Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post returning packages from outside the EU-See 1st post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭Sconsey

If An Post receives a package from outside the EU, they either have to pay the customs charges to revenue or they have to prove to revenue that they sent it back.

Well in my case AnPost charged me the customs and sent the parcel back! So now I have no parcel and I have to chase up with them to try to get the customs charge back. I think they deserve the abuse they are getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

They are refusing to do what they had no problem doing a couple of months ago. That would be one reason they are getting more than justifiable stick. Pleading 'it's the rules' is pathetic. Do you think the Irish governemnt can justifiably tax me for my CO2 footprint while causing An Post to send tonnes of packages back to Asia, which if eventually returned, will have a completely unnecessary 3 times the CO2 generated in transportation.

If taxing CO2 expenditure, fossil fuels used in transport and to heat homes, is legitimate, then this action by An Post is not.

Post edited by cnocbui on

• Registered Users Posts: 20,926 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

There is some information here from An Post, chiefly about Data Protection.

Outgoing Mail

If you are posting an item, which contains goods (i.e., has content other than ordinary letter/correspondence), to a destination outside of the EEA, then you must take certain steps.

You will be requested at the counter,( or online if using our online service to purchase labels) when mailing such an item to enable the creation of the ITMATT message. 

You must give the required information described above, including name and address of sender, the name, address, email address and contact phone number of the addressee and the contents of the item. This data is affixed to the item and is also sent electronically to the destination country and to the airline(s) which carry the item.

As sender of the item, you acknowledge that by inputting the recipient’s details that you have lawful grounds, such as their consent, to do so and that we are entitled to process that personal data to provide the required services.

This electronic data, known as ITMATT, is firstly transferred to the International Postal Corporation (IPC) in Belgium and then transferred by IPC to the destination country. The ITMATT is transferred to the airlines which will carry the item the postal administration in the destination country and to the customs authority in the destination country.

The ITMATT is also transferred to the airline who will originally carry the item. The airline will not carry a consignment of mail without ITMATT being present for all items in the consignment.Once the item is supplied to An Post and paid for then the item enters the postal system and the ITMATT cannot be changed nor can the item be retrieved.

The ITMATT data is retained for as long as reasonably necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for, including for the purposes of satisfying legal, regulatory, tax, or reporting requirements; and will be held for a period four years in order to process any queries from the sender, the recipient, customs authorities and other postal administrations.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

So this “ITMATT message” is what is needed to be submitted by the sender of an item from every country outside of the EU that is being sent into Ireland?

Does every single shipper/person outside of the EU know they have to or even how to do this???!!

Fcuk sake this is a sh*t storm…

• Registered Users Posts: 20,926 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Not only into Ireland, but into all of the EU plus USA and lots of other countries. All foreign postal administrations know about it, and if they are claiming otherwise they are lying.

https://auspost.com.au/sending/send-overseas/customs-forms-regulations/electronic-advance-data-ead

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

And yet shippers don't seem to be having anywhere near the problems that they are getting with Ireland. Of course, everyone else is lying, but An Post.

According to the Australia Post page this was due in in Ireland soon 1st January, and we are not one of the ones that were starting in July. Why didn't these problems start in January?

Of course, my supplier, who ships worldwide from Australia is lying as well when he says that he hasn't been having these problems anywhere else.

Post edited by whiterebel on

• Registered Users Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭dodzy

Its pretty simple in fairness.

Want to post package to Australia (2kgs) to relative as an example.

1. Bring package to local PO.
    2. They will weight it, ask you for your contact details & non-detailed description of contents (stipulating no liquids)
    3. You choose the postal option (basic/non-tracked, tracked etc)
    4. You pay, job done.

Incidentally, the Australian rates took a serious hike recently as they re-zoned Oz. It had been dirt cheap to send small packages up to a few mths ago but price has now almost doubled.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Sparkling Gamorreans

Were the new EU VAT rules due to originally be implemented on 1 January 2021 but was deferred back to 1 July?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭SPDUB

Sorry if the USPS itself is saying it doesn't know anything about this situation then it is lying given that they are sending back a lot of stuff for lack of electronic data

• Registered Users Posts: 13 PhilHill69

The HS / Taric / trade Tariff codes are not a new invention. They have been in existence for a good many years. They assist in classifying what the product is within a parcel, from a pair of knitted socks of synthetic fibres to .....a cow, and assist in showing the movement of trade around the globe. You will find that a vast majority of shippers have entered these codes quite correctly, and many electronic systems will now submit the electronic data on the shipment automatically. Like an email being sent telling whats in the parcel along with its taric codes, which will display as a barcode on the label on the package, which when scanned will show the product classification, how much the value of the product is, and assist in what vat is due. An Post is getting the abuse, as it is sending a great proportion of parcels back to sender, or holding them for weeks on end....and then sending back to sender....even if all the above is correct. I agree it is a mammoth operation, I wouldn't like to do it....but then again I am not a National Postal service. with in house customs processing. An Post is!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

USPS don't seem to do anything thats required anyway, probably why Addresspal was so useful from the US.

Japan, Australia, UK all seem to be in the dark.

An Post couldn't/wouldn't tell anyone what was wrong, either the importer or the sending PO

Took payment for VAT and sent stuff back

Said they were sending it back, and then delivered it to the house.

Telling people they need a CN23, when it is quite clear it requires a CN22

DHL handed over a parcel from Australia to An Post according to another thread, and An Post sent that back too. I'd say DHL are impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭rf4c

Previous poster said tariff code system is not new and he's quite right.

The difference is the old system operated in such a way that correctly documented parcels came through.

Incorrect ones were handled by the recipient. That's the biggest flaw - the recipient has no control in correcting mistakes.

Basically, an Post / Customs would stop the package and contact you (which is even easier these days with email).

You'd be given a couple of days to get the correct information from the sender (which is even easier these days with email).

The information would be submitted and the parcel released. If the information was incorrect and/or you took too long there was

a daily store charge to incentivise you to get the finger out. After a certain period (can't remember how long but a week to two weeks)

the parcel would be returned. A bit more civilised I think, as easy to implement today and a revenue earner from fleecing the slow sods!

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭andrewfaulk

No longer viable..

The surge in e-commerce, change to VAT rules and BREXIT have all combined to send an Posts parcel volumes needing clearance through the roof in the space of 2 years

The days of manually processing shipments is gone and it’s not coming back..

For those defending the actions of An Post citing infrastructural and resourcing issues or stating that the incumbency is on the external parties and An Post do their bit by way of notifications on their website, we're living in an era of ESG. There is an increasing focus and emphasis on doing business in an environmental and socially conscious fashion. The net result of enacting what An Post deems to be the requirements in this inflexible fashion is environmentally damaging and is clearly causing distress to people. It's a state owned company, a vital cog in the infrastructure of this country and plays a not insignificant role in people's day to day lives. Defending this is a very weird hill to die on. All that needs to be done is to ease up on the parcel returns until a workable solution can be established.

Looks like it was sent back. 2 weeks after the last entry like yours mine was tracked back to sender. Email the echargequery mailbox at An Post with the tracking no. to confirm.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭tvc15

Easing up on restrictions is something you should contact revenue about then, I'm pretty sure An Post gets paid only when they deliver and not returning packages. Why would they bother implementing such hardline customs rules in order to reduce their revenue?

Return items that have been paid for for is indefensible of course, I'm only questioning the non-compliant stuff

And the final twist in my tale!

Our Japan Post small packet was delivered this morning. It arrived in Dublin on 18 August, so one day short of a month.

No request for VAT charge or An Post admin charge (yet). The Japan Post generated CN22 on the packet does have a space for a taric code and country of origin, but it was not completed. (Item worth less than €30).

Now we have to go back to the seller and tell them the packet has arrived after telling them (on the basis of information given by An Post) that it had already been returned and to expect to have to re-ship.

We're very glad it has arrived, but the upset and sheer frustration of dealing with An Post over the last three weeks has been a nightmare. My daughter (whose packet this is) has been emailing and tweeting daily and called them out furiously over the last two or three days when they were caught out on various lies they told us along the way (with screenshots proving this, including one msg that said the item had been returned via London on 31 August). I don't know if that could have had something to do with the packet being found and processed, but maybe, given by the fact that 30 minutes after it was delivered, my daughter got a DM on Twitter from an An Post representative asking her to confirm the packet had been delivered.

Any future purchases we make from Japan will be shipped via Fedex - at least until we know this situation with An Post is sorted out, and maybe even after!

But please tell your friends and family what is going on. I will continue to follow the thread, and I will be advising anyone I know not to depend on An Post especially if planning on ordering items for Christmas.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭SourSessions

I just got 'Customs clearance have identified a problem with the customs declaration accompanying your item. We are working with the retailer to fix the issue.' for the first time

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭andrewfaulk

Where do you propose they store all these parcels that are awaiting the correct information? And how do they clear the backlog if they have to manually process the ones with the incorrect information?

And finally, if An Post give in and clear the packages, then they will end up doing it for evermore and the overseas postal agencies won't get their act together and implement the changes needed to ensure all packages with the correct EDI information..

Better to have a little bit of pain now, than have a postal service that functions poorly

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

I am done with this joke of a company.

I received a email to pay the vat on a item from outside the EU.

Fair enough so paid it and got confirmation it was paid.

Woke up this morning to find that it is being sent back to sender.

So they take my money and don't do their jobs.

Pathetic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭smokingman

Anyone have a download link to the right cn22 form for US deliveries into Ireland?

Interesting. By email from An Post or from whom?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

A parcel of mine has now been sorted 5 times. Last one got returned after I paid the import VAT. A disgraceful service.

I don't propose to have all the solutions but this is clearly a matter of public concern and there needs to be more open communication and discourse on this matter and some political scrutiny. What we have is summary rejection of parcels with no proper root cause in each case meaning future remedial actions can't be taken to avoid a repeat. This appears to be aligned with a series of erroneous judgements in returning correct parcels with no apparent root cause analysis being performed by An Post to prevent repeats. The information and communications by An Post are sparse, inadequate and unhelpful. If there are logistical and resourcing issues let's discuss it. We're playing a game of snakes and ladders with these parcels at the minute. Go back and try again. We're also ignoring the climate impact. As cnoc bui stated, what is the point being carbon taxed on one hand while An Post returns a yet to be established quantity of packages back across the world every day? An Post's raison d'etre is to perform its logistical function for Irish society rather than generate a profit. Sure, it should endeavour to break even or not operate at a loss but it's not fulfilling its purpose if mail is not getting delivered to its recipients. Again, I think it's an odd position to want to stand over that we proceed to edify global partners with poorly explained rejections.

Again, I'd state, I don't claim there's easy solutions or there aren't enormous difficulties at this juncture but An Post, Revenue and the relevant Ministers/Departments should be coming together to raise and discuss the difficulties being faced and produce solutions both interim and long term.

I should add that all businesses should be performing horizon scanning for upcoming regulatory and legal changes which may impact its the requirements it will have to meet and its business model. Was it genuinely unforeseen that this exact scenario would unfurl? Was this adequately discussed between all stakeholders including the Department for Communications? Was it always known the public were going to experience this kind of disruption and inconvenience and a calculated decision was taken that people would just have to take the hit?

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭lucast2007us

• Registered Users Posts: 11,872 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

It's ludicrous the carbon footprint this must be causing. I've have multiple packages returned to bewildered sellers across the globe. As an example of the flip a coin logic of it all, my fiancee and I both ordered a few bottles of prosecco from the UK in different orders (to avail of a discount code). Mine was initially returned to Heathrow before suddenly being returned to Ireland and delivered whilst hers made FIVE journeys back and forth across the channel with two returns to the seller who was unable to ascertain why they kept being rejected. Total nonsense. And god help anyone trying to get a hold of someone to ask about it.

The excuse we've gotten a few times has been that the customs declaration was submitted electronically and therefore cannot be amended. Which is total nonsense. Of course it can be amended but whoever is in charge hasn't enabled that functionality which would resolve a lot of unnecessary cargo trips.

It's become infuriating the lottery that international deliveries has become, particularly for a developed country.

You can't ship alcohol via postal service would be a start. If it makes it in it'll probably be confiscated by customs. You can only bring it in as an approved importer or on your person. Also, a lot of couriers/postal services won't ship liquids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,872 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I've had five deliveries in the last year of the same product and another large alcohol order from elsewhere so whilst I don't disbelieve you (as I can't argue facts), I've no idea how most got through and some didn't (as the deliveries were fairly obvious).

Point stands though that its been a lottery system across the board for everything else I've ordered. And communications have been dog-shít from AnPost.

Advertisement