Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suzuki gn 125

Options
  • 25-08-2021 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭

Hi all.

Hopefully picking up a 2012 gn in a few weeks and was wondering if anyone has any tips, advice or anything theyd like to share about them.

Also if anyone has a haynes manual for one and looking to sell it let me know.

Been riding bimes for years, getting this so I can take my Teansalp off the road flr an overhaul.

cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

Change the oil and filter and ride it. There's nothing much to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭raven41

As above, not much maintenance to be done. Had mine for 2 years and adjusted the chain once. Build quality is shocking and not up to usual Suzuki standards. Being built in China its a bit bargain basement and will show surface rust at the first sign of rain. Not a bike for the motorway either. Throttle needs to be pinned for it to slowly creep up to (maybe) 100kmh. Great around town bike and runs on fumes...

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭PopSensyDad

Rode H for 4 years 40,000km. 2012 GN is also H I'd imagine. Sharing too much of info (as many may find this discussion in the future too... good luck with the overhaul!)

Quite few figures like valve clearance on the Haynes manual is for the original GN125E/GS125 and different from the Chinese built H/2F/etc so I use GN125F service manual as the closest. For the parts, I found 2010 catalogue is the best (sorry cannot find the URL). I share 2015 L5/L6 one but do not trust too much. Quite few parts in Ali is for 2F or later and will/did not fit so better check photo against the one you got. Parts for E is even worse. Mostly same, however.

Only the chronic issue is the carb diaphragm, which might have to be changed every 10,000 ~ 20,000km, but it runs anyway. Otherwise keep changing oil regularly and won't stop. For improvement, changing the front sprocket to 15T and the tyres to something better like Dunlop/Michelin etc will make you exceptionally happy, GPS 100km/h no prob (except hill climb). Using engine oil for chain as the manual insists, and/or re-greasing the swingarm shaft with a high-spec one will drastically change the experience. NGK Iridium doesn't change much but the Power-cable does. Other things I tried were all kinda placebo. If you use for delivery, just use as factory. Too much to spend.

It should be noted that the rust information is true, but the issue is a tricky one within my knowledge. Mine did not rust at all for the first 2 years but quite few of my friends' did literally after few rides. The quality control is surely problematic. No point to compare GN-designed-in-1982 against more-recent-built-in-japan with x4 sold price. Comments/reviews around the H quality are exceptionally positive and H is very popular in Japan. So I think just be easy about the quality but enjoy the ride is the attitude for it.

ttps://www.manualslib.com/manual/1260371/Suzuki-Gn125f.html

ttps://pdfcoffee.com/manual-de-partes-suzuki-gn125-2015-pdf-free.html

(It won't post allow me to post a link. Pls add "h" at the beginning.)

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭pegdrums

Thankyou so much for all the info!

I picked it up last week and am incredibly glad I did. 7,850 km on the clock when I picked it up..mirrors and fuel cap still have the original blues plastic on them! As do several of the bolts around the bike. Its exceptionally clean.

I love it....drove from Meath to Cork after buying and had a blast. Once you adjust your perceptions its all good.

Thanks so much for thr manuals, purchased a haynes but it only goes up to 2001. Im guessing most of the basic stuff will be the same but theyll be very useful

Transalp is resting up in the shed.

A small problem appeared tonight.

Left indicators only work at idle.....while driving rear doesnt work at all and front blinks quickly and dimly?

Loose connection?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Your blinking indicator/lights issue could be a regulator/rectifier issue (too much voltage or not enough). I had the same on a CB250 about 3 years ago and got a new rectifier to fix. I know it is a different bike you have now but the behaviour seems similar to what I had at the time.

• Advertisement

thanks.

and was it only on one side in your case?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Yeah but it was the right hand side in my case. If you revved the bike above idle, the indicator would stop completely.

So I took the lens cap off the indicator and found that the bracket that holds the bulb was broken causing it to vibrate at higher revs. For the moment I have just stuck a piece of wood under the bulb which holds the bulb steady. Inidicator is now working at all speeds and high revs.

Advertisement