Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Littleredcar

Just gone sale agreed , have deeds of house no mortgage to be settled how long would it be to get to sold

• Registered Users Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭Shelga

I’m in this position at the moment, from the other side. I’m a first time buyer and have gone sale agreed on an apartment- have been waiting for contracts for 4 months now.

The only advice I would give is to be as upfront as possible from the beginning about exactly what “waiting” means. I may have thought twice if I had realised that “waiting” means my vendor won’t even exchange contracts, much less sign them, until she finds another place. It’s a constant source of anxiety and stress for me, and I should have been more clear from my side too about what my expectations were. But hey, I’m new to this!

It’s just frustrating when every bit of communication is via the agent. I’m sure you’ll have no problem finding someone to buy your house in this market, but just be really clear about how long it might take you to find somewhere else. It’s just an absolutely appalling market out there right now, for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

At least you have the house you want, and hopefully all it is is a bit of time and patience, hopefully it all goes smoothly and works out for u

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Looking for a bit of advice.

Never thought I’d be a home owner. Single 39yo. Left my last job just under 3 years ago. Money was dreadful. Got a small bit of a redundancy to help me kick start a deposit.

New job better paid and load of overtime. So i saved up enough for a deposit and then some as the banks dont take all overtime into consideration. So paying about 30% up front.

Went to a broker in April to see how much i could borrow. Got approved in principle. But that was it despite asking on a regular enough basis will the firm offer be coming so i can start looking.

Broker said they are just really busy but everything is fine and you can start looking now.

Found an apartment went sale agreed last Monday told the broker paid the booking deposit arranged a solicitor the works.

Last Thursday i got an email from the broker to say the bank were looking to ask 2 questions.

One was why i earned so much in the last 8 weeks of 2018 ( redundancy) and the other was money going to an account. Was to current landlady for bills. All grand provided pay slip for the redundancy.

So on Friday followed up with the broker to ask if everything was ok. He replied that it “should” be and will speak very soon.

Nothing since.

Anyone any advice of what to do next. The should word has be a bit worried. Absolutely love the apartment which is currently vacant and ready to be moved in to recently renovated. Just needs beds ect but good to go.

Push your broker daily but the chances are that this is the bank. In my experience, once they have asked any questions (which seem reasonable in this case) then you’re back to the back of the processing queue.

• Advertisement

yeah im 99% sure its the bank. Should i still get on to the broker.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭niniboots

It's most probably with underwriters & they forensically check everything. My car was stolen & I got a check settlement from insurance and they asked for evidence. It sounds like both questions can be answered reasonably. We are waiting on loan offer just have one draw down clause attached for a new pay slip on increased salary. Just as an FYI, its taking finance Ireland 2 to 3 weeks and most banks have delays.

I would contact broker to check where it is in processing time. It's a stressful process

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Jmc25

Has anyone else looking noticed that the difference in asking/sale agreed prices between equivalent properties where one is in relatively ok condition and the other is in absolute bits is basically zero?

The really nice ones will go for more but the absolute rotters and the kinda ok ones go for nearly the exact same price, despite the former needing a seemingly unquantifiable investment in modernisation etc.

Thanks. Just emailed the Broker for an update.

They are using Finance Ireland too.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Ilongga

When you say equivalent properties are they in same estate or area? Where I live one house went for 30k more even though it needs a lot of modernisation works but it has a massive garden compared to same house on the street in turn key condition with extension but the extension took half of the garden. So maybe some people is willing to pay a premium for a massive garden.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,036 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

We recently went from Approval In Principal to Full Loan Offer, took nearly 3 weeks from submitting the documents to getting the pack in the post, these things take take time. It will be another month or 2 for the vendors solicitors to send over contract to your solicitor so just kick back and watch some netflix lol

Got Approved in Principle in June. Says the expiry date on that is 21/9.

I don’t really mind how long it takes. I was one to them once a week while i was approved in principle to make it a more concrete offer and was told everything will be fine and when i got Sale approved then they start asking the questions. So just want to make sure alls okay. I’m not in any great rush thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭LBF21

AIB only providing 6 months approval now is a right pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

yeah, can see that it won't matter as much for some cases; in my estate there was an ok house (had tenants before) that got a very good price over asking early in the summer; think some of the ones that followed were superior (as they were owner occupied), and I think there is no way they could have got a much better price as second hand Semi-D's (knowing how much newly built Semi-D's are in the area now).

lot depends on the buyer profile too, unless you got lucky with a cash buyer ...

• Registered Users Posts: 45 CAMAC

Is there a norm for what time in the day you’ll get the keys from the EA when buying 2nd hand? We were hoping to get a good run at moving on this day and the following but I haven’t a clue yet whether we might get keys first thing or more like end of day… it’s about 2 weeks out now

• Registered Users Posts: 993 ✭✭✭FrankN1

Anyone know how long PTSB take to deposit Cashback after drawdown?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Iris11111

• Registered Users Posts: 9,036 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

They're all only providing that, AIB started a trend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Jafin

No norm, but you should get them the day of closing. For me on the day all the funds were transferred my solicitor rang me at 3:50pm to say everything was done and for me to get on to the estate agent to arrange collecting the keys. I did that, and they said they'd have to check with the vendor's solicitor to make sure all was good. They rang me back at 4:35pm saying I could come collect the keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

I have seen some absolute wrecks selling for strong money, not sure if its people who don't really understand how expensive and time consuming it is to refurbish a house these days or people with large amounts of cash who don't care how much it costs and would prefer to start from scratch.

Me personally I think a lot of people assume the house 50k below others in the area is a bargain fixer upper like on TV until they are 80-100k in on refurb costs, so many potential unknowns that can spiral into tens of thousands!

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Jmc25

Could be people with the skills or family/friends who can do the work themselves and keep the price down as well.

I'm think/fear it's more likely to be people who are slightly desperate/clueless.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,219 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Was helping my brother work out valuation for our late Da's house in late 2019 and saw one nearby similar in all regard but good bit bigger house. 3 bed semi, 1 bath, good sized (110 sq m if memory serves), BER D2 obviously an elderly person had lived there - work needed. House was listed for €150,000. Then it was taken off the market, tidied up (mainly emptied) and put back up for €160k in May 2020. It's on the PPR as sold in Dec for 165k. But, I have since seen it listed as a pension investment property priced at 298k.

Now, they did gut it and seem to have done a great job. BER is B1. But I do wonder how much it cost to do the work as now it's priced higher than any other property in the development.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭SimonMaher

Exact same position here and the threads on Boards have been very useful. Our house went on the market on Tuesday and we have viewings on it tomorrow and Saturday. Looks like the sale bit will be easy but the finding the new house bit will be infinitely more stressful! One house we were looking at (in Dublin 24) for 385k went sale agreed at 450k this week. Crazy times.

Simon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭kev_s88

we've been waiting months and months for a specific new build estate in Swords to be ready for viewing. finally got the email yesterday from the estate agents that viewings are this Friday and Saturday. I replied to the email within 4 minutes of receiving it to book an appointment for viewing. They got back to me today to say all appointments were allocated and that we didn't get one.

to say we're devastated is an understatement. maybe i'm being a bit naive in thinking that we'd get a viewing having replied so quickly. no idea how long we'll be waiting now for the next batch of viewings to come along

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Summer2020

You’ll find friends of the estate agent/developer all had a guaranteed viewing spot before those emails went out.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 CAMAC

Cheers! That’s good to know, was thinking lunchtime at the latest, so I guess now won’t be renting any van that day anyway to be safe!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Just as an example on the stupid high prices of getting work done.

I got a quote a couple of months ago the paint a 3 bed bungalow.

Inside and outside.

The average of the quotes were €3500 for the outside and €4000 for the inside. Lowest by a long way was €2500 outside and €3000 inside and i got a cowboy vibe off him.

So I went down to woodies weeend before last to stock up and got my overalls on.

In 2 days I had the outside done with 2 coats.

Took me 5 days (starting after my normal job and finishing around midnight) to do all the walls in the rooms, windows and ceilings, (3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, Kitchen, Living room, utility room). Would have took less time if i had someone to help me shift around furniture. Probably cost me a couple about €500 in paint and materials, though i havent added it all up yet.

Then having moved all the furniture I saw all the dirt and dust and decided it needs a deep clean after getting all that done, so decided i was going to scrub the floors, carpets cabinets etc. But that was a step too far. Getting it deep cleaned for €200 instead.

But thats somewhere around €5000+ in my pocket this week that wouldnt have been had i not done it myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Lord Spence

Yeah seems to me is that we will have to put our house up for sale first and then look, scary times. I suppose the only thing is that you just dont sign contracts on your sale until your other new house is secured, could roll on for months but ho hey better to be patient and get the right house I suppose

Advertisement