Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post returning packages from outside the EU-See 1st post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,640 ✭✭✭micks_address

yes its painful... in fairness sending from an post seems no issues.. they print the label and attach at the post office.. even if you have already addressed.. issue is coming the other way... pain in the backside... blame brexit though i suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 20,926 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

American exporters may not know about this stuff. But the American government expects all foreign countries to comply with the system for parcels incoming. On Page 15 here they identify the very same problems that are being reported on the thread.

https://www.uspsoig.gov/sites/default/files/document-library-files/2020/RISC-WP-20-010.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭rf4c

I've been accused of using emotive language like "victims" of An Post.

Please don't start asking for "proof" and "evidence" as if we were in a court of law! We're all part of a community of individuals

with a common interest in a particular subject. We come here expecting and deserving our words to be respected and accepted except where

a glaring untruth or contradiction can be clearly shown.

"victims" of An Post is a very valid description - I know of one case where a medical device not available in the country was returned and created a week of grave concern and quite traumatic levels of pain for a patient. I know of two others where "non essential" medicines were undelivered. The situationswere not dangerous but still resulted in considerable discomfort.

My comment about Mr. McRedmond was not to target him personnaly (I thought I already made that clear!) but to point out that the eventual solution to this problem would lie in focusing attention on individuals (CEO, Upper management, politicians) who stand to lose if they don't do something. As individuals, they have rights to their own private lives uninhibited.

As for "bullying" I'm fascinated to know who I'm supposed to be bullying. The person who wrote this either doesn't know, or choses to omit, that while there are some issues in other EU countries, they are mostly for different reasons.

Yes of course there are many small sellers failing to learn and exercise the new rules of sending to the EU, but please don't try to normalise the current situation and claim it's NOT An Post - that's just being silly!

In the main, senders from the UK who have taken the time to observe the new rules are tradingnormally with the EU, except Ireland - FACT

• Registered Users Posts: 12,305 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Just had someone in Holland tell me they are having same problem over there with stuff from outside eu being sent back.

Also someone in Belgium with the same problem but it's only with the postal service.

He said courier companies are delivering as normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 hammerheart

A month or so on from the return of my mail to Japan and An Post haven’t done anything to change or help the situation. Bad look for them.

i re-shipped it with Yamato transport who will forward it to UPS for delivery here. I just hope UPS don’t hand it over to An Post..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 RollingSun2000

Are you seeing my replies to you?

I explained Yamato transport (I suspect it was the seller's choice to use them locally). I'm glad you could get UPS to deliver it to you. I doubt you will have any problems getting past the sorting office debacle.

But why didn't you use Blackship? They are pretty much the same thing as AddressPal. Might be cheaper than UPS too.

===

As for me, I have a third package now sitting in the sorting office for the past week.

To add to that, my forth package arrived yesterday, but tracking didn't even say it landed into Ireland. It went straight to the customs fee notification:

Your item is in Ireland. A customs charge has been applied and details have been sent to you. You can pay the fee on our website, or at your local Post Office.

I'm a little worried about this. I didn't receive a text message or email because my contact details aren't on the package. I guess I will have to wait for them to mail me the little card with my reference number. I'm kinda worried that while that is on its way, they will think I don't want to pay the fee and return to sender. I'm also worried that if I do eventually pay the fee, they will return it anyway. 😩

• Registered Users Posts: 30 hammerheart

Apologies, I wasn’t checking past pages as this thread is getting so long, just giving my own experience for others.

Thanks for the lengthy reply. I did actually learn of blackship when I was searching alternatives, but it wasn’t an option for the seller. Neither was Fedex, or any other legacy couriers. He told me Japan Post would not attempt redelivery as a rule.

I noticed in your post you said Yamato is only available in Japan - I’m not sure what the situation is exactly, due to the language barrier, but it seems that he has some arrangement with Yamato to pass it to UPS. That’s as much as I know. I will report back here if and when..

I noticed on the Japan Post site, it says if you handwrite the invoice it may not be delivered. My failed EMS was printed, and still returned.

this time however it’s handwritten, lol. So will be interesting to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,926 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

If someone googled they would find very little information pointing to a major problem in Ireland. They might find this thread, with a few dozen contributors. And a few newspaper articles. From what I can see those articles were prompted by the campaign being directed on this thread.

So if nothing much comes up on online searches about similar problems abroad, that is not proof that those problems do not exist. I am sceptical of those who claim to have detailed knowledge about what is happening to parcels all around Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,305 ✭✭✭✭blade1

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Mattie500

UK now being outside the EU combined with the change to the €22 limit is the crux. An Post are not equipped to deal with the volume but in any event importing from outside the EU is being targeted. It is being made much more difficult so people will just go with EU suppliers. An Post’s attitude seems to indicate that if it doesn’t go straight through electronically then it goes back. They won’t manually intervene for the €3.50. Some businesses might not have an alternative and are being caught up with the thousands of individuals buying for personal use. I don’t see a blanket amnesty happening given this is an “EU Market” protection exercise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,448 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

MOD- This new site is a bloody nightmare to moderate. I split dxhound2005's post off because we already have a thread about the change with the €22 rule, but the system has deleted it as I tried to move it.Apologies to dxhound. Please keep the topics separate, I have asked before. If not, from now on I'll just delete rather than spending my life faffing around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Seanachai

This is the reply I got from the American supplier when I asked them if they will fill out a customs declaration for future purchases.

"Thanks but no. The commercial invoice we include is typically more than sufficient for international deliveries to all countries.

We do not customarily complete a Customs form for our shipments.

Again please just let us know if you are unable to retrieve your package"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

My friend sent Tenso the taric codes and resent it again, tracking shows its being sent back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Sconsey

Such a shambles, my parcel sat in AnPost depot for over a week, they invoiced me for the customs which I paid immediately and now the package is being returned. Took half a day to find out that they made a mistake invoicing me for the customs, but it is now up to me to chase-up getting a refund.

What really annoys me is they clearly have enough inforation to calculate the customs tarrif, they have received the payment of the tarrif, but they still will not deliver the package.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭deezell

Don't forget that the €44 includes the post and packaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 MrCouperin

So my package has been sent off by FedEx, with a couple of extra watches thrown in for good measure, so I'll see next week what happens with VAT and all that.

It might be of interest to others here who buy from Japan that ZenMarket are IOSS registered now, so from the 22nd they'll charge you VAT before your packages are shipped (I think). I found out too late to have this apply to my package, though. I imagine other proxy services will get IOSS registration too, probably.

Does anyone know if packages with an IOSS number will get through without a TARIC code?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

No, you will still need a TARIC to identify what is in the parcel. IOSS just states they are registered to pay VAT into the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

Exact same situation with me. Just keep emailing that eComm email address requesting your refund. I forwarded the email confirming my payment and requests the refund. My email never was acknowledged (aside from the automatic response) but I kept emailing, contacting Twitter chat, Facebook etc. and 3 weeks later my refund was in my account with no notification. It's incredibly frustrating, so best of luck with it.

A little recap and update on my packages.

TL;DR - An Post seem to be randomly picking and choosing which packages to apply customs and VAT to and which to send back.

I had 4 packages on their way from the same seller:

• Package 1: September 3, notification on tracking that it was being sent back
    • Package 2: September 7, notification on tracking that it was being sent back
    • Package 3: September 8, notification on tracking it was in Dublin. Today Sept 16, it is being sent back
    • Package 4: September 14, arrived into Dublin. Sept 15, last night, received email requesting fees (I promptly paid). Today, package arrived just fine.

I mentioned before I received 2 packages in July from the same seller with no issues or delay (nor request for customs fees). This packages today has the same CN22 label as before. What is a little different this time is that it has my phone number on the label, even though An Post contacted me by email with the request for fees. I thought that the lack of contact details would be why my other packages were being returned to sender. Could something like the presence of a phone number (regardless of it being used or not) be the reason this one got through?

I will ask my seller to take photos of the returned packages if / when they arrive back in Japan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Marlay

It isn't the labels on the package, it's whether the package had electronic data submitted with it or not. There's no way to see that. Presumably the one that arrived did have that data.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Sparkling Gamorreans

Where does the electronic data emanate from? If an exporter in China went to their local post office to send a parcel should the Chinese postal service be asking the exporter to provide the required fields for a CN22 knowing the package is headed to Europe and the clerk inputs transcribes the data into an electronic system for transmission here? Anyone know what this practically looks like?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭deezell

Here's how it looks from the UK. Tracked, untracked, franked are all mentioned. For small or private senders I guess you have to go to the post office, or else purchase a label from a courier. Business senders can use the software mentioned.

https://www.royalmail.com/business/international/guide/electronic-customs-data

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Marlay

Can only find information for Hong Kong (https://www.hongkongpost.hk/en/other/2020/ecustoms/index.html). Assume similar elsewhere.

" The customs information required is the same as currently provided in the paper declaration forms, which includes: 

• sender's information;
    • addressee's information; and
    • particulars of contents. 

Hongkong Post has made various channels available for senders to submit their declarations. Customers can just sit back at home and make use of the online platforms of Easy PreCustoms (easy-precustoms.hongkongpost.hk/epc/?), ec-Ship and My Speedpost, or the Hongkong Post mobile App to submit the information. Or else they can make use of the kiosk and/or tablet readily available in all post offices to submit the information by following the simple steps.    

As reminded by the postal administrations of the above destinations, all categories mail containing goods which do not come with electronic customs information will be subject to delays in customs clearance, or will not be processed. Senders are encouraged to provide return address on the mail items. In the absence of a return address, the returned item will be destroyed. Postage will not be refunded for return or disposal as a result of such circumstances."

It's all good and well saying that, but An Post have been returning packages saying "no electronic data provided" and "requires CN23 label."

Maybe I should have emphasised that all my packages (including the one that I eventually received) have the CN22 label.

I have been working off the assumption that the CN23 label is the one that contains the needed electronic data, because they keep requesting it regardless of the weight and value threshold. If you go back to page 21, you will see I was also in contact with a mail forwarding service in Japan who will be working off that assumption from now on too (ie. everything coming into Ireland requires a CN23 label).

As Sparkling Gamorreans asked, how is this electronic data submitted? Does the sender do it? or does the post office do it when the sender is handing them the package? I think the answer is with the CN23 label, but that's only because I don't have experience sending things to Ireland and that sticker An Post is putting on returned packages. But yet An Post thinks it's my job to inform international sellers, even thought they don't clearly explain the problem to either of us.

• Edit: I was typing this when Marlay replied
    • Edit 2: The more I think about it, maybe it did have electronic data this time. An Post knew my email! I'm surprised they didn't txt me, they had my number on the label.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

So my Russia parcel actually arrived back to sender on September 7th even though An Post tracking still says "we'll try return to sender ". Seller never said but they confirmed today.

So yeah try other tracking sites like the country it came from or lile Track17 if you're getting that

I think it came via the Netherlands so thought that'd help but didn't

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭dashdoll

I had something delivered by the postman from Ali Express today. Ordered about 3 weeks ago. It was ent from China via Netherlands if that makes a difference. I noted when it was delivered that post NL had put a different label over the original one from China. Maybe that helped. My other package that An Post has "returned to sender" two weeks ago still has not arrived in China and is worth in excess of €200. There's no information showing in the tracking from the Chinese senders side either....infuriating.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

My package tracking just says they would attempt to send my package back to Japan. this was dated 27-8-21. Nothing since so i have no way of knowing if it has been sent back or not or where it is.

Does anyone know the legal position? I get that duty can be charged at a certain rate, but does the legislation allow for that rate to essentially be 100% and for An Post to dispose of people's packages because they fail in being able to return them to the sender?

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭tvc15

Can I ask why An Post are getting all the abuse? From my (limited) understanding, revenue and the EU have set the rules on what electronic data is required and it is all required to be electronic.

If An Post receives a package from outside the EU, they either have to pay the customs charges to revenue or they have to prove to revenue that they sent it back. So now that we have a mess of codes required related to every possible type of product. When An Post gets thousands of packages without the electronic data, are they really expected to go opening everything to manually put in all the codes? That sounds like a mammoth operation because other countries haven't entered the data electronically.

• Advertisement

@tvc15 Did An Post tell the other postal authorities that these changes were being made? Australia Post knew nothing of it until they opened an investigation due to the volume of parcels being returned. They said they would implement the necessary changes immediately. USA, Japan and others all say the same thing. Tariff codes have always been required for imports from outside the EU. Now there is a much bigger volume due to the abolition of the lower VAT collection limit.

Advertisement