Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working From Home Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

What's that got to do with the legal obligation on employers to carry out risk assessment on your workstation? Are you trying to change the subject or distract away from your lack of knowledge of legislation in this area?

Not really sure that 'attitude' is a great reason for any kind of public policy. You might not like my position, but that doesn't change the facts, or the legal obligations on employers.

Are you calling BS on the legal obligation in Irish law that has been pointed out to you? Your history of dodgy employers does not change the facts on the legal obligation.

Most large employers disagree with you, in that they believe (as do their compliance, legal and HR departments) that training and self assessment are what is required, with an appropriate mechanism for employees to procure what they need to be able to certify adequacy with their WFH arrangement

That's not true. There IS absolute specific law requiring employers to carry out risk assessments of employee workstations;

" Chapter 5 of Part 2 (Regulations 70 to 73) and the related Schedule 4 to the Safety, Health and Welfare at Work (General Application) Regulations 2007 (S.I. No. 299 of 2007) relating to display screen equipment"

This is an explicit legal obligation on ALL employers, public and private, large and small, startups and PLCs.

• Advertisement

Nope, the employer is required by law to carry out the assessment. If they choose to get someone who is not trained in ergonomics to carry out the assessment (the employee), the employer still bears the risk and responsibility for that poor decision.

I'm wondering if your latest stream of silliness is based in some evidence you have that WFH absolves employers of their legal responsibilities or if you are just being silly again.

I hope its the former and we can discuss what actions you have taken to address this illegality but my gut says its going to be the latter

I've pretty much been saying the opposite - that WFH does NOT absolve employers of their legal responsibilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,677 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Found out today, we won't be going back in my place til jan-march and then it will likely be 2 or 3 days a week.

There are some people going in on a trial basis Oct to Dec (they volunteered).

Happy with that tbh.

I have heard other departments are going back 4 days a week for all staff (including my old one where I know lots of people)...seemingly lots of staff requesting transfers/mobility already!

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Nordner

That is great news for you mate! Happy days. We are meant to be back 1 day a week from early October then 3 days from October 22nd. DEPR are our parent department and the word is that they are completley opposed to the idea of 100% remote working.

Union rep reckons this is par for the course across whole Civil and Public Service, but it appears not judging by your own situation....

Any of the rest of you had your rto date pushed back or been offered full time remote work?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,677 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Ah cheers happy with that tbh, a day or two a week in office will be fine for me as things stand, team is scattered all around the place. The time saved on the commute is great. I think it will vary by department, I heard DPER 22nd October date alright but I thought I heard 4 days? Might have been 3 though.

I think it will be Q2 next year possibly before a lot of places in CS and PS have a real policy in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭limnam

What are you rabbiting on about.

A companies costs or savings on office space have no direct correlation to your salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

We are starting a hybrid model shortly. I'm not looking forward to returning to the office at all, but it'll be ok on a blended basis. I've spoken to my boss and he intends on everything being "back to normal" in the new year, i.e. all staff in the office full time, which is just insane to me. I've asked him if there'll be flexibility to continue hybrid working and he sort of implied he doesn't want to put the policy in place because not everyone is effective in WFH, even though he acknowledged I am.

I'm with this company over 5 years but I think I'll start looking for a new job if that's the case. Most of my work is not in any way collaborative, I don't think I could bear being full-time in the office having lived completely differently for the last 18 months. Is anyone else in the same position/feeling the same way?

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Young_gunner

I feel exactly the same way, i'd happily go to the office once per month, but that's about it. any more is unnecessary and a waste of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,453 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Get a grip sweetheart. I am telling you there has been no checks in the jobs I have been, as is the case for a few others in here as well, so calm your overreactive jets there. I already told you I have worked abroad, and that my current employer gives us allocated funds to get an ergonomic home office set up. But go ahead, call the desk police if you think you are doing some good 🤣

Who exactly will enforce this anyway? If someone has an issue with a desk they can flag it to an employer (in an office or WFH), legal obligation or not, it is up to the employer and employee to sort that out before it gets out of control.

You are making it sound like a matter of life and death.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I've been in 4/4 days per week since Ransomware, with absolutely no ability to WFH for the one day per week I was granted before. So its far from policy around the Civil/Health service. IT are saying "no".

Funnily enough, following our return to office briefing yesterday (confirming laying out the long term hybrid working arrangements) we were sent the requirements of what we had to do. A suite of mandatory training (covering home workplace, data privacy, cyber, Covid safety etc) and a self assessment and certification. And a reminder of how we request additional home office kit, and that we all have an annual IT allowance (which we are encouraged to use). We have done all these things periodically of course, as have been hybrid working for years, but the whole suite of training and certifications is being refreshed. This is for a sophisticated global data and technology company....not some firm with a cowboy legal and HR department.

And that is it. It works, course, because we are grown ups, unlike those that Mrs O'B and Mr Renko work with, who, it seems, are hired straight out of kindergarten

• Registered Users Posts: 11,453 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Excellent to hear. It says a lot when a company invest like that in its employees, and goes the distance to trust and help their employees.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Public and civil servants will just have to wait until the right to request remote work legislation comes in. Then be prepared to play hardball and have no fear about involving the WRC. Personally I have no idea of the process and have only heard of people involving the WRC in cases of unfair dismissal. Maybe we need a thread in the work/jobs forum.

I have a bad feeling that state employees who could WFH will get little union support on this - as the strong unions seem to be those who represent front line staff i.e. those who won't be able to WFH.

Front line workers could also be used as a reason to not grant WFH to anyone. This is the sort of management style that is widespread in the PS - we can't grant WFH to administrators as then the nurses union might kick up a stink (even though we haven't actually engaged with that union) so let's just choose the safe option with the least potential for hassle. We can't have managers having any hassle to deal with!

I think WFH has really shown up bad management in the PS. Many already knew it was bad with many managers weak, neurotic, set in their ways and insecure with some sadists and bullies out there too. HR Depts will always try to fob off issues to individual managers - no policy on WFH and left up to individual managers to decide. Result is favouritism or people being allowed/not allowed WFH because of who their manager is, not because of the work that they do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Some crazy stuff being written about return to office by some- "These incentives could be social perks or, given the popularity of getting a pet during the pandemic, employers could offer a dedicated day for bringing your pet to work"

Can you imagine turning up to an office full of cats and dogs, there would be uproar

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/commercial-property/bring-your-pet-to-work-day-workers-may-be-lured-back-to-the-office-with-incentives-1.4672580

• Advertisement

Immediate opportunity to WFH full time for many…..claim an allergy, get a doctors note and, hey presto, no more days in the office

Great idea, I'll bring my beloved pet who I've named Stinkbomb, isn't he just adorable!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

In a highly unionised sector like the PS, the unions and therefore employees are part of management. Managers in the PS cannot manage in the way managers in the private sector can, since any change in conditions or additional flexibility requires a lot of negotiations with staff. Granting WFH for some employees could result in issues elsewhere. Maybe there will be claims for an "allowance" for those who are not able to work from home? It is a valid concern in fairness and there is nothing in your terms and conditions which state you can work from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

The public sector might be a bit slower to embrace it, because in a lot of cases the buildings are owned, so there isn't the same incentive for management. Plus the public sector is very often slow to embrace change, it's far more bureaucratic than small business especially.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Well employer and employee in the PS are very resistant to change. It took the Croke Park agreement to get rid of the half an hour a week off to cash cheques (despite being paid electronically).

In case you didn't notice, the civil service was the first sector to jump to almost complete WFH, certainly for almost ALL back office staff, last March. No union complaints, no nurses complaints - just WFH across the board.

I've no idea why you're taking a swipe at me when we're basically singing from the same hymn sheet on all the things that need to provided to enable WFH.

For the record, the entire back office staff of the civil service has been doing full WFH for the past 18 months with zero allowance.

Simple solutions like 'if someone has a problem, they can flag it to their employer' don't work. That's why the H&S legislation doesn't say 'if someone has a problem they can flag it to their employer'. They may not realise they have a problem until the damage has been done. That's why risk assessments are necessary beforehand.

It's not so much life and death as all about the money. If we see a raft of back injury and neck injury claims in the courts in 5-10 years time, similar to the army deafness claims of old, you'll have a little smile as you remember back to that bloke who told you how that could have been avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,902 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Eh? Of course it works - because it is done. Mandatory training in how to set up an ergnomic workspace, and how to safeguard client data. Etc etc. To listen to some posters here, none of this is necessary, because everyone already knows how to sit in a chair.

The key thing is - it needs to be done. And there need to be meaningful alternatives for employees who cannot provide a business-appropriate workspace.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,902 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Comments like "Get a grip sweetheart" really tell us a lot about your maturity levels.

You say there are no health and safety checks. In another post, you've claimed your company has no physical presence here despite that being a legal requirement to operate as a limited-liability-company in this country. Frankly, that is pure fantasy-talk - except in a very small, new company that has not yet learned about the laws that it has to follow it if operates here.

TBH, I'm thinking that you have difficulty perceiving anything outside of your own very narrow box, and that your opinions about what your company does and does not have are probably a very long way wide of the mark And likely shared by your company's management.

Post edited by Mrs OBumble on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

In addition, the public sector I imagine would have bloated management structures. WTH really exposes that and shines a light on people who actually provide value and those that are fluff positons. Many of the people making decisions on WFH policies are most likely the same people that want a return to the office to take some heat off themselves!

• Advertisement

I'd say fear of being exposed as irrelevant/little value is more of a private sector thing. Public servants' main fears would be change and "looking stupid". Public service employment probably tends to select for certain traits which only get exaggerated as time goes on - staff turnover is low and people get more and more institutionalised, gradist and pension obsessed as time passes.

Some seem to bring a school mentality into the workplace, treat good staff like bold children and sh*t themselves if the "headmaster" comes near them. Meanwhile, a poor service is being provided to the customer.

I say this as someone who was a public service manager for many years.

Advertisement