Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards Golf Society, Captains prize 18/09/2021, Enniscrone

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Congrats D. That’s super news.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭tigerwood1

Might be needing that 29.2 hcp to have any chance this year😭. Just happy to be making up the numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I don't think theres ever been a Boards outing where you were just making up the numbers Tiger!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Macker1

Really looking forward to finally getting back out on an outing and the curtain raiser on Friday (Thanks Tiger for arranging) Its been that long since last played with the Society I don't even remember what my society handicap is ??

Enniscrone is a fantastic course and I would be shocked if it doesn't impress people whom are playing it for the first time. I did play here only back in July and it was in great nick with the greens running quite slow but there had been a week of heavy rain before hand.

Best of luck to everyone playing and for the players at the business end of the GOTY enjoy the pressure lol

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Claremorris was lovely, super sunshine to boot

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Hope you boys up in Sligo are getting stuck into the sauce now good and proper.

curry and beer here but not to many, early on the road tomorrow for a long day

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭a post punk

Just finished watching back Lowrys open win for a bit of inspiration 😂😂Bed early now for the early start and hopefully the guys have a few extra pints tonight 👀👀

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

A few photos from Rosses Point today. Cracking day out.

Poor golf played by me, and by a couple others but a class course and great weather.

Looking good for tomorrow lads. See ye all there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭woodyg

Quality course

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Anticipation building here on a dry, but looking wet, Yeats County day.

Absolutely amazing place for our last outing, for a great man and captain.

Attention to detail amazing from Space and great work from others in the background. Space genuinely is, 1 in a million.

The society, the logistics and basic premise makes no sense at times.

But , the society brings you to places and people you would never otherwise meet.

Boards Golf Society abú

• Advertisement

Wouldn't be a day on the links in the West with out wind an rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Ballyk with a birdie on the 1st!

What a course , what a day.

The novelty of human interaction last night cost me my game , but was an amazing day.

Walking with people, talking to people and seeing life as it once was.

Thanks to all the organisers.

My spiritual home.

The lesser spotted coyote

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Macker1

Enjoy the night folks and safe home. Great to see the banter is still there with the Boards GS crew. Well done Captain Kieran on what has been a challenging year and for your backroom team that do so much behind the scenes. Also congratulations to incoming Captain Pat who no doubt will bring his own unique style to the role. Finally best of luck in the Ryder Jug. Bring it home 👍👍👍

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

What a day. After a nice chat with some members in the Clubhouse pre round I headed of to the driving range, it was that wet I drove the 400 yards. After about a half a bucket balls I nipped something in my lower back. After hurting my back I didn't bother taking part in spacecoyotes swingspeed challenge, don't think I'd have topped the 133 Road runner registered. Having never played the course before it was great to be paired withe Macker and Irish an who had 10 rounds plus under there belts in Enniscrone. Irishman has a beautiful swing but a few loose swings resulted in lost balls and he has no room for error of 9. It wasn't macker's day and you could see he was a little rusty having not played much golf lately.

A nice drive over the bunkers on the first left me 80 yards to the green. Proceeded to fly the green into the heavy rough at the back and walk off with a 6 an one point. This was the story for the entire front nine I ended up with seven 1 pointers with 3pointers. The par on 9 was the kick-start of my round, a good drive and wedge with a two putt pars. On 13 hit l super drive over the dunes leaving about 70 yards walk off with a bogey. 14 was a rolleroaster felt like it took us 30mins to play it!! I hit an OK drive into the valley between the magnificent dunes, I had take a pitching wedge out of the rough, pulled it un the heavy left rough, hit a good wedge to the top of the hill, procced to shank that right 🤕 good chip followed by a 10ft out and walked off with a very satisfying bogey. 15 is a tough index 1 into a stiff breeze smashed my drive leaving a 9 iron into the green, 2 puut par for 4 points got my round back on track. Par on 16 and my score was starting to get back on track. 17 was tough 145 yards wind coming hard straight off the right play a soft PW and tried to let ride the wind, didn't start far enough right and it hooked into the heavy rough never to be found again. First scratch of the day. I stood up on the 18th tee box disappointed with the scratch put detrimened to hold the scorecard together. Smashed another drive down 18, pulled my 9 iron left of the bunkers leaving a tricky chip. Flopped it to 15 ft leaving a nasty double breaker for par, did not drop but but walked of happy known my 31 points would not be far away.

Being the first out it was a long wait until the final groups came in one by one as the cards came in my card remained on the top of the pile until CharlieIRL the last group came in with 33 points. The chat and craic in the club house was great before the prize giving was too notch. Delighted with 2nd place top quality prize of €150 mcguirks voucher and a bottle of Jack!!!

I would like to say thanks to break 80 and the committee for all the effort they put it in. Being from Monaghan it's typically a long trek to all the outings but the courses and craic alway make it worthwhile.

Looing forward to Fixdepitchmarks Captaincy next year and who knows we might get an outing North of the pale.

Well Captain I hope the head isn’t to sore this morning? Many thanks to you for organising another great year with the boards. It is great to see another boards legend fill your boots for next year. maybe, just maybe, fix can get a course into the schedule where he can rule the roost and bring home that elusive win.

i would have loved to have spent the night with you guys in Sligo but family calls, however at least I got to hang around for a few hours to have a bit of banter in the restaurant and the steak was pretty good too

the less said about the golf the better, unfortunately nobody in my group turned up, but at least ballyk got his act together a bit on the back 9.

I had one highlight, flushing a drive with a slight bit of fade down the second to leave me right in the centre of the fairway at the dogleg gap. 195 or so out, pulled a 6 iron, thinking short is ok. Two perfect strokes in a row. I knew it was right at the pin and as I created the hill I saw it sitting directly behind the hole. On of those moments where I wish there had of been a tv camera as it surely went ridiculously close to going in. Anyway, about 10 foot or so back to the hole but I pushed it, I knew I did, at least it went past the hole but a ball with to the left was all that I needed. Still always nice to have a tap in birdie.

the course……. Stunning. I can’t understand how it has such a low slope rating though. It’s tough , really tough. And some people won’t like me saying this, but it is unenjoyable. Our group had so many balls just off fairway, not even in the heavy stuff, just lost. Golf is meant to be fun. There is no fun in that. The walks between geeens and tees are savage, an extremely long course, and probably on a good day, one would be doing well to get around in 4:30.

it is a course you have to play probably 5 or 6 times at least before you will get a decent feel for it and to know where you are going. Would I play again? Probably, but I wouldn’t be rushing back. Yesterday as always was another great day out with the boards crew, but for me, as a golf course, as a game of golf, probably my most unenjoyable in long and many a year

Break80 can I say thanks for a cracking finish to a most welcome Summer of golf. Was a top weekend of away an must say Space top man. Enniscrone is some spot, those Dunnes have to be seen to be believed. Mick Karl Johnnie was a pleasure. Roadrunner you got robbed for that LD.

A great weekend of Links golf - some of us kicked off in Rosses on the Friday - followed by the Captains Day in Enniscrone. Everything was so well organized - by people giving up their own energy and time and talents - to a random online golf society , amazing stuff.

Sligo courses are not mentioned as much in the upper level Links on the west coast , but it is a beautiful and fun golf trip. I haven't been as intensively involved in the society or golf over the last 2/3 years - so it was nice to meet some of the older and new crew . The actual pleasure (almost forgotten) of meeting like minded people - talk about golf - their round - the course etc, was a joy. Even if you disagreed with their view.

The driving range kicked it all off - when amateur golfers hit a range , it is a big day coming, a big event, a big course. They do not come much bigger than Enniscrone. There was a great debate at club and late into the night about the course. I knew before it would not be for all , there is an eccentric nature to the place.

There was doubt in the clouds - and that nervous energy that you get at a Boards outing. You explain to people we met on line, then you have lads calling each other , space , break 80 , roadrunner , fix, woody - what an odd ball set up (lol).

We often have a debate in the society of what tee to play - it is actually an interesting aspect of an outing. Some people want to play the course as designed from the "medal" tees - but on big difficult courses - and with players of all abilities , you can be in for a long tough day. I'm personally weighted towards forward tees in these debates - but I get both arguments - It would be interesting if you could play off different tees.

Would have to agree with Seve - that some of the walks are a bit silly - buy that is due to the wonderful scale and various rerouting over the years. Macker's point was excellent, that in the summer that course is simply a different course - versus 13 degrees with a cold wind in September - but after all that , I love it. You have to plot your ball around the place , it is more like cruel chess - but it can be done.

I'm only working myself back into real golf the last few weeks and these outings came just a few weeks too early - but I can see a sort of game come back. I hit the ball well over the 2 days - but I'm very rusty around the greens and on the greens. The greens , whilst a little slow were amazing complexes

I played with Jarrieta and Tigerwood1 - two gents on a course. We all had our moments and our frustrations - the ups and downs of Enniscrone. I know the place from a long time ago - but you'd swear Jarrieta was working with Hackett when the course was placed - he knows the place backwards. I didn't win much over the weekend - but I took the infamous 5er from the injured Tiger - always a rare fun treat.

The run of golf from 9 to 18 - is like a roller-coaster of golf. Every type of links hole imaginable across impractically high dunes. What a run - 12- 13 (you love or hate) - I love. It requires imagination and creativity to play them , yes they are cruel , yes they are hard - but I play flat boring holes in every other form of golf.

As a teen - I spent a week in Enniscrone with my mother and father. When I was on 13 I could look at the sea and hear and see that moment. For one second I could go back to that amazing time.

Sadly life is only one go and not everyone is around for ever. I had an amazing time , with some fantastic guys and girls. Hopefully many more - but I will think of ye all the next time I stand up there on 12.

• Advertisement

What a great year put together by Cap and background crew, annoying as bejazuz the day before on Claremorris GC (thanks for the 5ers lads) and the day after were lovely blue skies and well warm, but in fairness the weather could have been a lot worse had the bad rain in the distant hills hit us.

I missed the heavy rain earlier as I don't do warm ups so arrived as the second last group was teeing off, was a good bit of craic going on.

So it was that Break80 (Captain), SpaceCoyote, CharlieIRL and I were the last 4ball of the Society year. As I played with all of these golfing addicts before I knew it was going to be fun, and it was.

Cap was wrecked and the golfing gods would not give him an inch, where Space's ball would get the member's bounce poor Cap would get the crap one, some horrible lies in and next to bunkers and nothing dropped, fair dues though, head up and we call chuckled on 18 as the gods stopped his putt dead shy for the par. Nope, he was not getting any break this golfing day.

Space I'd only played with recently so looking forward to advanced ball striking as we walked off the first. Enniscrone is a course where you need the shots to make up for the ball in the heavy stuff or the bad bounce but as Space and I discussed at one stage, once you were around the 10 handicap you really are totally doomed on a hole where a ball was lost or you required a drop because of unplayable (and you have no shot), you'd need to play near perfect to get around near your handicap and the lost ball here and there puts an end to winning chances.

My own round was (I thought) better than the score, I was playing utter scutter since Fota, just off on the game everywhere and not getting out at all to sort it out. Thankfully I'd one round since last outing where something clicked and I had a +9 round. Then a gap until Claremorris on Friday where I had a good putting round of 29 and felt good for Enniscrone. I lost one ball all day, and that was on the first par 3 that was out of my range and I forced my swing way too early into the round, I putted way better than the 38 on my card, long long putts on 2 and 3 that died at the hole would have given my round a lot of momentum but not to be, I'd used up my good putts the previous day. Ball control off the tee was decent, I don't remember taking that many provisional shots, maybe just the one or two max. As I'm not as long as the likes of Space or Charlie I simply could not get to greens in reg, think it was the 10th before I had an iron in my hand for a par 4 GIR, 12 was my only other par 4 iron for a GIR. Playing off the (back) white tees in wet conditions is questionable, I'd played the course a few times before but some of the tee boxes we used were new ground for me. Lying in second play in GOTY I simply had to win or a strong 2nd or so and be the best in my 4ball to take the prize. I was one back of CharlieIRL after the front 9 and there or thereabouts against Space so was feeling okay. I wasn't feeling okay after the 12th, even though i was only 2 over for the holes.....and so onto CharlieIRLs round....

Being from the same town and both loving the game I try to get golfing with C a few times a year, it's been a difficult few years but we've managed it every now and then. It was great that during the round that even though we were out to beat each other we were all there looking for each other's ball and cheering on good shots and simply laughing (with good intent) at the mad bounces as the golf gods pissed on our efforts. C had a sketchy front 9, some scratches and given his passion for the game you could see he felt he could do better (code for not a happy camper). Then the feker went and got 10 points on 10,11 and 12. That pretty much was that as I looked at Space, I would have needed to have shot 2 under for those 3 holes to match that 10 points and that obviously didn't happen. And he went on, solid as a rock through the next holes and suddenly you find yourself in that position in a society outing where you want to go quiet into the background and let the guy playing well continue to play well and get the outing winner out of your 4ball. I said to Space it kinda feels like the Ryder Cup has been won and you are in one of the matches left out on the course to complete and you're wondering what's the point... I can't remember what C scored from 13 through to 18 but his 19point back 9 was super and led by his crush drives. 33points from the back white tees on a links like Enniscrone in a cold breeze and spitting rain was great going as I consoled myself into GOTY runner up second time in a row. It wasn't Enniscrone that did it for me, it was the scutter golf in Castlecomer and W Waterford. Well done C.

For what it's worth, here's the layout of Enniscrone from Saturday's round.

Finally, a word of encouragement for the incoming Cap. I enjoy his posts a lot, I know there's prose ahead as I glance into a long post where FdePM is lost to the world as he recounts a recent round. New Boards gets a lot to get used to, it's not great, interaction has dropped and as an online society he rightly outlined change is afoot.

All I can say is I'm a member of boards since 2003, I finally joined the society in 2019 and have played every outing since. Enough said!!!! Join up folks, you will not regret it!!

Post edited by slave1 on

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Snackbox20

Finally getting the chance to scribe my golfing memoirs of a great day yesterday.

Firstly, I want to say massive thank you to Break80 for running a fantastic year of golf. The courses that we played were brilliant and to have played some gems, especially the Deerpark Course was a highlight. Credit again which has already been said has to be applauded to Break80s team, seveob, SpaceCoyote, ballyk for all the admin and the scores kept for the rounds, and also the golfer of the year. So many permutations and it was run flawlessly.

Finally on this what an amazing bunch of golfers, it is a strange one as space said to me before "it's a society where you play golf with strangers and everyone has a nickname". But if you are a long time reader or lurker, join this society, you will not be disappointed, I was so welcomed into the group and you could see the craic, slagging, and bonding that the group has created with the way I saw it in the clubhouse afterwards.

Hoping those of you who went back to Sligo town and had the grub and merriment had a great night. Apologies I did not make it as I had a near 4 hour drive home.

The golf,

Had the pleasure of playing with for the first time doublecross, roadrunner, and woodyg. Doublecross was swingstick speed of 133mph and I was like 😮, this guy is going to burn the course. A great big hitter but some shots went astray, and you were putting some great putts. Roadrunner mentioned to me a few times Lasered 🙂, and you had some great ball striking and congrats for getting into the prizes, but you were like a player winning the all Ireland and making the Ryder jug, congrats. Great to meet and play with woodyg too, we always met after rounds previously but I never got to know his username. Congrats too on your 31 Pts, very solid on the fairways and made a lot of up and downs, a great back nine giving a well deserved 3rd place, congrats to all.

My game was up and down, didn't think I was in the prizes with 28, but a nice bottle of Jack was a lovely touch. Off the whites was totally different to when I played last month of yellows. Couldn't buy putts either but there was some shots I was happy with.

All in all, had a fab day yesterday and great year and a bit so far in the society. Best of luck to Ryder jug team in October and to Fixeddepitchmark in your captaincy next year.

Roll on and enjoy the rest of your habu today.

Snackbox20

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Break80

Well. Lady and Gents.

My year comes to a close after a great trip away to Co. Sligo. I am delighted everyone enjoyed themselves even though the first hour of Enniscrone was looking very ominous weather wise. I think we got away lightly as all the weather apps were showing serious rain.

My golf wasn't great and Enniscrone exposed all my shortcomings cruelly. We had a discussion in the Hotel later that night about hard links courses and I can see the merits of this. Even though the course beat me up there was nowhere else in the world I would prefer to be. It is without a doubt a magnificent place, I am just not good enough for a course like this. I would like to thank/apologise to my playing partners Slave1 and Spacecoyote for putting up with me yesterday as I wasn't good company at times.

Huge congrats to my other playing partner CharlieIRL who kept his nerve after a lean spell mid round but finished strongly to sweep the board with First prize, GOTY, and Past Captains prizes. What a year you have had. A really popular winner with everyone, I am delighted for you.

Once again I must thank SeveOB and Ballyk for having the cards and results sorted by the time I came in. It was a huge help.

What can I say about spacecoyote that hasn't been said already. The man booked the Hotel, allocated the rooms, booked the restaurant both nights. He also sent me a spreadsheet with all the prizes allocated to the many winners. The only thing he didn't do was tuck everyone into bed. A Huge Thank you because this weekend wouldn't be half the crack without all the effort you put in.

Now I am handing over the reins to our new Captain FixdePitchmark. He will be brilliant. This man is 1 in a million, loves his golf and is always in great form. I can't wait for the new year to start. A few hours in this man's company will put a smile on your face for weeks. That for me is the whole essence of this unique society.

Finally I want to Thank all of you the society members. I was honoured to be Captain this year. It was a privalige to meet old and new members every few weeks, play golf and have the laughs after. It's something I look forward to every year, Ye are all a great bunch whom I will always count as great friends. I don't have many ☺️

That's about it Golfers.

Thanks again.

I HAD A BLAST.

BREAK 80

Wow, wow, wow!! I was speechless, and I must admit, emotional on Saturday evening when my name was called out as Winner of Captain’s day for the second year in a row, what an honour to win it once, but twice, two years in a row, wow!

Sorry this is a long post!!!!

When Tiger said he was going to play Claremorris on Friday, I said I would head there with him to play a new course and catch up with old friends and catch up for the bit of banter, was tough taking the decision not to play Co. Sligo with the rest of the lads but links two days in a row would take its toll, also with the lads who were going friday - it was always going to be a good day. What a little cracker of a course Claremorris was, nothing spectacular but absolutely nothing boring or uninspiring, just a nice mature treelined parkland course with some tasty water features. Was a bit wet in spots but it rained very heavy during the week so wasn’t unexpected. Conditions were perfect as the sun shone and a light breeze as we stood up on the first, banter flowing from both groups. I drove the ball well, few duffed chips and didn’t make too many putts but still played solid enough, 7 pars, 5 bogies, 5 doubles and a scratch – I was extremly happy with that but was thinking had I played my best golf a day too early?

Arrived to Enniscrone on Saturday to be greeted with a heavy shower of rain, were the shorts a bad idea? Into the clubhouse to meet the rest of the crew, meeting old and new friends again for our last outing of a great but interupted year (I'm not going to mention the C19 word!), and the most important one of the year, the highlight of any golfers year – Captains Day. Returning last years trophies we had a chat and then I headed out to the practice area adjacent to the first tee and with the bunch of us there, it wasn’t long before the crack started!! With Spacecoyote bringing the launch monitor everyone was eager to lash the hell out of the speed stick and not the launch monitor!!!! Well done to Doublecross and Roadrunner with the fastest swings – 133mph, very very impressive guys.

Nervous as hell, stood on the first tee in the last group, just about got the ball on the tee and took a deep breath and swung – straight down the middle with my normal 220m drive. Thank flock!! The first of my many duffed chips followed and I walked off with a 6, still a point. Same on the next hole – 200m drive, 169m 3 wood and then a duffed iron left the ball about 6 foot from the hole!! Missed the birdie but got the par, delighted! Pulled tee shot on the par 3 but thankfully Captain Break80 found my ball and got a club to it but another double. Another double on 4 and my head dropped, I scratched 5 & 6. Standing on 7 (Longest drive) I said to myself don’t be letting the back tees / wind / rain etc get into my head, just reset, each hole is a new one and just relax, you’re playing Enniscrone FFS!! Stood up and nailed my drive to the middle of the fairway! Hit another decent 2nd shot and starting thinking, am back no track, no duffed the next but then chipped on and had the par putt – missed but bogie, 2 points, I’ll take that! Bogie on 8 and then my luck really started on the 9th!!! 181m drive and I stood looking at the greenside bunkers and said, don’t be silly, lay up, chip on and take whatever putts to get the ball in the hole. 171m out I took a 7 iron and I honestly don’t know how but I landed short of the 2 bunkers on the RHS of the green and the ball rolled by them, hit the slope and finished about 15 foot from the pin!! 2 putts and a par!! Repeat on 10, decent drive and my ball landed in the middle of the green when I was trying to lay up again, another par! The 11th – best iron I hit in years left a 3 foot putt for the birdie which I got! A share of the 2’s was going to be my highlight of the day so I thought. On to 12, 224m drive over the hill, chipped on to about 15 foot again, hold on, another birdie putt?? Left it short but got the par.

Then I started thinking – I’ve just got 17 points in 6 holes, WTF? Really? Got away with a few slightly left drives but bogied 13, 14, & 15 (Love that index 1 but soooooo tough off the whites) meant I now scored 26 points in 9 holes (4 over for them, where was this golf all year?) Was I in with a chance? Well I made a right balls of 16, short left drive, decent recovery and tried to play safe to leave a lay-up and I ended up on the side of the hill at the green. Got the ball out but went over the back, got it out but 3 putted for a scratch. Damm was my chance gone. Hit my tee shot long on 17 and fresh aired the next shot, hit it next time but 2 putted from where the ball finished. I wasn’t 100% sure of the ruling I asked my playing partners what to do. We agreed to put an asterisk on the card and said we would ask when we got back into the clubhouse. I didn’t let this affect me and to try salvage something I nailed my drive on 18, hit my second pin high but to the left of the green, chipped on and left the par putt short, bogie, ok 2 points. Genuinely thought not enough for the win but enough to win the GOTY, a very very worthy consolation prize and first for me. I know a few of the lads are great with the rules so they confirmed the fresh air was a shot so a double for me and a grand total of 33 points. After a bit of chat in the clubhouse I was hearing the next score in was 31 but I still didn’t think I had done enough……

The names started getting announced and fair play to Captain Fantastic Break80, there was more prizes in this event that ever before. Delighted to retain my “Past Captains” prize and then confirmed GOTY winner meant I was a happy chappy, delighted. Then when third, then second place were confirmed I turned to Slave1 with tears starting to well in my eyes, I had done it again (Goosebumps even writing this now!) I had won the Captains Prize again, wow, wow, wow. I was speechless and am still absolutely delighted my hard work this year paid off. The ultimate golf prize in my eyes.

I must give a massive thanks to my playing partners on Saturday, Slave1, Spacecoyote and Captain Break80. Even though it was the most important day of the society year and the 4 of us in the hunt for the GOTY, we had fun, we had the crack, we were all frustrated with our golf at times but we all still enjoyed the company and the day out – thanks a million lads. You could play any course in the world but if your not with genuine good friends who are really nice guys, you won’t enjoy the day like we did on Saturday. I fely very guilty at times when I was getting all the lucky bounces, the 3 lads were getting the polar opposite - it they needed a good bounce left, it went right. Unfortunately all 3 lads suffered the same fate.

Well done to everyone for making the trip to the lovely North West and Enniscrone, a worthy course for a Captains Day. The weather tried its best but hopefully it didn’t dampen anyone’s spirits. To everyone who stayed and went out for dinner, was a great laugh and great to catch up.

Finally, many thanks to my fellow committee members for all their work during the year but there’s two lads who need to get a special mention for their absolutely fantastic work they do behind the scenes with the society – Spacecoyote and SeveOB, we would be lost without their meticulous preparation for all the events. From the thankless job of maintain and revising handicaps to booking the hotel, to organising the restaurant and the many other tasks undertaken, Lads thank you very much. Your work is greatly appreciated.

Looking forward to doing it all again next year under Fixdepitchmarks eagerly awaited term as Captain, are we going to play Corballis 8 times?!! The very best of luck dude.

On to the Ryder jug next, can’t wait!!!

How rude of me in my earlier post not to send a HUGE congratulations to my good friend CharlieIRL on his clean sweep on Saturday.

It's true what has been said, meet a bunch of strangers off the internet nearly 10 years ago and some fantastic friendships have formed.

So the full list of results

Drumroll please..........

• Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭blue note

How far are the Long Drives that win the comp? I've played no society golf so never get to see what I'd actually need to win one. I suspect I'd need my Sunday best and the properly long lads to miss the fairway!

Hmm, I'd very rarely hit that without a bit of a downslope or wind assistance. I'd definitely wind up for one on that hole though and end up playing 3 from the tee.

282 yards won it on Saturday. I hit mine 242 yards and we measured it with a rangfinder and i was 40 yards back!!!

Roadrunner / SeveOB / Kiith and a few more hit it really, really far!!

• Advertisement

That's a fine hit - fair play FPM. I'd be on the longer side of the groups I play with and I wouldn't be reaching that without some help from the Gods.

Advertisement