Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Supplier for VW T4 High Top roof ?

Options
  • 12-09-2021 8:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭

Its my winter project to remodel the Van and I am well on the way to getting all the bits together.

The main plan is to put a high roof onto the van and I thought I had it sorted with a guy in Mallow who builds Rimeo copies, but he has failed to get back to me and I am a bit apprehensive buying at a distance from a man on Done Deal. It seems that there are no suppliers of fiberglass roofs in Ireland apart from Rimeo themselves, but these are at least twice the cost of the alternatives and that's before delivery from Germany.

So has anyone out there done this, are there hidden suppliers tucked away somewhere in Ireland ?

Shoog

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nophd08

Can't really answer your question but if I was going to get a high top fitted I'd be tempted to arrange it in the UK. Conversions seems to be a big enough industry there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭traco

Can't help but if you have a build thread I'd be interested to follow it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,946 ✭✭✭Shoog

Might start one.

I think I have worked out a way to get one from Cork.

Things I intend to do:

• build and install rock and roll bed (built)
    • Install hightop and overhead storage cupboards, install skylight in same
    • Install rotating passenger seat
    • Install new gas locker on side of van
    • Change kitchen unit to a new layout with Porta Potty mounted below for access when bed is down.

Shoog

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭traco

Have you posted a pic or two in another thread of what you have?

I have been looking at a lot of layouts and I keep coming back to the Auto Camper mRV system. Its based on a transit custom and they have two sliding doors. What I really like is the kitchen setup which could be a minus on a single sliding door model as it blocks half the door. However being able to cook and access the hob, sink and fridge froum outside I think is really nice. They also have a large cubby at floor level under the sink that you can slide the porta potti into. I also like the floor rails as you can put in proper captains chairs that fold and the lower bed can be used over them and you can have the pop top.

If you are doing a bit of remodel it might giive you some ideas, very short vid first and a much longer waffly owners one in the second link.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiiLHEDCN94

Longer owners review of the fixed high roof

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sg9yJzyT3mI

Ultimately having lived with our current setup for 4 years I came to the conclusion that the Westphalia California layout is the most optimal layout for a T4 Transporter and its what we are basing our new layout on. Our current setup has the kitchen across the back of the seats which is a problem both for insurance and for bringing the front into the back space. We have a slatted pull out bed along the wall opposite the sliding door which is fine in terms of space (more than the rock and roll which will replace it) but it has nowhere to store all the bedding, pillows and extra bits of mattress. You also have to pull out everything to setup the bed, and once the bed is down there is no space for the toilet. All these issues are solved by the kitchen only been behind the drivers seat and the rock and roll bed. We already have a side awning and a back awning. The back awning is great when you can put it up (good for festivals).

The high roof is going to be the best improvement as it will allow standing up straight and just about double the available storage space making more than week long trips appealing. The hope is that adding the roof and the single swivel seat will be enough to get more mainstream insurance allowing trips to France.

Shoog

• Advertisement

I am working out a way to get the roof from the man In Mallow, have a friend going past who is going to inspect and pay a deposit. I will then get a local Man and Van to pick up the roof once everything is confirmed. If all goes well this should all come in at €1000.00

I will report back once I have it and then when I am actually fitting it.

So I eventually went ahead with the roof from the Mallow Fabricator. I got mine as a clear out deal for €750.00 but he usually sells them for €950.00

Very well made and based upon the speedline roof profile. I can highly recommend him if anyone needs a new roof. He leaves a bit of spare on the back so that you can get a better bond to the roof (usually they are just bonded by their thin edge).

We fitted it last weekend. Took an hour to cut out the roof and then four of us lifted it on in about an hour all told. Fitted perfectly and I used Tiger Bond. A really easy job in the end - much more scarey to contemplate than to do. There is a 5mm gap along the back where it failed to sit down - but I will fill this out with more Tiger Bond.

My 6 foot 1 frame can stand upright with 2 inches to spare. Insulating and carpeting is going to be a bit of a pain but slowly slowly catchy monkey.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭aaronosiochain

Best of luck with the conversion. Did you have to weld a supporting frame before fitting the high top?

Can you pm me the details of the fabricator? I’ve got a T4 and standing space would be awesome!

I did not add a subframe because I kept things within the gutters and all the cab roof is intact as well as the back section. I had no intention of putting a bed up there.

I had a look at done deal but the man isn't listing at the moment

. He said he starts up in the summer.

Will put up a few pics of progress so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Hopping in here hope you don’t mind.

i have a T4 camper van with a single swivel captain seat passenger side.

Am looking to put in the double seat.

you didn’t happen to have a double in yours by any chance and looking to get rid or come across anywhere I could find one.

thanks

Ours was nakered and went to the dump. To be honest we found the originals deeply in comfortable and would give us bad backs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,447 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Ah ok , thanks for the reply.

yea I need to add another seat, I don’t have seats in the back, so I was thinking maybe adding a double front swivel seat would be cheaper than getting a rock and roll bed for the back.

You need a swivel base for the double seat which will set you back about €200.00, I am not certain if you could put in a better double seat than the stock ones which at this stage are just worn out and offer little support. Clearances are very tight even with the single seat so the double swivel has to have quite a degree of movement to make it work.

Advertisement