Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭BillyHasMates

It's not about whether he is best or not. It's a clear weakness in his game he could do better at. Southgate saw it as enough of an issue not to bring him to Euros and it's enough for Liverpool that we concede chances down his wing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Southgate did bring him to the Euros. He got injured in their warm up match.

Id tend to agree with the line of thought that is more of a system issue than a player one. If he’s asked to start deeper, he’d be fine defensively, but he’s instead used as the most offensive minded player outside the strikers. Working well, the system covers for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,296 ✭✭✭✭rob316

PSG also lack a truly world class midfielder. Fabinho is vital to us and you saw last season our midfield really doesn't function without him. PSG are a billionaires vanity project, a watered down galactico's with no team building. As soon as Poch is in trouble, they'll swap him out for another manager who will be expected to make a team out of the squad, but its horribly unbalanced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

If they could get him on the pitch sure, constantly injured

We are arguing different things. I have already agreed with another poster who made a similar post to you. I know in the system we play Trent is given licence to get forward and that if he is caught far forward when the opposition get possession then a midfielder, usually Henderson covers. My point is that when Trent isn't so far forward, where he is close enough to effect the play by making a sprint to get a tackle in or cover a run he is not doing it and the likes of Matip is getting pulled out of the centre and defensive line to cover for him.

I really doubt its in the plan when we face a quick transition that Matip gets pulled out of the middle to cover a run down the sideline on Trent's side. That happens regularly in games and it leaves loads of space for opposition players running from deep to run into. So either Henderson or one of the midfielders are not doing their job in covering that space and run or Trent isn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Southgate doesn't play Trent because he's ultra defensive even with a team that is the most stacked with attacking talent in the world. He's a fearful manager and has no idea how to use him. Trent has created the most chances and big chances so far this season, even last year in our 'disastrous' season he was only behind KDB and Fernandes for chances created, year before that only KDB. It's got to be the system, you never see the midfielders or CB's screaming at him for being out of position because he's likely not. He's also probably told to pick and choose when to sprint back, as you can only sprint full tilt so many times and they'd rather his energy used going the other way. His starting position is RB but his average position is ahead of the midfielders.

He spends one half every game playing 5 yards from Klopp, if he wasn't doing what's asked of him he'd have a giant German screaming at him. Last week an example on the other side, Raphinha was playing very high and wide and a few times Robertson left him and went forward, Klopp called Robertson over and told him to stay back.

I pretty much completely agree and I am not arguing your point. I am only talking about instances in the game where Trent is not too far ahead of the play and can get back to help out. If Henderson is not there or getting played around then it is a major problem when your CB is getting pulled out to the sideline. It is high risk and it gives opportunities to the opposition we can cut down on if he makes the extra effort.

He doesn't need to sacrifice his attacking game or his high positioning, just when he is close enough and deep enough he can make more effort with his defensive duties. Maybe I am on my own here but it irks me when I see all of his teammates busting a gut to cover space, cover runners while in the same shot on Tv he is coasting. His counterpart on the left always works to get back and I always rate Robertson over Trent. Some people appreciate different things in a player.

Ah yeah I get what you're saying, I'm thinking it's risk we're willing to make. Leave our selves exposed there, backing CB's and the CM's to cover for him at times but accept that it won't always happen. Risks need to be taken and the Trent risk is one I'm happy with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Fabrizio Romano is reporting that some unnamed clubs have make tentative enquiries about Saka.

I'd hope Liverpool are one of them.

Bellingham and Saka would be some statement signings next summer.

Saka would cost an absolute fortune now after signing his new contract.

Even young Saka was smart enough to only sign up for a four year deal. Play first team football for 2-4 years and leave Arsenal if they're not in back in the CL and challenging when he's 21-23. Contract will be down to two years in the summer already with the price is only going one way from then on. Do Arsenal try build around him or do you sell him for a huge sum (probably the only player they have with significant value) and try get 2 or 3 players in.

And we where rumoured to be interested in him before he signed that contract so I'd say we still are. He'd probably cost the guts of 100m this summer coming, but it would be a lot less a year later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I wouldn't be surprised if Liverpool were interested. They were strongly interested just before he signed that new contract. I hope they were. He can really become a top class player given the right environment, coaching and opportunities.

I don't think anybody knows where his best position is yet. He was playing as a LWB a lot at that time for Arsenal in a 3-4-3, and his England manager was talking about how he saw his future at LB. Then he had a big burst of games and goals/assists at RW. There was some talk of him becoming a CM also after he played a handful of games there too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,365 ✭✭✭.red.

The system and team tactics is the "issue" not the player. If he was instructed by Klopp to track back as often as you'd like and not doing it he'd be getting an ear full for 45 mins and a bollocking in the changing room. If it was still happening game after game he'd be dropped.

None of that is happening so it's quite obvious that he's doing what he's told.

He's a very different player to Andy and they compliment each other perfectly. He almost skips midfield and links up with the left sided attacker more and is a lot more creative, Andy is more of a traditional attacking full back, bombing up and down the wing. He rarely cuts inside and while I think he's a better natural defender than Trent he's not half as creative.

Our game plan would be very different if they were both very similar players.

I wouldn't swap either for anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Everyone makes approaches for players in September..........

• Advertisement

The debate about Trent's defending again.

Klopp wants him up there not facing wingers in 1v1. The notion he's a bad defender is rubbish too, he's probably better than average but attacking wise no one is his equal. Honestly when he get caught out of position and we concede, I feel it's the midfield are at fault, they know they have to cover the space behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I had no issue with Trent not tracking back so much last night. The problem I had with him was giving the ball away stupidly at a much higher rate than I’d like as a supporter.

I get that he plays a high-risk style with his passing and it leads to some brilliantly crafted goal chances, but as talented as he is, there’s a lot of refinement needed for him to become consistently great. Still wouldn’t swap him for any right back in the world, mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭orecir

Trent is a once in a generation talent.

The defensive criticism is just a lazy argument at this stage and poor journalism.

He would start for any team in world football.

That contract is already a year into it next summer he will be down to only two years left on it.

This is a good time to start making public the interest in him rumours through the media and have him watching us as Arsenal stagnant even more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

We have the chance to open up a gap at top of table over next 6 games. Looks good on paper, others have some nightmare fixtures. We have Palace, Brentford, then City at home. You'd expect us to beat Palace at home, and Brentford away, and City at home, dunno why they even show up to be honest, at it's a certain 3pts as always.Then we play Watford.

I think the way the fixtures play out has a huge influence on who wins the league, United for example, potential there to lose a lot of their next 9.

West Ham A

Villa H

Everton H

Leicester A

Liverpool H

Spurs A

City H

Chelsea A

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Whenever Klopp is shown screaming, you don't really know who he's screaming at do you? I mean, all you can see is Klopp. You can guess but can never really be sure.

Also, during a televised match, Klopp may be shown for (let's say) 3 mins in total during a match. During the 87 mins he isn't shown, he could be screaming at Trent numerous times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Love Saka as a player bit where would he play with us ?

Palace & Brentford wins are so important because anything an happen in the City game

We need to make sure we have money in the bank if we do lose a game against the top teams ,

It' mad how Llopp has even changed us as fans we now looking at games 5 matches into a season a must wins & must not even draw ,

Its fantastic to be a really top team again

Can't see us spending the money it would take to get him on some one for rotation but is suppose Mane is getting on,

I wonder could Klopp mould Saka into more of a goal getter or maybe that won't matter when we get Haaland ( joking )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

Was listening to Giles on OTBam this morning and he was talking some awful sh*te. According to him both goals against Milan were TAA’s fault because he’s a defender and it’s great that he attacks and all but he should be focusing on defending and not be up with the attackers all the time, and also Fab is a decent but not a great player!

There used to be a time he talked some sense lol

Hard to believe any commentator would think the priority of a defender is to defend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

We all know the role of TAA. It’s no secret that he attacks! Maybe I should have phrased it better but Giles was basically saying he shouldn’t be making runs forward

Both goals where Gomez fault for how he didnlt hold the line , end of debate ,

If your to blame Trent for missing tackle then Trent, Gomez, Matip , Robo are all to blame cause all could have made tackles ,

The problem was the line was broke by Gomez stepping back (he lost his nerve see Villa away last season) & it caused our defensive line to be all over the shop and easy to play through,

P.s Its Joe's first game back so give him some slack, he actually played well , Just two moments of him not having trust in the other 3 cost two goals .,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Giles is a dinosaur. His ideas stopped progressing in the late 70's. Very little understanding of the game as it's played nowadays, speed, structures etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Bobby back in team training next week.

Brentford game might be too soon but maybe he can get some minutes against Porto & Man City.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭ltd440

Giles basically said he wouldn't start trent,like as if Trent was not doing what his manager is telling him to do.

I'm always liked listening to Giles,but I'm starting to think he's maybe only watching highlights of the odd game here and there, I mean he didn't seem to rate Fab either???

Still no news on the Salah contract just give him what he wants or close enough to it ,

Very true, he offers enormous benefits going forward, but he does leave space behind him which Henderson/Milner usually fill in when TAA is out of position. But better teams than Milan have been/will take advantage of that gap, what sometimes is difficult to watch is TAA strolling/walking back when the other team breaks. For both Milan goals he was just outside the box when the ball was squared, for neither was he trying hard to get back into position.

I do agree that his shortcomings as a defender have to be accepted though, and teams would be less likely to score when Virg is on the field. But better teams will attack down that left side, and score as a result of his attacking ability.

Isn't it mad how we all get stuck on the " notion " of a position ,

For example

Firmino is not your text book CF , he is asked to perform a different task by the management team & we all understand that and accept that,

Salah is not text book winger , he is asked to perform a different task by the management team & we all understand that and accept that,

Now guess what Trent is not your text RB he is asked to perform a different task by the management team , its seems we all don't understand that and accept that,

Football changes & moves one & our manger understands that ,Funny cause its only today Ole was going on about how a good midfielder is a good midfielder it doesn't matter what they do & in turned showed everyone how poor his understanding off the game is ,

I do get what you are saying, it’s more a team effort to score/defend.

Though positions are no longer as defined as they used to be, CFs are still expected to score goals, and full backs are expected to defend, hence why both TAA and Bobby have come in for some flack at times when they don’t score/defend.

I must admit some bias on this, for me, Robbo is the best full back in world football, I know others will disagree. He is rarely caught out of position, always makes lung bursting efforts to get back, and attacks with venom. But TAA is more imaginative, has a better passing range and creates/scores more goals. We are lucky to have both. I don’t have the stats but I would guess more goals against us come from the right side, but more are also created on that side.

its mad cause your right on both Robbo is in the top 3 full backs in the world & Trent is one of the most creative players in the world

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

They played hardball with Gini's contract, and he was argubaly as important to the team, i would'nt be surprised to see no new contract for Salah.

I suppose it depends on how much more he's asking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I don't think it can reasonably be argued that Gini was as important to the team. Gini was important for sure, mostly for his consistency and fitness, but Salah is on a whole different level entirely in every respect. Gini's attributes can be replaced a whooooole lot easier (and cheaper) than Salah's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,582 ✭✭✭mormank

It's got nothing to do with what you just posted but I'll never forget how often you kept "going on about" this Suarez fella who was playing in Holland a decade or so ago and then he actually came 😃...I've said it so many times now but I would love us to sign St Maximin! The lad is class and would only improve under a proper manager imo. I can't understand how he isn't already playing for a top 6 side tbh.

I have heard the argument that he wouldnt be as good against a packed defence but I think he would, he runs around players like they are not there which then draws more players freeing up space for others...I think he would be ideal. In fact he just scored against Leeds while they had 6 or 7 defenders in the box, thats pretty packed. He is twice the player Mane has been for the past 18 months imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I think tomorrow is going to be something big.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭BobHopeless

Can't let this rumble or you'll get trolls like Neville stirring the pot. Just pay the man what's he's worth. He's one of the top 3 players in the world imo just get it done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

A time when Giles talked sense? Before my time then, and I'm just shy of 50.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,672 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Giles is a dinosaur who won’t admit the game has moved on from his day . He still thinks you should be agricultural in your play ,like in the 70’s.

To be fair, he was good enough to at least deserve to be heard, even if you don’t agree with him. Time waits for no man.

Interesting fullbacks

TAA ill, Matip rested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,615 ✭✭✭Damien360

Big changes for palace game

• Advertisement
Advertisement