Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭randomname2005

The prices for just the panels seems too low, with grant given, no up front costs is 2400 over 10 years, and with inflation over the next few years, assuming no recession or deflation, will make it even better value.

Price with extras is crazy, basically doubling the price with a diverter.

Is there anything in the ts and cs that prohibits adding extras like a diverter?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

No. Once you don't interfere with the system itself.

I priced a diverter locally for 434 installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 jamesmct007

Hi Folks,

Received another quote during the week. Just wondering what peoples thoughts are on it.

15 x LONGI360M Longi Black Mono 360w

SOL5HYBRID Solis 5kW Hybrid Battery Inverter

PTUS200B Pylontech Battery 2.4KwHr, 2.2KwHr usable

10,250 before grant taken off.

Would I need a second a larger battery with a 5Kw battery Inverter?

An EIDDIS or iBoost hasnt been quoted for yet. We use immersion to heat water for 1 hr/per day. What would peoples opinion be on getting a hot water diverter?

Thanks for the help.

J

Is adding a diverter not interfering with the system?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

"An EIDDIS or iBoost hasnt been quoted for yet. We use immersion to heat water for 1 hr/per day. What would peoples opinion be on getting a hot water diverter?"

Diverters are pretty much not economically viable, they are a convenience factor, in your case the cost of a diverter would come anywhere near pay back if you only need 1hour daily

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

I have very limited experience in this, so please excuse any simple things I have overlooked in the calculations here (these are partly for myself, not just for jamesmct).

SouthWesterly has e434, lets round to e450 as a quote for installing an immersion diverter. If the immersion is used for 1 hour a day, assuming a 3kw immersion, and a unit cost of 25c (future proofing!) after 600 days (0.25 * 3 * 600) the unit will have paid for itself if there is enough excess after the battery has been charged to heat the water up. Even if on average over the year it reduces the need for the immersion to be powered directly from the grid to half, that is 1200 days, or 3.25 years (in round figures). That is not a long time for payback on this element when people often quote 7, 8, 10 years for payback from solar pv systems.

Did I miss something in these calculations or can I use these to convince the financial controller in the house?

Did you just approach a local electrician for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 jamesmct007

Thanks Random and Slave.

I bow to your superior knowledge on the subject. I have been trying to educate myself but technicals are not my strong point.

My ESB bill is about 230 every 2 months. I would like to reduce this and solar pv seems to be a good way to do it and also to future proof for the coming years.

I suppose it would be good to know what system would be best. Use as much electric generated from solar to power daily requirements fridge, kettle, lights etc and then anything remaining to go to heating water or should I look at heating water first and then remaining power go to appliances. I want to reduce the amount of pwoer going back to the grid as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 frisbee!

Another small system quote to get your opinions on (very limited roof space and no ground space to add a few more panels there)

7 x 375W Q-cell panels - 2.63kW system (no battery)

Solis mini String Inverter

Renusol mounting system, home monitoring app

Marlec Solar iBoost diverter

€4900 after the grant, including getting the BER done again and 4 optimisers for the panels that will catch some shading from the chimney.

I've gotten quotes from 4 places now and all a similar price, leaning towards these guys as he was to only one to go up to the roof to confirm measurements, show us where all the cables etc would go, explain the limitations etc. One quote was closer to 4k but for Longi panels (which sound to be slightly lower quality from the Qcells?) and less panels.

This forum is the first place I've heard of solar as a service, is it basically that if your system is a small one it might not be worth your while buying it outright? Do they tend to let you buy out the panels on your roof after X years if having panels suits you?

Really appreciate all the info on here!

I have very little knowledge on this, am in a similar boat as yourself and trying to figure out costs, where money should go (higher spec panels vs battery vs diverter).

I think, and again a little knowledge can be dangerous and I only have a little knowledge, I would try to figure out where your power is going. If you know you are only running your immersion for 1 hour each day, and this is an accurate figure, and it is a 3kw unit, then you are using 3 units daily on that, 180 units every two months. Take your units used from your bill and you can see what percentage you are using for hot water. If one hour is accurate, you are probably using more units on the general every day appliances like kettles, tv, lighting etc. and using solar for that and diverting excess to the water heater is probably the best option.

From speaking to installers and reading here, and even your own question, I would say you need a bigger than 2kw battery for your system. Although if funds aren't available at the moment it is probably easier to install a bigger/2nd battery given the first is already installed.

• Advertisement

My 2.5kw system worked out at 2400 after grant. No diverter and I pay 20 a month for 10 years. Can buy them out but only an advantage if I want to add to the system.

Can get a diverter installed locally for 435

Did they say how much it would be to purchase them at the end of the ten years?

You're thinking incorrectly

It's 2400 after grant which is paid off over 10 years. The 1800 grant gets given to them when it hits your account, otherwise the payment is 40 a month which turns the 1800 in 2400.

It's very cheap credit in 2400.

We bought 2 extra panels for 400 each and paid when the job was done. It worked out much dearer if we wanted to pay over 10 years

When you said "Can buy them out but only an advantage if I want to add to the system" I took that as meaning that you could buy them out at the end, but reading what you have said just recently, they panels are yours at the end of the 10 years? That seems way too good a deal!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Fit as many panels as you can if you want to future proof yourself, trust me the power will always find a home.

I can guarantee you if you can fit 20 for example and only put up 10 you will be kicking yourself.

I started off with 16 now have 20 and hope to goto 26 next year and upgrade the inverter to 6kw from 5kw.

If you are going big make sure the inverter is at least 5 to 6 kw, 6kw is the max on a single phase domestic home.

Apologies for the multi quotes here, but came across this video for iBoost: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3KAPiYBeq8&ab_channel=CCLComponentsLtd it doesn't look to be that big of an install. Could maybe do it yourself and save a few quid?

The panels are yours. After grant its 2400.

The option is to pay it outright or pay the balance at any stage in the 10 years or pay at 19.99 to be exact at 120 months (10 years)

It's a no brainer for a small system.

I got 2 extra panels. Friends got 1 extra. We paid when for them after install. I've a 3.24kw system.

I have made contact with them and will see what they say. I have gotten many quotes from suppliers with batteries and without and even without they are more expensive than this. While a battery would be nice we don't have a big house and finding space for it will be a problem.

Would be interesting to hear if anyone else is using solar as a service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

I don't even have my one hooked up .... and I'd strongly echo what Maulbrook has said! My original thinking was 10x380 panels. Then I added 2x more, and then a week later the day I signed the deal I added 2 more :-) Cheaper to pay the extra 400 or so and add 2x panels now as a part of the same install as opposed to paying for a 2nd install (additional guy called out with ladder) to add more down the road. Now I'm pretty much max'd out on my roof.

Basically the energy will find a home. Might not be this year, but with energy prices going the way that they are (up), and the fact that in 5-10 years, we'll all have some form of electric car in the driveway be it hybrid or otherwise.....the energy will get used. And payback time is shorter with more panels as long as your using the energy. (You will)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

How do you currently heat your water. If you use immersion at day rate then by all means go for the diverter. Though if you have an oil or gas boiler you would be better off using either. Or if you only have an immersion, run it at night rate which is 8 or 9c. 25c saving is a ridiculous number. If you have a gas boiler your diverter will save you 5 or 6c per kWh. That makes your payback 4-5 times longer so 13-16 years. And you definitely won't have any excess for at least 4 months of the year.

• Advertisement

Gas boiler which is currently costing about 16c per kWh, rough conversion from m3. And always going up. You are correct otherwise, it wouldn't be a 25c saving per unit, will need to revise the figures. Thanks for the good advice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Unless your usage is extremely edge case, the diverter is generally a poor financial advice. Also, you might want to check that figure of 16c per Kwh for gas. Normally gas is cheaper than night rate electricity... putting it down around 6-8c per Kwh.

Prices | Energy Statistics In Ireland | SEAI - (scroll down a bit)

However, even if your using the hot water during the day, you can get clever and install a timer switch on the immersion. Get it to come on at say 7am and heat the water up to temp at night rate prices. That would of course presume that you have day/night rates available? Unless your tank is extremely lossy, you'd hold that temperature for a lot of the day or perhaps only require a 10 min "boost" to get it back up to temp later on in the day. So in reality you'd be unlikely to be paying 25C.

All that said, even though it's poor financial advise, I'd recommend getting one. The convenience of "free" (lol) hot water on tap for over half the year for a once off fee is kinda nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭garo

You must have your numbers wrong. Why do you need to convert from m3? All gas companies here bill in kWh and they apply the conversion. I find it really hard to believe you would be paying more than 6c/kWh. Check your bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

10.35kWh

In 1 litre of Kerosene, there are 10.35kWh of heat – so each kWh of oil works out at 3.2 pence per kWh. This is marginally cheaper than buying a unit of gas from the mains grid which works out at about 3.8p / kWh.17 Nov 2016

Just a quick Google.

I have no other clue

Thanks. All the above of course depends on oil prices

2 of the 4cof us got diverters. They also got smart meters which wasn't so smart.

I'm holding off on the diverter and as I got a new digital meter last year I assume am low on the list for a smart one.

No. No they do not. Maybe all mains gas suppliers bill in kWh but our metered estate does not.

From https://www.flogas.co.uk/frequently-asked-questions/gas-conversions 1 m3 is 3.85l of gas, 1l of propane gas is

7.08 kwh so let's round that to 28 kWh per m3 of propane. And each m3 costs 3.25 ex vat, works out about 14c per kWh Inc vat, excluding carbon tax. That last bill doesn't include the most recent 10% price increase, that is where the 16c comes from.

Bill part attached.

@garo when I used a figure of 25c earlier that was a rough estimate for electricity units from bonkers and allowing for an extra carbon tax and a general increase in the next few years, given the user specifically said they used the immersion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,135 ✭✭✭championc

Some of our estate was converted to smart meters. I met the guys when doing my neighbors house to ask as to why I wasn't on the list. It turned out that they were only doing all of the single tariff installs first and will come back around after all of those are completed and do the day / night ones later.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement