Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What's your local charging for a pint now?

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭head82

I have absolutely no objection to a publican making a profit. Any objection would be idiotic. And I'm not suggesting profit should be solely based on overheads, production costs, distribution etc. (bearing in mind the current subsidies provided).

Proportionally though, it seems like it's getting out of hand to the exclusion of regular clientelle.

Can you honestly tell me that the current situation is not an ideal opportunity for publicans to exploit the situation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,230 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

On the one hand you accept that the figure of €5 is psychological and therefore pretty arbitrary and with the other hand argue that this psychological price is also the somehow acceptable price. The reasonable and fair price.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

"It seems like it's getting out of hand": my main argument against this is that people have been saying it constantly for decades, if not centuries. You'll find years of it on this forum alone. Nothing is being done differently now. Nothing has suddenly changed.

"Can you honestly tell me that the current situation is not an ideal opportunity for publicans to exploit the situation?" I can't. But I also know that exploiting a situation is a precise definition of the word "business". In the pub context, "gouging" doesn't seem to have any meaning beyond "somebody doing business in a way that I, personally, do not like."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭dobman88

Yeah. Doesn't make much sense, i know that. Its just my opinion on what a fair max price is and what I'm willing to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭DelmarODonnell

This guy is mid 60s, only drinks Guinness, the table had been booked by his son so he ended up staying there for a good few. Otherwise I'd have liked to think he'd have up and left.

I only drink Guinness when there is nothing else on tap of interest, but it would be interesting to hear from Guinness drinkers whether they would consider paying a premium to drink their pints in one of the supposedly 'best pint of Guinness pubs' in Dublin. How could it not be worth it to pay extra to bring a pint from a 5/10 to a 9/10??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭1968

The Goose Tavern, D9

€5 - Guinness

Can't tell you any other prices but it was heartwarming to see so many people drinking large bottles of MacArdle's!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,845 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

There must have been a load of Louths drinking in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 194 ✭✭Anonymou

The new normal! Unbeknownst to myself I paid over 5 euro for a Beamish over the weekend as only checked when settling up the tab, 5.10 in Costigans which in fairness is a pub I do really like. It really is city centre prices though, have been in cissie youngs recently which was 4.10 for the same and only a 15min walk from Washington Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Ozvaldo

Got a pint of carling yesterday for 4 euro southside cork city-from what ive seen in cork city guinness is 5 euro and most lagers around 5 euro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,836 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Galway city, September 2021

Killorans, Salthill: Guinness = 4.50

Lonergan's, Salthill: Guinness = 4.50

PJs, Lower Salthill: Guinness = 4.70

Advertisement