Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 year olds able to change gender in Scotland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭AllForIt

This sounds like some kind of X-MEN scenario, where in the movies, some humans have evolved to have special powers, and there ensues a war between the x-men and 'ordinary' people, which is the whole basis of the movies.

And there is a further similarity, because in one of those movies, young X-Men (X-Youth) are gathered together in one scene, where they all reveal their unique special powers to each other. Rather similar to this idea that one has a unique gender as denoted by a unique pronoun to identify their uniqueness, one of a hundred I understand, currently.

Anyway, I don't buy your 'young people see things differently' argument, as if young people see things differently that there is some kind evolution going on. Your friends/acquaintance socialize within a niche circle of friends, perfectly fine (not really unusual at all for a long while), but there's no evolution going on, as your're inferring. At best is it simply the visibility of the the people you have mentioned that's has changed, but nothing more fundamental than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,926 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I don’t think though it was meant to suggest there is any sort of biological revolution going on, but rather social evolution, and still I wouldn’t suggest that they’re all that visible either. They’re still very much invisible in Irish society - some willingly so, as they prefer to fit in with the predominant narrative, and others who feel compelled to do so, just to be able to function in a society which didn’t evolve with them in mind.

I think the whole idea of educating children about other people early in life is precisely to give them an awareness of the fact that they’re not alone in themselves, that there are people just like them out there in the world. Even recently I was reminded of this fact myself when watching interviews with Tim Cook who is gay, Richard Branson who is dyslexic, and Jeff Bezos who had what would have been considered an unconventional childhood at the time.

These are three leaders in business and entrepreneurship and so on, and each one of them, when talking about how they make decisions, they didn’t base their decisions on statistics and science and all the rest of it. They say themselves they went with their gut, or their heart, or what many people would simply refer to as their own instincts.

They’re all also passionate about education and educating children especially and have set up all sorts of funds and initiatives to ensure that children receive an education so that they all have equal opportunities to excel, regardless of their differences. It’s their differences which is the one thing everyone has in common, is what matters in order to build a society which is more inclusive of everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Funnily enough, for all the fearmongering that all these ideas will “confuse” children, that’s providing they live that long 😳

You may have recognized I've never made any kind of fearmongering argument (and I sure you have) and likewise on similar threads in relation to prisons and toilets. I never ever made any argument about the protection of women from transgender people in either spaces. The sports thing is different because objection to that is not about the physical abuse of women by men.

I'm not a woman so I'll let women make the arguments they wish, and I decided long ago to let them speak for themselves. I respect that as a man myself I can't fully understand where they are coming from because I don't have their life experience. Men's toilet facilities don't exist for the protection of men from women, that I do know.

Mine has always been about the wider rightness or wrongness of transgender inclusion in respect of whatever they are asking for.

Equally, my angle here has never been about the 'confusion' of children, but again the rightness or wrongness of recognizing gender fluidity and non-binary as valid identities, equal to the identity of a cis man or a woman, and, whether it is correct policy to teach these identities to children at all in the first place.

The problem is not so much about children being confused, but I do think children and teenagers can be drawn into nonsense that could affect their lives negatively, if they are going to be obsessed about their gender identity, which I've always said it pretty irrelevant. I don't see any purpose for it, just a trait, like eye colour, that isn't 'for' anything, in a non-biological sense. So why obsess about it, ... and why have the state encourage recognition of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,926 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Truthfully I hadn’t actually noticed it until you drew my attention to it but yeah, I’ve always understood you’re coming from a similar place as myself I think in that I’d be of the opinion a lot of this shìt makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever. I really can’t relate to it in any meaningful or sincere way. Personally I think there’s a lot of it has no legitimacy whatsoever, and so on that basis I offer it no legitimacy whatsoever, same as the bathrooms arguments which as far as I’m concerned are a non-issue. That’s me, acting in a personal capacity.

However, I do understand that other people who aren’t me hold ideas and want to promote and share ideas which are of value to them, and I understand that’s one of the pain in the face aspects of living in a democratic society - I accept that everyone is of equal status in law, at least since 2015 anyways when people who are transgender were given legal recognition and everyone in Irish society gained an extra benefit they didn’t have before - protection from unlawful discrimination on the basis of their gender identity. That’s at least one good reason why the State should be encouraged to recognise gender as part of a person’s identity in the same way as there are nine other characteristics of identity recognised in Irish law, and in Scottish law too, though it’s worded slightly differently as legal recognition of the protected characteristic of gender transition.

I don’t care for the language used or the politics behind it, I would object to being compelled to use politically correct speech in any form, because I see it as attempting to deprive a person or people of something which is as fundamental a part of their identity as the idea of gender - their own language. But that too cuts both ways - I cannot seek to deprive anyone else of their language either, and as migraine-inducing as the personal pronouns, non-binary, agender, transgender, cisgender, tucute or transmedicalist stuff is for me personally, I have the choice to completely ignore the individual who is coming at me with that sort of stuff. I have the choice to bite my lip and if questioned on it, politely explain that I simply do not share their beliefs.

It’s true that children and indeed adults are often susceptible to all sorts of complete and utter nonsense, but I’ve always taken the opposite view of yours that rather than the idea of being exposed to an ideology leading anyone down a dangerous path which would have a detrimental impact on their lives, I’d prefer that people are exposed to all sorts of ideas from an early age and trust that children aren’t stupid, unlike a lot of adults I know who lived sheltered lives, and it’s not that they can’t fathom a belief beyond their own, it’s that they don’t want to.

Worse though, are those adults who aren’t just satisfied that they don’t share a belief and don’t want a belief imposed upon their own children, but they claim that their concerns extend to other people’s children too, as though they know best for other people’s children, which by no small coincidence, coincides with their own world views and values and their vision of society with themselves at the centre as though the world should revolve around them. It really doesn’t get any more narcissistic navel-gazing than that, and that’s why I’m never particularly concerned about children and teenagers, but rather what concerns me are adults who seek to impose their ideas on other people who don’t share their ideas and have no wish to pretend as though they do.

They're no niche circle!

That is I believe quite a regular group of friends. My own cousin, I'm from a small town, is a trans man, and has quite an 'eclectic' bunch of friends.

Things are changing and the younger generation do have a different attitude and beliefs then the older generation.

There are no rules when it comes to gender or sexuality, it is much freer and fluid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Sounds more like a group of gay friends who all self identify as something else for the cool label effect ,

I'm a trans woman and I'll only be dating gay men and other trans women ,aka gay men ,the same for being non binary and inclusive of trans dating but will either only ever date gay men or lesbians but there not gay there non binary ,the same for pansexual were not attracted to physical traits were only interested in a persons intelligence but again they will only ever date gay men or lesbians but they aren't gay .

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

Yeah the Pansexual thing specifically is a load of absolute horseshit - it’s basically a bisexual fluffed over with some nonsense about “loving the person”.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

I'm sure there is a coherent point in there somewhere, but I struggle to find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Also changing to actually be allowed to express themselves outside the so-called social norms.

I find the x-men comparision interesting, given that the major premise of the movies is young people being persecuted for trying to be themselves in a world that constantly tells them they have no right to exist.

"So, Bobby.... have you tried NOT being a mutant?"

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 Manky O Toole

Men in the 1950s: I'm so happy I married my childhood sweetheart

Men in the 2020s: I hope my girlfriend is actually a girl

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭circadian

Great to see the usual suspects that don't get it making no attempt at understanding these things.

What I find particularly odd is how strongly people who make disparaging comments about those they don't understand while at the same time it has little to no effect on their day to day lives.

What is there to get? We've degenerated to the point where liberals think encouraging children to take medication and mutilate themselves is wonderful and progressive.

I mean full credit for backing up the other posters point there!

I'm not sure what encouragement there is, certainly no medication involved and not really a liberal thing either (plenty of trans conservative people too). Of course just a tiny bit of research would show any any of this, but its easier I guess to go making cheap jokes on the internet.

You're encouraging young children to fcuk themselves with this gender bs but you don't care cos you get to feel all warm and fuzzy. But hey good for you, you've won.

Takes the ball and runs!

I guess that's one opinion, clearly based on assumption.

But tbh - I am sick and tired arguing with complete ignorance. If you actually cared about the children before using the "think of the children" argument you would do some good by actually trying to learn about this topic a bit before diving in there.

That's possibly the vaguest most all-purpose comment I've ever read on boards.ie!

I know its a daily mail article and all that, but please furnish us with evidence of this. It sounds like the ramblings of the crazy flat earth guy that keeps putting up posters about absurd stuff (and infowars for some reason) around my way.

Isn't it exhausting being this outraged without actually having any solid evidence for the outrage?

Infowars that's a new one 😂

• Advertisement

Tell me about it, the 1776 posters around the middle of Dublin make no **** sense whatsoever but like, he latches to EVERYTHING on the right wing/conspiracy scifi world.

Your not exactly Making any sense either .

But this identity politics isn't a right wing conspiracy theory , we've seen it time and time again , quick quick let's push this on to kids to make an absolute tiny minority of people feel good about their identity/sexual orientations ,

There is absolutely no need to bring this in to preschools or primary schools ,there is absolutely no need for early years educators to socially transition two and half to four years old, who can't even tie a shoe lace never mind gender identity politics

I have seen nothing that shows that this is actually happening. I'm on a PTA of a national school and have a child in preschool. No one is talking about anything close to that. Nothing.

When you say, "there is absolutely no need for early years educators to socially transition two and half to four years old", do you actually think this is what is happening?

This is what were talking about in this thread ,

Being on a parents committee why would you ?

Answers my question, thank you.

Therein lies the problem: what we're talking about in the thread bears no resemblance to what's actually happening. The Daily Mail made up the bit saying "without their parents consent" (as well as a few other things) and you've believed it - that they're actively transitioning preschool kids AND implying that parents committees wouldn't know about it!! - THERE'S your conspiracy right there!

Answers my question, thank you.

Take a ticket please .....

Have you any actual evidence of it happening? Anything at all beyond a Daily Mail shitrag story?

• Advertisement

Here's a thought, instead of encouraging adults, teenagers, and now very young children to "transition" why not give them therapy and help them accept their bodies and who they are?

I mean you don't tell an anorexic girl to keep starving herself, you try to help accept her body the way it is.

Advertisement