Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Random EV thoughts.....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

AFAIK in the UK you had to get a connected charger to get the OLEV grant. Doesn't say anything about it staying connected, I imagine quite a few chargers in the UK are about to suffer some permanent network failure

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Sounds to me like typical Sunday Times scare-mongering. I wouldn't trust a Murdoch paper to be transparent and truthful about anything related to the environment. The story says something about WTo regulations which sounds pretty fishy to me.

But honestly why would anyone want to charge a car outside of night rate anyway?

Exactly, this is what night rates are all about, they're trying to encourage usage when there's an abundance of power available

I've seen people drive across town to save 5c per litre so I can't imagine too many people are happy to pay 2-3 times the cheapest rate for electricity

The only folks I could see using daytime charging would be folks who regularly use public charging and the few folks who go through 70kWh or more per day and might still be charging outside the night rate

• Registered Users Posts: 23,505 ✭✭✭✭ted1

the story is nonsense, I suspect it’s more to do with a demand side management deal, that a lazy journalist didn’t understand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

Yeah and public charging is excluded from the supposed ban anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

Was this in the news at some point this year?

That is major for chargers and hubs. 3.6m3 is something. Even the Delta 150kW which is the bulkiest I know is less than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭cannco253

Following on from the Government paper published yesterday.

I wonder who will head up the OLEV?

No complaints about the pace of the eCars rollout in the report from what I can see.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,326 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

When new car prices are being advertised, be it in media or at dealerships, they should have to not only put down the purchase price of the car, but also the expected total cost of ownership of said car over a 2, 5 & 10 year period (based on average mileage etc....), and those total cost of ownership prices should be in big bold font..... front and centre.

2 year figures will probably show price parity between ICE & EV, but once you get to 5 & 10 years, folk will see the savings to be had in an EV.

Dealers will never go for this, so they'd have to be forced into doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,116 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I havent read it all in detail but the summary/recommendations basically say to leave most things exactly as they are until end of 2022 and in the meantime setup a new office within SEAI called OLEV and give them more funding to consider the next steps! 🙄

How long has it taken them to produce this report? 1-2yrs?!

SEAI were well represented in this working group, I suspect.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,968 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I've posted it time and time before, cut and paste the proven Norway model and adapt for Ireland, no more, no less.

The Irish Gov had not implemented proven incentives e.g. free motor tax, and have already withdrawn others years too early given we are clearly in Adoption cycle.

Only word is incompetence, and that will not change given profile of our "electives". A duck with a hammer up it's arse would do a better job.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

Also, look at UK, a £10m commitment per service station for EV charging infrastructure and we barely get that for the entire country

There's a few bright spots, for one thing they actually acknowledge that installing chargers is key to EV uptake. Generally government bodies have been quite happy to wave around the current grants and ignore the flaws with them

I actually think a dedicated EV office would be good, instead of playing pass the buck with a bunch of government departments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

The purchase subsidies available, an SEAI grant and VRT exemption, can amount to €10,000 per vehicle and serve to bring the market selling price of EVs in line with their ICE equivalents. Department of Public Expenditure and Reform (DPER) analysis suggests that subsidising 100,000 EVs, using 2019 levels of supports, would cost the Exchequer between €965 million and €1.23 billion, although some of the supports have since been revised.

10k subsidies is not true as VRT is 7% and the max exemption works for 40k cars after that gets reduced one to one So max VRT exemption is 2.8k add 5k grant and max subsidy is 7.8k quid.

100ks EV expected are something like 40k BEVs and 60k PHEVs. PHEVs have no VRT exemption and the grant is 2.5k So at max BEVs subsidies 312M and PHEVs 150M that's 462M. I didn't take into account the number of compamny cars which have no grant at all. Even though the figures quoted are for 2019 level of support way outdated, the title in the independent still trumpets the highest figure.

I actually think a dedicated EV office would be good

True, I'm not sure the SEAI are the ones that should own that office though as it wont really be an EV office then but just a backdoor to solidify the SEAI's existence and get more funding for themselves. I'm just skeptical of their track record.... lots of paperwork is what they are good at.... maybe I'm being harsh but its my experience of them.

PHEVs should receive zero support, they don't need anything, well past adoption phase.

Concentrate on BEV

More stories on the report

"Tax relief on electric vehicles should be extended beyond the end of this year but the relief should apply only to cars priced less than €40,000, according to proposals from the Tax Strategy Group (TSG).

The Vehicle Registration Tax (VRT) relief of up to €5,000 on electric vehicles is due to expire at the end of 2021. However, the Government advisory group has called for these to be extended beyond this deadline while the current threshold of €40,000 should be reduced to €30,000 from next year.

Currently, the €5,000 VRT relief on electric vehicles begins to taper off from €40,000, ending at €50,000. Under the new proposals, it would mean that a new electric car priced at €30,000 would receive the full €5,000 relief, but new or imported cars priced at €40,000 or more would not benefit from the tax relief."

Will this see a drop in prices next year similar to what happened in the UK, or will the chip shortages/delays keep the prices where they are now or drive them even higher?

Ah that cap is very restrictive, all these cars are mostly brand new models so not going to be cheap and reference to imports a joke as Brexit killed that.

From various media outlets, the chip shortages will extend through to late next year, there's a ten fold difference between an ICE versus an EV in terms of chips apparently which is exasperating the issue

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Not too many options starting under 30k

• Registered Users Posts: 21,938 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Under 30k you either get an outdated leaf, a silly priced Zoe or a chinese car.

Not options I'd reccomend to anyone.

• Advertisement

sub 30k you have the MG, Zoe, eCorsa, e208, so not exactly slim pickings...

I don't know why but I'm really fond of the Zoe ZE50, with its 395km WLTP....

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The Mini also starts under €30k, if the change is anything like the current band from 50k to 40k, then they'll still be decent subsidies between the 30-36 range which covers the entry level model of most available EVs.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,938 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Those cars are only just sub the 30k and that's including the existing grants. If you look at the base price before grants and VRT (ie the book OMSP) they will be over 30k.

And I wouldnt be reccomending anyone buy an outdated zoe or leaf, or a mini with 200km range as their first ev

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

This could push entry level Model 3s up by €5k & no doubt the €5k SEAI grant threshold will lower too, initially probably from €60k to €50k, possibly adding another €5k to model 3 SR+.

We could be looking at €60k for the cheapest Tesla, maybe €55k+ when they are built in Berlin (RHD Model 3 SRs from there are likely 2 years away).

A friend of mine in the U.K. just had a pod point charger installed, and since it’s been in his neighbour is complaining that it’s affecting her TV (which comes via an aerial on the roof).

Anyone any experience of similar? And any possible solution? He said is charger is a smart Pod Point charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

I do remember someone saying they had radio interference on their Zappi charger. ELM maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

Has he switched it off to confirm if has any affect on the neighbour's tv?

Yes, said he switched it off and about 15 minutes later the tv reception improved..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭eagerv

• Advertisement

about 15 minutes later

Well its BS so. If the charge point caused it it would immediately be resolved by turning off the charge point... it wouldnt take 15mins for the interference to dissipate.

Advertisement