Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

If we can be more ruthless in front of goal we'll go very far and do well this season, good result and bar a mad few minutes before half time a good performance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Genuinely one of the worst films I've ever seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

True that it's definitely preferable to have all our players be super fit and super robust - I just don't think we're in as bad a position in midfield as is being made out at times on here.

In the circumstances you set, why would we be bringing on Milner or Ox? I could see us bringing one of them on if we're ahead and just seeing it out (like tonight), but if we're chasing it and Naby is wrecked, you'd expect to see Thiago, or Jones, or Taki or Jota come on.

We've plenty of options for different circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Just watched 1st AC goal again, TAA is absolutely pathetic at getting back, leaving his whole side open, good job he's unplayable going forward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Good. Makes sense after so long without a competitive match. Hopefully he can build on that with a cameo at the weekend, especially if we're already up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭giveitholly

And then hopefully get 90 minutes against Norwich

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I assume it's tactical as when we're in possession he's ahead of the midfield a large chunk of the time, if he's expected to be so far forward so often expecting him to be track back most of the time is unrealistic. In comparison to Robertson, who doesn't seem to have the same freedom.

I'm happy with how it is as he's so creative in the final third for us. Let the midfielder's and centre backs cover for him and let him go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Anyone know where I can watch a replay of the full match?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

To think that Milan were 4th seeds in the group. We're going to be in for some ride this year in the champions league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Good win in the end but can't keep missing so many chances happy with the 3 points but it should have been a more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

They'll be keen to make amends next time out when they play Atletico.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

That's fair but it's the "token press" he does that puts him out of the game with a simple pass that drives me mad.

He should realise he's too late, hold off even though he's the closest player and block a passing lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭JimboJones99

Jesus I have really missed these European nights, what an atmosphere.

Sensational from us in the most part last night. Great pressing, intensity, fluid movement. Cant be faulted. The only problem with us when we are in that mood is that it looks like they can get a bit cocky. Like they almost expect the second goal to come and think we don't have to bother to defend because we are so good someone is going to get the ball back.

I wouldn't change us for anything though. We cant expect the reward without taking the risk. I have been critical of TAA in the past but now I am just going to accept that there are times he will be caught out of position as that is the counter of what he gives us up the pitch. I think we just need to trust the highline and accept at times. In particular for the first goal last night Gomez followed the runner rather than leaving him go. Understandable given it was his first game in nearly a year but the more game time himself, Matip and Van Dijk get the more they will be in tune to stop the counter attacks that inevitably will happen with TAA so far forward, especially as he now seems to be tucking in a bit more central than usual also.

Other than than that Hendo/Fan very good especially when needed most. I am guiltier than most of taking Salah for granted. What a player, great work rate and covering last night. You don't see that from most of the other great attacking players in the world. We are very lucky to have him and hopefully that new contract will be sorted out sooner rather than later.

But by God its great to have the proper European nights back with the fans!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,612 ✭✭✭eigrod

It was noticeable that Trent was much more restricted in the 2nd half than the 1st. Clearly a change of approach at ht.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Joe Don Dante

Fabinho is different gravy lads, absolutely World class. thank fcuk he's ours

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Looking back at last night its brilliant 3 points & could be vital

We play Porto next away id go absolutely full strength

If we win there we would be 5 point ahead of Porto

With AC & Madrid playing each other we could be 5 or 6 ahead of AC or 5 or 4 ahead of Madrid ,

Lots of if ,buts & maybe's but beat Porto away & we will be well on the road to getting out of the group

If you look at the bigger picture his press is normally fine because the two CB are ready to clean up after him, But with VVD missing last night the line and shape of the back four was off in vital moments

Klopp is well aware of Trent's weak point but set's us up to handle any issues they cause,

Just last night Gomez was a little unsure & nervous to be brave & hold his line ,which is normal for his first game in nearly a year,

It's a few weeks ago yet and anything can change with injuries etc but yes I would be aiming towards a full strength side too, for a number of reasons.

It's still early in the group and no time for making wholesale changes with rests yet. It's important to get wins on the board as you said, and there's also the incentive with Atletico & Milan playing each other. Also Porto's result away at Atletico would suggest that they are no pushovers.

With the League Cup taking place next midweek, that is where the wholesale changes will be IMO. A midweek off for Alisson, Robbo, Trent, VVD, Matip, Hendo, Fabinho, Mane, Salah etc. With the timing of the next CL GW the week after, the game is on a Tuesday night, with the Man City game on Sunday so there should be good recovery time there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Since he didn't go full strength last night there is no chance away to Porto with Man City up the following weekend even if there is 5 days between the games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

To me it looked like his side was the target for Milan, when they eventually got on the ball they knew to expose the right side of our defense. Id imagine that was addressed at half time and hence TAA looked a bit more reserved in the 2nd half. He pretty much played as an extra front man in the 1st half tbf!!

I agree with all the above,

Plus we have Brentford on the Saturday before Porto so could afford a few changes in that one ,

I know its very early in the season but the next two league game's are absolute vital we want to be going into that City game with the maximum amount of points possible ,

The City game could be a real statement game from us a chance to show the world we are back & a chance to put down a massive marker to the rest to the contenders ,

Also City have Chelsea away - PSG away - Us away that's a massive week for them

Oh the weekend i reckon we will see Konate & VVD together

Probably see Thaigo & Mane come back into the team ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

I reckon we'll see Gomez and VVD together this weekend with Matip rested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

I just looked at the BT highlights package of our match there this morning. Did anyone else see Rio's and Owen breakdown of the goals in the post match analysis? They produced a freeze frame which highlighted Gomez about 4 yards behind the defensive line and Rio was trying to point out that he should have dropped deeper again and called out to Matip to do the same (he was basically blaming poor communication between the center-halves for the goal)! WTF, surely its up to Gomez to quickly realise whats going on and step up back into the defensive line and Rebic would be a few yards offside if he did!

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭BobHopeless

Our conversion rate per chance must be pretty low tbh. I suppose one day it will click and we'll see the team run up 8 or 9 goals in a match.

Love to see Konate given his chance with Virgil tbh. For me Gomez is 4th choice now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

Thought Matip, Fab, Henderson and Salah were brilliant last night. Actually thought Gomez had a good game apart from the two goals. Rust obviously a factor.

It is obvious that teams will target the right side of our defence with Trent playing so far up the pitch. We are very vulnerable to quick transitions down that side, especially if the offside line is not on point. Also makes it difficult for Fab and Henderson to get back and help out. It's a pet peeve but I hate to see a team attacking and getting in behind down Trent's side and him jogging and not busting a gut to get back.

Probably because Gomez is English so he blames Matip

The whole issue came from the very first ball to Rebic, Gomez should be brave & step up but he dropped as you say way to deep & form there the defensive line was a mess ,

Matip is used to VVD standing firm so he didn't realise that Gomez was so far behind him, its then that Gomez should be screaming at him to drop , so it was a double F*Ck up form Joe ,

I think he will & I reckon him and Joe play against Norwich in the cup

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Its a recurring theme with Trent, his jogging back. On one occasion in the second half Milan broke down his side, Salah sprinted back to cover him and in the end blocked a pass infield. Think the ball broke to Fab and we started again...at the end of this Trent was just casually jogging into the picture, well after the fact.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Hmm I think Trent had got forward, Salah lost the ball, and it was on Salah to get back and cover given their positions at that moment, if I'm remembering the right moment. I'm pretty sure thats the system working as intended.

• Administrators Posts: 54,113 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

No footballer is going to be told to bomb forward and sprint back every time the ball is lost, full backs especially where you're usually running the length of the field. If he did this he'd be busted after an hour.

TAA's defensive issues are just down to his style of play rather than laziness. The reward outweighs the consequences 9 times out of 10.

But the first goal the other night did come from him trying to do a little flick through someone's legs on the touchline. We lost the ball, they got possession back in our half and goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Usually either Fabinho or the right side midfielder drops into the space to cover for TAA.

Well it is Palace next and we know what happened there last season. And then after it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

Wouldn't surprise me to see Klopp build two backup / rotation CB pairings of VVD/Gomez and Matip/Konate with VVD/Matip being the mainstay but the others used in rotation as needs be or opportunities arise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

if you want a super defensive trent you wont have a super offensive trent, he's worth his flaws,any team would have him,any.

I think at times it's not Trent's fault its the systems ,

Some times he simply can't cover the ground to be in a defensive positions but i don't think Klopp even wants him to ,

Think about it every game see Klopp screaming at people for not doing what is asked or expected , I'v have very rarely if ever seen him screaming at Trent for being to far forward or for not being at RB ,

• Advertisement

Yea I know that's the plan, but they can't fill it always, particularly in instances where we are in possession and lose it, then the opposition transition quickly with Fab and Hendo out of position. Robertson busts a gut in both directions. I dont expect trent to be sprinting every time but if he is the one to give it away he should make more effort atleast.

To be fair your comparing Trent with probably the most energetic full back in world football , Robertson is an absolute machine

Also with the frequency that Trent is looking to create , play killer passes and cross field balls he needs to be fresher in the mind,

Again I am not talking every instance. I am talking about instances where he gives the ball away himself or when he is the closest player to close down or tackle an opponent in possession yet can still be seen cantering back. He cant make every sprint back but he can make a few rather than none. He still has to have defensive duties. Hendo wont always be sitting covering that space behind him. It just isn't a good look for a full back to be constantly seen trundling back while all his teammates are trying to get back and close down around him.

He is a young lad so should be ok to make sprints in both directions. Most modern fullbacks can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

38 k at city game last night ,and pep pleading for more fans to attend at weekend... A truly fake big club.

I see Gini is getting stick in the French papers for the start of his time at PSG

Its mad because the things the say he is suffering with are all things he excelled at with us, Breaking a press & ball retention ,

I wouldn't swap TAA for any right back in the world tbh.

Actually pathetic that. I suppose the owners can hide a lot of things but they can't magic up fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

He a systems player, Klopp knew how to best use him. I'm sure Poch does too, but he likes a pressing style and you can't play that when your 3 forward players don't do any hard running.

My massive criticism of Gini was and I see the same complaint on twitter, is so many attacks break down over him and he passed the ball back too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Poor Gini, must be some shock, previously had Salah, Mane and Firmino closing down the opposition's back four constantly and Firmino dropping into midfield when needed to now watching Messi and Neymar let players pass around them under no pressure and run off them untracked.

I'm convinced one of the English teams or Bayern will roll PSG in the knockouts, they have nearly three passengers out of possession (to be fair Mbappe isn't near as bad as the other two), you can't get away with that.

So true ,

Even last night Kessie who is normally brilliant looked absolutely bamboozled in the first half with amount of pressure he came under, No way he was used to receiving the ball facing forward and having two forwards form behind chasing him down ,

When we are on it like the first half last night we just drown teams ,

• Advertisement
Advertisement