Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPU problems.

Options
  • 13-09-2021 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭

So as a follow on from a recent thread I started. I bought a GTX 970 second hand from cex. Everything worked fine for a couple of days. Was working fine today as well. Started a game up about half an hour ago (Shadow of the Tomb Raider) was on the start screen, hit new game then the screen went to black and now it appears nothing displays anymore even after restart. Have tried other HDMI cables/displays etc. Haven't tried another GPU as I don't have another to check but the card itself is getting power. Fans are spinning. Monitor just powers down when it doesn't get an input. Have tried other devices and cables so it's not the monitor.

Anyone have any ideas before I bring it back to CEX looking for a refund or replacement.

Was just a bit weird. None of the parts of the PC were particularly warm to the touch and it had worked away on Witcher 3 just fine previously.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭coolguyrko

Ive also just noticed no matter what USB it's plugged into the keyboard doesn't work. No lights for caps etc. The mouse does light up (wired not wireless for both) but it's always been a bit weird sometimes it'll stay lit even if the computer isn't on.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

could be a power supply issue

PSU is brand new and was capable of running the GTX 980 I had previously. Everything inside seems to be getting power including all of the fans plugged into the MB so Im really not entirely sure if it's a GPU or MB issue. The fact the keyboard and mouse seem to not be powering on makes me thing its the MB

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,247 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

This is slightly speculative, but there's a common BIOS option about whether to completely power up USB devices on power, or leave them till later. It usually has a title of USB initialization, with options of full or partial. Have you tried changing that to full?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭Cordell

Pull the GPU out and see it the computer boots, it should boot without a GPU and you should be able to toggle the Caps Lock light.

• Advertisement

Don't know how to access BIOS with no display. No onboard GPU on MB so no display at all.

Just got around to trying this. The mouse still lights up but it sometimes used to light up when plugged in but the PC wasn't powered on so I'd take that with a pinch of salt. Keyboard doesn't light up in any USB port but have tried on other devices and that works. Get the feeling I'll need a new MB which is a pain. A) trying to find one that'll fit the case and B) reinstalling the CPU. Absolutely hate doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭Cordell

Needing a new MB is a pain, but needing a new GPU is a much bigger pain.

Advertisement