Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin no longer able to service existing customer

Options
  • 10-09-2021 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi

Received a call from Virgin, they will be no longer able to service us.

This is the reason given - they run cable along a route. The are no longer able to use this route. They can't find an alternative route.

Has anyone experienced this before? The caller said she couldn't give any more information due to data protection.

There is a house currently being built in a side garden on a nearby road. Do you think this could be the reason? Is there anyway to find out more information?

I'm now investigating if other service providers can provide a service to us. We need BB, even kids homework is online. If other providers aren't able to service us, where do we go from here?

We were only given a few days notice. Not ideal in the current situation where we are still working from home.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

In some locations, the coax cable runs from the roof of your home to your neighbours roof and then on too the next neighbour, etc. If one of your neighbours demand for it to be removed, then you will be disconnected too (and maybe many other neighbours) and their isn't much you can do. Virgin can't disclose which neighbour this might be for obvious privacy reasons.

You could try calling to your neighbours and ask if it might be them and ask if they could reconsider. They might not realise their decision is impacting others.

If that doesn't work then your only choice is to get another provider. Is VDSL or even better Eir or Siro FTTH available in your area?

You might need to use 5g as a stop gap for a while or even consider Stralink if you don't have any other optinos (which I'd doubt in a cabled area).

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its 100% a neighbour has told them to remove their plant.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭com7

you could approach the neighbour and ask them to reconsider maybe ..........

• Registered Users Posts: 82,514 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If there's many customers involved get together and tell the neighbour what impact it will have on you. Perhaps they are assuming it's only impacting them and they don't need broadband. If it was around me and someone pulled this it would be the same reaction if they tried to take the electricity away, the person would become a complete blacksheep of the area and be ostracized from the community.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

In our circumstances the old UPC cable lads jumped the side wall of our property one day while we were all at work, erected a load of cables off our chimney and cabled the coax to it...

We didn't even have UPC broadband at the time so we told them to remove the coax and the yokes they attached to our side chimney, along came a rep apologising profusely and gave us a concession on a package for having their cable things on the walls and chimney of our house...

In your predicament it could be a case of a neighbour in a similar situation to what we were, who doesn't want cables across their property and now it is going to effect the end user, you and your neighbours...

Sounds like it could well be this new place that is most likely only being built...

They will most likely even want Virgin when they eventually move in...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

You can raise an objection & complaint on the build that it has impacted your dwelling without adequate notice and impact advisement. Your council can give you some advice if you get in touch.

I wouldn't be idly standing by and having a neighbour impact my broadband choice, especially if it meant removing Virgin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Daith

I feel the pain here. One of the neighbours got external wall insulation and whoever did it, covered the Eir connection point so I can't get FTTC atm. I can use Virgin which is grand but can't really switch to save money.

Advertisement