Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,898 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Nobody was forced to get a vaccine. Nor should they be.

Equally, no-one who chose to get a vaccine should be forced to share a high-risk environment with those people who chose not to get a vaccine. So it's entirely appropriate to keep unvaccinated people away from those of us who chose not to be absolute dicks about it.

Young people didn't need to be forced to get the vaccine, all they needed was a very gentle nudge and it worked. Thankfully most of them are very well educated and saw the benefits and filtered out all the noise from people like yourself.

These are some of the most cringe-worthy posts I've ever read on this forum. Just get your vaccine and focus on yourself. Thats what I did.

I don't feel the need to preach to other people or judge someone's education level based on their vaccination status.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,439 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

"Forced to share a high risk environment with those who chose not to get a vaccine"

But vaccines don't stop transmission? And the vaccinated people aren't high risk? And nobody is ever forced to go to a restaurant?

Your post makes no sense whatsoever.

Vaccines greatly reduce the risk of transmission. Vaccines greatly reduce the risk of contracting it from someone who is contagious.

If everyone was vaccinated, the risk becomes minute. Throw a few unvaccinated lads into a crowded pub and suddenly that risk starts going up and up.

Jesus this is exhausting, my 5G chip is overheating. Good luck with the overthrow of society, I'll leave ye to it.

• Advertisement

No, NIAC and NPHET judged there was an even lower risk vaccine available for younger groups. If the other vaccines were not available, everyone would have gotten AZ/ J&J

• Registered Users Posts: 13,063 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

I normally agree with you but not this time , Seamus .

25% of positive tests over the last 14 days have been in the 0 to 18 age group .

That is increases positivity .

It is not translating to increased illness or hospitalisations though , but I don't agree that testing these children is unnecessary .

We need more testing capabilities if there is difficulties with these numbers but until it is known that these " coughs and sniffles " are nothing more than the common cold those parents and schools and creches don't know what they are dealing with .

As said yesterday by Dr Nabarro, special envoy on Covid to WHO , testing is an essential component even when Covid is endemic as pockets can grow and mutate if left unchecked.

And how will we know if we are not testing ?

We have had this discussion over and over .

It really doesn't matter if the cases are severe or not , what age they are or whether we are vaccinated or not . All symptomatic people need testing .

It's not as if anyone is saying we need to shut down again because of high positivity but we are the highest level in the EU at present so it is veering towards anti science to say " we're vaccinated enough , to hell with it , Stop Testing " .

That is normally the cry of the" let it rip " and " open all up regardless , it's just a flu" people !

( Which I am sure does not apply to you )

At the very least it needs to be determined if it is decreasing in fact , or increasing in certain age groups so that mitigation measures can be put in place .

Anyway even those very much symptomatic cannot attend their GP but have a phone referral .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,579 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

There is no proof that young people 'needed the nudge'. The vaccine passport came in before many even had a chance to sign up for a vaccine. This is purely speculative and goes against the actual proof we had which is that our vaccine take up rate was extremely high before any 'nudge' was given. Not to mention the passport is gone in a month's time anyway

Children only back 2 weeks .

Lets come back to this in 2 more weeks and discuss cases among children.

25% currently under 18 but with 12 to 18 year olds getting vaccinated fully it will be only the little ones left to get infected .

But sure why bother testing them, they don't get that sick , eh? Only upsetting them and their parents if they get a positive . Best not to be doing that , yeah ?

Ignorance is bliss .

Post edited by Goldengirl on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

What percentage of tests were 0/18,any idea of the positivity for that age group, obviously if testing is focused on them the overall percentage will go up?

• Advertisement

You are using the fact that transmission has always been lower in children now to say that Delta is not that infectious ?

Also the people getting infected which you appear to be claiming, is not the same thing ,

as the severity of illness in those people .

The sickest people in hospital at the moment with no underlying conditions are young people UNVACCINATED . Median age 27 !

Lots of people with vaccination but immunocompromised either through disease or medication sick also but numbers in all of those that would have been badly affected without the jab greatly reduced.

However without it we would have been a lot worse than January . I really don't understand why you think otherwise?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

I agree Goldengirl

we should be testing all of the children

all of the time .

And vaccinating them all too!

Otherwise our ICUs will be overrun with sick toddlers !

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Didn't some states in the US actually run out of pediatric ICU beds?

I don't think the capacity here in Ireland is particularly high and we don't want their usage to impact other services.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

And yet this level of testing cannot go on indefinitely or we could end up testing for testing sake and that is really not how you deal with another respiratory ailment, which COVID will become in time. There is a level of let it rip going on at present and any risk to the rest of the now quite small pool declines as more get infected, a risk mitigated by our impressive rates of vaccination.

@timmyntc You know I don't agree with that either .

I will leave you to it , no point trying to have a sensible conversation or debate with that level of reply .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Be right back

1,181 cases today.

Hospitals at 309, 60 in ICU. Should see it drop well below 300 this week and hopefully ICU heading towards 50 more quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭BobHopeless

What a nonsense post. I'm pro vaccine but people who decide not to be vaccinated shouldn't have to be looked down upon and preached to by people like you.

As I said in my previous reply to you , infection numbers are not the same as illness .

The group you picked ( over 60s) are the most likely to have more than one underlying condition along with reduced immunity , and would not as a group have the same level of VE as you quote .

Read the trial data .

Arguing against restrictions as some do here is one thing , and a lot of it is personal opinion .

Posting numbers and percentages and arguing with people unless you understand what you are posting about ?

That requires a little more reading .

I don't want to be arguing with you , just making a point that we can't be flippant about children and testing . .

I think if children need testing they should be tested and not ignored because it is more inconvenient .

And if not vaccinating we need to take care that they don't suffer any long term issues , be it from Covid , or missing school unnecessarily .

You unfairly say I don't have children . I do, although older and one has missed a good chunk of schooling over the last year .

I am also a Paediatric nurse as well as General , so I do advocate for children, and disagree with the " only a cough or a sniffle " labelling of what can be a very nasty infection , even in those little ones mildly affected during the first phase of it .

We don't know enough yet about this to be brushing it off so easily especially in a group so unprotected .

Back to school at the moment while totally essential, imo , is still an experiment with the youngest in society being the subjects , make no mistake about it .

They have to go back , they need to be mixing and playing , then they definitely need testing to ensure we keep as many safe as we can .

Yes. In states where vaccine uptake was poor and the cases in community got very high .

There has been about a small increase in young children being admitted but still not severe and not like the US thankfully .

I posted some links yesterday here about that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Nyero

What numbers was Nolan predicting for about now when they wanted to defer indoor dining at the start of July?

We talked about this a few weeks ago ;)

Remember ?

I cant remember but the least said about Nolans modelling the better.

That quite ' small pool 'is largely unprotected by vaccination.

Yes and they don't seem to want to be protected so will have to take a chance with the disease route. We are never going to get everyone and that's the nature of such programmes.

I think I said by mid October , because ICU follows behind numbers , but again will be happy to be proved wrong .

Fair dues for remembering 👍

It was something like that. Anyway, I'm pleased to see it going downwards regardless of who said what!

Oh I was talking about under 12s ..but agree with you about those others .

Anecdotal stuff from vaccinator that pockets of unvaccinated folk are now turning up for first doses.

Back from holidays abroad maybe ?

Or want to go abroad ?

• Advertisement

Oops not going down, at 60 ?

Hospitalisations yes .

Advertisement