Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nintendo Switch Game News and Releases.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,579 ✭✭✭brevity

Eastward got a great review here.

not normally my type of game but might give it a shot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,593 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

There's enough remakes and remasters in there to suggest they might be on to something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,529 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

@brevity - that's a fantastic review. Good chunky game too. Added to Wishlist.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I don't have much hype for games these days but have been carrying a wee torch for this for a while now. Very excited to hear said hype might be real. Such a gorgeous looking game, and a good looking action RPG to boot.

Looks like Flynn: Son of Crimson is as good as I hoped it would be - Mini review (video embed blocked by IGG - sorry!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Fp0B2ZZ84k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,842 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

These devs really are going all-in for pixel art style exclusively it seems?

Doesn't take away from the amount of work it takes. Both games mentioned above are gorgeous. We've come a long way from the style they were inspired by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,007 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

The latest Nintendo Switch update is now available, including the ability to pair Bluetooth devices for audio output.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,842 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Ah man this is excellent news... it's the only reason I lug my wired headphones everywhere whereas I use my buds for everything else!

• Advertisement

Weird that it took 4 years. The functionality was under the hood the whole time.

I'd say the guys in Genki, UGreen, Gulikit and co. all woke up to the bad news this morning.

In fairness, they've made a fortune off their bluetooth dongles, so it's not all bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

Might pick this up. Wonder how it compares to the drift mechanics of the old Ridge Racer games? I used to love those!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Took nearly 4 years but finally they have Bluetooth headphone support. There is an option to update the dock's firmware too which I hadn't seen before.

It took just over 4 and a half years. There's hope yet for a web browser on Switch... after another 4 and a half years. 😜 Nah, that's not happening.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Who needs a web browser on their Switch, though? I mean, I remember sticking the Netflix channel on my Wii because it was there, but I never used it. And odds are good anyone who has a Switch also has a device in their pocket that can do Web Stuff better than a half-arsed Nintendo browser...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Would be useful if you could play xcloud/stadia on it.

Will there ever be an update that simplifies the switching the orientation of the joycons when playing two player in docked mode? Why do I have to navigate into settings by holding the controllers sideways etc. instead of just hitting the side buttons on both joycons and having it happen automatically?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Irish Halo

Isn't the web browser the root of many exploits on older Nintendo consoles? I can see why they might shy away from providing one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Why on earth would anyone want to browse the internet on their Switch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,342 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Absolutely blows my mind that the functionality for Bluetooth was sitting there for four years just waiting for Nintendo to turn it on. I mean they created a whole Switch product in third-party Bluetooth adapters because people were looking for any kind of solution and then, all of a sudden, they just turn it on.

Nintendo will never make sense to me.

• Advertisement

Why would it be "half-arsed"? The Wii U browser was great and I've heard many people say it was the best of all the consoles at the time. I used it all the time, in game, stuck, go check Gamefaqs, Youtube, whatever. Or just used it in general to browse.

"A device in their pocket". Like this great setup?

Project Winter - Nintendo Switch Release Announcement

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It would have to have broken the trend of the franchise, because I thought they were universally awful!

From the original in the arcade and ported to the N64, and the later games, they were simplistic and the handling model was awful.

There have been so many fantastic arcade racers, from Ridge Racer/Ridge Racer Revolution/Rage Racer on the PS to more recent titles like the fantastic Split Second on the 360, the Cruisin' games are dreadful.

And I say that as a massive fan of Eugene Jarvis' arcade output, which includes the greatest game of all time, Robotron!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,073 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Of the features I want Nintendo to focus on for the Switch, a web browser is somewhere behind the regimental donkey, figuratively speaking. I'd much rather they focus on things like Joycon drift or adding games to the virtual console part of the online service.

I realise this is anecdotal, but I've not heard any Switch owner I know say "god I wish this thing had a browser". Mind you, I also don't know anyone itching to go on the internet using a browser that doesn't support adblockers. (Might be just me but if I'm playing a game and need to look at a guide I try and do it on my phone, because that way I don't have to back and forth between game and guide on the same screen...)

While you rightly criticise Nintendo's cack approach to voicechat on the Switch, I could point to exactly that as an example of why I wouldn't want them to then write a web browser (which almost certainly won't have adblockers) because it would to my mind represent a security liability for precious little gain. The last thing I want is the risk of my Switch being crypto'd via unblockable ads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,050 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

It's not really my cup of tea and definitely doesn't look to be enough in it for me to pay full whack but it's getting universally good reviews on the Switch YouTube channels I watch. All 8/10 ish.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

This is one very pretty Pikmin-a-like:

but it's the new version in question and not any of old ones...

as said above it has been getting good reviews on the whole

of course it's at the arcade end of arcade and far more about hitting the speed boost lines on the track, getting drift boosts from drifting, using turbo boosts and doing the odd silly stunt than actually even using the brake and people should know that if they are considering it

probably one to look for on sale as it's priced a bit high really at launch I would say

Eastward - Launch Trailer - Nintendo Switch

84% from 5 reviews on Metacritic.

I'd pay attention to the last 2 reviews over the first 3. They say the gameplay doesn't keep up with it's nice looks, charm and story. I'd like to see more sites review it, and recognisable ones at that.

I'll take a punt on it if it pops up in the lower end of the 40s with a physical cartridge. Can't see it all on Smyths or Argos sites.

• Advertisement

The Castlevania Advance collection has been rated in Taiwan.

Circle of the Moon, Harmony of Dissonance, and Aria of Sorrow

Oh yes please.

Advertisement