Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Import Duty/VAT Thread. Read Post #1 for Rules

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

Are items fulfilled by amazon covered for vat? And any of ye use shopto how do they work these days?

I've recently had several packages sent from the USA to me in Ireland rejected at Dublin parcel hub and returned to sender.

The packages contained children's toys, and the sender delivered similar packages to me successfully last March. The value of each package is less than 350 euro, and the toys are for personal use.

When I called An Post to query what had happened, a lady told me that important "new" customs-related documentation was missing but she couldn't tell me exactly what.

Does anyone here know what might have gone wrong?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Presumably there was no invoice or documentation included. Duty is due on values over €150, so it needs to have country of origin declared as well. Personal use doesn't come in to it, all chargeable for customs.

Purchased an item on eBay UK a week ago. Only went through with it because eBay have a message at checkout stating there would be no further charges. Yes you guessed it I got an email tonight with a customs charge from An Post. I even have a PDF from eBay showing I paid the correct VAT. LOL looks like no one told An Post about eBay's guarantee of no further charges.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,897 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

If the electronic data transfer, and the parcel label isn’t done properly, it doesn’t really matter what eBay says. An Post have to take it that its not paid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭joker@

Ok so now ? Ebay saying ask customs show them you did pay. Customs....blah blah blah electronic system blah blah blah ask your seller. Vicious circle, no help from anyone. None give a minimum responsibility for what they made,we as a customers getting battered with vat from left and right. Same story at Ali.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭reubenreuben

Mod <Snip> you have posted this in another forum. Do not cross post.

Post edited by whiterebel on

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Historydoll

Hi all, I ordered a photobook from Freeprints but it's just not showing up and the replacement they sent isn't either. I never had this problem before the customs changes in July but I haven't even been sent any info about paying a customs charge? I also read on the website that the photobooks have a zero rate VAT charge does that mean it's not going to be subjected to a customs charge? It's all a bit confusing! I don't understand how an item can have a zero rate VAT charge

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭d51984

Pair of socks from ali express, 1.09 euro. Card in door this morning looking for 3.50 from An post. Socks delivered last week. They can f**k right off!

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Yeah, they seem to be a bit off on vat calculations atm. Got charged €0.53 vat plus the €3.50 processing fee last week on a parcel valued at £1.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Got hit with a 7.69 charge on an item that cost 18.24, its 3.50 An Post fee and 4.19 Vat.

Just wondering for future purchases from ebay sellers is there a way to avoid the double VAT. Wont be doing it on this purchase but in theory is there a form you can fill out to get a refund for UK vat from HMRC? Or should you be asking the seller to deduct UK vat but charge Irish vat instead or just not charge any Vat at all because its for export?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Sparkling Gamorreans

When did you buy them? Ali have been collecting VAT since 1 July.

I think businesses can claim back UK VAT, I don't think individuals can. You can ask the seller if they can ship it for export minus the UK VAT, but they don't have to, or may not be be able to.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

cheers, will contact sellers first in future though Im guessing shipping for export minus VAT means that they have to fill out paperwork that they dont want to? Or can they just ship it Vat free without any trouble?

Think the better thing to do for the long term is to find sellers in the EU for these small bits and pieces I normally got from ebay

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭chasm

I received a customs charge in the door today for VAT. It's for a freeprints order. I have a couple of issues with it though and I'm not sure who I am meant to contact or how.

The package contains 40 prints for which VAT is supposed to be 13.5%, yet the bill shows a rate of 23% applied. When I go in the free prints app, the invoice for the order shows VAT has been paid and gives a VAT number starting with IE.

Who am I supposed to contact in this instance?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Isn't excise duty only on alcohol and tobacco purchases?

Got the below on a portable potty thing for our baby. VAT is obvously fine, but don't understand the excise.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The printing is misaligned. the VAT is 8.20 and the An Post fee is 3.50.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Ah, that makes more sense. Cheers 👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭briany

So, how prevalent is the phenomenon, now, of routing shipping from China (or outside the EU generally) through Post NL or BPost, and how successful is that in negating the silly customs charges on something like a 2 Euro pair of headphones?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It is not effective at negating customs charges but that is not the point of shipping via belgium or netherlands. Most of the stuff I buy from china comes from Aliexpress and they use it so they can ship to europe in bulk containers and also combine multiple orders when they arrive in europe. shipping it via BE and NL makes no difference to the vat due.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

I was looking to purchase a telescope from a UK site. Great price, but when I go to checkout, it looks like they removed the VAT from the original price and a note to say "Please Note: VAT & additional duties may apply upon import."

Does this mean I will have to pay 23% here when it arrives?

Yes and possibly duty on cost + delivery. Add on clearance fee too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭One More Toy

I thought Wish were collecting VAT at point of sale? Got an email today looking for vat on a 3e item. I was almost sure wish put out a notice saying they were going to collect VAT

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭jmorrisey

I've had three items delivered recently and subsequently received letters from an post with custom charges to pay (or item will be returned to sender!). How is this happening and is it happening to many more people? Obviously there is much less incentive to pay these charges after the item has already been delivered, especially with one of them looking for €3.98 on an item that cost €2.13

There is another big thread on things being returned by An Post, so it is probably in response to that to let smaller items through.

Remember An Post is semi-state, and they will have to pay the money to revenue, so we are all going to pay it eventually in increased charges, to cover the losses.

If they were in any way organised they would hold a future shipment on you until all charges are paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,955 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Got a small item €2 value from Aliexpress. . Delivered without any request for payment from An Post. Must be because of the small value.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

I got one for a parcel valued at £1, charged me €0.55 vat plus the clearance fee. Nothing like paying 50% vat on the declared value.

• Registered Users Posts: 0 vidavida33

I've gotten 2 letters from an-post for custom charges after receiving my package recently. I thought they usually request payment before releasing the package? Anyone know what happens if the charge isn't paid?! I'm a little sore since I overpaid a charge recently (the item had the wrong value on it but I needed it asap so paid anyway) so was thinking of not paying to even it all out!

Go back a few posts, its being asked repeatedly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Hi there, I'm wondering if anyone can clarify how VAT applies to used items specifically. My understanding was that used laptops aren't subject to customs which I read about in this link:

https://www.moneyguideireland.com/irish-customs-duty-on-uk-online-purchases.html

However, it was VAT they were after. I did search this up and believed what I saw on revenue's website was that VAT only applied to a used item if the value of said item had appreciated. As the laptop clearly lost value, given what I read, I thought I was in the clear.

Anyone know what the current policy is for used items? I'll certainly be avoiding the UK for the likes of eBay in the future.

Advertisement