it'll be too damaging to their career to stay).

Looking at it as objectively and unbiased as possible, I genuinely don't see what they can do to turn things around in any kind of substantial way.

How? By growing its audience over time. You seem to rule out the possibility that it can grow its audience to the point that it has an impact and I don't rule that out. I don't claim to know it will happen either but I think the people who wrote it off before it even started were doing so out of desire.

If it has backers who are willing to support it financially then it doesn't need to make money. A poster above claimed GB News has a viewership of one sixth of Sky News. That's significant already and it can't be written off as a few conspiracy nutters.

I'll wait and see how it goes. I wouldn't relish it gaining popularity but i wouldn't write it off either.

That's a massive assumption for a channel with no viewers. How does it grow? Who does it try and get on board given how far right it's already gone? Tommy Robinson? Farage allegedly left UKIP because Robinson was allowed to join.

I don't completely rule it out either, but it's hard to know how they can achieve it, especially as they're not holding on to the viewers they currently have. Even if their backers kept them financially stable for another year (or even threw a bit more money into it), I can't see what they can try do to grow that audience.

At a push, Piers Morgan might get the ball rolling. Would he join? I think the odds of that have only decreased over time, especially with Andrew Neil leaving and the ratings currently where they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭generic_throwaway

Those defending the status quo, by definition, are conservative. And the status quo is where the power it. Folks trying to change things are generally outsiders. So you have reactionaries trying to drag us back to the old days when blacks knew their place etc. and you have other folks trying to shift society to be accepting of things that are not widely accepted yet (and may never be). As someone has pointed out, not being homophobic isn't really a progessive position anymore as it's widely accepted.

Isn't this the interesting point though? That poster said the left is Golliath now, but Ireland doesn't have a left wing government nor has it ever had a government that isn't headed by either FF or FG. Likewise the UK has had a Conservative government for a decade and increased its majority the last time around.

If parliaments took place in twitter then the left would be in charge. Out here in the real world the uk governments are centre right- right wing givrrned country and, as you say, the news is overwhelmingly right leaning. But they've convinced the country they're under the boot of the left and if they don't like the way things are being run by the right then they need to turn harder to the right.

It's an impressive con trick and it's worked really well over the last decade.

Post edited by El_Duderino 09 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

The Jersey of the sitting minister is often irrelevant, the power and influence often unelected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Did this thread just circle right back to where is started despite the numbers the drop out of staff and presenters and zero evidence of growth.

Absolute bizarre. I stand by my statement it won't see the year out. Plug will be pulled. No one's throwing more bad money after good. Depsite the absolute polar opposite expectations of reality from individual posters who are continually railing against 'the establishment man'. Ironically or not... Can't decide.

• Advertisement

I think in reality if the UK had PR-STV like us , you'd have had loads more coalitions and the Tories (and Labour tbf) would have drifted closer to the centre as offering a little something to everyone is what is required to win Elections when it's not FPTP.

The UK system allows political parties to focus almost exclusively on their "core support" as usually it'll be enough to get them over the line in FPTP single seat constituencies. You see the same taken to even greater extremes in the US.

That leads to the entrenched positions you increasingly see and the marketplace that GB News hoped existed for them.

What you really end up with is a whole load of people that actually live in and around the center that aren't really catered for politically , but have voted one way or the other not because they are all in on supporting said party , but because they don't have a viable alternative.

This gives someone like the Tories a feeling that they have much greater support than they really do - Remember , their "thumping majority" came from just a little over 40% of the vote.

So GB News think there's this huge market for their brand , but in reality most people really couldn't give a damn one way or the other and really and truly aren't energised by "Anti-woke" etc. etc. etc.

It's that flawed market analysis that has GB News in the hole they currently find themselves in.

OK. Do you really think the left is in charge of the Tory party at the moment?

Then poster above characterised the left as Golliath, which I presume necessary the rest of society the David. If you look at the Tory party and think they're the Golliath left, then it sums up perfectly what I said in the last post.

"If you don't like how things are beibg run by the right, then you need to turn harder to the right".

You mean like the almost entirely right wing media, hedge funds, banks, corporate lobby groups, fossil fuel firms and arms manufacturers? Or is this just another conservatives are the real victims narrative?

Generic said at the start that the status quo was the conservative position, went on to refer to different social changes.

Concludes post by saying acceptance of gay marriage is the acceptable position now ,in other words The status quo

You're speaking about the UK, I'm referring to Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,578 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

The average middle aged/old aged conservative voter probably wouldn't have a clue what "a woke" was. And anti-woke is the raison d'etre of the channel. Plus older people are extremely reluctant to be early adapters of anything. But I'm sure if they tuned in, GBeebies wouldn't object though. But this whole thing is built on tenuous internet concepts, birthed from a US culture war mentality of binary, school yard, politics. Not exactly the realm of your average Alf Garnet type in England even if that type would be pretty one note in their political views. However, I don't know what the actual age breakdown of the tiny viewership is and, in any case, my "what the kids are talking about these days..." was more of a parlance than an actual comment on who GB News is aimed at.

As for the channel working, it hasn't shown any signs of that as of yet. I've said it before a few times on the thread that the only honest assessment here is that it has been a complete disaster and an absolute failure in every regard. Andrew Neil abandoning ship early, and staying in the water, has clearly demonstrated that. The lead guy doing a runner doesn't display any kind of success factor, or even a hope for any future success. It may try to lumber on into next year, but the forecast for the time ahead certainly doesn't look that good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Doesn't affect me at all because I've never once posted about immigration in Sweden or the UK.

Ah, I thought you were referring to my post. My mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭generic_throwaway

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement