Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 13 Upgrade/Selling strategy?

• 27-08-2021 10:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭

Hi lads, the iPhone 13 or 12s will be amongst us shortly and I’m wondering what is the best way to upgrade from my 12 Pro Max?

I bought the 12 Pro Max outright from Apple and would like to upgrade to the 13 Pro Max when it arrives. Where can I get the best value for money for my current iPhone? Should I sell before the 13 is released? What’s the best course of action?

I know it will be only incremental changes but I want to keep my phone updated and I don’t mind taking a 2/300 euro loss each year. Current iPhone is in mint condition btw, not one scratch on it and 100% battery capacity.

all help appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭turfthrower

I'm in the same position. Wondering now what the resale value is of a blue iPhone 12 Pro Max with 250gbs, in mint nick with box etc. Bought directly from Apple for €1376. Still under warranty until November.

Thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

I reckon 950/1000 for that would be a fair price?

I think mine was €1256 so I’m hoping for 850/900 with two covers. There’s a lot being sold privately on adverts so the chances of getting rid of it there are probably slim.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,935 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

Over the past number of years a lot of phone shops have popped up on Adverts selling brand new phones well under the RRP (I’d imagine they’re grey imports).

At the moment you can get a brand new iPhone 12 Pro Max for €979 (€300 under Apple’s selling price). And they’ll be cheaper again once the new one is released.

I’ve found it’s much harder to get a decent price for an second hand phone (even in excellent condition) because of this.

Hard compete with a price like that to be fair. Might have to take a bigger hit than I thought. Can’t understand why Apple don’t offer an upgrade system here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,935 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

Not Irish/EU stock. Not imported to Ireland through official channels and could affect your warranty if needed.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I know two sellers personally on adverts and I can 100% confirm that their iphones aren't grey imports, they are all irish stock which are provided by three and Eir, and are factory unlocked also. I wont go into details how they get them but everything is legit and all have apple warranties also.

• Administrators Posts: 54,059 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

As soon as the new phone is announced the price you'll get will drop even further as more second hand phones come on the market.

IMO since the phones have hit the 1k+ price mark upgrading annually is no longer financially viable, unless you are willing to waste a lot of money. Every other year is the sweet spot now..

I thought the upgrade program wasn’t available here? What kind of deal do you get if it’s available?

€759 to CEX if you still have the box, €731 if you don't.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,517 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Oddly enough, it's saying they won't accept my 12Pro 512GB. Can't accept it.

In anycase, was in CEX this morning. Sussed them out and they were offering me €740. It's in mint condition. One thing I meant to ask them though was about the charger. They asked if I had the charger, of course I said yes. Now that I think of it though the 12's only came with the lightning cable so I won't be giving them anything more than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Pete123456

I’ve used CEX several times for old stuff you’d never sell on done deal and I usually buy a charger in deals and hand it in… never had an issue. Just a thought if they push you?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,517 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Yeah you're right, I'll probably see what I could get first through Adverts. CEX is just handy in the sense that you're in and out and have the money relatively quickly, no need for meets or anything like that. Then again you pay a fair bit for not having to go through that relatively minor hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Yeah totally get that. I always said CEX and the likes was a rip off but as you said, they’re guaranteed to buy it and it’s usually turned round in less than 24 hours in fairness. You could be arsing around with Adverts for a few weeks… but everyone to their own. Certainly for the most recent phones I sold them I would probably never have sold them on done deal or adverts and at least I got a few handy quid rather than them sitting in a drawer for another few years.

For the newer phones though you do get stung big time on the price - still get more than the Apple program etc.

Ah, that'll probably change shortly then I imagine?

€535 for the 12 Pro 512GB. I think I'll pass on that offer!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I buy the latest iPhone “as new” nearly every year a few months after they are released from the same shop in Dublin. These phones still have the plastic seal and have never been switched on. I pay well below the official price with most of the apple warranty left. For a few bob more I could buy them new in the same shop in a sealed box, again well below the official price from apple. These phone come with a receipt which states the duration of the apple warranty. I have been doing this for years with the same shop. Never had an issue and have saved myself a fortune.

Then I sign up for a SIM only deal rather than get fleeced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,794 ✭✭✭micks_address

its a bit of a lose lose situation really... if you want to maximize the return from a private sale then you'd need to have sold your phone in the last week or so and then have a 'stop gap' until you can buy whatever iteration of the next phone you want.. adverts does seem to have gone crazy with iphones.. especially shops selling new or nearly new... few iphone 12 pro max up there for just over 800 euro new. i think unless you really have to change you are far better off waiting a second year. You can probably get 500 for a iphone 12 p max this time next year and you'd have another years usage out of it

Apple offered me 325 Euro for 11 pro 256Gb eah, no.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I simply trade mine in to the shop that I bought it from each time I want to upgrade. I'm in and out in 20 minutes, deal done at minimal cost and I have the latest iphone. This unlocked iphone is always "as new", so utterly indistinguishable from a new phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 552 ✭✭✭turbodiesel

Just wondering if you could mention the shop, no need for a hyperlink.

Don’t know if I’m allowed. Will PM you

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭kaerobe

I sold my 64gb iphone 11 pro on adverts for 550 yesterday. Apple and CeX can do one!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Can you let me know too please? Looking to upgrade from an iPhone 8 which I got new. Think its finally time to change it.

Sure, but just so you know this shop will only take a trade in of a phone that they sold you. I think that the idea is that they don’t risk handling a stolen phone.

For the record I have no connection with this shop whatsoever apart from being a happy customer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

sold my 11 pro max 64gb for €450 cash and iphone xs 64gb in min condition , seems like a good deal to me , use the xs till my 13 comes and then sell it or pass it on , either way im quids in

Advertisement