Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Options

Comments

With just a little bit of support this has been achieved. Imagine the numbers if there was safe infrastructure for all schools. Would go a hell of a long way towards solving a lot of congestion

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Very true. Hopefully Millars Lane in Rahoon /Kingston will be resurfaced and lit soon. Funds in place for it. This passes right by GMA.

Is there such a thing as a "School Traffic Warden" in Ireland; whose responsibility is to monitor the approach to the school gates?

Or would this be up to the schools themselves to organise?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,902 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Is there such a thing as a "School Traffic Warden" in Ireland; whose responsibility is to monitor the approach to the school gates?

Yes, many schools have them. They stop road traffic, to enable children who are walking to cross the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

That ring road would revolutionize things.

• Advertisement

Ya have Lollipop Traffic Wardens. Does every school have one? They are employed by the Council right? And often are away from schools like junction of SQR/Circular Road. Was more thinking of somebody who is responsible for overall traffic management for outside the school grounds itself. Does such a person exist who is employed by a School or Council to manage this?

The council recently got 10+ staff for active travel measure development and rollout so I'm guessing something like this would fall under that group of folks. The existing "traffic warden" Mrs B mentions is typically someone who assists the kids to cross the road safely and nothing more.

It was 22 active travel staff but I don't think it would cover that, they "will work across design, communication/community liaison and construction oversight functions" to deliver active travel infrastructure projects.

Anyway, the council haven't taken up the offer yet, they say it'll take years to recruit any new people.

Imagine that it could fall under "Community Liaison"?

As Dacor pointed out earlier in post - the Cyclebus have done amazing things these past two years. Imagine if they started getting a bit more help from the Council. Would really improve the car traffic situation.

I know Knocknacarra National School - the Council put in bollard protectors on the cycle lane / road and resurfaced a section the path from the school to Doire Gheal / White Oaks there a few weeks ago. So they are definitely doing small things around the place. Every bit helps, at same time they have made a bit of mess with an access point to Millars Lane from the Millars Lane Road outside Gaelscoil Mhic Amhlaigh near the Zebra Crossing(about 4/5meters), steps up and down, pain if you have a buggy or bike.Hopefully when its resurfaced they will put in an access point at the Zebra Crossing itself and have a seamless transition

here.

• Advertisement

"Cllr John Connolly (FF) noted that the first quarter of 2021 was when some of these projects were to go to construction, according to a previous timetable."

These cycle schemes seem to be always "coming soon".

John is not wrong. From the same article it says:

"The National Transport Authority (NTA) has approved a raised cycle lane north of Railway Bridge on Doughiska Road South and for a shared street south of the bridge."

Anybody know where this Railway Bridge is?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭sasal

Do they mean the level crossing near the coast road?

Just posting this to take advantage of the new ability to put pictures in posts. It’s not in response to anyhting specific, only the general thread of Galway traffic problems, and may be useful to 3rd parties looking in with no knowledge of Galway geography. Controversial? Probably, but I’d hope the other side would do similar to illustrate their points.

Anyone travelling between here (tourism, business, deliveries etc)…

And here…

must travel through here. It is impossible to travel from 1 to 2 without passing through 3 here. All routes lead from and to 3.

Now to be clear, there is a road called the Dyke road which circumvents this convention, but there’s a problem with using it to travel between west & east…

Anyways, I’m sure there’s more incoming from the usual suspects, have at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,798 ✭✭✭✭zell12

We all know for decades that motor traffic travelling from points S E N must navigate one of Ffrench (Moneen), Joyce, Bodkin, to access Galway

How is stating geographical facts controversial?

And that's why a road has been provided through there...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Genuinely no idea what point you're trying to make. And also they can travel via the N6 and not need to use the Dublin Rd, Moneen or Sean Mulvoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,798 ✭✭✭✭zell12

They still have to go through Bodkin (the N6), as shown.

Btw, have people noticed the land space on both sides of Sean Mulvoy? Buildings are set well-back. Does the Council have plans for more lanes there or something?

• Advertisement

This will make a mess of things for drivers this Christmas. Best to get the shopping done early

• Registered Users Posts: 25,902 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Covid has seen a massive switch to on-line shopping anyways. Retailers are already telling people to shop early due to supply chain / driver issues. And even though restrictions are lifted, there will likely a lot of people who will be voluntarily limiting their interactions through winter, just in case.

So I think that this is likely a better use of resources: I'd rather see the cash spent on building grade-separated lanes for two-wheelers than on paying drivers to take 2/3 empty buses through the city every 15 minutes.

I'd rather see the cash spent on building grade-separated lanes for two-wheelers than on paying drivers to take 2/3 empty buses through the city every 15 mins

Sooner rather than later hopefully

The vote is on Monday and there is a big spin organized for Sunday for folks to show their support, meeting at 11am at the Claddagh

Very surprised that this had unanimous support from all councillors

It doesn't say in the article but I assume this is intended to apply to just public parking and not private. I wonder as well will residents still be allowed some guest parking permits if this goes ahead.

A fair amount of people who work in the city rely on public parking spaces, surely provision should be made for people who aren't residents but work here. Would make much more sense to have a permanent park and ride sorted before getting rid of city centre parking.

Maybe the city councillors should lead by example and get rid of mileage for themselves and their staff parking

It's really lacking in detail so it's a bit difficult to say much about it.

There are plans to remove all on street parking spaces though so maybe it's part of that

The unanimous support does seem strange. They're so protective of parking at other times. Could it be that they know there are legal reasons it can't happen so they just want to attach their name to the request? Would be interesting to know what national legislation stops them from deciding this locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Parking at the Cathedral and the Dyke Road is almost never completely full so there is capacity to do this immediately without a Park & Ride, although a Park & Ride would be useful.

Definitely free parking for Council staff does give the senior staff a narrow first hand view of the transport issues in Galway. If you never travel by bus, foot or bike then your natural focus will be on problems experienced by car drivers, to the exclusion of other road users. I note though that there seems to be infighting within the City Council over car parking spaces. There have been a few FOI requests from some staff members unhappy that they didn't get parking spaces.

I am somewhat surprised, Councilors in the Central Ward get requests on this all the time by residents of said streets but for the other two wards?

The Council Executive will hate it though, it reduces revenue streams for them as they lose that P&D parking that is spreading further out from the City Centre.

Lots of streets in the City should be for residents only car parking. Upper and Lower Canal Road spring to mind as obvious examples.

• Advertisement

Actually I'd be of the opinion that the sooner all on street parking spaces are removed, the better Galway will be for it.

As for residents parking on the street, why are we giving up public space for this, it's ludicrous in the extreme.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement