Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike Recommendation €3-4k budget

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

The newer Giant/Liv colours are really nice, the photographs or mock ups on the site don't do them any justice at all. Last years Defy had a purple colour, that changed in the light to a black, then back to purple, then to a pink/red colour. Local shop stocks them and says lot won't order them from the pictures but when people call in and see the colours in the flesh they get a lot more interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,860 ✭✭✭fat bloke

CramCycle wrote: »
    My co worker one is a purple fade and it is quite nice, it looks nothing like those pics in real life.

Well, to be fair, I did take that picture in real life! :D. Cyclesuperstore usually have the full Giant panoply on display and that entire rack of Livs screams ordinary in comparison to the other bikes around. Mind you the "gents" range is also gone a bit dark and brooding for '21.

I will say however, for as long as you own it, everytime you go to wash your bike you'll clap yourself on the back for having the good sense to buy a dark coloured one!! :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Co workers is probably 2019, it looks far brighter than your pics, maybe thats the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭arsebiscuits82

14 weeks later and still no bike! Zero contact from dealer other than me calling in and asking. Very disappointed. I'd be happier if I was told day one it was going to take 3-4 months to come in. I'd have waited or went for a different bike.
    Had visions of me out on my new ride in this weather, be winter at this rate!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,784 ✭✭✭✭dahat

14 weeks later and still no bike! Zero contact from dealer other than me calling in and asking. Very disappointed. I'd be happier if I was told day one it was going to take 3-4 months to come in. I'd have waited or went for a different bike.

Worldwide supply chain gone to pieces & only going to get worse.

Waiting on a wheelset myself & not holding out any hope for it this summer unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭setanta74

You are not alone. I ordered a bike similar price range in January and was told I'd have it by Easter. Virtually no communication from dealer who seems to know less about a delivery date each time I follow up. So disappointing. No point having a decent bike arrive in October when winter season hits.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I was in the market for a new bike last September. I was told by most shops that I’d be lucky to get a bike by March. So instead, I ordered a frame set and built up a bike myself.

07Lapierre wrote: »
    I was in the market for a new bike last September. I was told by most shops that I’d be lucky to get a bike by March. So instead, I ordered a frame set and built up a bike myself.

As did I (no sh1t? says you :D)
    But that avenue is closed now too. Shops won't sell framesets and nowhere has groupsets :(

Thankfully there are tonnes of lovely bikes on donedeal - fully built, well depreciated and ready to rock!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭gn3dr

fat bloke wrote: »
    As did I (no sh1t? says you :D)
    But that avenue is closed now too. Shops won't sell framesets and nowhere has groupsets :(

Thankfully there are tonnes of lovely bikes on donedeal - fully built, well depreciated and ready to rock!! :)

Just for my own curiosity, why won't shops sell framsets?

gn3dr wrote: »
    Just for my own curiosity, why won't shops sell framsets?

Because they either don't have them or if they do, they'd rather sell them as full builds. Even online now it's very difficult to find higher end framesets in stock. But even if you do find one, unless you already have a groupset, wheels and finishing kit, you're going to struggle to source all that as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Cona44

Would it be safe to assume that its best now waiting for 2022 bikes at this stage? On the market for an Aero bike myself..Giant Propel is lovely and I would prob bite if it was in front of me.

Bikes and Turbo trainers too! ;)

Cona44 wrote: »
    Would it be safe to assume that its best now waiting for 2022 bikes at this stage? On the market for an Aero bike myself..Giant Propel is lovely and I would prob bite if it was in front of me.

22 at least I'd say. I was talking to a distributor who was telling me that lead times on all sorts of stuff is well over a year.

The good news about Propels though is that they sold well so you could definitely pick up one of those second hand if you keep an eye out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Because they either don't have them or if they do, they'd rather sell them as full builds. Even online now it's very difficult to find higher end framesets in stock. But even if you do find one, unless you already have a groupset, wheels and finishing kit, you're going to struggle to source all that as well.

In the case of my LBS, they have framesets, just few in my size, bar one that he keeps mentioning that I don't want (nothing wrong with it, just don't like it).

However the suppliers won't give them frames. He has groupsets ready to go, and wheels. But the suppliers won't ship Framesets only and are waiting on Shimano and SRAM to supply them with groupsets.

Don't be shy of looking around on donedeal, adverts and here though. Fat bloke got himself a lovely Canyon frame, and I got myself a Genesis Volare that is a bike for life really on here, and an exceptionally well maintained Argon 18 Kryton X road which is going to be a bit of novelty for me when built up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

There are bikes out there and even good deals (both new and second hand) - you just need to shop around and not be set on one model (which is normally how I would choose a bike in the past)

If building up - I'd advise double checking supply of parts before buying the frame. I was waiting until earlier this month for a GRX rear derailleur for a bike I built over the Christmas holidays, and even then it was with 20 in-stock alerts set-up. Things like brake hoses can also be difficult to find

07Lapierre wrote: »

Was worth the click to see the cute dog!!!!!!

Got an update this morning from the dealer, bike is showing as due in in the next month. It's a start at least.

Nudged them for a bit of a goodwill gesture over the delay and was told no chance. I was only looking for bottle cages, not hundreds off the price.

Happy I'm near the end of the process, but if I'd have known it was going to take this long, I'd have gone for the Wilier which was in stock in my size at the time I was ordering.

Happy but dissapointed at the same time..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭griffin100

I was in Revolve in Gorey this week and he some nice Trek Edmonda and Domaine’s in.

This website is good for showing what Trek dealers are likely to have stock in - https://www.trekbikes.com/ie/en_IE/store-finder/

Thinkbike also seems to have a good selection in stock.

Well I finally got the bike. Have managed to squeeze in 2 50k cycles and very happy so far. I have a few things to tweak poisition wise, but my god it's a beaut!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Conjack76

Place in Swords stocking KTM bikes , Austrian brand - see they are the UCI WT as well, anyone know much about them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

KTM is Slovakian I think. Also, from what I know they are mainly a motorbike firm that also makes pedal bikes.

I had a look at one of their gravel bikes, it was one of the few available tbh and I considered it but I suppose one thing that held me back was that I found it hard to get information on the bikes, they arent widely owned in UK or Ireland from what I can see, there was none of those facebook groups that you get with other brands. And the KTM website/ info wasnt good at all.

Still though, shop itself seems very decent.

What site were you looking at? Their site looks as good info wise as any other brand albeit a bit on the slow side. I've seen 2 lads with similar ones to this around my way. I'd not say no to throwing my leg over one.

KTM are great bikes.

Good enough for the pro peloton (B&B Hotels team). Then surely good enough for the likes of ourselves!

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭ARX

No idea about their bikes, but their motorbikes are fabulous.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Fair enough, that was just my experience - from memory, the shop was stocking a previous years model and it was no longer featured on the website.

To be honest I was up in Swords and decided to have a wee look, interested in upgrading later in the year - seen the brand , wasn't overly aware of them - they had a few ALTO's in stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Jonesy101

Your always going to want carbon wheels so pay the extra now. no need for an extra pair of alloys in the garage. for the €3999 you get wheels worth 1000 and a groupset thats around 500 more too.

Giant Propel has fully integrated cables which looks awesome, and has aero handle bars and stem which also looks savage.

If I was getting a biachi I think the ones with the curved top bar look way better than the straigt bar.

A Vitus from chainreactioncycles you get a €8000 bike for about €3-4k. The components are class. but you have to deal with getting it from UK

That Wilier is beautiful! BMC is pretty cool too.

Would you consider a bike that youre able to change out to 30mm+ tyres? so that you can be a aero roadie one day and then use it for slight gravel and say a gael force? The Propel wouldnt have enough tyre clearance. And then disc brakes you dont have clearance problems either. Mtbs been using discs for 20 yrs so not really a fad.

Maybe a Domane is a better option than Madone?

• Advertisement
Advertisement