Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Event Confirmed

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Apple are creating devices that capture massive files. Those files will take an age to get off the device via lightening (usb b 2.0!) or air drop. There is a good technical reason to go to USB C

• Registered Users Posts: 6,489 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Exactly. It’s such a bizarre decision for their “pro” product. I mean FFS, I’ve sets of cables now with each of the two types of Apple chargers… at least the **** watch cable has been resolved It’s just ridiculous.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Not everyone captures massive files. Very rare that I have to capture video, it wouldn't be 4k and not very long. Different people have different requirements.

I have iPhone XR, iPhone SE, iPad mini, iPad 8th gen and iPad Pro 12.9 2nd gen. All lightning. MBP and iMac 21.5. These 2 are the only ones the use USB-C and only the MBP uses it exclusively.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,047 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Every other product in the world is moving to USB C and it will be the standard for a good few years.

Apple are behind the curve and all the things you've listed above have had their port moved to USB C with their refreshes bar the iPhone.

It's madness to not want uniformity in a connector.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I really don't see any reason here to upgrade from the iPhone 12 (which I have) to the iPhone 13. To get the 120Hz screen you'll need to go up to the Pro or Pro Max models, and for that amount of cash you're realistically only seeing a better refresh rate on the screen, and a smaller notch. iPhone 12 still runs extremely fast, has no hassle with multi-tasking.

Of course you can tell the difference in refresh rates on a screen, I have a 144Hz monitor and a 60hz monitor and the difference is clear as day, BUT, I use a high refresh rate for gaming. For general use, browsing Safari, Snapchat, TikTok, Facebook and so on, a 60hz screen is just fine.

I reckon if you're rocking an iPhone 11 or older, then you'd get your monies worth for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,575 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

USB 2.0 (which lightning is) is similar to having a 16gb phone back in the iPhone 6 days. It's getting limiting in terms of data transfer speeds and probably more importantly, charging speeds.

Technology moves on, if you give me a 1tb option give me a speedy way to remove data off that 1tb, there's also phones charging at 50w-120w where as the iPhone is maxed out at a measly 20w due in part to lightning.

I love lightning but its time has come.

I'm on the 11 pro, still faster than I need and the majority of People need, in my opinion, but for me it's plenty fast, the camera upgrades are not worth that kind of money to me.

It's a hard to justify these days upgrading 2-3 year phones when in reality you'll get 4 years and more. The 11 pro battery time is still decent too and charges fast enough though still well behind some android devices for sure but good enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,244 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I had an XS, and went with the 12 because I got a great deal on it, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered. Largely the only real difference I'd see is the camera quality.

Even when I worked in phone sales I always advised the best course of action was to upgrade every few years to see an actual upgrade in quality. These days, looking at the market, I think realistically we only need to upgrade after 3-4 years. There is genuinely little reason to upgrade a phone now, despite each company saying "It's our fastest phone yet.", because it bloody well better be.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I have uniformity. In everything but the MBP. Forgot to mention, no Hard drive that I have has a USB-C connection either, even though they are USB 3. Your uniformity would mean I would have to change the majority of my kit, or buy a tonne of adaptors. It doesn't make sense why they wouldn't change the latest generation of iPhones, I agree. It doesn't affect me for the moment, but would be the start of the migration for me at the next change.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,047 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The technology you are using is older by today's standard. You would be in a minority I would think for someone so dependent on a legacy connector.

I'd imagine there were people in a similar situation when the change over from micro USB and mini USB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

What time do pre-orders open for iPhones tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Will probably still upgrade my series 5 just to keep up with the upgrade cycle of watch one year phone the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

No mention of the iPhone 13 on the Virgin Media website yet. I asked them on Twitter and they said they didn't know when it will be available.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Any one made their minds up? Torn between the 13 and 13 pro. Is the extra €250 worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭newbie2012!

I went from the 11 pro to the 12. Going for the Pro again, personally I think it’s worth it. Even for resale. I think the 11 pro is probably worth the same as a 12 now!

When are reviews available?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I’m going for the Pro purely for the screen improvements. Be interesting to see the demand this year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,483 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

What storage is everyone going for? I usually end up going highest storage, but finding it hard to justify the jump to 1TB this time around!

• Advertisement

Still not up for me

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Stuck on processing payment site must be getting hammered

IPhone13 pro, ordered. They took their time bringing up the page.

Took me 22 minutes to get the order through.

Finally managed to get my order through and delivery on the 24th Sept

I ordered the case afterwards, got an error a couple of time after ‘processing’. Looks like I have 3 cases ordered now. Even though it said there was an error…. There wasn’t and I’ve duplicated the order.

Even though the order went through and I got a confirmation number and I authorised the payment through my bank app still waiting on the email confirmation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Order originally said deliver 24th, email says the 4th -11th Oct

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

Take my money already!

Ordered a iPhone 13 Pro.

Got a few bad gateways when ordering. No email confirmation yet.

Order says delivery on the 27th. Lets see what the email says

• Advertisement

Scratch that just got my order email and delivery confirmed for the 24th iPhone 13 Pro Sierra Blue 256gb

Advertisement