Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post returning packages from outside the EU-See 1st post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

I was reading it there last week it says on here

Which provider will deliver my parcel? 

DHL has a partnership with An Post. International shipments will be collected from the sender and brought into Ireland by DHL. The delivery is then handled by An Post

https://www.dhl.com/ie-en/home/our-divisions/parcel/private-customers/faq.html

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

That's the Parcel service from Europe. Their service from Australia should be Express which should be door/door and cleared by DHL. I try and avoid European suppliers that use DHL as a large chunk of tracking and transit time goes missing, particularly after it reaches Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 RollingSun2000

I contacted Blackship, the mail forwarding service in Japan.

I asked them about requesting the CN23 label, regardless of weight and value. I briefly explained our situation with An Post returning packages. They seemed to be well aware of the issue.

This was their reply to me. I added the bold, those were the questions from my previous email to them:

Thanks for reaching out to Blackship.

Thanks for providing us the information regarding this matter. And yes, we recently also experienced this same problem where many packages from Ireland were getting returned : (

>Can I request that a CN23 label be used, regardless that it is not the correct label?

And yes, there seems to be the case as every package needs to contain a CN 23 form from now on. We will update our shipping system and making sure to create the CN 23 form for every shipment to Ireland. So please don't worry about that.

>If those things can't be provided, I will still continue to use Blackship. Irish importers seem to have more luck using DHL and FedEx. I feel confident using the DHL delivery option provided by Blackship. I am only asking because I would like to use one of the cheaper delivery options.

But yes, DHL and FedEx seem to be safe as the one returned are all package shipped with international ePacket and Printed Matter airmail.

• I think that last line "the one returned" was meant to say "ones."

So there you go. Other countries are getting the hint about An Post. And DHL and FedEx should be okay, just keep an eye on your tracking and junk folder. It's going to cost a fortune though, not just delivery but the declared VAT and fees. I think their fee is €10 (compared to An Post's €3.50). But paying the VAT was never my issue, I just want my packages.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Sparkling Gamorreans

I personally think the best angle rather than focusing on Mr Redmond is to focus on the climate impact and the reputational damage to Ireland from a commerce perspective. These kind of matters are the currency of politicians. Eamon Ryan being Minister of both Communications and the Environment and leader of the Green Party is the one who should be pressured to comment and investigate. You should be directing your written and social media communications to him. Potentially Leo too as having Trade and Enterprise. The factual evidence to point here are the Daily Mirror and Irish Times articles, this thread and the social media posts. I'd be wary of damaging credibility by making definitive claims about uncorroborated large numbers and emotive language like "victims". What you want is for the politicians to probe, query, substantiate and quantify here. How many parcels, what carbon footprint etc.

This is a very helpful post.

I wonder is the CN22/CN23 issue down to individual staff error and perhaps general confusion arisen in staff trying to comprehend what they're being instructed to do. I can't see any ambiguity or nuance that would lead to the interpretation that all packages should require a CN23. The very reason a CN22 exists, which is an abridged version of the CN23, is clearly to apply a proportional level of information to less sizeable and valuable packages. It seems like a complete breakdown of communication internally. It would really help if An Post could call out the committing of this error, explain the root cause and advise they have taken remedial action to prevent its reoccurrence. Instead as recipients we are now finding ourselves asking exporters to do non-sensical things which contradict published instructions and they are amending practices accordingly to accommodate erroneous practices. This is the kind of reputational damage An Post are creating for doing business with Ireland. Needless and bizarre. This is the message politicians need to understand but how to even articulate something so absurd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

So David Redmond who has brought phenomenal positive change to an post including bringing the Unions with him and managing huge growth and return to profit and market leader in parcel delivery is "not fit for the job" because English people cannot fill out forms properly?

Btw, other countries do have the same issue, and even worse. Parcel force have stopped taking parcels for Spain, Poland, Italy and Sweden due to customs issue.

Germany's system sends all non electronic goods to customs who manually process them and contact you themselves for the charges. If they can't contact you, the goods are returned.

So stop making stuff up that this is an Ireland only issue. It is primarily a UK issue that people there are not realising that sending items to the EU needs proper declarations.

As for the bullying campaign that you are trying to start - it's exactly that, bullying.

Are you privy to information beyond what's being discussed here? Posters seem to have reported a variety of issues with exporters from across the job and not just the UK. Instances have been provided where not just incorrect or incomplete information has resulted in a return but correctly completed packages have been returned or An Post have insisted on a CN23 where a CN22 was the correct label based on weight and value. There's more factors at play here than you indicate.

Can you corroborate the claims in respect of other jurisdictions?

I would agree this shouldn't be focused on Mr Redmond but I think it's reasonable at this point to further investigate the issues being raised here and they do merit media and political attention. The post about Blackship in Japan corroborates the claims that this is primarily an An Post/Irish issue and a company is now undertaking a practice of completing a CN23 in all instances when not necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

Yeah An Post under Mc Redmond has become "the market leader in parcel delivery" alright...unfortunately they all seem to be going in the wrong direction, ie back to senders not intended recipients.

Crap service and contempt for customers began at An Post the day that clown took charge of it, it didn't begin after July 1st...this is just the latest and worst episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,305 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Got something this morning from UK.

Standard post with a cn22 label on it.

Was a small package so maybe slipped through the net.

Have 8 fortnightly parcels since till not here.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭eiei0

Hi all

I had a package from the UK land in the Dublin 12 mail center last week,

It has sat there since Thursday, I checked the tracking and now it says return to sender, I know it has the right address on it as I have seen the label,

Any idea why they would just send it back and not try to deliver it??

Thank

Post edited by whiterebel on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,640 ✭✭✭micks_address

a lot of stuff is being sent back to sender due to what customs are saying 'not enough information or not properly declared items' they seem to have taken a blanket approach to this. Its nothing to do with the address in most cases. I had something coming recently and had to chase them via online chat for ages to get it to delivered. I had another item on its way few weeks ago a phone case and they automatically sent it back to the retailer.

If the exporter hasn't used the correct label CN22/CN23 and/or a TARIC code then An Post may return it. They're also currently in the habit of returning correctly labelled and completed packages at the minute for reasons people can't establish.

just this morning I got an email from AN Post saying I had to pay €11.60 VAT and An Post charge on an item from the UK. I got a reference number and customer ID and that was it. I have no idea what the parcel is as I have about 4 orders on the way right now. The customs charge bears no resemblance to the price I paid for these orders so I cannot check.

I went online to An Post to pay this but their website wont actually let you proceed even though I have put in both reference numbers. I now have to toddle off to the post office to pay this charge!. My question is: how do I know they will actually deliver the parcel and how do I know which parcel I am paying customs for? Already yesterday a UK supplier I have used before emailed me to say my order had been returned to them from Irish Customs (so maybe it was that order I am expected to pay for now after getting this email??) Its so bloody confusing, not enough info, people don't know what they're paying for and there is no guarantee the item will be delivered even if they pay?!!

This wasn't happening at the beginning of the Summer as I had no problem with orders and deliveries at that stage, Its all just kicked off in the last few weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

I had a package sent pack to Japan and spent quite some time on hold to An Post to be told the electronic info wasn't filled in correctly. The person mentioned email address as a required field. Makes sense, I've got some customs payment emails.

But the seller tells me that the email address field is NOT marked as mandatory when capturing the customs info so he left it out for privacy reasons!

He's now including email address and fills out all other required fields. Hopefully I get my items this time.

There's usually a description of the item when you put the references in on the An Post website and get onto the next screen or two. The description reference will only be as good as the description input by the exporter. The value mightn't correspond because the exporters sometimes under declare the value. VAT is also applied on the shipping cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭deezell

They're stopping every single parcel now, even ones of trivial value. Every parcel is a potential €3.50 admin fee, an couple of euro vat to the revenue, plus even 10% duty if goods are dutiable. Its a massive cash cow, and they don't care if thousands of parcels are returned, worst case for them is they'll come back, and they'll get their duty, vat and admin secon time around

You would have thought with covid we should be doing everything to encourage seamless online business, especially for small operators. Instead we have new barriers and beartraps, with Brexit the catalyst for this.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

MOD: There is a thread already for this, it was well flagged since the start of the year that VAT would apply to all imports from outside the EU, because the lower VAT limit collection was dropped. I'll move this over to the correct thread later.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Doge

So what specifically is required to ensure a package is not returned to sender?

Is it a CN23 form / sticker?

I'm ordering something from the US at the moment and want to be sure, the thread is pretty long to find my answer. Thanks.

That's the $64 question. The seller is required to attach an electronically generated customs label whose data is communicated in advance to the postal/customs service of countries which require this (Ireland/EU since July 1st). The data required varies depending on country of destination. See here for what Ireland requires, under the FAQ tag "What do I need to do when sending an item to Ireland?"

I'm still not sure how you/ the sender electronically communicate this data. If they buy a DHL/USPS label online perhaps, or from a post office. A hand written label and a couple of 2 dollar stamps doesn't cut it anymore. You'll have to educate your supplier, and maybe go through the essential items on the label list, particularly Taric/HS code, weight, postage, item category (gift, sample, etc). If they have this then at least the worst that can happen is you'll be required to pay VAT and admin. No more non EU packets slipping through I'm afraid.

Quoting my own post from yesterday where An Post told me that my item was "still with customs I'm afraid...."

Got on to Customs yesterday afterwards who confirmed that my parcel was never passed to them, and they are not holding anything.

An Post are out right bare faced lying to customers.

• Advertisement

No one has an issue with the VAT, on goods exported here tax free from the country of origin. It's not being given the chance to pay this that's the problem, with your packet returned indiscriminately by customs/AnPost, despite being labelled with value, postage, codes etc, possibly from a supplier who remits the vat to the destination country using the One Stop Shop OSS system. It's obvious they're overwhelmed with packets, and they don't have the facility to hold and determine vat due, if any. They are supposed to give an opportunity to correct the data, its in the protocol.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

to me it seems to be a case of..."pass the parcel" (pardon the pun)

one agency blaming the other 😶

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Seanachai

My US supplier is more than happy to fill out the appropriate forms they just don't know where to obtain the CN23 form and I haven't been able to find it through searches online.

In fairness, that's exactly the way the opening lines in your post came across. It looked more like VAT and charges were the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,955 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Makes it very hard to order stuff on Amazon. You need to find something in the EU that will actually deliver to Ireland, not have massive postage and attract customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Marlay

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Seanachai

This is the response from the supplier,

"We typically do not submit any additional declaration forms other than the commercial invoice on the package we shipped.

If you can provide a form or contact, we can and will provide anything we can to help you retrieve your package but there is no indication as far as we can see of where the package is currently or how to contact them directly.

Please see the attached commercial invoice - you may submit it to them if that may help - otherwise, please let us know whatever else we may need to provide.

You selected a shipping method that is a hybrid - UPS delivers to your local post office who is supposed to make the final delivery so UPS initiated contact with them and provided whatever shipment declarations forwarded"

And it gets better!

Just got an email from the E-Comm Charge Query Team to say that my package was dispatched from Ireland on the 27th of August and London on the 31st of August en route back to Japan.

So what package have they been scanning 6 times over the last week, in Dublin Mail Centre then? I'm only expecting on package. My tracking shows ... Aug 18, Aug 29, Sept 3, Sept 8, Sept 9, Sept 10, .... all at "Handling office DUBLIN DELIVERY".

And why did customs last night tell me they've NEVER had my package? At every turn, its a different lie.

I feel like I'm losing my mind, at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

Parcelforce forwarded on my surface mail package from Japan to An Post last week and it was delivered without a problem so I'm not convinced that Parcelforce is implementing things as strictly as An Post.

-----------------------------------

Funnily enough I got a letter from An Post today from the "DMC Customs Charge Unit" looking for €8.75 VAT plus €3.50 admin charge on another parcel which they said they won't deliver if I don't pay the charge. So I checked the tracking number and they actually delivered the parcel 6 days ago so I'm not exactly motivated to pay up .

Funnier still was the item description was entered as "wig" which is not even remotely close to what was in the parcel (trading cards) which indicates that either they didn't actually examine the parcel, the data entry person had homer simpson fingers or they don't know their own codes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭georgewickstaff

Question.

If my daughters grandparents send her a small birthday present like in previous years from UK to Ireland will it be returned if it only has the CN22 on it?

How are ordinary people sending small cheap presents to kids supposed to cope with this crap?

It says to fill in a CN22 online and a present can be valued at under €45. What do we do? They are not so well off they can repeatedly send again and again. Its insane.

Advertisement