Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Master Plan for Cherrywood

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The bus service to town on the N11 is excellent. its about a 20 min walk to Killiney DART station too

• Registered Users Posts: 12,793 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

The LUAS is abymal. Takes nearly an hour to get to the IFSC for example from Cherrywood. If you're thinking of buying in Cherrywood apply for a job in Dell. Or somewhere in Gorey.

well you have the new parks, new schools, new cycle lanes, running routes, health centre. next few years will see shops, restaurants, hotels, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,719 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

The bus services along the LUAS route were reduced because the buses were carrying thin air for most of the time.

You cannot expect bus routes along the LUAS route to remain at the same frequencies if no one is using them.

The revised bus network ihas started to be implemented through BusConnects, which saw a massive consultation, and it will see big changes in south Dublin bus routes.

The bus service has improved though. We could all cite examples from 7 years ago of problems, but that's not relevant to the service now.

On the N11, there is the 145 every 10 minutes and the new route 155 every 20 minutes all day long, with the 84x at peak times.

The 7 now links Brides Glen LUAS with Dún Laoghaire every 30 mins, and the 111, which takes a longer route being a community bus route also links Brides Glen LUAS with Glenageary and Dún Laoghaire on an hourly service.

The 84 also serves the LUAS stop at Brides Glen and links it with Blackrock or Bray hourly (half-hourly at peak.)

The bus services will improve when the phases of the BusConnects network redesign in the area are implemented.

• Advertisement

It's a light rail system. It is not a metro. What sort of journey time do you expect for a distance of about 15km (as the crow flies) using light rail that also has to serve all the other people along the line too and it takes a major deviation to serve the developments off Ballyogan Road and in Leopardstown as well with speed restrictions due to having to fit in around Sandyford.

The timetabled journey time from Brides Glen to Westmoreland Street is about 50 minutes at peak and 45 off-peak.

Having said that - I would concur - people need to use some common sense about where they live viz. where they work, if at all possible. But a commute to Gorey would be equally insane.

Post edited by LXFlyer on

50 minutes is appaling stuff. I know a few people who live in Bray/Delgany/Greystones who commute to Gorey. 45 minutes. Quicker than Cherrywood to town.

The LUAS is a spectacular failure.

50 mins is not great and is nowhere near "appalling"

Its a neither/nor level of commute for that distance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭nullObjects

The luas is getting less and less dependable, they would want to sort themselves out before they have a sudden influx of people from new developments to cope with too. There's another one about to come online at Glencairn and another one again near Carrickmines (Although not sure of the timelines).

50 minutes is appaling, abysmal, terrible, awful, shite.

• Advertisement

Again, it is a light rail system with multiple stops.

It isn't supposed to be high speed rail.

It does what it is designed to do, which is to transport large volumes of people.

Oh no, an opinion that you repeated, well that's my mind changed

Can you define "less dependable"? In what context?

Capacity is a different issue to the one that I was responding to - which was in relation to journey times.

I would point out that all of the Green Line trams have now been extended.

Again, I don't disagree, there are certainly going to be issues in the longer term which need to be dealt with, but that's a political hot potato further in, in terms of how Metrolink extends beyond Charlemont.

So the quickest way to town via public transport from Cherrywood (9 miles) takes 50 minutes and you think thats ok?

Right. Carry on.

I think that what that poster and I are saying is that what you expect LUAS to be isn't realistic. It's a tram with multiple stops, and a route that takes a deviation to serve more developments around Ballyogan and Leopardstown.

It was never designed to be a high speed rail connection from Cherrywood to Dublin City Centre.

That would require a Metro line.

LUAS does what it was designed to do. Which is a tram line, with multiple frequent stops, to carry large volumes of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭BobHopeless

This will a disaster for people looking to get the Luas into the city from Sandyford/Dundrum etc.. Pre covid the carriages where absolutely rammed at rush hour between 8-9am but an extra 20k people on the system everyday will make it unbearable. Many will take back to the car to get in and out of work imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭BobHopeless

50 mins is absolutely shocking for that distance tbh

It does it badly. Freqently late or missing and absolutely rammed. Its a load of shite.

Well in the short to medium term, it won't be such an issue.

During Covid, all of the Green Line trams were extended and additional trams delivered. The timetable has not changed to reflect the extra trams yet.

The medium term strategy involves some more trams being delivered and frequency increased.

You still have a large number of trams starting at Sandyford towards the city, and that will continue to be the case, as otherwise the fears that you express would happen.

In terms of commuting, we really don't know what the impact of working from home is going to be, nor whether most of the new residents will be working in the city or not.

Long term, the issue is going to be how Metrolink is extended south from Charlemont - and that's a major discussion point.

Walk down to the N11 and get a bus , or cycle it in 30 minutes.

not everyone will go to town. Lots of business in Carrickmines, cherrywood, sandyford and Dundrum.

• Advertisement

Really?

LUAS has been rammed at any point in the past 18 months?

You dont seem to have been on the LUAS at all in the last 18 months. Or maybe ever.

I fully appreciate that pre-Covid it was rammed.

But let's be honest, several things changed since in the last eighteen months:

1) Commuting numbers plummeted due to Covid and still have not recovered to anywhere near pre-Covid levels

2) The twenty six original trams all have been extended from 43m to 55m length.

3) Eight additional 55m trams, over the previous fleet of thirty three, have been delivered which will enable the operator to increase frequency in due course.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭markpb

The Luas manages about the same speed as DART from St. Stephens Green to Sandyford because it was built mostly on what was used to be a segregated heavy-rail track. The extension to Cherrywood is what kills it. It's mostly on-road with an especially slow set of curves between Sandyford and Central Park and lots of road crossings (not always with priority) along Ballyogan Road. It was never going to be speedy with the design they adopted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Give me 50 minutes on a track that's going to arrive +/- 5 mns every day over a 40 minute bus that depending on crashes/weather could be +/- 20 mns

Once people know how long it is, they can plan accordingly with podcasts etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Sorry yeah that's an ambiguous term

I live past Sandyford so I need to get the Brides Glenn tram

There's a few different issues so I'll list the most annoying ones

There has been an increase in the number of trams that were meant to go to the end of the line and just stop at Sandyford and tell you to get out and wait 15/20 mins for the next one in the evenings

In the mornings there's an increase in "phantom" trams. What happens is I'm waiting, I see one on the board there's one due, but it never shows up when the time comes and goes

That's what I suspected you meant.

I suspect that the first is down to the fact that there have been issues across all public transport operators with drivers/staff having to self-isolate due to close contacts testing positive for Covid, and in the last couple of months this happened at the same time as many staff were taking annual leave, which means cancellations/short workings as there were no replacement staff available.

It should diminish now as most of the summer annual leave has been taken.

The secind one is odd - it sounds like cancelled departures (presumably cancelled for the above reason) were not taken off the PIS, which is not good at all. That simply shouldn't happen.

The Green LUAS southbound is good as far as about Sandyford, it starts to get lost thereafter.

• Advertisement

As far as Cherrywood is concerned I actually seriously have PTSD with ongoing nightmares since one of my last encounters with it and never want to see likes again of what I saw there 😱 just don’t ask it’s personal rather than the place, and nothing to do with its inhabitants etc, desolate and all as it is.

On a serious note here, in 20 years time, if likes of Tullyvale is razed to the ground and a load of trees planted, some cheerful buildings out in place, a few entertainment/social/sports centres, a selection of shops, I may be prepared to revisit and rethink 🧐

Advertisement