Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lakeland gravel grinder Fermanagh

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Gavos2base

I might be interested how much are you selling the ticket for?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭DJB030244

I had an entry last year but was cancelled for ROI and deferred - has anybody had an email or know what the situation is ?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭clod71

I paid 53.75 pounds, which converts to 62 euro.

There is a Refund Protect policy included, which goes with certain T&Cs

There is also a size S T-shirt included.

50 euro?

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭clod71

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭comete

I also have a space and might not be available to attend..

big dog event, 100km, and a large T-shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Late to the thread, was searching for more info on this, 2 mates and signed up for this back in may or so, can't wait though the colder weather recently has me more apprehensive. Did the reservoir cogs a few weeks back as a warmup then switched to the MTB with some skinnier tyres to get the miles in on that. Planing on bringing plenty of bottles of painkiller for post ride rehydration (it IS 95% water after all :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭De Bhál

i'll take that off your hands if you still have it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Altheus

Hey lads - I'm in a bind here. Mate bailed last minute on me. So here's the dealio - if you can help me get to and from the event (I'm in Dublin!) - I'll happily give you his ticket and provide moral support/pints/cake after the event!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭a148pro

That is to say you'll tell us how good the well earned pints taste while we wait to drive you back home again?? ;)

I've wanted to do this route for a while, wasn't planning on doing this event but if I end up being free on Saturday and weather doesn't look awful I'd consider it, leaving Dublin City Centre

Hope you get sorted in the meantime but if not I'll check back in here by Thursday if it looks like I'm free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭kpbryww

Anybody got a ticket for sale for lakelander?

OK - weather looks ok, I've got the pass from the missus and haven't yet got the cold from the kid

I'm in - I'll send you a PM and we'll sort out the details

Does anyone know, are they strict on registration closing at 9? I presume by 9 there'll be a queue and if you arrived shortly afterwards without taking the p*ss it won't be end of the world?

Also do you actually have to bring a whistle?

How easy is parking?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Some chunks of info from an email they sent during the week.

Mandatory Kit: Bike Helmet (no helmet, no event), GPS tracker (provided), Waterproof / Windproof jacket / gilet,  Spare inner tubes, tyre levers and pump. Please know how to change a puncture. This is a wilderness event.  Flashing back light, at least 1L of water (can be refilled at water / food stations), Food to last at least 40k / 50k Mobile phone (fully charged) with a number entered for event control – 07775846097 

Recommended Kit  

Front light (if you think it will take you 7 - 8 hours)  

GPS navigation (eg. Garmin, Wahoo etc) with relevant route uploaded 

Official parking spaces on the day are provided at Belcoo O’Rahillys GFC  

(https://goo.gl/maps/JXWDDyeYVRdVmwwX8) on a first come-first served basis and can accommodate up to 300  vehicles. Please note that the organisers and the Belcoo O’Rahillys GFC are not responsible for damage or theft of  your vehicle and you park at your own risk.  

We will have additional field parking on the day (weather dependent) which will be well signposted and there is  plenty of verge parking and car parks in and around Belcoo Village. If you choose to park on a location on the  roadside, please do not block any gates or driveways. If you do, your vehicle will be towed away

Registration  

Friday 8th October - Registration 5pm to 9pm - Belcoo Community Centre.  

Race Number Collection, T Shirt Collection, GPS Tracker Allocation  

Saturday 9th October - Registration 7am to 10am, Belcoo Community Centre 

Race Number Collection, T Shirt Collection, GPS Tracker Allocation  

Your event number can be found on the number lists at the entrance to the registration area or on  the 2021 tracking site which will be posted in due course. Do not approach the registration table before knowing  your event number.  

Registration will take approx. 15 minutes and it is a few minutes from the parking area, so please factor that into  your arrival time. Due to social distancing measures in place expect to be standing in a queue outside for  registration – dress appropriately for the weather.  

The wearing of face coverings is MANDATORY whilst queuing inside for registration. There will also be hand  sanitiser available at the entrance to registration. Please ensure you use the hand sanitiser when entering the  building.  

Great event which I'd recommend to anyone. Well run, registration took all of 2 mins despite there being like 900 riders, nice touches like craft beer and a nice chicken salad protein fix at end

Only minor quibble was lack of doping control to catch mountain hares like Altheus tearing around the course on a jumped up road bike with fat slicks. Not fair on the rest of us.

Anyone know of any other middle to long distance gravel events in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

i'll second that - very well run event. Good (tough) day in the saddle. Really enjoyed it even though litterally everything was aching getting off the bike.

Post edited by lennymc on

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭zindicato

Did it the first time in 2019 no punctures and the gravel was well packed because of the rally event which was held a few days before... total opposite this time around 3 punctures , thicker loose gravel , sand traps , way more water eroded ruts ,hard but still enjoyed it.... definitely will be back next time around.

The hot burgers replaced by chicken salad which tasted so good according to my mate who finished with me which i wil take with a grain of salt as he was just near to starving at that point. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

They could have kept the salad.. Not a patch on the burger😂😂. Tough event nice to get around, 2nd year up there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭De Bhál

Toughest thing I've ever done on a bike. Still drained this evening. It was like a 5 hour cx race but worse.

Mental battle to stop myself just crawling into the heather and dying at many points between 60 and 90km in.

Looking forward to next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

• Advertisement

Grass routes is also brutal never ending double digit climbs and some really dodgy downhill sections... but in saying that the lakelander just edges it due to grip issues on the loose gravel on the climbs which makes it harder its either your front end wants to make a wheelie and your rear just spins when you try to stand up , the mayo xtrm havent heard about it but it is on my list now, thanks for mentioning it... but dont have any mtb for it😥 ...someday maybe when the missus allows me to have one 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Hated every minute of it and thoroughly enjoyed it. Already planning next year with the lads. Had a great first section to the food stop, was flying, really enjoying myself. Dunno what happened, maybe stopped too long, but had a miserable next 25 or 30. Barely got up the Navar ending climb to the food stop, thought I was going to spew, even considered making it happen to lighten the load. Then just before the last food stop came good again and finished strongly. Didn't threaten the podium by any stretch of the imagination, but delighted to get to the finish.

Super tasty local beer in the clubhouse and really nice quality t-shirt and medal topped it off.

I did the first two thirds of the Grass Routes and while its a fantastic route its functionally no gravel at all, you can do the entire thing on a road bike? Unless they changed it this year?

Flicked through the Audax site last night and Mayo XTRM said MTB only? Mayo Western Lakes 200 / 100 said you could do it on a gravel bike if cautious. That might be a runner unless someone has intel on the XTRM. No way I would do 200k though, absolutely no way! Had maybe 20 or 30 more k in the tank on Saturday and would have been unpleasant at that.

Would Tubbercurry off road be viable?

Grass Routes is a road bike event, but ideally you'd want disc brakes/ cantis. And not sure I'd fancy a full wet Grass Routes on slicks tbh.

There was also Gravel Grind West this year - same weekend as Grass Routes. I think it was a 2 day event - shorter 20km on the Friday, 100km on Saturday. On my list for next year, if it comes back.

Gutted to have missed the Lakelander for the second year running, after doing 2019. Definitely be aiming to be back next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭delynet

I hated/loved Gravel Grinder this year. The last time I did it on MTB and got a gravel bike since. Knocked about 50 mins off my time. No punctures (WTB Resolute 42mm TL) but I got damn lucky. Gear cable snapped just after the finish line.

Mayo XTRM - Ideal bike for this is a gravel bike. Nothing too technical. Some of the route overlaps the Gravel Grind West route. I did it last year, still remember how goosed I was at the finish.

Tubbercurry MTB Audax - Again gravel bike is ideal. I did this a few weeks ago. 200km which makes for a long day out. Watch your feeding, very few shops along the way.

Mayo Western Lakes 200 / 100 - Mostly fine on gravel bike. However, there is a few technical bits in Tourmakeady woods, another on a climb up to a lake and there is a section in Clonbur around a lake I would avoid. It is a bike carry in soft ground with very high rushes. Not worth going anywhere near this section.

Grass routes is definitely a road bike/tyre event. I did it a few weeks ago with 30mm Schwabe Pro One tubeless tyres on gravel bike and they were ideal.

Gravel Grind West, I also did this one. Gravel bike job. A few technical sections. No where near as hard as Gravel Grinder as you don't have the elevation gain. Some video I captured here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh4g-RNMGUc

Super info thanks. Although it now makes it harder for me to cry off because I'm not sure its suitable for a gravel bike!

Huge shout out to a148pro for the lift up! Great day out. Really enjoyed it, first time ever doing gravel like that and never at such speed! Numbers felt perfect, with people coming and going, registration a jump in and out affair. Definitely one of the hardest things I've done a bike, at times I just put it in to granny gear, sat and grounded my way up the climbs.

Very disappointed that a sidewall tear and eventually a giant tyre slash resigned me to having to carry the bike over the line.

Can't wait to do it again next year :D

Exactly forgot tp mention that the grassroutes is one event wherein you go with your everyday roadie and leave the nice bike at home ,just switch it up on the tyre size and you are good to go I used a schwalbe marathon 32c touring tyre for this event . The lakelander is nearly all gravel with short tarmac sections MTBS, gravel and cx bikes with knobbly fat tyres are the way to go on this one . I used a 700x35c crossking for the lakelander which was ok but maybe next year ill go much wider.

Or just do the Grass Routes on your good bike...

Grass Routes obviously isn't a gravel event, but I'd have it as similar type event tbh, having done both. Different bike, similar vibes, similar hardship

• Advertisement
Advertisement