Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Great news! 400 new jobs announced" - attitude towards more jobs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

I’m sure they can skill up if they want 10% increases a year (who gets those by the way?). What a ridiculous thread

• Registered Users Posts: 5,898 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

The ones who can't find enough locals to fill the jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,724 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Bloody highly qualified immigrants, coming over here, paying tax

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Local or not locals, what's the difference? Those who are qualified will be employed and pay tax and maybe have kids. I'm not seeing a downside to more jobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Not locals implies an extra housing and resource need, as new people will be coming over and need a place to live, a way of getting to work, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,724 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Well maybe we can take some of the tax that Stripe and the people coming over will pay and use it to build some more houses?!

Why hasnt any country thought of this before?

we'd rather create jobs for the boys to waste our tax money on - or offer tax cuts to MNCs

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The implication by the OP was that locals are locals, because they already live here. They wont take up any more resources by getting these jobs, whereas "non-locals" would need housed and would add to traffic etc.

I know what the op meant but it's illogical, the locals are never going to leave their childhood bedroom, never move out, never buy a home with a partner, never have children, they are never going to buy a car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Another few hundred jobs announced by Stripe today. Great news for people like myself in IT. Not good for anyone looking to buy a home or take their kids to school in the morning.

A lot of sarcastic comments "oh no, immigrants coming here paying tax, how awful". All of the jobs created in the last 3,4 years, what improvements have you seen in this country with all that extra tax?

Must everything in this country be looked at through a financial lens? Ever think of the social aspect? Not enough schools are being built, not enough public transport capacity, not enough houses.

"use the extra tax to build homes etc."

Well the government are clearly inept at doing so aren't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Cordell

This kind of FDI brought Ireland out of poverty but I suppose that since you're all set now everyone else can get stuffed, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The thing is, all the jobs and training initiatives hover around hospitality, STEM and production, which is great and all, but where are the springboard courses in nursing, medicine and healthcare? Trolleys in A+E, bigger pressure on ICU which isn't going away soon and no attempt to guide older than school leavers into that sector. Probably because all the money is getting burned away in Crumlin.

Nursing is a 4-year degree and can be done as a mature student medicine can also be done as a mature student, you could do an HCA course part-time and you would have no trouble getting a job.

We actually have no shortage of nurses in this country - Ireland has the highest nurses to bed ratio of any healthcare system worldwide. The issue is mismanagement

• Registered Users Posts: 5,930 ✭✭✭Cordell

Ireland has the highest nurses to bed ratio

Also probably the highest paper pushers to bed ratio in the world...

Whenever a big multinational announces loads of jobs, everyone thinks it's great.

But when the hospitality sector has loads of jobs and looks to entice people from abroad, it's "where are they going to live?"

Why is the question on "where are they going to live?" never asked when it's multinationals bringing the jobs here? All these MNC jobs are just enticing foreigners from poorer countries to come here and they're taking up housing just the same as anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

I think I understand what the OP was trying to say - maybe not expressed in the best terms but I understand.

So I will try a different track - by attracting all the Silicon Valley IT companies Dublin is becoming a bit like Europe's San Fran.

Now San Fran is a rich city but it has a lot of big problems especially if you are not one of the rich tech elite.

So do you think some of the problems affecting San Fran also affect Dublin?

What I am trying to say is the only metric on how good things are is the number of jobs created.

People still have a 2008 mentality where there were no jobs and new jobs would be massively important to allow people to improve their quality of living.

Now? Anyone who wants a job has one. The announcement of 1000 new jobs means more people will come from abroad. There's never any questions on schools, public transport, housing.

Look at it from the perspective of someone living in Dublin. New tech jobs are announced. Who benefits? There's already loads of jobs available for people in tech. Great for them, they'll be able get another 20% increase in their wages. Foreigners will come and take up jobs and pay the big high rents. What about the cafe worker on minimum wage who has to move somewhere else and can't find anywhere to live because all the rents are even higher on the back of the even higher tech salaries?

I don't see any massive increase in public transport capacity? I don't see loads of schools being built in the areas where thousands of houses have been built.

I want someone to tell me, what actually is the benefit of all these new tech jobs being announced. And does the benefit outweigh the negatives outlined above?

Not really, I interview and hire in tech. Yep, we hire a lot of people who are not Irish but tend to be from the EU. The reason being, they're the best candidates much of the time. And they might not be locals but generally most have been living here for years if not decades.

This will also vary greatly based on the area of tech.

Meanwhile we do have hospitality people who are complaining about struggling to hire but plenty of them are unwilling to pay staff a living wage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

I would not say that Dublin is anywhere near as bad as San Fran but here are some of the comments I got when I googled the biggest issues facing San Fran. Are any of these familiar?

• Inadequate housing, and no end end sight. Lately, not enough office space either
    • Expensive, inefficient city government; dysfunctional politics
    • High cost and difficulty of construction, doing business, owning property, etc.
    • Crime, petty corruption
    • Unwelcoming for: families, middle class and poor people; resulting loss of social diversity

High cost of living, high cost of housing, need for more manufacturing jobs, homelessness, and, of course the ever present danger of earthquakes.

Two sets of unequal paychecks for people who live and work in the city: the 6 figure computer nerds, and the minimum wage workers hired to serve them foods, clean after them, and drive them around. A city can't live on such different extremes in earnings when the economics charge the cost of living on the higher end.

The single biggest challenge for the city of San Francisco is how can we accommodate the huge numbers of people who are either already here and struggling to pay their sky-high housing costs or are projected to arrive over the next 50 years (the city is projected by some to go from its current level of about 800,000 or so to over a million, a 25 per cent increase).

Currently, the city is among the most expensive in the world - the median home is more than a million and a half dollars. One needs to have an income of well over $250,000 to afford the more or less “typical” house.

Jobs have been added to the city and surrounding towns over the past couple of decades in numbers far higher than housing to accommodate the people to fill them. My family arrived in California in the 1970s, and today, I am the only one left. My sister, a high school teacher, finally gave up about four years ago and left.

This puts extreme pressure on all levels of the economy. Who will be the cops? Who will be the teachers? You want to go out to dinner? Who will wait your table or cook your food? Your company wants to try to grow and needs to recruit either young grads or established workers? Your only choice really is to try to poach from those already here, because it’s too damned expensive for anyone other than the most highly paid to move here from anywhere else.

The city of San Francisco sits on a small piece of very hilly land at the top of a narrow peninsula. It is famously only 49 square miles. Some of that land is too hilly to build on, and some is preserved green space. 800,000 people are crammed into the remaining space, with another 200,000 or so to come. There are no more green fields to build on, and even brown fields (like the recently demolished spot where Candlestick Park used to be) are not near the jobs and take years to clean up, to permit, to process through an unbelievably byzantine system. So what is left is to acquire property from people who already own it (at very high prices), demolish the buildings, and build. This is not easily done.

Even if we could build, we then are faced with infrastructure problems. Traffic in the city is already horrendous. The public transit system (Muni) is woefully inadquate. Sewer and power grids are 100 years old and are nearing the end of life. The area is basically a desert where water must by piped in from distant reservoirs.

So, how do we balance the demands of people who want to come here vs. the needs of those already here?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,183 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

New jobs for people!

Also: No houses for those people!

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭freemickey

That's exactly what it is, a pyramid scheme that's on its last legs.

Look at this here..

"Mr O'Keeffe told politicians that the COG working group is examining short-term measures to help address the problems in the industry.

He said the group is looking at integrating Ukrainian workers in hospitality, and the international recruitment of staff into the Irish market, as well as building future skills"

Things are so out of hand now that they are literally looking to coerce war refugees into the pyramid scheme. And don't mind the tidbit about even fecking more imported people brought in to prop it up too.

Oh great, another 400 jobs. And where will the people be coming from? And where will they live, and how will they get medical appointments, and how will they move about, and any other number of sensible questions.

People are thick if they see these announcements as nothing but good news. It's just another brick in the pyramid that's about to collapse. This isn't 2012 anymore, but it will be soon, and much, much worse besides.

People really need to start separating "immigrants", a personalisation, from "migration", a true economic factor.

Migration is out of hand. There is simply no where for them to go, yet migration continues ad infinitum. Fictional policies don't fix real problems, tune into RTE for more fiction at 6pm and 9pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭donaghs

Just look at Irelands population graph since the 90s. We’ll need to keep building more and more high density in green spaces to make housing more affordable now. But what about the future if the population trend continues?

it shouldn’t be a controversial question to ask what population size we want, and then how , where and what housing to provide for everyone.

Man, they don't want to build enough housing. They didn't get all these extra people into the country to make it sustainable! God, no.

It was to increase profits from assets via price pressure. A few profits for the boys in NGO's and suppressed wages to keep business pals happy, nice added bonus.

You'll be waiting until hell freezes over for enough housing, or enough anything.

You'll be waiting until hell freezes over to hear any kind of a limitation, because there isn't a limitation.

That's the point, and it always was. People are waking up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭brokenangel

The information is all available. The predication all available: https://www.socialjustice.ie/content/policy-issues/demographic-change-key-policy-issue#:~:text=Ireland's%20population%20is%20projected%20to,from%20630%2C000%20at%20Census%202016.

More interesting is that before the famine the population was 8m here.

Talk to a lot of people and they are saying the population of the World will not increase, it will actually decrease as people have less and less children. SO will Ireland ever hit 7m people? I doubt Ireland will ever get back to the population prior to famine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭Tonesjones

Roll up roll up. If you build it they will come. We didn't build anything yet they come

Percentage of total population who were born overseas is higher in Ireland than in :

Belgium

Estonia

Netherlands

Spain

Croatia

Slovenia

Latvia

France

Denmark

Greece

Italy

Portugal

Finland

Hungary

Lithuania

Czechia

Slovakia

Romania

Poland

Source: European migration network

Emn.ie/useful-statistics/migration-and-migrant-population-statistics-in-eu-28/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

It's already at that now for the whole island - 5,045000m RoI+ 1,9000000m NI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Do I fill I the percentages? Is it like a kids story book?

Advertisement