Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post returning packages from outside the EU-See 1st post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Marlay

If by 'forms and declarations are present and correct' you mean a label on the package, that it seems is meaningless. If they don't have the electronic data they will send it back. They won't do anything with the label.

Actually for Japan, there is this information, https://www.post.japanpost.jp/int/information/2021/0811_01_en.html. Oddly they say 1st October. Pretty sure that should be 1st July.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,926 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I googled EAD Electronic Advance Data, and there are clear warnings on sites like Japan Post, Australia Post, Jersey Post and USPS that items not EAD compliant can be returned to sender. From a list of countries including Ireland. With no information to say that the addressee will be contacted about the procedure. The idea that Ireland is an outlier in the EU or internationally is not borne out by what is being published abroad.

What happens if EAD is not provided?

Items sent without EAD to countries that require it may be delayed in delivery, held by customs or returned to sender.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Sparkling Gamorreans

The anecdotal evidence here is that exporters are saying they're receiving no comparable treatment from any other EU country. No one can find any evidence on social media of a similar approach. You could infer from this that other postal services have elected to take a pragmatic approach. Pursuing this issue with alacrity in the fashion An Post are undertaking, which I've seen no reason to believe is not out of kilter with the rest of the EU, has created a logistics logjam, stacked up carbon footprint, caused misery for unknowing recipients and has potential reputational and business implications for Ireland. The new process either needs bedding in, clearer communication or is unworkable. I've attempted to explain it to exporters who cannot grasp it due to language barrier and lack of comparable treatment from other EU states. At the very least there needs to be a moratorium on summary package returns until this can be worked out. There's no reason it has to be approached in this way. I sincerely doubt piecemeal badly explained and uncommunicated parcel rejections will affect a global change in behaviors from an infinitesimal number of merchants as desired.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Seanachai

The US company I ordered from doesn't have a clue about what they need to fill in, they just forwarded me the invoice to give to customs.

The link in the post above mine from Japan Post 11 August does not single out Ireland.

Several cases have already occurred where some EU countries have returned items to senders because of missing or inaccurate EAD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭rf4c

Thanks to deezell for finding the info on Irish requirements.

If anyone knows, ( I know An Post does, but they don't do emails!)

"The customs form must be filled out electronically" - Is this the famous CN22/CN23 or something different and what is the rule on deciding which one?

Also is it a template the sender downloads and fills out?

Where do they get the electronic form from?

What email address in An Post / Customs do they send it to?

Jersey Post (Jersey is not part of the UK and was not in the EU) mentions that the UK has postponed taking part in EAD for incoming mail. And that means C22 and C23 will still suffice for UK incoming. Which suggests that they think C22 and C23 are not sufficient now for countries using EAD.

https://www.jerseypost.com/business/sending/ead/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

great to hear, as seems everything post brexit went to **** in terms of ordering from Ireland, costs increased, customs added on top on oeverything, more paperwork. So businesses and end customers incur extra charfes time and delays goverment gets more profit and everyone in between told sure deal with it. mad times when you shop nowadays online and in UK you can still get most items as before, yet half the choice at best if your odering to Ireland, once could say ireland probably did larger exit then uk, not to be political but thats the vibe if dealing with sending ordering or just trying to find who delivers to ireland without huge markup.

And not to be political but in my very rare online shopping, the best deal I got by far was from a company in Italy. It should be possible to find stuff in places like Germany instead of relying on the UK or especially Asia.

I'm not disputing the veracity of what you've posted but the broad anecdotal evidence from people experiencing this issue and engaging with exporters is that the exporters are only having this issue with An Post. That isn't to categorically state in no instances has another EU postal service rejected packages on this basis but there doesn't appear to be any obvious evidence of this being much of an issue elsewhere. If this is the case then why are An Post more draconian than EU peers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

Yes, the UK company I'm dealing with ships worldwide. Ireland is the only company that has returned a single parcel to them from hundreds sent to EU countries since July. It is very clear that An Post are dealing with this very differently than any other country.

Parcel Force also warns about parcels liable to be returned if not compliant. Again with no reference to the addressee being contacted, and not singling out Ireland as being different to other EU countries.

https://www.parcelforce.com/electronic-customs-data

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

The fact remains that so many sellers who ship daily across the EU are saying that only parcels sent to Ireland are being returned. Sure, other countries officially have the same policy - but is it actually being implemented in the blunt way of An Post anywhere else? The UK company I'm dealing with ships mainly to France and Spain according to themselves. There is no EU supplier of the item so they are the main seller to the EU for this item. They ship to other EU countries every day without any problems, except Ireland.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

They are saying that the sender has to send that. How do they do that, exactly? Sender can fill out CN22 or CN23, but how do they send electronically?

Another question along with the previous poster is this:

They show a barcoded label.

I had a packet with one of these labels returned to the UK for "Incorrect declaration".

I asked the seller about it and they said we're used to selling into Europe and know what we're doing! They sent me a copy of the label

but I've no way of reading it. Is there an app that would actually show me the info on it so I could check myself?

What is happening it the other EU countries with VAT collection? If the anecdotal reports are that nothing has changed since 01 July, then they must be also ignoring the €22 rule which was abolished then. This should have produced hundreds of thousands of extra parcels being charged VAT.

Part of the issue here as I understand it, and other posters please correct me if wrong, is that An Post inform Revenue Customs as to what classification category a parcel falls into so the appropriate VAT rate can be applied. I believe An Post provide this information based on the data provided by the exporter via the CN22 and TARIC. If this information is not supplied correctly they say they cannot supply the information needed to Revenue and therefore return the package to the exporter to be re-sent with the correct info. Perhaps in other EU countries the postal service takes a stab at providing their Revenue with the TARIC based on the description on the best efforts basis rather than summarily rejecting the package back to outside the EU?

If people in France etc are being charged VAT on a €5 piece of plastic from China, plus a hefty admin charge on top, I expect their social media would be aflame with indignation.

I wouldn't conflate the two issues here on this thread. My understanding is that the grievances which together constitute this overall issue are for the following scenarios:

• Return of parcels without a CN22 and/or a TARIC code.
    • Return of parcels correctly registered with CN22 and TARIC incorrectly stated to require a CN23.
    • Return of parcels with the correct CN22 and TARIC but stated to incorrect with no justification.
    • Parcels where VAT is collected but still rejected for one of the above reasons.

While you can dispute the suitability and crude implementation of rejections in the first scenario AP could try to stand over it via letter of the law. The root cause of the other completely erroneous rejections has yet to be established. It potentially speaks to cultural issues within An Post or a breakdown in training, communication and planning. They should be holding their hands up, apologising and making it stop as opposed to doubling down on it.

So it looks like in all the other EU countries Customs have said to the Post Office just let everything through regardless, and don't bother us with having to assess charges. In Ireland Customs have said to An Post, we have not got the staff to assess thousands of extra parcels, don't pass them on to us. And An Post have decided to send them back. That is what I am getting from the thread anyway.

• Advertisement

Or postal services are providing data to their version of Revenue on a best efforts basis? The TARIC code is just a common taxonomy. It can be looked up and worked out. In the scenario you outline I'm not sure why An Post, if given carte blanche to be laissez faire from Revenue, would take on the burden and reputational flack of sending packages back instead of letting things through?

With everything bar a concession for gifts being liable to VAT, I cannot see how every EU country is actually charging VAT from €1 value upwards. Otherwise the anecdotal and social media evidence would surely be pointing to much public unrest since the start of July. Especially with "The French".

At the very least there should be major complaints about delays, caused by the big increase in admin. Unless all these countries have recruited a lot of extra staff. The biggest source of complaint would probably be the Post Office fee on top of what might be a paltry VAT charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Nice for you to have such simple requirements. The earphones I bought on a Japanese auction site are made by a Japanese company and are not availble in the EU.

Perhaps. It has been on the agenda for a while though and you don't see a lot of Irish complaining about the fee. If the change is unenforceable then it shouldn't have been brought in in the first instance. As I say, we're diverging off the point at hand. Why are An Post the only ones taking this approach? On top of this why do they seem to be making so many CN22/CN23 errors? How many parcels have they rejected on the basis of CN22/23 & TARIC since 1 July. What is the cost and carbon footprint impact? Are the politicians aware and what is their view on the reputational issues for doing business with Ireland and from a climate change perspective? There's a lot of very unclear questions with very little by way of answers.

The item I bought is also made in Japan, but the home market version is not suitable for Europe. This was pre Brexit, and even then there was a significant saving by going outside the UK. This EU change coupled with Brexit should encourage buyers in Ireland to at least have a look at what is available online in the 26 other member states.

Again I'd emphasise this thread is not to discuss the pros and cons of the EU Vat changes but the manner in which An Post are acting and the impact they're having on recipients, businesses and the environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭deezell

My rejected packet had all the info required by the new regs, including taric. The value included delivery charges, not stated separately. If my supplier buys their labels from DHL in Australia, then they are electronically copied to the DHL international customs facility in Niederaua Germany. They are obviously happy, and I'm sure they electronically transmit the label details to AnPost. What I don't know is which bit Anpost/customs were unhappy with. Did they not like the code used? Or was it smudged on the label. But why would it matter if they already had the code electronically, they just match it up to the tracking no. If pre sending of customs data was such a good idea, there would be no need for labels, just a tracking code. Customs could read the data and advise the sender that they intend returning in advance, until they're happy. Why wait till the goods are in Ireland? None of this makes sense. What really irks me is that Niederaula is an EU customs clearance facility run by DHL. If it passes there is should just be posted by AnPost without any referral to Irish Customs. For further reading on this, https://www.paketda.de/ipz-niederaula.html

The bit about returns and black holes is depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I was thinking Parcel Motel could that be used? Nightline is gonna be UPS now so would it bypassing An Post? Be good for smaller bits maybe.

God I miss Parcel Wizard

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Why are DHL handing it to An Post anyway? Bad enough their road freight from Germany is given to An Post to deliver, but giving it to them for customs clearance? Not a service I'd pay for.

• Advertisement

I'm in touch with friends, relations and businesses in the UK all the time and with the exception of implementing the new rules, which Royal Mail have help enormously with their very helpful videos and website, nothing else has changed, except for Ireland.

Packages are flowing freely and being processed quickly by postal services all over Europe and it's very true that Ireland is the core talking point in a less than complimentary fashion.

I appreciate that we have other EU countries we can buy from and I do so regularly, particularly Germany. Amazon are very good but so also are "independent" sites who make it so easy for non German speakers/readers. However, some stuff MUST come from the UK. Many many years ago I did what many would see as despicable and stood to attention while I swore the oath of allegiance to HM The Queen (sorry I am a filthy Brit living amo🤣ng you"!) The point being that where else am I going to get my Squadron coffee mug! You get the point, I trade as much as possible in Ireland - support the companies who will give your kids and grandkids their jobs in the future. After that I support our EU. After that the UK and for UK specific items.

Apart from all this, it's a bit odd that no politician, no TV or Radio station, and no newspaper (except the half assed article in the IT) has reacted. I'm currently compiling a submission to the Dail Committee on Transport and Communications, as this forms an official record and come back at any time to bite people, and might even get someone's attention. Having said that, and lived with this since this thread was one page, I'm as near as certain that this is a planned agenda by persons unknown.

I've made this suggestion a few times and will continue in case it gets a reaction, but I there anyone out their with the legal qualifications to initiate action which would be funded by all of us victims. If we could do something sudden and drastic like take an injection halting the export of packages or something else that would get the full and undivided attention of An Post. I also feel a personalised campaign (not personal) citing David McRedmond as the unsuitable face of An Post and ultimately responsible for this damage, in a manner that would lead to his dismissal / resignation. Nothing more and nothing less. NO PERSONAL ATTACKS / NO INVADING HIS PRIVACY. In other words, not David McRedmond the man but David McRedmond the An Post CEO.

Additionally a massive unload of petitions/emails/letters/twitters on the politicians wouldn't go astray either, but whatever happens, finding the nature of the hidden agenda would serve us best!

Advertisement