Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ivermectin discussion

Comments

I was talking about melatonin this evening (which you butted into) and havent mentioned ivermectin in days.

This conversation is just bonkers and tiresome.

I think you need to calm down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭snowcat

Im an Engineer. Im not a proponant of Ivermectin but i would not discount it either. I am also vaxxed but would also have a healthy scepticism of pharma companies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,827 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

The title of the thread and the continuous griftiness around Ivermectin has tainted the talk of what may be other valid treatments that appear on this thread. I think the Ivermectin conversation is basically at a standstill until it gets approved by a trusted authority (EMA, FDA, MHRA, PFSB) or some decently run double blind trial results appear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

Well the thread is about Invecterim and the vast majority of this thread has been about this particular drug. Also promoting unproven cures/treatments for a dangerous disease when a effective treatment is freely available ie multiple different approved vaccines is very deceptive and unethical. I wouldn't call myself angry more frustrated. The tactics used (whether knowingly or unknowingly)to promote unproven/ineffective remedies are very similar are very similar to other scams/conspiracy theories etc such as drinking bleach, flat earth, MMR causes autism etc.

I do note however when requested for an example of Invecterim (which this thread is about) being approved you've changed the subject.

Im not saying either everyone needs to take ivermectin in ireland, but Im watching with interest how this pans out.

My advice to anyone is take a vaccine when available, but there is more adjuvants than that.

Being healthy, good diet exercise, certain vitamins and supplements might help also.

I also believe people should be daily using mouthwash like the Japanese do.

We havent had a proper pandemic in 100 hundread years so we have a lazy attitude abit to good cold and flu hygiene.

• Advertisement

I agree it would be good to re-title thread (i.e Theraputics for Covid )if that were possible.

Im kinda bored with ivermectin, it may never be a covid treatment in ireland.

Its not a treatment in ireland for covid.

I couldnt get it nor you if you tried.

We had discussed it previously.

Im not promoting it nor do I think its an especially dangerous drug for animal use only.

Im just watching the story unfold just like you.

What about changing thread title to "Theraputics for Covid"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,125 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

There's a clear line between following the science and waiting for new treatments to be approved, and promoting/self-prescribing unapproved treatments on the basis that the medical/scientific community is excessively cautious and/or corrupted.

I'm surprised recent posts haven't fallen foul of the "no medical advice" rule on boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

So there is nothing on planet earth 🌍, no medication in the entire planet that could be given to slow down or even do anything to this pandemic, nothing on the face of the earth

There are indeed medications that could be given to slow down this pandemic. They are called vaccines. There are also approved antibodies and antivirals, plus steroids have been shown to help with symptoms.

There are also a lot of chancers out there pushing unapproved, unproven treatments for their own extremely questionable reasons. That's where things start to fall apart a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Unicorn Milk Latte

@Woody79, in your relentless attempts to get people to poison themselves with various snake oil variants, you may have overlooked Iodine:

Ineffective, dangerous, popular among antivaxxers - what's not to like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

But not believed to be of any great use even in Japan, more likely to be a placebo effect if any. It also pushes people down the road of even more quackery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,153 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Thread should be renamed.

Suggestions ?

" Ivermectin emerges as a pile of twaddle "

Or ...

"Ivermectin merges with various alternative non cures as a distraction from Covid reality " ?

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Unicorn Milk Latte

"Curiosity Cola emerges as a therapeutic for Covid"

"Idiot's guide to Covid treatment snake oil brands"

"Covid and mental health - increase in self harming"

"Covid and mental health - how antivax conspiracy narratives create fear, uncertainty and doubt"

"Covid and mental health - is trying to commit suicide by ingesting Ivermectin a cry for help?"

"Ivermectin emerges as a therapeutic for parasitic intestinal worms"

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭MilkyToast

Betadine mouth wash and nasal spray have been on the market, over the counter, for years. Whether they're effective against SARS-CoV-2 is not known, though I suspect the ongoing Phase 2 trial at the University of Kentucky will shed some light (I don't know if Rolling Stone, that bastion of scientific expertise, will run the results).

It's amazing that we are only now discovering that all these readily-available, previously-considered-safe-over-millions-of-doses, long-standing medicines and other treatments are actually deathly dangerous and only for stupid people—and discovering it at the very moment there is even a suggestion that they may have some effectiveness in the prevention or treatment of Covid-19. Magic.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

A suggestion is no evidence of anything and some would follow the yellow brick road rather than get vaccinated. The WHO and others have been looking at possible repurposing since this started but few have matched up. As always you do a proper trial and show that it works, sharing a link on Facebook is not a trial.

Overdosing on anything is dangerous, a lot of the remedies have known side effects which are acceptable if they're treating someone who's sick and the remedy gives a positive results, everything else is a variation of "live better, get your vitamins".

A lot of people use various mouthwash but they don't use it to ward off SARS-COV2, even though it will kill most of the virus it comes into contact with when you're actively using it, it's effects when you're not using it will be fairly small (similar with the nasal sprays that will probably help for a while).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

The antiviral effects of povidone-iodine have been known for years. I'd have been surprised if it wasn't active against the Covid virus. What's not clear is how you would use this as prophylaxis against Covid (gargle it twice a day until the pandemic ends?) or how it would help someone who's already infected.

• Advertisement

Hmmm the cynical part of my brain is already devising a chewing gum product based on mouth wash and iodine now. The effects of chewing it probably would not be preventative for much longer than - as you both point out above - when you are doing something like actively gargling mouth wash. But the fact chewing gum stays in your mouth a lot longer than mouth wash will make the consumer feel like they have a preventative product for a much longer period of time. You could probably make a tidy little profit off the alternative medicine types who do not think too deeply about their medications - or care much when trials and studies fail to find any benefits.

Anyone want to front up some capital to get it started? I used to work for a company that produced Bubble Gum products so I have some base experience and knowledge already :)

Yes, overdosing on things is dangerous, randomised, placebo controlled studies are hard to come by on short notice in a pandemic situation, and very few of the things that initially show promise will end up being of any use against the pandemic virus. My point is more that the "hUrR DuRr nObOdY EvEr hEaRd oF MoUtHwAsH AnD IvErMeCtIn iS FoR ShEeP" holier-than-though-everybody-but-me-is-dumb posts are lies, whether through intent or ignorance. More so than the "pro" Ivermectin posts, really, since those have by and large acknowledged that Ivermectin has shown promise in some studies but more information is needed.

Not gonna lie, being so "against" a drug that you will actively lie about it on the interwebs is really **** weird, guys, and some of you should give your heads a wobble.

One study that was done with Betadine found that gargling with saline was more effective at reducing instances of the flu. Cite that ****, instead of this "OMG DANGEROUS SNAKE OIL 4 IDIOTS" crap.

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." ~C.S. Lewis

If somebody is trying to sell you mouthwash to fight SARS-COV2, it is snake oil, it's available freely for anybody to buy and use, there doesn't need to be a campaign or website behind it, there won't be a much of a study run because it's not worth doing so (even the deep pocket manufacturers know what the result would be, better dental health and might clear the virus in the mouth while being gargled).

I guess the point of this thread is to look at promising treatments but it has descended into "this one old trick will keep you free of COVID-19(sic)" style clickbait or "the manufacturer doesn't want you to know".

Nobody is trying to sell anything; people are just posting things they think are interesting. But to say there doesn't need to be a campaign behind an effective prophylactic or therapeutic treatment is silly. Let's say, for example, that tomorrow it was discovered that taking three thirty-second gargles of Betadine a day was a 79% effective prophylactic for Covid-19 (it's not, obviously). In what world would you not make that widely known and use it in conjunction with vaccines? Like you seem to think that "be healthy, take your vitamins" is just sooooo obvious it shouldn't need to be said, but that's just a failure of imagination. Plenty of people who've never even thought about vitamin D went out and stocked up when it became apparent that vitamin D deficiency was strongly correlated with more severe disease early in the pandemic. They didn't just intuit that by themselves. They read it or heard it somewhere. And even back then there were some absolute **** clowns jumping over themselves to say that vitamin D was dangerous, as though people were going to start chugging 92392873 IU a day.

Unless you're talking about people just talking about potential therapies etc like we are in this thread? In which case expecting people to stop it is even sillier.

I don't know why you all spend so much time in the thread if it bothers you that much. Just leave it alone. I'll PM you all if there's another suspected horse paste death so you can all come in to laugh about it.

Theres more than a few studies to show real world effects of povidone-iodine on covid.

Theres actually alot less evidence of vitamin d than povidone iodine.

Taking vitamin d if you got covid in the morning would be fairly useless as studies have shown.

You need to be taking it for weeks/months beforehand.

My only logical reason why alot of people and to an extent health authorities are so against early treatments is they must think it will stop people getting vaccinated.

I'm vaccinated but still interested in early treatments.

The two main lads in flccc in USA are vaccinated at their earliest opportunity.

Maybe early treatments will only become more of a thing when almost everyone dieing from the disease is vaccinated.

Its an emotive issue as can be seen on this thread.

Everyone in the first instance should be vaccinated but as the WHO said recently vaccines will not end the pandemic.

It's not an emotive issue; it's a scientific issue. Drooling idiots just allow the media to drag them around by the nose until they end up taking horse paste or trying to pretend on the internet that ivermectin is only ever for sheep. Same kind of idiot. Slightly different temperament.

And yeah, anything that works against Covid is going to be better than taking vitamin D on the day you get sick. The vitamin D thing is just a correlation and could easily be explained by more vitamin D means (generally) more time in the sun which means a more active/healthier lifestyle. I still take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,153 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Povidone iodine is toxic in usual amounts that kill bacteria, haven't heard of antiviral properties until I read those studies that Woody79 posted .

Again I would not like to be relying on it to protect against infection .

And why are you calling people " drooling idiots"? Its uncivil and rude .

This thread is interesting from a purely" what if " POV because so far all that has worked to any degree are vaccines. And they are not the endpoint it appears.

All of these " therapeutics" are not going to prevent infection , but are either placebos or at their very best may help clear an infection faster in those mildly affected .

No harm though as long as people know the difference .

• Advertisement

If emotions didnt come into covid, everyone would get vaccinated.

The virus is just doing its thing, but the world has not been brilliant at coming together to defeat this disease.

Here we are 18 months in and its still killing 10k a day minimum unfortunately.

Advertisement