Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mayo GAA Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Blackjack

I was thinking about this one - I didn't get to see the other games you mention. The one I've linked is from 2017 right enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,248 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

I haven`t been on this thread for some time for various reasons and after the Kerry v Tyrone semi I was tempted to give my thoughts but refrained as I didn`t not want to be looked upon as some sort of Tyrone fifth columnist trying to kill the buzz of the great victory over Dublin. Even though being from Donegal should automatically rule me out as a Tyrone fifth columnist. My thoughts then were the team ye wanted in the final was Kerry not Tyrone. Kerry`s backs are poor enough. They are basically one on one and as such I would have rated your forwards in that sense to go to town on them.Mayo forwards v Tyrone backs was always going to be a different scenario.

But that is history at this stage. What really shocked me was how ill-prepared Mayo were for what Tyrone were going to bring. Had anyone even looked at Tyrone`s games in Ulster or the Kerry game even. Tyrone didn`t bring any new tactical game. They played the game they have been playing all year. Even down to their second half substitutes. Somebody said here early that Mayo forwards played the correct game, don`t shoot from outside the 45 and don`t shoot from the wings. That is what exactly what Tyrone want you to do. Underestimating their midfield was also a very bad mistake. Their midfield has been solid all year and anything that breaks their half-back line are on it like wolves. Everybody and their mother knew that McShane was coming on and Tyrone have always had a tactic of getting the new man in on the ball as soon as possible to fell his way into the game. McShane comes in and he is left one on one at the edge of the square. Like 2012 it was assisted suicide. There are a few other examples, but tbh it`s too depressing to get into at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,842 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I've addressed this earlier - but you simply cannot apply this "Culture" nonsense to a sporting group - for many different reasons.

Mayo have been one of the highest performing groups in this country in the past decade - to suggest otherwise is just pure nonsense. You don't get to as many AI finals as we have withouth a high perfomance attitude.

Again, we are all trying to scramble for reasons that we didnt win again - reasons that can be addressed in a real manner, not some "culture" nonsense.

Are you gonna blame "culture" if this Tyrone team dont win next year or if Dublin return?

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Fanofconnacht

Can you expand on this and detail the "many different reasons"

You really don't understand the concept of organisational culture if you think it means that you win every year if you have a winning culture. Even the All Blacks who many believe have one of the best sporting organisational cultures of any team globally don't win every game or every world cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Wouldn't have been a penalty as O'Connor wouldn't have miss hit the free. Also if Cillian had played O’Donoghue wouldn't have scored 0-8 as he wouldn't be the main free taker.

2013 AI final was a 1 point defeat for Mayo . I seen a lot of simliartites on Saturday with very similar team performances by Dublin and Tyrone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,527 ✭✭✭tobefrank321

You obviously don't understand what culture is and how it links to defects in a team, squad or management.

I don't even see any point explaining it you.

Don't worry you're not alone. All those centrally involved in Mayo football don't understand it either and they probably couldn't spell high performance. I always got the feeling with the Mayo County Board that reaching the final was good enough.

And the culture starts with the County Board because they have a big say in how things are run.

While Tyrone have their centre of excellence up and running and already producing great results at all levels, Mayo is still at the planning stage.

Mayo GAA asked to provide answers about planned centre of excellence | Connaught Telegraph (con-telegraph.ie)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 223 ✭✭2018na

They would beat Tyrone by 10 points pulling up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭dunnerc

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,426 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

As a Dub, I can safely say that this is just silly. As much as it pains me to say it, we'd have taken a hammering from Tyrone, and probably from Kerry too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭dunnerc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭ethical

Its time to lay off the players.They had to get up and go to work on Monday.Some "fans" reckon they can throw all sorts of sh1t at a player when he does not perform to his usual standards.If this same player was receiving 250,000 per week as in other PROFESSIONAL codes perhaps then it would be ok to point out his short-comings (but at the same time to keep it clean and not personalise it).It should not be done to lads that did their best and unfortunately their best was not good enough on the day.We all know the question is already being asked of who will Mayo play in next years final....beacuse we will be there or thereabout again.The Mayo team (the players that is) and the fans have contributed more finance to the GAA economy in the last 10 years than all other counties added together (except for perhaps Dublin,due to the population and jersey sales etc.).There are an awful lot of "hangers on" making money out of the "success" of the team,and it is a success,eventhough we did not get over the line yet.

Unfortunately the GAA still has the biscuit tin mentality and why change,it has served many "administrators" well,they have rasied families on it,forgone criticism when things go wrong (as is the case now!),how many of them have come out in the past few days and stood up for the players that have been ostracised? They sit back and let the players take the flak.Yes,we all know there is the "some are more equal than others" mentality in the GAA,(thats no different to other walks of life really!),should it happen,no it shouldnt,but it does.It happens in the squad as well but do not point it out or you will be torn to shreds by ignorant people.The cash cow is delivering to the same group of sh1ts over a life time and its not going to change anytime soon....those sh1ts that have been on County Boards for a life time (and I'm not talking 5 yrs here),everyone knows who they are ,they dine off the "fatted calf" every year and then go hiding when the lads out on the field have an off day.Those people are spineless leeches and at this stage have made a good cash living at the expense of the poor players.Its past time they stood down...and please do not reply with the same old line of "why dont clubs put officers forward ,blah,blah.blah and those sh1ts would not be around.........................

I agree with a lot of what you are saying. The only thing is I am not sure you appreciate the money that can be made from social media which is dependent on the number of followers you have. So while players may not be making €250k a week there are some who could be making €2k a week by virtue of being a player with a high profile \ large number of followers. If you put yourself out there as a media star you have to accept both the good and the bad, whether you are Cristian Ronaldo, one of the Kardashians, or a Mayo player.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭eastie17

Spot on, said the same myself watching the semis, but having said that it doesn't look like you can trace a form line for a James Horan team from a season before the final and the final itself. 3 times we've had this now, he clearly hasn't changed since the first coming and wont at this stage.

Teams would generally be at the peak of fitness on winning their provincial championship. From that on training is all about tactics. What I found most disappointing is that this year with no quarter finals, or especially the Super 8`s, tactically the road ahead was a much clearer picture. What was even more disappointing was I didn`t see anything new from Tyrone in the final and not only did Mayo not bring anything new, they did not even upset the tactical plan Tyrone had been using throughout this championship.

I see there has been a fair bit of comment on some players doing well commercially. I would not begrudge amateur players that literally put their lives on hold to play for their counties a red cent, but from the old cliche of there being no I in team, a pooled system would probably be more equitable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭muddle84

I completely disagree on the pooling of commercial income. I'm going to use AOS as an example here as he is the biggest brand on the Mayo team at the moment. Why should he share his earnings with the likes of Colm Boyle who does little to no social media work or public endorsements. At the end of the day AOS is getting all those interviews and endorsements because of the amount of followers he has on instagram or the likes. He doesn't have that many followers solely because of what he does or doesn't do on the pitch, its because of how active he is on the platform which takes time and effort!

My fault for not perhaps phrasing it properly.

The player that commercial bodies are prepared to pay for endorsememts and appearances would get a greater share of the pot than team-mates as he/she would be putting in the work, but at the same time they didn`t catch the eye of commercial bodies because they are athletes in a single decipline. They would have caught the eye because they were part of a team that was getting wide media coverage. Pooling of resources recognises that and can make life much easier for management in that it would lessen any possible disgruntlement within a team.

There have been some outstanding players for teams that have not had the kind of results that have resulted in wide-spread media coverage, and I cannot reacall any of those players getting any great commercial interest. To use another old cliche, when it comes to team sports no man is an island, and in fairness, especially in GAA, when interviewed star players a very good at pointing that out, crediting others on the team for their contribution for a good result Unfortunately, and again, sorry for another cliche, but when it comes to money the phrase talk is cheap can easily lead to discord.

No i think you phrased it well enough, I get your point. The profile is there from the team I agree, if AOS was a postman he wouldn't have the opportunity to build his brand! But at the same time, Emilyn Mulligan doesn't have nearly 6k twitter followers for his teams playing exploits so why should he have to share out earnings with his team mates when its him that puts in the effort? Maybe I'm just a greedy so and so and that's why i think that way! :)

The criticism of the players has been fair and proportionate, leaving aside anything related to commercial activities, which most intercounty players are involved in. Only a relatively small number of players from a few counties will ever win an AI. Does that mean every other player shouldn't avail of commercial activities?

On the question of player criticism, under performing players were rightly criticized. There's a long running trend with Mayo of some players showing up on AI final day and not trying a leg or being half hearted. If they can't be bothered trying on AI final day, they shouldn't be wasting everyone's time.

Its disappointing to see some players give it their all in finals, while others just go through the motions. Criticism of the latter players is justified, whether they are postmen or whatever.

If I was lucky enough to be in the position I would in all likelihood be a greedy so and so myself :), but if it came to being a member of a team and seeing a small group enjoying the commercial benefits, I would most likely be a disgruntled so and so as well as I would see myself as putting as much effort in training and performing that has got us the commercial interest as those that are reaping the rewards.

As I said, as a supporter I do not begrudge amateur GAA players a single red cent they make. Don`t get me wrong I`m not even suggesting or implying it may be a problem within the Mayo squad, but with a team that is at the level where the margins between winning or losing the ultimate prize are so fine, it is something if I was the manager, I would be very wary off.

I don't think its a problem. A lot of great players had significant commercial activities, eg Bernard Brogan and Cillian O'Connor as well as countless others.

The commercial activities impacting players is a red herring invented by Joe Brolly. Its jealousy I'd say.

A lot of people Brolly included make a sh*tload of money off the back of the GAA and the players efforts and then they begrudge the players making a few quid. Its disgraceful and needs to be called out.

• Advertisement

I think a lot of the criticism has been way over the top, to be honest. There's no issue with pointing out where certain things have not met expectation. However a lot of what has been said - particularly by one columnist has been very personal and way over the top.

Then you have the dregs of social media and that is just out of control altogether.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

A player struggling to get themselves into a game is not the same as not trying. I don't think I've ever seen a Mayo player not try in any match never mind a final. It's too much committment and sacrafice in their lives not to try.

Presume you mean Brolly and yes he goes over the top and personalises it. I don't agree with that approach.

If he stuck to a general point about culture without picking out names that would have been better. And when he brings up the commercial activities stuff, its just nonsense.

Like all controversial pundits he makes the odd good point but then ruins it with some over the top crap.

The ball drops on front of you and you make a lazy attempt at striking it. Or you are within shooting range and hit it well short, etc etc. There was numerous examples of players just not making that extra effort to win an AI. Contrast it with winning teams like Tyrone who put their bodies on the line. And before someone brings up particular Mayo players, I've already said that at least half the team give it their all, so its a pity when 3 or 4 players don't. You can't win AIs carrying the number of passengers Mayo have in some of their finals. And their best finals were the ones where there was no passengers, eg 2016 (first game) and 2017. And as for player struggling to get into a game, it happens. They should be hauled off. That's what great managers do, see a problem and fix it. Not wait until its too late and then are wise after the game.

Yes, and when someone takes that approach, it's usually because they're talking through their hole. There's a narrative in the GAA that we must somehow his word should be treated as gospel because he won a medal. I was otherwise occupied when the football was happening 28 years ago when he won his, by all accounts he was a bit of a passenger on that team. If he had all the answers, he'd be managing some teams, which he never has and he never will. He hasn't the stones for that.

His point on culture is certainly over egged and Brolly has a history of talking through his hole about Gilroy and others - e.g. the Story about Daragh McAuley's boots before the Donegal game etc. How anyone gives that amadán an ounce of credibility is beyond me.

I d get your point on pundits but I would not look on them in anyway similar to members of a team of amateurs. Especially with the rise of social media platform punditry, which with the exception of a very honorable few in the print media has become the domain of self promoters using controversy to grab attention. Those are not two traits a manager would want around a dressing room.

Not exactly sure, but I seem to recall Pat Gilroy having a problem with some Dublin players making a few bob personally that he thought should be pooled. I don`t know if anything ever became of it, but I do know he publicly blinded Bernard Brogan out of it for feeling he was a bit special in that there was no need for him to track his man around the same time. Kerry also had a pool system at one stage I believe, but whether that is still the case or not I do not know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

The last thing I wanted to do was to be critical of any player in any county, that was not my intention if I came across that way. There is no doubt about the passion in Mayo same as Louth, Leitrim Carlow Wicklow.

I disagree about the level the players are at. Durkan, Keegan, Ruane, O'Hora, Conroy, Mullan and a few other are the among the best in Ireland. Looking at Dublin team and squad there are a good few players who dont particularly stand out at club level. They are good players no doubt but what they have in a very strong mentality and ability under pressure to do very simple things well. As I pointed out Mayo should have bet Dublin twice and Kerry should have beat them once. I believe Mayo are better than what we saw in final.

Has an air of doubt got to this squad? I cant put my finger on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

Mayo moved players around to stop certain Dublin players. That works two ways. Are you telling one player he is not good enough to mark Paul Mannion or Diarmuid Connolly? I think that is negative for a county like Mayo, Dublin or Kerry to do. There was nothing between the sides and I felt Higgins and Keegan who were flying would have caused Dublin if left alone to play their natural game.

Easy for me to say that as Im sure the pressure on management and team was enormous. But while only at club level I never changed my starting team but always used our strengths as was easier to swap during a game I felt. I see it as a vote of confidence in a lad to leave him to take on star man of opposition. In todays game the players are so well conditioned and drilled maybe we move them to much?? They are all over the place such is their fitness. Tyrone appear to take nearest man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Avon8

How on earth should Mayo have beaten Dublin twice? In 16 & 17 Mayo were getting beaten in their province, were drawing with the might of Derry, Cork, Roscommon etc, struggling over Fermanagh. Dublin were wiping the floor with everyone else basically. Mayo turned the finals into chaos and matched up well with Dublin and Dublin underperformed their ability. Only once did Dublin play up to themselves against Mayo in the last decade, the 20 mins after half time in 2019 when they tore them asunder. You're delusion if you think the talent levels in the respective squads was or is comparable.

Of the players you mentioned, one is currently at the very top class (Durkan). Keegan is one of the greatest of all time but has taken 3 roastings in 3 years. He's still excellent granted but needs the right matchup. O'Hora wasn't good enough to start this year until age 28, him being amongst the best in Ireland is laughable. Ruane had a great year but only a headcase would put him on the same level as Fenton or McCarthy. Even the likes of Enda Smith is a better player than him still at this point. Same with Conroy, very classy for a young lad but you'd be sectioned if you put him up with Clifford, Con, McBrearty etc.

How many Mayo forwards would make the Dublin team? Conroy probably and you're struggling after. Same with Kerry, you be hard pushed to say Mayo's second best ROD is better than Killian Spillane (a sub). Tyrone had two forwards on the bench the last day that you could argue are more talented than any mayo starting forward.

If you're going to somehow convince yourself that it's a team full of superstars despite no underage or club evidence I fear you're going to be disappointed year after year no matter how well the team perform on the whole, such as this year

• Advertisement

Looking to next year what I ask myself is going to be different that will change the result.

County Board ? No definitely not. They will do a review \ report that will say "all is great, great mamangement team , great players all being given the resources and support they need to succeed. Team was unfortunate with injuries this season and we were hampered by the unforeseen delay between AI Semi and Final. OH and we would like to thank all the Mayo supporters for being the greatest in the Country".

"We would like to condemm all those nasty journalists for saying mean things about the Mayo team who have a great culture".

Manager ? Maybe he will do the honourable thing and resign. 7 chances and no AI, Time to go.In the history of the GAA has there been any Intercounty Manager who has lasted 7 years without an AI or one who managed to win an AI on his 8th attempt. It is very unlikely that he will do any different next year re preparation, tactics etc etc. Also unlikely he will dump the veterans who have been with him for a decade and who now need to go. So pretty much same result losing in either Semi or Final.

Players ? Again unlikely. If JH stays panel will be pretty much the same. Some peripheral players will leave and some new peripheral ones will join, with maybe 1 breakthrough star. They will do pretty much the same stuff and deliver pretty much the same result.

Will we see a players revolt against Management ? If Holmes\Connelly not considered good enough after failing to deliver once, and rumours of a potential push against Rochford after 3 failures, why would JH be acceptable after 7 failures ?

Thus according to Einstein Mayo is insane as we keep doing the same stuff over and over and each time we expect a different result.

Is our football the source of the saying "Mayo god help us"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

I thought McStay made an interesting point about Mayo needing to develop specialist forwards rather than high energy, big engine players who can do a job in a few places. Diarmuid came to mind when I read it; he drops into midfield in the big games, but seems to have lost any bit of scoring threat as a result. The long range points and arriving at the back post to fist in looping balls seem things of the past.

If hes to be a midfielder, and I think he could make a good one, let him play there but if not he needs to develop properly as a forward player if he is to fulfil his potential.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭westsidestory

That's awful rubbish, have you ever played football when the opposition are on top and are pressurising every possession and shot? To accuse lads of being lazy and not trying hard enough in an all Ireland final is just ludicrous. Question their ability, athleticism, team preparation etc.

I feel a lot of comment in last week has been a venting of people's frustration rather than a cool analysis of what happened. Piling on AOS and others has gotten very personal, comments sections on social media are best avoided.

It strikes me Horan would be a lot luckier manager if he was more willing to take on board advice from others, he seems to always have one of his own clubman by his side regardless of their previous experience in the game at this level. If Cillian was available last Saturday would we have 4 of his clubmen in starting 15??? Substitutions were a real head scratcher as were lack of ideas when chasing the game. Horan has done exceptional work developing players but has he the wherewithal to realise he needs to delegate where others are better equipped to contribute.

Do you mean Cillian is the specialist forward? I think that's the problem, we haven't got enough of them. We have to get more scores from our half forwards in crunch games to get over the line.

Sorry if I've misunderstood you.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Compo82

I've had a bit of time to reflect on last Saturday and here are some of my thoughts. While in one way we could be considered to been a bit unlucky if we took our goal chances and kicked some of the wides, in that case we had a right good chance and maybe we were we killed ourselves. However, there is no argument the better team won and Tyrone deserved it.

The other view is that we got a lot wrong tactically, we played into Tyrone's hands by running the ball too much and running down channels where Tyrone wanted us to run. Also Mayo had opportunities to kick long ball into O'Shea in the first half and refused the chance on another of occasions. There was no leadership in attack and were a bit headless. Also the substitutions didn't seem to make much sense. Like brining on Flynn for O'Hora. Also I don't think Plunkett and Walsh are good enough for this level. Was there some favouritism because they are club men of Horan? Also, Loftus not a midfielder. While he had some good qualities, he is not a ball winning midfielder.

Orme hadn't played a game all year for Mayo and he's brought on in the final. I heard he was going well in training but bringing him on in an All Ireland final is not the place when he hasn't been tried.

I thought Colm Boyle would have been a good sub to bring on. His aggression would have been suited to Tyrone. Don't know why is was on the panel if he's not good enough to bring on.

Unfortunately for Robbie Hennelly he had another bad error in a final. He should have come for that ball and taken man and ball or stayed on his line. In fairness, Mullin was caught out too.

I think James Horan is a good manager to prepare a team, good organisation and get a team fit, also good at building a squad of players but I think he has been found out tactically again.

• Advertisement

Fionn McDonagh was looking like the player to add a scoring threat from half forwards. Any chance that he can kick on again?

ROD is more suited on the 40 also in my opinion. With scoring threat and distribution he could be an important weapon in the next few years.

Sorry it was i that missed you!! I agree we don't have enough of them! Half forwards not scoring in an all ireland final is not good enough!!!!

As others have said Horan would make a great minor or U20 manager in terms of developing players, but when it comes to senior you need a bit more to you, especially in AI finals and he simply does not have it. Similar to Peter Keane really. Just lacking that tactical awareness, the ability to come up with a plan that works, game management, selections and substitutions.

As for Horan saying Mayo now have a strong squad, he must be joking! We've no midfielders bar Ruane who had a poor final. And we've very few scoring forwards.

As for piling in one player, that shouldn't happen. But Mayo have a serious issues in certain areas, so all the guff about a bright future is tiresome from the likes of Horan.

The man talks a great game, after the game is over. Great managers make the changes needed during the game.

And I also feel some sympathy for AOS.

He's moved around, full forward, centre forward and occasionally midfield. This is a big ask for any player in one game as they are 3 different roles. That and when he is sent in to full forward, the ball isn't sent into him.

I agree with all of that, and yet any intercounty player should kick the misses he had in the last 2 games in his sleep. At some point sentiment has to come out of it, other players get hauled earlier for less

• Advertisement

Director of football taking charge of all player development with all coaches up to under 20 plus any development squad reporting to him and a complimentary arrangement with the senior coaching team who would have complete autonomy on senior team operations. Requires all sides to abandon ego though which although fine in principle is very difficult to implement in reality. I do think another year or should be given to him though. He has earned it.

I`m not a great fan of this giving a manager just one year, if you are going to give anything give two or nothing. To me one year has the whiff of a dead man walking. and no great help to a manager or a squad.

I think he has a four year contract! I wouldn't say losing an all ireland final like that should result in earning anything!!!

Post edited by muddle84 on

I didn’t mean he should given only another year, I mean the should have another year or so on the current development path before we pass judgement on this Horan era.

Apologies. I mistakenly though this year was the last of his current tenure,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Some muck. No critisism of GAA players is fair. Players out slogging in the crap weather - training and getting fit. Giving up their own time. And very little out of it except obviously self-satisfaction, and a few commercial add-ons along the way. And you think it's ok for someone to come along and critisise them for effectively carrying out their hobby.

Why didn't you get off you h@le at a younger age and put in the hard graft needed for intercounty level. It's not like these players were just born with a Mayo jersey on them. THey had to work for it, and put in massive sacrafices - some of them year after year. And then to listen to armchair "experts" like yourself, having your pizzas and beers. They are the real heroes in this. Those having pops at them are cowardly keyboard warriors.

James Horan has had 7 years, yes his current arrangement includes another year. He has failed to win an AI on seven occasions, do we really expect that next year will be any different. Time to move on and give someone else a chance.

His record is a lot worse than the Brian Macdonald who supposedly had the squad pusing a bus or car around the car park in 1992 during training. His record was managed one lost one.

if you lose round 1 or in final still a failure to win an AI.

What business would keep a Managing Director who had failed to achieve his objective 7 years in a row.

Kerry are dumping Peter Keane after 3 years even though he delivered 3 Minor AI's 3 years in a row. We can expect that Kerry will win their next AI before Mayo as they know how it is done. Mickey Hearte is one of the Greatest GAA managers ever, but when he went past his sell by date Tyrone got rid of him and won a further AI with potentially more to come. Tyrone will also win their next AI before Mayo.

when Horan took over Tyrone had just been in the all Ireland with basically the current team. In the interim Horan as completely overhauled the team. Truth is getting to the AI this year was an overachievement. This Tyrone side is 2-3 years ahead of us in development even if they have a new coaching setup.

That was the start of JH's 2nd term or 5th year in charge. Since then Tyrone have changed manager, probably a significant amount of players and won another AI. JH \ Mayo have lost 3. As regards complete over haul of the team, 11 of the Mayo match day 26 this year featured in the 2017 AI (Harrison, Keegan, Durcan, McLoughlin, O Shea, Boyle, Hennelly, D O Connor, Coen, Loftus, C O Shea), hardly a complete overhaul. It would have been 12 if COC was not injured.In fact 5 go all the way back to 2012 final (6 icl COC) Horan 1st as Mgr.

As critical as I am about mgr and team I would not say they over achieved reaching final. They were 2nd best team in AI and fully deserved their place in final. If they had won it would not have been an overachievement, it would have been fully deserved.

• Advertisement
Advertisement