Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

United Rugby Championship announced, beginning September 2021

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

What has where the SA internationals play got to do with the implementation of the competition? Do you expect the other 4 unions for pay for the repatriation of SAs overseas players or something? The fact that most of their internationals play overseas is down to their own internal policies with respect to international availability and the state of their economy compared to Europe. Not the implementation of the URC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,726 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

My point is the SARU should put more faith into the URC by requiring their internationals to play in it and not treat it as second string to other leagues... To be fair the SARU are not the only union I have this issue with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

But they are only joining it this year with their main teams. How could they get players that are under contract in other countries back to play? The majority of players in the last SA squad play in the URC.

South Africa team to face the lions 3rd test

Willie Le Roux - Toyota Verblitz

Cheslin Kolbe - Toulon

Lukhanyo Am - Sharks

Damian de Allende - Munster

Makazole Mapimpi - Sharks

Handre Pollard - Montpelier

Cobus Reinach - Montpelier

Steven Kitshoff - Stormers

Bongi Mbonambi - Stormers

Frans Malherbe - Stormers

Eben Etzebeth - Toulon

Lood De Jager - Sale Sharks

Siya Kolisi - Sharks

Franco Mostert - Honda Heat

Jasper Wiese - Leicester Tigers

Malcolm Marx - Kubota Spears

Trevor Nyakane - Bulls

Vincent Koch - Saracens

Marco van Staden - Leicester Tigers

Kwagga Smith - Yamaha Jubilo

Herschel Jantjies - Stormers

Morne Steyn - Bulls

Damian Willemse - Saracens

So that's 9 of the last 23 man squad playing for the SA URC teams... Less than 40% is not a majority

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

How do you propose that the SA clubs bring players home? They don't have a magic money tree and one of the teams appears to be broke.

Pickeing a match to suit your argument I see. There were 13 URC players in the 23 for the first test. Also the last SA squad that irelandrover mentioned played Argentina, not the Lions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I said squad. Which is 21 out of 40. So a majority. The breakdown of the final lions team was 7 from URC, 2 in Japan, 4 in France, and 2 from England.

Why did you ignore most of my post? How do you expect the SARU to get players out of contracts to join URC teams? If in 3 years the balance is the same then it might be a problem.

Almost all the players playing in Japan are doing so after the world cup. And the SA clubs werent playing in a competitive league in the year leading up to the Lions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

If anything, what the teams need to do is try to bring back players who aren't in the Bok picture but will be very valuable and available all season. A Billy Holland or JOD type level.

Let's say a team gets Faf de Klerk back. As it stands, he'll miss at least a third of the URC.

That type.of Welsh fan is the northern Irish brexiteer of rugby. Teams can't compete in pro 14 and would be relegated from the prem (plus the prem don't give a **** about them)

• Advertisement

They have plenty of money in South Africa when they need it, if they can't afford to have 4 teams in the league then maybe start with seeing how many teams they can afford to have

How do you figure this? 18 games and he will only play 9 of them

They can easily afford to have 4 teams. They actually have 5. What they can't and definitely should not do is to try to match the private money on offer in Europe and Japan. There are still plenty of SA internationals at the 4 franchises, including the likes of Kolisi, Am, Vermeulen, Kitschoff, Jantjies and Willimse.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

External reasons like the SA economy and value of the Rand are as much a reason that SA internationals go abroad. You can't really blame SARU for that. Personally think it's great that we'll get to see the SA internationals that do play at home up against the provinces on a (semi) regular basis.

As an aside, I don't think I've looked forward to the opening weekend of the domestic league as much in a long time!

Also on the same aside, I also can't wait to get back to the terraces

• Advertisement

I didn't say 5 URC teams, I said 5 teams. Cheetahs still exist and will be playing some sort of competitive rugby this season.

Ah yes, the cheetahs who finished second from the bottom of the Currie Cup this year... There was rumours of them joining this seasons Challenge Cup wasn't there?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

URC TV meanwhile has gone live.

€20 for a weekend, €99 for a season pass giving you just games involving the Irish provinces, €120 for a season pass for all games.

Individual games can also be bought for €9.99.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

120 a year is good value.

A tenner a month for the same thing Eir were charging 30 quid for last year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 27,325 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I've bought the full season pass. That's great value.

Let's hope it works well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Can you buy the full season pass on URC.tv if you live in NI?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

What's the best option for folks in NI so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

When was this announced? It's far too late an announcement if this was the first. What with Premier having announced ages ago they'd have the games, as well as the French league games...

Mentioned (as a by the by) all the way back in the first press release for the Irish TV rights back in June. Wasn’t clear that it would be available in Ireland until recently. Won’t be available in the U.K., South Africa, and the other various African countries where SuperSport operates. Not sure why the Premier Sports deal allows URC TV to operate in ROI but not the U.K. (they are an Irish company after all!) but that’s the way it’s structured.

Its not for people in Ireland/UK. Its for people abroad.

Actually looking again it seems it is available in Ireland. That doesn't seem right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

In the FAQ there's a bit of info about using promo/discount codes & another bit of info about "as a Season Ticket Holder can I get a discount". Now that dosnt confirm anything, but I'm going to hold off on the sign up until the start of the competition just in case.

Strangely, Havnt got an email from URC TV about it going live (while being signed up for one) nor any releases from URC by email, social media etc. Looks like someone let the site update go live early

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭PMC83

Its a strange one but by all accounts Premier Sports will have the rights to broadcast all games in Ireland as well as the URCS official streaming service. Surely URC are shooting themselves in the foot there.

The URC one seems a little pricey, 120 for the year?

I paid a 120 quid (all be it a limited offer)for a 10 month NowSports extra package, which covers BTsport and Premier Sport 1+2. So thats all the URC, HCup and Top 14 games.

It is pretty similarly priced to e.g. NFL gamepass. They need to set up their own platform and its a niche service. I think its pretty reasonable anyway

Can you pause games or them later? This would be pretty sweet. The now option is grand but its a straight stream so none of that.

• Advertisement

Yes, all the games are available to watch back (and I assume then pause while watching etc though that's not explicitly mentioned that I saw)

Ok thats pretty handy so, with little kids running around its seriously tricky to sit down and watch a game in my gaff without interruptions a plenty.

I suppose at least the bulk of the Irish ones will b on RTE/TG4 anyway. Regardless, a feast of rugby coming our way, cant wait!

The combination of RTE and Premier Sports makes it almost impossible to watch these games (legally) abroad so that's why I'm perfectly happy to pay for it also.

It does mention that for the replay feature you have to wait until the match is finished before you can go back and watch from the start. That to me would imply that the live stream is just a live stream and you cannot pause or rewind.

Need to log onto the RTE player later and see does it have an option to pause a live stream.

I for one like to watch every game (in competitions Irish teams are in, no interest in Top14 and a passing interest in Premiership). So I absolutely need an ability to record games or watch them on demand.

With having skytv already regardless. It will cost me about €222 to get every game using this + BT Sport when needed (including the faff of getting bt in december, canceling it and getting it again in april) vs €306 for BT sport + Premier Sport for the 9 months the season runs.

And I get the added bonus of being able to watch the URC anywhere & can give my Dad access to watch the other games at his leisure aswell that we wouldn't be watching together.

Why would the URC be shooting themselves in the foot? It's all about exposure I'd say and now they have that through RTE/TG4, Premier Sports and now their own streaming service as well. The only thing they're missing is a slot on the Sky EPG haha!

€99 is the season price for the Irish games, which is equivalent of what you got with Eir last year for €30 a month. The weekend and single game packages will be handy for anybody going on holidays during the season and just availing of games on RTE/TG4

Their slot on the Sky EPG would be Premier Sports 1 Sky Ch 412, Premier Sports 2 Sky Ch 429 and possibly FreeSports Sky Ch 422.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Premier sports I would have thought It carries all the games even if they're being covered by other broadcasters too. It is a tenner a month or you can get it at £80 a year in deals like Black Friday and some bank holidays and whatever else.

• Advertisement

Just seems strange to me that they are offering a paid streaming service via their own platform while also awarding the rights to an established streamer who will offer the same service at a similar price, but with extra channels. URC also made their service available about two weeks after the competition (Now), who would have scooped up a few potential customers with the offer they had at the time for the 10 month /season package.

While its about coverage, its about money too, and this seems like a strange call to me in that regard.

All that said, I did watch an interview with a few of the business heads behind the URC, and they seem to know what they are doing. So what do I know!😁

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭hold my beer

I'm not too sure what market they are targeting either with their plans, considering the €99 plan is exactly what you get through RTE and TG4 for free anyway and their 1 game plan is the same price as a sports extra day pass which would also include that days T14, EP and Soccer matches... But at least it's an option

I'm quite surprised its available to people in Ireland, but I think the original biz plan was that it (and Pro14TV before it which they were working on) was for foreigners a la NFL gamepass, not local subscribers. So its not really competing with anything in that sense.

I suppose a big market for them would be the USA expats, specifically the Irish so maybe it's to let them watch it using their subscription when they come over on their holidays? Also if the Irish can sign up then they might be more likely to let their friends and family abroad know also... Those are about the only ways I think it would be useful here though

Another reason could simply be that RTE, TG4 and Premier sports all signed non-exclusive deals so why not offer it here in the hope of making a few quid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭hold my beer

I emailed them about pausing the live feed and they said

You can pause, rewind and fast forward both our live and on-demand streams. If you are watching a game live and need to step away you can pause it, come back to it and play it from the point at which you left it.

• Advertisement

More shooting Premier Sports in the foot than themselves to be honest. That said I didn’t think Premier would renew their rights and they only seem to have done so on the basis of a broader spread of host broadcasters so they aren’t on the hook for broadcasting the overwhelming majority of U.K. based games now. Their focus seems to be on Scotland now anyway.

Elsewhere, Mediaset have picked up the Italian rights, which is I think the first time the tournaments been on free to air terrestrial, or at least one of the big two FTA broadcasters (the other being public broadcaster RAI) there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

The broadcasting this year really is a step up so far, I'm buzzing for the season to start. Lions have named there traveling side today too, not long now folks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Ulster home ground capacity now permitted to be 15,000. I have not renewed my season ticket due to uncertainty re Covid. I hope this all doesn't end in tears as they say but I think the next few weeks will be crucial in terms of the pandemic.

Nice! Kind of wish I hadn't jumped on the now package, but anyway!

Premier Sports previously had to black out the games in ROI, I can't see them paying much for the ROI rights this year so I'd say they don't care

• Advertisement
Advertisement