Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working From Home Megathread

Options

Comments

you and Mr Renko have been going on about how an online course and a self assessment is insufficient for home working. That there is still liability on the employer. Seems like you all now agree that it’s fine as long as those things are in place, and some kind of option to request appropriate seat / desk

and you’ve had a real bee in your bonnet about data privacy when WFH. Many of us have been pointing out all along that banks and other organisations with sensitive market and customer data have been allowing home working for years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭HerrKuehn

Interesting perspective, thanks for sharing. Is there anything to suggest that WFH might improve the service provided to the customer (which should be the main focus)?

Having worked in the public sector in the past, I can agree with the "school mentality", but where I used to work, many were ex army and some of the middle managers acted like drill sergeants and seem lost if they can't see their privates.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Heard the same thing where I'm working. Which department are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Did you look at any of the customer satisfaction survey responses during your time as a public service manager?

You might want to be a bit more specific about what I said was sufficient or insufficient. Your statement above is not true.

• Advertisement

Do you really think people are happy with the services provided by the PS? The health service is awful, the school system is around average for the OECD but almost entirely private at primary level (provided by religious organisations).

I think people know the difference between customer service and government policy. Why would you blame public servants for political policy decisions?

The services are provided by the employees, they aren't political decisions. There are no real sanction for under-performing employees. Relative to other European countries, the services here are woeful. We can see the money go in and the resulting service, so there is obviously something wrong inside. The state (which ever party is in power) is generally not bad at the macro stuff, brexit negotiations etc. They are generally very bad at anything that involves getting their employees to do something that they were not doing yesterday.

Getting the PUP out is regarded as some kind of big achievement here, that is how low the expectations are! Many state services were not provided during the pandemic, so your claim that the CS/PS was able to move to remote working immediately doesn't really stack up. Here is an example from last November, 6 months into the pandemic:

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/over-300-civil-servants-working-part-time-but-getting-full-time-pay-during-lockdown-39793198.html

But a self assessment by the employee, guided by online training, will clearly suffice, and has done for years

• Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Andrew is right that the legislation exists and should be followed.

Others are right that the legislation is a bit stupid to try and apply in people's homes and should probably be updated to account for that.

They are also right that a lot of companies don't bother or pay lip service to it because it's so rarely an issue for the majority of people.

My feeling is that unless there is neglect, the type of person suing under the legislation would be the type to sue for absolutely anything regardless what hoops a company jumps through but that the numbers are low enough that it's not really been of value to enforce (more legal cases would of course change this balance).

My own company follows all best practices here and have offered to do on site ergo surveys for home which will probably become mandatory once the mandatory WFH guidance from the government finishes in October.

(I think everyone can agree that a remote ergo assessment isn't much value and that organizing ergo assessments during severe lockdown was impossible so every company was, in effect, breaking the legislation).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,453 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

A bit of the pot calling the kettle black here. You can take issue with my maturity levels all you want, you are reading text on a screen and reading it your own way, so tone is all on you.

Can you show me where I said there are no health and safety checks? I clearly said that my company allocate us a fund to acquire home office equipment, it is up to us. Who, other than myself, will be able to see where I work or conduct these safety checks? We are given budget because no one person is the same, and the company caters to all individuals and their needs. There is plenty of reading and guides from the company to ensure that managers help their staff set up an environment that is good for them. There are full lists and guides provided for desks (standing or otherwise), mic set ups, cameras, chairs, standing mats, headphones, lighting, monitors, teleprompters, all of it. It is probably more inclusive of a list that you would get in an office.

My company has registered in Ireland and a large number of other countries, I don't work for the cartel or mob. But again, they are a fully remote and async company. I have done the office work life, and the difference to that of WFH is night and day. The benefits of it are for all to see, flexibility with work/life balance, no commute, it is far safer (reduced risk of accidents while commuting to work or an accident in an office), travel without taking vacation time, increased productivity, choose my working hours, etc etc.

You, and a small number of others, would love for this to not be the case. You show this with bizarre references to GDPA and now with it not being safe to work from home, despite it being safer. You want big brother on your shoulder and the shoulder of others to somehow justify or add value to what you do for work.

You are living in the past when it comes to this, especially in my field of tech and software.

You think senior professionals don't sue? That's hilarious. They're the ones with easy access to legal professionals.

It's great to hear that business has ALL senior professionals though. No support staff. No admin. No-one doing the accounts or invoicing. Are you sure you're not tying up your high value senior professionals in low level admin work?

I agree that the legislation probably needs to be updated, though I'm not sure it would be a huge priority for Government at present.

I'm not so sure. It possibly could, but the employer would need to show that the training had basically brought the employee up to a level of competence on ergonomics. Is it really economical to bring every employee up to this level of knowledge?

I'd have thought that 1-1 remote assessments, with an ergonomics expert involved at the other end of a phone, able to see the room, the chair, the chair controls, the desk height and all other features would probably be a better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 stevie84

I'm in the same boat, I work for CS Dept. and we have just been told we're going back next week on a "phased basis". I really feel it's going to be another missed opportunity here. I keep wondering how the majority of workers in the CS feel because it's really hard to gauge where I am. Those I have spoken to are complaining about going back but not doing anything about it and there are one or two who are looking forward to going back to the office, which is fair enough and it should be their choice. This "phased return" I think is a sneaky way of hoping we will all forget the benefits to remote working and we will all just be obedient and slot back into long commutes, crowded offices, packed steamy, miserable trains/buses - no thanks.

So far with the order to return to the office I have voiced my hesitancy on the basis I have a serious medical condition. When I questioned health and safety in the building and expressed my concerns and asked for policies I received a one liner from the DLO and HR saying I was being referred to the CMO. I contacted Forsa and was just told that others have been working throughout the pandemic. Which I understand and respect, but what is it about this need for constant comparison and competition between people. I responded saying I also have been working, albeit from home, I've actually been working longer hours and harder than I did in the office (which doesn't bother me). I also isolated for a lot of the last 18 months because I was at high risk. The union advised me to seek support from my medical team etc. then I was to let them know how I get on! I have anxiety about my health (with good reason) anyway so this push to go back to the office and being referred to the CMO is stressful for me. I know I can work safely and in a less stressed state at home yet it's others now who will decide my fate.

The whole experience has just made me start looking for another job. I work hard where I am currently, I have been told I am a valued member of the team but when you are met with a lack of transparency and understanding by the powers that be in a Department that is supposed to represent vulnerable people you just despair. It's like we should be seen and not heard.

I heard today from someone in another CS (Tech based) Department that they have been told they won't be back in the office properly until the New Year and they were emailed asking their preferences for "blended" working. So they could choose from 1 day in the office, 4 wfh, 2 days in office, 3 wfh etc. Obviously there is also no consistency across Departments.

I can see why some people want to be back in the office and I understand it but I would just like the choice not to keep paying exorbitant rent and have a chance at a better quality of life and housing. I also want the choice to prioritise my health without being made feel guilty about it by my PS employer. I've done it for the last 18 months so I know it is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,902 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

You, and a small number of others, would love for this to not be the case. You show this with bizarre references to GDPA and now with it not being safe to work from home, despite it being safer. You want big brother on your shoulder and the shoulder of others to somehow justify or add value to what you do for work.

You are living in the past when it comes to this, especially in my field of tech and software.

Your inability to see that this is not about me is baffling. I haven't been a manager for 10 years, and this has nothing to do with what I do for work at the moment.

It is about the general principles, and the fact that WFH / off-site working is not the universal panacea that some think it is. Sure it is better & safer for some. I've never disagreed with that. But there are plenty for who it is worse. And I suspect there are plenty who think that it is fine for them, but are sadly mistaken.

I'm old enough to remember when where was no effective health and safety legislation, and no acknowledgement that there were ergonomic issues with keyboard / VDU use. Some workers and students complained about RSI symptoms, but they were low status people, there were no consequences for employers if their staff were injured. Then a university professor got an occupational overuse injury from keyboard use - and the polices/practices of my university changed noticeably within 12 months. Laws were enhanced, and meaningful financial penalties introduced for employers who didn't take reasonable precautions.

Similarly, I've watched data-privacy requirements grow considerably. I've talked to people about how to set up their office so people outside cannot look in the window and see their screen. I've also worked with people who were susceptible to bribes from criminals etc who wanted access to sensitive data that their work let them access. I've seen what it takes to support these staff to resist the pressure. This is a lot harder to do it staff are working at home, where local debt-collectors, drug-dealers etc can visit, knowing that the staff member is working from home and has access to systems there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭Christy42

I mean certainly there will be cases with WFH not working due to a lack of adequate space but at home seems a lot easier to do correctly than hotdesking. I had no checks for what I was doing after I started hotdesking so they can't be that worried about it. They already trusted me to set up a screen/chair every day so they may do the same now. You just need a remote session to figure out how to set it up the first time.

Many companies were happy enough to move on in employee's personal time with email, slack on phones as well the ability to work from home was already available even if it wasn't commonly used.

These were issues before the pandemic but no one was that worried about it until some realised there might be some benefits for employees.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,453 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Bribes from criminals...sure, really believe that. We all know you never to GDPA when you have run out of everything else to throw toys at.

I don't know what to even say about this insinuation of it being somehow better to be at work over home, due to debt collectors and drug deal visits...stunning claim.

I've also worked with people who were susceptible to bribes from criminals etc who wanted access to sensitive data that their work let them access. I've seen what it takes to support these staff to resist the pressure. This is a lot harder to do it staff are working at home, where local debt-collectors, drug-dealers etc can visit, knowing that the staff member is working from home and has access to systems there

You have officially jumped the shark

I would love to know what type of company you work for. It seems to be something quite different to the average WFH situation. I am pretty sure my colleagues are not going to have debt collectors and criminals calling over. We don't have any sensitive customer data, as we don't have any customers, it isn't that type of company.

Genuinely curious and not trying to be a smartass.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

What about someone working for Revenue or DEASP or indeed a private payroll company? Or admin for a security company? They couldn't be leaned on?

Wake up.

The list goes on and on. In an effort to be smart, you're not coming across as at all.

And if someone wanted to steal a particular person's identity, they could glean an awful lot from far more 'harmless' WFH datasets.

Edit: these are not reasons to not WFH. All of these are addressed as part of personal responsibility within the contracts of most of the above examples.

Do criminals cajole employees? Yes, they do.

• Advertisement

Thank you An Ri rua, pretty much spot on.

I've seen this first hand working in a government agency overseas. I'm quite certain it happens here too.

It's not only government workers, though. Anyone with access to a customer database, especially one with sensitive data, eg medical or legal secretary, can be vulnerable.

Especially outside of Dublin, where people in the neighbourhood know where people work.

As you say, these aren't universal reason to say "no WFH". But they are factors that need to be considered, in terms of both privacy and also staff safety.

I know a few care-workers who simply had to take client files home from the office in the early days of Covid, and none of them were happy about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Boils my piss when the "back to the office" brigade refer to it as "back to work". Oh really? So what do they think people were doing while WORKing From Home.

It is disappointing but not that surprising that Forsa were of no help to you. it is also not surprising that other people are seemingly unhappy about the situation but won't even try to make a stand.

I was in a similar boat about a year ago except it wasn't my own health I was concerned about but that of a vulnerable person I live with who has various health problems including dementia. At the same time as I was being ordered back to the office, we were receiving no support from the HSE due to the huge focus on Covid to the detriment of other services.

I quoted the public heath guidelines at the time to my employer and received an obnoxious response. Union was useless. Subsequently, as we all know, Covid blew up again big time.

I have found that the people most keen on a return to the office are those who:

Do little or nothing when they are in the office

Spend a lot of their work day drinking tea and talking sh*t, often doing tours of the offices

Thrive on office gossip, politics and hierarchy e.g. floor area of offices and title on the door.

Live close to the office and are smug about that

Seem to like getting away from their spouse and kids

Also, scabby fcukers who come to the office mainly for free teabags and toilet paper or to show off their new clothes or hairdo. Continued to come in to office during the pandemic in contravention of publlc health guidelines while half heartedly being told not to by weak management. The next thing that will happen if it hasn't already is this will be used as justification to get everyone back fulltime "well Mary has been in the office all along so it's only fair that you come back".

Oh, I would agree. I don't think it is necessarily a good thing to have people accessing sensitive information, like revenue details, medical records etc from home. It would be a good enough reason to be bring people back to the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

It is common practice in anywhere I know where you bring your laptop home after work.

If the building burnt down and everybody's laptop was in the building the company would be ruined.

So if someone wants to break in and coerce information out of me they can drop in anytime after 6, I might inconvenience them by not being at home from 9 to 5.

Ireland is not Mexixo or some third world country, I am sure people in high positions have faced this like Bank managers as we seen cases in the past which again was nothing to do with working from home.

Can you or anybody give me 5 of 6 examples of an average office worker that has been coerced while working full time from home in Ireland.

I'm not actually sure what the argument is here anymore😂

Ergonomics checks will be brought in when government give the go ahead to go back to office if there going to offer everyone wfh a few days a week.

Once your company is offering the the choice of working from home, a hybrid model which mine is doing(3 in, 2 wfh) or allowing users to return to office voluntarily full time isn't that all that matters.

Each company is going to be different. Its going to be a hybrid model from what I can see in most companies going forward some with minimum two days in the office but from my friends its looking like three in and two from home which is what mine is doing.

Can you or anybody give me 5 of 6 examples of an average office worker that has been coerced while working full time from home in Ireland.

Of course I can't - among other things, part of managing issues like these is not publicising them. But this is not a theoretical nonsense, Irish society has plenty of small-time crooks who want to get their hands on personal information. It's an issue which companies have to manage, especially if they have people lone-working. GDPR means that they have obligations to customers/clients, as well as the health-and-safety obligations to their staff.

@UFCMachine it seems to me that the discussion point is that some people think WFH can continue in the way that it was suddenly widely adopted in March 2020. Others can see that there are wider issues, that it's suitable long term in some jobs and for some people but not in/for others. And that childcare / doggie-care approach we've all lived with since March-20 is not a way to do business going forward.

The people who are personally keen to stay WFH are very keen to shut down discussion of the issues: It works for then, they don't care about their colleagues for whom it doesn't work so well - and they hate Doris in accounts. They really, really don't want their employers to hear of any negatives. They're certain that if their employer insists on a return to the office, they'll quit and get another job - which can be remote from anywhere in the world. Some are already hedging their bets and have started another - or a 2nd - job (see www.overemployed.com and this WSJ article) and it's really scaring them that their manager will cop on to these possibilities and to the enhanced management that's needed for WFH people . (For all the pot-shots at middle managers, they are needed more than ever during WFH.)

I agree with you that most companies will end up with some kind of hybrid. I hope that they don't get caught up in "fairness" ideas of everyone doing the same number of on-site / off-site days: what's best for one job + living situation is not best for others. I also hope that employers don't expect me to provide office space for them in my home long-term, given that we have a nationwide housing crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭tv3tg4

When is the remote working legislation expected?

My employer won't have a policy until legalisation is published.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

I'm going to stay Working from home.

1 to 1 and a half hour commute each way to the office is not acceptable anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭bokale

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

So you can't give any examples which I expected.

Advertisement