Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Response

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Straw man much?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,264 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

But it's not the restrictions on the alcohol volume that I have an issue with.

It's the fact that the government have decided to lock people in their homes and not allow them even out to do necessary shopping.

That's draconian.

It is draconian, I agree.

But keeping people in strict isolation is pretty much the definition of "quarantine". It's not a novel idea, nor one that is unique to Australia.

Ireland imposes strict quarantine obligations on people who arrive from designated countries. It's strongly arguable that they pose less of a risk of transmission than people who live, not in the same country, but in the same building as numerous infected people.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,222 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Haven’t seen anyone rejoicing yet so I guess this moronic post was completely wrong, what a surprise. Still denying the efficacy of vaccines or have you moved on from that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,296 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

What are you on about? Did I mention anything about "rejoicing " in this post? My post was wrong? So they aren't policing peoples alcohol intake in quarantined building? That's good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Hego Damask

Fair enough point, so long as it's temporary ..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,988 ✭✭✭✭josip

I was at Ireland Serbia match last week that had 25,000 at it.

Two groups of people on this thread, the Aus based ones who refer to the past as justification for why the Zero Covid was the correct strategy but apart from one or two posters are reluctant to discuss the present and future, or will only address selective parts.

The non-Aus ones who range from rabid Anti-Aus to circumspect/curious, many of whom ignore Australia's successful record until recently, and only want to discuss Australia/NZ's less perfect present/future.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,267 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Australia will need a fair bit more vaccines in arms before they can go down our road but I do agree that at some point in the vaccination program the benefits will no longer outweigh the downsides of lockdown.

I was at a football game a couple of weeks ago in Australia with 48,000 at it. This week the crowd was 59,000 (though I wasn't there myself).

The point is, the lockdowns are local; lockdowns are only in place where there is infection in the community. Likewise travel restrictions; I cannot travel to New South Wales, but I just got back from two weeks' trekking in the Northern Territory with people from Queensland, Tasmania and South Australia. The travel restrictions are tough, but they are effective in preventing the spread of the infection, and it's because of them that I have been subject to very little in the way of lockdown, and my state has seen only 9 covid deaths since the start of the pandemic.

The future depends crucially on vaccination, and here we have two problems. The first has been widely noted; it's the slow pace of vaccination. But that's not an insoluble problem. The second has been less discussed; what level of vaccination do we need in order to reduce other controls, and still not have a blowout of infections and deaths? The federal government is promoting a plan for phased reduction of restrictions when 70% and 80% targets are reached for adult vaccination; not all of the states are entirely committed to this yet. But what bothers me is that none of the discussion I have seen refers to much (or anything) in the way of epidemiological modelling to justify these particular targets, or to offer any assurance that these levels of vaccination will be enough to avoid the blowout. I'm not saying they won't be, or that modelling on this doesn't exist; just that nobody seems to be talking about this very much, although to me it looks like the central question.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Timmyr

This.

I am in NZ and we have had normal life for pretty much the entire covid pandemic, these short lockdowns are what allowed us to have that and we are happy to do it for a few weeks here and there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Iecrawfc

how long has Auckland been in the toughest restrictions in the world outside China now?

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Timmyr

4 weeks

4 weeks, how long has Ireland pent in a degree of lockdown during this pandemic? and how many have died?

Very lucky to be in NZ during covid, been life as usual the majority of the time

You're looking from the outside in, so you probably dont appreciate what its been like over here

Exactly. It might make us feel better looking at Australia and NZ now having their localised lockdowns and stating that Zero Covid doesn't work but at the end of the day we've had Lockdowns and restrictions in some shape or form since March last year

We've also had 5,000 deaths and almost 400,000 recorded cases, 5 times the Australian figures on a fifth of their population

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭gral6

If you'd like to be confined in your lovely island for the rest of your life, then - yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Not sure what you imagine that we or anyone else could have done about that, the physical location and relative isolation of both helped enormously. There was no no magic like this that was available to the rest of the world and these stats add very little to any argument for alternatives.

Yes that's true, New Zealand and Australia are Islands and we are not... Wait...

The reason people continue to look in is that they long remained a rallying call for COVID zero, something that now been shown to be basically ineffective. One can appreciate the parochialism on how things have gone but they need to hit those targets, something we looking in know are quite an ask.

Surrounded by 500m other people and split with a porous border to another country but otherwise absolutely alike.

Off the top of my head there are 2 ways to take care of the border issue... Either close it or strike a deal with the assembly/westminster that all external borders to the Island would be closed and controlled

We're not surrounded by 500m other people, we have at least 45km of a sea to the next island... The virus only spreads within 2 meters so that's the equivalent to 22,500 buffers

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Not in Kansas

The approach in New Zealand has produced admirable results, but with all due respect, I know very many people who are in mental agony over the separation from their families in their country of origin. In my line of work I support older people, and the anguish being experienced by parents and grandparents who have family living in Australia and NZ is heartbreaking. With no light at the end of the tunnel as of yet, it should not be written out of the narrative.

On the subject of the modelling informing the planned relaxing of restrictions in Australia and NSW in particular, the document linked to in the below Tweet is easy to understand and highlights the flaws in the Doherty model, which is the only one the Australian government is working off with their 70 and 80% vaccinated plan.

https://twitter.com/profesterman/status/1438023776768122882?s=19

• Advertisement

None of this has any basis in the real world and you actually can't stop this thing spreading.

Don't be so defeatist, if we can put a man on the moon we can do anything in the real world

The man on the moon nearly took a decade and we'll be well past COVID. Anyway moving on and I'll leave you to your happy musings.

My point is that if there was political will then there is no reason we couldn't have had the freedoms and case/death rates of New Zealand the last year

It's absurd to say that Covid zero has been shown to be "basically ineffective". It hasn't worked perfectly but, on any measure it has worked better than other strategies that have been tried - fewer and shorter restrictions on people's lives, fewer infections, fewer deaths, a lower economic cost.

The only way to oppose it is (a) to disregard covid deaths as wholly irrelevant to a judgment about the efficacy of covid measures, and (b) to claim, as gral6 does, that it involves permanent travel restrictions and, when people point out that you are lying about this, to ignore them, wait for a while and then repeat the lie.

It's not a very persuasive case, on the whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭bikeman1

There is often a point missed by those in relatively Covid free parts of Oz and NZ. Covid 19 is not going away. We have over 90% of adults vaccinated and there are still cases and still some deaths happening. This will not stop for anytime in the future. Being obsessed with case numbers has to stop. As soon as restrictions are eased again, Delta will find a way in, and then spread around with ease. Then you lockdown again and again. Even with vaccination extremely high, it will always be around.

Locking yourself off from either the other part of your country and the rest of the world indefinitely is not a good strategy. You have welcomed people from Ireland and the rest of the world to work and contribute to life. Now you are completely cutting them off without good reason at this stage. This will be a never ending cycle. Deaths happen, that's a factor of life.

If you think it is all doom and gloom here, I've had a great summer. Visited 5 countries in Europe, Partied late at night, visited museums, been at a rugby match, an outdoor festival, had birthday parties, ran in a few organisied runs, got my vaccine promptly and easily for someone my age. Work has been out the door and the economy is going great (nearly too great). C19 very much feels in the rear view mirror for most people living in Ireland that I know of.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,654 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

I wouldn't be declaring some major victory yet. Its inevitable that those countries will get a sizeable covid wave when they eventually open up

It's really not. As a model it has when only country remains wedded to it as a way out of this. It also requires locking out the rest of the world and completely ignores the importance of geography and politics needed to do so, even if that works for the natives. Would they go at it again? Probably but nobody else would. Ultimately it depends on the vaccination programmes. If not enough sign up to that it's a long way out of this.

Personally never been a fan of the use of deaths as a type of oneupmanhip in this and to vindicate one approach over another. We lost a lot of people last year because NHs were exposed and we blew Christmas which led to the disease going out of control, as did much of the rest of Europe. But that's the problem when you live in a fairly crowded continent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Hence why the plan is for 70% of population to be vaccinated, which going by current rates is only 2 months away (which isnt too far fetched, everyone in my social/work circles have had at least one if not two doses, so I believe it an achievable target at least by end of year anyway).

Opening before then would just undo all the success from the past 18 months. At least have your population vaccinated BEFORE unleashing the virus, Australia have the luxury of being able to do this. This is the point Peregrinus is constantly making which is constantly ignored. Australia have agreed that covid zero is not sustainable long term, focus is now on vaccination. How on earth can that not be seen as a sensible approach?

• Advertisement

Our plan had 32 iterations and changed dates at least half a dozen times. You still don't know what the vaccination rates will be in two months. As I've said before, 50% is very easy and the UK raced ahead of us to that but are now 10% behind having been slow since early summer. Both Israel and the US flatlined on rates as well so you still need to see what path the public will take, ours or a more sluggish and resistant one.

Advertisement