Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post returning packages from outside the EU-See 1st post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭deezell

This is probably the most unsavoury element of these new arrangements. Previously if a packet was stopped and VAT assessed, you paid at the point of collection, your local post office. Like a Mexican standoff, you with the VAT and fee in one hand, the Post Mistress with your parcel in hers. No parcel, no pay. Now it appears you can pay this VAT, unawares that there's another issue in the Queue which is going to get your parcel sent back anyway. I don't think I'd hand over the VAT unless I could have a post dated payment. I'd certainly reverse a credit card one.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,025 ✭✭✭Patser

Ok, I think I've fallen foul of all this.

Was waiting in something from Ebay UK - a tracksuit top - and Ebay now arranges postage, VAT, Duty etc.

Just checked An Post tracking there after seeing this thread and it says - 2nd Spetember received Dublin Mail Centre. Then 10th We could not deliver your post. We wil try return it to sender. Athlone Mail Centre

So that's pretty much customs I'd guess? So now what, wait for seller to get in touch and see what went wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,046 ✭✭✭OU812

This happened to me today. The item was due a couplenn no of weeks ago and they’d already refunded me so no issues there.

it’s concerning though that the reason given was “refused” when it never arrived with no attempt at delivery (small envelope sized item).

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭andrewfaulk

How do you know AN post didn't communicate the required information to their customers(overseas Postal operators) and that the overseas operators ignored them and sent forward packages with the wrong details anyway..

The carbon foot print of sending small packages/parcels and other volumetric cargo back to origin is neglible as it makes space of belly cargo space that would likely otherwise be empty anyway..

The solution, and what people in this thread should be pushing for is to "swim with the tide" and work with what An Post are trying to achieve rather than just complaining or wasting their time.. The more people push back on overseas sellers and highlight to them that the non-delivery is in fact their issue and that they need to follow up/put pressure on the local postal carriers to fix the issue, the quicker it gets resolved.. Complaining to An Post customer service or paying sellers to re-post something that they never delivered in the first place will achieve nothing.. Political pressure is unlikely to either, as I would imagine An Post have a solid business case for how they are handling this one

• Registered Users Posts: 8,025 ✭✭✭Patser

An Post really are just a law onto themselves - no reasoning needed, just send it back, quickest way for us to process everything. Refuse it and send it back. No comeback beyond copy paste answer. No complaint process.

• Advertisement

Yes most likely.. but the alternative is a broken Postal system that will be over whelmed with parcels missing information.. That or hiring large numbers of staff to deal with the admin nightmare, which would not be viable and certainly not for €3.50 a pop

It was viable at €10 a pop. They'd email you for the online invoice to correctly determine what you paid (ignoring the fractional value stated on the customs label), then bill you for 23% of this plus €10, payable on collar the counter. On moderately priced items it was reasonable value on certain goods. A €100 item that was retailing at twice that would cost you €133.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Sparkling Gamorreans

This is the point. We don't know what's happened here. The communications from An Post are laconic and uninsightful. If we are expected to be the agents of change then arm us accordingly with clear expectations as to what we should be doing and the absolute basic baby steps to be able to articulate to merchants what they need to be doing in full knowledge that there will be significant language barriers. An Post could hold their hands up, acknowledge the difficulty, express empathy, ask us to row in with them if this is what they want. This is a matter of public interest as opposed to seeking business sensitive knowledge from a private company in a competitive sector. This needs to be discussed more openly.

Apologies, I forgot to address your point on carbon footprint. On the matter of this cargo simply taking up otherwise empty space, does additional weight no increase the rate of fuel consumption? I thought we're looked at ways to reduce this small cumulative impacts which could be avoided rather than making excuses in all instances for the little things that add up.

The average parcel is about 1kg or 1.5kg, so essentially meaningless in any fuel burn calculation for a modern aircraft.. The aircraft is still going to fly whether and Post have 100kgs or 1000kgs of mail to load on board.. You could just as equally argue brining a packed lunch onboard instead of waiting till you arrive to eat is bad for the environment..

So in this discussion the carbon footprint isn't really a factor..

• Advertisement

It was viable at €10 a Pop at lower volumes..

Also bear in mind you would be paying €10 as the fee on an item that cost under €22

Andrew, are you privy to the volumes being sent back? How do you know it's of negligible quantity? Are the parcels being returned at the rate in which they're being marked for return or is the pile stacking?

I'm sure An Post don't want to publicly come out and say "We told the lads our in CHINA/UK/US how to send them parcels with the new fangled EDIs but the g*bshites wouldn't listen so we sent them back all the parcels" or similar.. After all it would mean bad mouthing your customers to the world at large..

Like I said, best thing to do is get everyone to push back on sellers and remind them the they choose to use Post to deliver(could equally use a courier if they wanted) so it it up to them to get the package delivered..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,872 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Meaningless on the aircraft maybe but transporting them to/from the airport, to/from the sorting offices multiple times, to/from customs etc. adds up.

In costs yes, as part of a load of bulk mail again meaningless.. An Post would have a truck going anyway with the exports, so just fill out any available space with returns..

The shipments don't physically travel to customs, customs clearance is an electronic process while the goods are in an An Post warehouse or sorting facility

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Didnt they already cause upset with their post pointing at small UK businesses not knowing how to mark packages or something?

Edit with link

https://twitter.com/LullabyLaneBaby/status/1435623274684338176?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

If something is returned or the custom charges are refused, is there any way to track its whereabouts once the refusal is submitted?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭rf4c

I really must take andrewfaulk to task over his vehement defence of An Post, whatever his reasons.

1) Sheer volume of parcels make manual customs clearance impossible. If you read my post, you'd see that the right to return parcels would still remain with An Post, but in a reasonable arrangement where the onus would be on the recipient to supply the paperwork (electronically) in quick time. If it was incorrect or slow, sure go ahead and return the parcel. I'd even be happy for An Post to charge a "processing fee" to the recipient to be paid when entering the Tarrif Info to Customs.

2) Sheer volumes make it impossible for An Post to cope? Sorry I'm not buying it. David McRedmond received an award from the Irish Times for the massive GROWTH of An Post. If not in capacity, where was this growth, price hikes? cut backs? To me, this massive increase in parcels simply equals more job opportunities. Let An Post create jobs and watch REAL growth.

3) On the matter of aircraft fuel burn, please don't make the assumption that "the aircraft is going there anyway" is an intelligent observation of fuel burn, because it certainly is not. Unless you can tell me the inner workings of a Boeing 737, please don't offer opinions on subjects you clearly don't understand.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

It seems to be packed out warehouse one minute, and negligible amounts being returned the next. Who is paying for the returns, BTW?

• Advertisement

What does O'Leary charge for a single Kilo overweight on your baggage? It's far from trivial, and that's not to China either.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,926 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Internet shoppers are hardly the best placed group to take the moral high ground on the environment.

Sorry for being the contrarian who doesn't just join in with the moaning..

The lack of storage space precludes 1.. We saw this in March/April 2020 when An Post where swamped with the surge in parcel volumes coming in to the extent they were running out of warehouse space to put it before sorting.. You also didn't address where the trained staff to administer this are meant to appear from, who is going to pay them or how it actually resolves the issue for the long term

David McRedmond was lauded for pivoting away from old dead end business like letters to parcels/ecommerce/fulfilment etc. The growth is in volume and profitability. How much is down to him, and how much to market forces that he benefited from I cannot say

On 3, please do tell you valuable insights into Air Cargo or Aircraft Engineering..

The vast majority of mail travels on scheduled passenger flights as belly cargo only, and there is an excess of belly cargo capacity leaving this island every single day. So yes the aircraft is going anyway for the passengers, the mail in the hold in coincidental in revenue terms, aircraft MTOW and fuel burn.

What do you want to know about the B737? Any particular Gen or Model?

Cool. We'll not consider the environmental impact of any other action because people shop online. Do you have any particular dog in this fight or any undeclared vested interest?

The environment theme running on this thread will make zero difference to what An Post and Revenue is doing or not doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Explain to me the difference in carbon footprint between me buying something online and me driving to the shop to buy the same thing, and none of these nonsense 'studies', which are the new economics.

I take it everyone will be happy to have their parcels returned by sea mail, if every avenue to get them delivered has been exhausted. The Swedish authorities are patting themselves on the back for being environmentally friendly by doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 RollingSun2000

I don't like the suggestion of putting the pressure on the senders. It's sounds like advising people on how to avoid angering an abusive partner. "I don't know what is setting him off, but just avoid angering him and we will be okay. It's not his fault, you just didn't make it the way he likes it. I don't know how he likes it, but you must be doing it wrong..."

It also doesn't make sense for us to put pressure on senders. An Post need to clarify what exactly is going wrong. No vague comments about electronic data or wrong labels, I want it spelled out what exactly the error looks like. Nothing seems to have changed with regards to sending to other EU countries. While An Post's advise to us is vague, senders don't get any advice! just a sticker saying rejected or requires CN23 (when it doesn't). That CN23 debacle is interesting too, it feels like An Post are upgrading to a new label processing system before the rest of the world.

Other countries don't seem to be rejecting mail at the same rate (if at all) like Ireland. The VAT regulation might be new, but the process isn't. If anything, this could be an indication of how lacks Ireland was when processing VAT and imports before the new regulations were introduced.

I said in an earlier page, I had four packages from the same sender sent within the same month (August). This month they arrived into Ireland. Week after week, I saw three of the packages be returned. But the fourth package arrived yesterday just fine, I was emailed to pay fees and I promptly did, regardless of my fear of the package still being returned after being paid (I hope the abusive partner analogy is sinking in). It's already been suggested that the electronic data must have been correct on that one. I doubt that in the space of four weeks, the sender or Japan Post had an epiphany and filled in that data correctly but not for the others.

I also mentioned in an earlier page that I emailed an international mail forwarding service in Japan. Even they have noticed Ireland is the problem country.

There are some people coming in here defending An Post, and I wonder if you are reading the previous posts. This isn't a case of inexperienced senders making glaring obvious mistakes (if only it was, then senders wouldn't repeat the error while attempting to resend the package).

• Registered Users Posts: 12 RollingSun2000

You keep bring up Swedish authorities returning packages. That was a different situation, people didn't want to pay the fees, so they returned everything.

I don't want anything returned. I will (begrudgingly) pay the fees. I just want my packages! And so does everyone else sharing their own experience in this thread.

However, I do think the environment conscious route is a waste of time, only because the politicians and authorities don't necessarily care about it, they just expect the rest of us to care (politicians tend to be hypocrites, IMO).

• Advertisement

Regarding your last paragraph, I'm still trying to wrap my head around what onus exists on the exporter. Is it up to the courier/postal carrier to complete the electronic CN22/CN23 and provide the TARIC? Is the onus on the exporter to ensure the carrier/courier is familiar with these things? Or does a person walk into the post office and say "CN22 please" and ensure they put the TARIC code in? What are the parties of sender and receiver exactly supposed to do on a step by step basis? I've seen multiple people ask on this thread where can they find a CN22, how to input an electronic CN22, or what they're supposed to tell the exporter and I don't know if I am missing something but I've not noticed this explained clearly.

Advertisement