Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murder at the Cottage | Sky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭drumm23

no - only rumours that he was a ladies man and strikingly handsome

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭tibruit

The car and the footprint don`t make him a suspect ffs. I have yet to see where the source for this blue Fiesta originated. If someone knows can they point it out please and I don`t mean Gemma O Doherty`s piece which was worthless and only highlighted Chinese whispers.

You are a ridiculous person. In what version of Ireland are domestic abusers judged 'quite harshly'? You only have to look at the stats to realise this is in no way true. They are everywhere and they face absolutely no consequences. People shrug, turn a blind eye, make excuses, blame the woman, etc.

The attitude to Ian Bailey is the exception. Personally I'd love to see all domestic abusers socially ostracised in the way Bailey has been but that's not the Ireland I live in.

In 2009 in Dingle, only down the road, locals literally queued up to shake the hand of a sexual assaulter in the courtroom in which he had just been convicted. There was CCTV of him carrying the unconscious woman across a carpark. This is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to such matters.

As for your insistence that the guards couldn't possibly have been corrupt, etc., again you only need to look down the road to the Kerry Babies case. To read about the corruption and brutality of the guards in that case is absolutely breathtaking. To say nothing of how it is a perfect example of how women were treated in Ireland in 80s and 90s Ireland. Perfectly exemplified by how Sophie Toscan du Plantier has become a footnote to her own murder, overshadowed by the Ian Bailey saga.

Again, something like the Kerry Babies is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to Gardai corruption. There are plenty more examples. To bleat and whine that it's impossible in this case is baffling to say the least.

I think people only want it to be Bailey because they want to 'outsmart' him somehow, but there's nothing to outsmart. Just a narcissistic wife-beater with an alcohol problem. Stupid like a fox, in other words.

Yes, Bailey has been responsible for inserting himself into the case in a very repulsive manner but the ultimate responsibility lies with the guards who allowed this to become the Bailey Show.

Anyway Moonunit, yes there has been speculation on this thread, some of it pretty out there, but for the most part I see people applying their intelligence and reasoning skills to many overlapping contexts and possible scenarios in order to tease out what Sophie's life was like, what her husband's life was like, what Mizen Head in 1996 was like etc. and how the pieces of the puzzle could possibly fit together.

Everyone is well aware that this is only speculation and that we have no way of knowing what really happened that night. And yet you dismiss each and every one of these possible scenarios because you think you're smarter than Ian Bailey. Which honestly isn't a remarkable accomplishment. But you also think you're smarter than every person here. But most people here are well aware that they don't know a lot more than they do know, which is more than can be said about you. Who's clever now?

You lack the ability to account for context and nothing you say has any substance to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Seriously, MoonUnit75 is more au fait with the facts than Jim Sheridan. I've heard it all now, the guy has been working on this for years, created a 5 part documentary on it, has interviewed numerous people including Bailey, Dwyer amongst amongst many many others, has studied all the relevant material in the case. Has been nominated for 6 academy awards in his life, is a legend of Irish cinema and a very well respected individual internationally. And you're trying to tell me some poster on boards who is unable to consider any other possible theory and keeps posting the same rubbish week in week out in a bid to sabotage the thread is "more au fait with the facts" than him. Jesus wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

On average over €5m in compensation is paid every year for wrongful arrest an malicious prosecution by gardai. Effectively these are cases (over 100 a year on average) where gardai tell lies, manipulate evidence and fabricate stories against innocent people and are found out.

So whilst I'd never say a particular garda told lies unless I had proof, it is not exactly unheard of and some will tell blatant lies in a court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭mamboozle

The only people that would be able to shed light on what really happened are the Guards who were part of the original investigation and who had something to do with removing pages from a log book in Bantry station where the idea of Ian Bailey becoming a suspect was discussed. There might have been a Guard involved in the murder but the determined framing of IB indicates there were going to be serious repercussions for more than one Guard. Remember this case was central to a Garda Commissioner having to resign.

A DPP rubbished the investigation and spoke about an improper approach from senior Guards to get Bailey prosecuted. The whole thing stinks but still people persist with absurd theories around Ian Bailey.

Let's not forget that Sheridan had all the garda and French files.

Do you moonie????

Oh lordy. You lost me when you started defending Foster.

The man's a liar and completely misquoted IB in order to get the "confession" he so desperately wants for his book. That was the end of the conversation, he was talking to the cameraman and Sheridan is telling the truth.

You really will do anything to defend your narrative, and it's getting really tiresome.

God, over 100 people every year that have to deal with malicious prosecution by Gards, thats a crazy high number for a country of this size. I wonder are these lying, corrupt gards ever held to account for this, destroying innocent peoples lives to probably try to further their own careers. Disgraceful. No doubt they are rarely if ever at all held to account for this behavior, no wonder they felt like they could do what they wanted with this case. And no doubt, the most likely suspect in this case is a Gard.

There are some people who have been all over this case for 25 years. I have yet to see MoonUnit make a contribution that is substantially factually incorrect. There are a bunch of amateur detectives here who are poorly informed and are continually proposing theories that cannot be evidentially supported. A new generation of them come along every week or so. Hence the circular nature of the thread. You are one of those. You said a week ago that Gemma`s blue Fiesta was corroborated elsewhere. I asked you where and you dodged the question. I don`t have any problem with speculation and theorizing. But then Moonunit comes along and confronts ye with the facts, some of ye throw the rattle out of the pram with personalized attacks that verge on bullying.

• Advertisement

Oh really, so you and Moonunit have been on this case for 25 years now is it?? The only people who were involved in this case 25 years ago were the gards and they completely botched it(maybe on porpose) & then engaged in serious corruption to paint an innocent man as a murderer. High level corruption and immoral. Not the kind of people you want investigating a case, any case for that matter.

He/she has not reported any facts, they have relied on such things such as the GSOC report and garda statements which were used in civil trials. These were found to be outright lies, fabricated & highly suspicious in a number of circumstances. The GSOC report needed the co-operation of the gards which many of them refused, the chief witness in the case turned around and said the gards intimidated her into making the false statement about Bailey. These are the FACTS of the case as you like to put it and Bailey only didn't win his civil trial against the state because of the statute of limitations

Amateur detectives?? what are you & Moonunit, except a pair of clowns, everyone on this thread is an amateur detective because no body really knows what happened.

I dont dodge any questions, I just dont engage with posters like yourself who have a clear agenda. I wouldn't be surprised if you're another account Moonunit75 has set up or another gard. Laughable really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

It's not even what Nick said in the book. Jim Sheridan is misrepresenting what it says in the book. According to Jim's retelling of the story, Ian 'confessed' to the cameraman and Nick quotes him saying 'I did it', as though he is reporting that Ian confessed to doing it.

What it actually says in the book is that Ian was 'floating the idea, with the camera off, that he could say to the French that yes, he did it, he killed Sophie, but it was a crime of passion', in the context of explaining to the cameraman that people get off for murder if it is seen as a crime of passion. In other words, the conversation was IB wondering if he claimed to have committed the murder but as a crime of passion, maybe he would be found not guilty under an historical law. Both IB and his legal team predicted he would be found guilty regardless, so it would be a tactical outmanoeuvre. That's not IB confessing, it's IB thinking it might work out better for him if he went along with the prosecution but got himself off on a quirk of French law.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭shinzon

I watched the Ian bailey interview and I saw what you always see with him and any interviews he does, lets take the domestic abuse issue, he said that it was to his eternal shame yet in the same breath he said we were both drinking, he never takes full responsibility for any of his actions its always someone else that makes him do these things. He reiterated his dark humour mantra a la I did it I did it or I went up there and smashed her skull in with a rock or I did it to resurrect my career I needed a story. Theres nothing else he can add to the case or his own story at this stage.

And all I kept thinking is why doesnt he stop, and by that I mean go back to West Cork live the remainder of his life as best he can, write his autobiography if he wants to sell his books of poetry and let history quietly pass him by. He is a free man in Ireland there is no case against him and its highly unlikely the DPP will ever prosecute, hes said numerous times hell never go to France to stand trial so thats not an option.

So unless there is some new evidence that comes to light I really think Ian Baileys story is done as there is nothing more he can add and unfortunately I believe Sophie Toscan Du Plantiers murder will remain in the realm of speculation and will truly never be solved

Shin

Where are the figures from? There's a report on it online http://justice.ie/en/JELR/Pages/Payments_legal_actions_taken_against_Garda%20Siochana

Between 2009-2018 there's an average of 3 court awards per year for legal actions against the gardai and an average of maybe 35 settlements. That covers practically everything, wrongful arrest, personal injury, damaging property, unlawful detention and legal actions taken by the gardai themselves.

Ffs the main witness is as mad as a box of frogs. If you don`t dodge questions, can you please tell us the origin of Gemma`s Fiesta which you said was corroborated elsewhere. I can assure you I am not a clown, I don`t know MoonUnit from Adam and I have no association with the Gardaí.

Yah, mad as a box of frogs yet the gards tried multiple times to use her as their chief witness in their attempt to falsely accuse bailey of the murder.

Tbh, I dont give a **** what you or Moonunit think ye are, I wouldnt believe a word out of either of your mouths. Just stay clear of my posts because I have no interest in dealing with ye.

I don't know what circles people here move in but a wife beater around here is considered a coward and a monster. Do you really think people are clapping men on the back and asking 'didayegiver a few slaps before ye came out again? Some shiner on her last week, fair play, I'm buying this round'. Maybe in 1915.

Yes, the gardai have been corrupt in several well known cases, up in Donegal it seems to have been like the wild west and in the Fr. Molloy case you have the very, very likely corrupt statements by gardai that his watch was working while in evidence. In this case, though, the Bandon Tapes paint a picture of gardai very much committed to the idea that he was genuinely responsible. I think there's zero evidence the gardai tried to frame him knowing he was innocent, there was some shady stuff going on but it seems to have come from the frustration in having practically nothing in the crime scene forensics to identify a particular person.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭Deeec

I agree with your comments re domestic violence. Its the lowest of the low - but this still doesnt make IB a murderer. Yes he was capable of it but no credible evidence backing up this theory that he done it has been found.

You're quite right about the McBrearty, Mary Boyle and Fr Molloy cases that the gardai dealings were corrupt. But I dont see how you can applaud the Gardai involved in the STDP murder case and say that they are squeaky clean. I think most rational intelligent people who have looked into this case would disagree with you on this bigtime.

Also please please dont reply to me with what GSOC found. I couldnt care less about GSOC - its like asking me to review and give an opinion of myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭DivilsAdvocate

But that's clearly not what Ian says on the tape? You're literally contradicting yourself. You're complaining Sheridan is misrepresenting Nick Foster while you yourself are misrepresenting Bailey.

You're quoting Jim Sheridan saying Nick Foster said he did it followed by quotes where Nick Foster says Bailey said he did it.

Clearly what Bailey says on the tape is not what Foster reported him as saying, I don't see how you can even make the argument and you're actually letting yourself down defending it. It's facts.

You are twisting MoonUnits words. In the post you quoted he/she acknowledged there were shady goings on in the investigation. No one has said the investigation was squeaky clean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭CowgirlBoots

The only place I've seen info originate on the blue fiesta is from IB in the Sheridan doc. Can't remember the episode but it's where he's digging out the plastic containers full of files and he says he found the blue fiesta info in the Garda files. He gained access to these files during the discovery phase of the French trial. So apparently it's Bailey who's claiming there was a blue fiesta.

There's three conversations. Jim had a recording of one.

1. There's the conversation IB had with the cameraman.
    2. There's the conversation the cameraman had with Donal MacIntyre. Nick did not hear that conversation, he only heard Donal saying 'No! Say that again.. So Ian's wondering what would happen if he pleads guilty to a crime of passion?'.
    3. There's the conversation after the phone call (conversation 2) that Donal then had with Nick and whoever else was present.

The section in Nick's book is based on conversation number 3 and what he overheard in conversation 2. Jim played what he says was the entirety of conversation number 1. We don't know that that was the entirety of the conversation, it cuts off during an interruption while they are discussing it. So you can't say Nick lied about conversation 1 when he is discussing what he learned from conversation number 3. There are no recordings of conversations 2 and 3.

I literally just gave you an example of people lining up to shake the hand of a convicted sexual assaulter in 2009. Not 1915. And just down the road from Schull.

Domestic violence is rife in Ireland and no one seems to care much. 1 in 4 women in Ireland who have been in a relationship have been abused by a current or former partner according to Women's Aid. You'd think a lot more men would be ostracised unless there was a general apathy towards domestic abuse? Try talking to a woman who's gone to the guards with a complaint of domestic abuse and find out how far she got.

Anyway I expected you to engage with my points in bad faith so whatever. There is simply no point in trying to argue with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭DivilsAdvocate

But then you're basically accusing Jim Sheridan of lying. He seems like a man who clearly has no motive to lie about it? He's actually clearly pissed off that Foster lied about it. He makes a remark like "This is a ongoing murder investigation, you can't just **** write that" and "Somethings are so important that they need to be called out".

I really don't see any reason why Sheridan would lie about that, it's farfetched to say the least. Foster let himself down and needed to rush to a conclusion so he could push his book out to coincide with the documentary releases and the rise in popularity of the case. I've heard him talk on Newstalk, the man is clearly biased against Bailey and is desperate for him to be charged. I get the feeling it's moreso so he can be proven right rather than wanting justice for Sophie.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Polly701

I seem to remember from the podcast that they interviewed the man (Martin O'Sullivan) who was overtaken by the blue Ford fiesta? He made a statement to the Guards at the time because of where and when it happened. The Guards didn't really follow up on it at the time.

I'm not sure an opportunistic rape in the street is as directly comparable to repeated domestic violence against a wife or partner as you seem to think. They are very different crimes. Do you have any better examples that actually comparable?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭oceanman

some shady stuff going on.......are you having a laugh? it stank to the high heavens.

Of course they didnt and id be asking, why? amongst a lot of other whys with regard to this case. I doubt they even kept his statement, cant be having anything around that possibly implicates one of their own now can we

Both Nick and Jim could be telling the truth. Nick says the conversation occurred after IB and the cameraman had finished recording and was basing his account on 1. what he overheard and 2. what appears to have been said after the phone call with the cameraman.

Jim suggests the entirety of the conversation was recorded. It's hard to be certain because the clip he plays cuts off at a point where the conversation was interrupted. For Nick to be lying he would have to have known exactly what was said from start to finish about the French laws on crimes of passion during the original conversation. He wrote about what he heard second hand. He even says a couple of paragraphs later 'could Bailey be about to admit to the killing in a way that stood up to scrutiny?' while Jim claims Nick wrote that IB had already 'confessed' to the cameraman before then.

• Advertisement

I don't think they mentioned it much at all, maybe in passing? I'd be interested in finding out when that was, which episode. No other mainstream source talks about this alleged statement or blue fiesta.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement