Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Katherine Zappone Envoy Gig

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

It is fact that there was a leak. If there was no leak we would never have heard of the Zappone story. FG has form in leaking so it's no stretch to say it was a FG cabinet member. You might find it a stretch that it was Harris but I and countless others don't. It was also telling tonight how Donnelly answered questions on this on Prime Time.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,986 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Morning 😏

So the Indo quite happy to confirm the childish antics of a FG Junior Minister albeit only confirming what's been widely reported over the past number of weeks.

Will we now see him and others called to explain themselves.

As I've said many times, something clearly went on and requires explanation. There's now at least 6 FG TD"s caught up in this, given past history, one is bound to let something slip.

"Junior Fine Gael minister O ’Donovan boasted about Cabinet sting operation - Independent.ie" https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/junior-fine-gael-minister-odonovan-boasted-about-cabinet-sting-operation-40859260.html

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,164 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

The narrative has unfortunately been stomped on by people in the media and politics who are against it for simplistic populist reasons. As i mentioned above 150 of the 200 million is to go directly on infrastructure that would have been invested in anyway this just makes it a priority in the next 3 years instead of 10. Also the projected benefit to the local economy was at the high ranges 500 mil+

Anyway it looks like the Americas Cup Committee want us to reconsider as the day we announced we werent going forward with the bid they out of nowhere extended the bid window so hopefully people see sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

That's not the point. Concluding from the O'Donovan incident that Harris was the leaker is a big big stretch. We can conclude he is prone to talk to journalists about his fellow TDs, which won't do much for his future standing in FG, but Cabinet leaks are a whole other level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

"Sting Operation." 😂

• - "I was on the radio talking about KZ"

That journalist mustn't be the sharpest tool in the box. All they had to do was ring the radio station or check out their website and see if they had an online playback section or listings.

Post edited by Suckit on

Fine Gael ran a sting operation to expose that the Minister, Deputy Harris, had leaked the appointment from the Cabinet meeting because that is how business is done.

Above the exact words said by Matt Carty , I'm still struggling to find what exactly he said wrong albeit perhaps a little presumptuous to name names (at this stage) . This said its very curious the the Junior minister alleged to have commenced the childish sting is named without Dail privilege in outside reporting and yet he seems very very shy in defending his reputation, indeed he's been terribly quite generally late .

Curious too Leo's "not entirely correct ' comments when questioned in the Dail about the allegations, is he saying some of the facts are correct 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

What's stopping the minister for TikTok coming out swinging here to clear his name?

Of course this could all be easily resolved if (seen him described as this on Twitter) Patrick "please miss, you forgot to give us homework miss" O'Donovan comes out and tells us who the minister was that he gave false information to..... And in the process, dragging another politician into the sorry mess.

The nothing burger lingers on!,

A nation awaits with baited breath 😬

Post edited by McMurphy on

Amazing or perhaps curious FG TDs led by Leo giving a distinct impression of "what is everyone talking about" and of course as we've said a telling reluctence of Harris and The now named Junior minister to Defend their Allegedly Tarnished reputations.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭BobHopeless

FG'ers keep digging the hole deeper and deeper. How Martin can stand by and whip his party into line for these crooks i'll never know. Weak leader.

• Advertisement

Paschal the Rascal on the lunch time news, just asked if there's a problem with leaks , throwing it back to Taoiseach to investigate.

Not answering if an investigation appropriate.

Asked 3 times , 3 none discript answer's.

Consistent, at least

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

You're missing the point blanch- Im not concluding that Harris was the leaker- it is Varadkar and FG themselves who concluded it back when this was all reported by several political journalists in August. Im just relaying what the journalists reported on who was outed within FG as the leaker. Varadkar sent o'Donovan to set up a trap which Harris fell into and then later dragged Harris in for questioning and accused him of being the leaker.

Leo Varadkar has questioned a Cabinet minister believed to be behind a damaging Government leak.

It comes after text message evidence was taken to the Tánaiste by a junior minister who set up an extraordinary ruse to identify the source of recent breaches of Cabinet confidentiality, the Sunday Independent can reveal. 

When presented with the junior minister’s evidence, the minister concerned is understood to have denied to the Fine Gael leader he was the source of the leak — which occurred during Cabinet last week — about the appointment of Katherine Zappone to the role of UN special envoy for freedom of expression.

I agree with you that just becasue Harris was caught in the sting by o'Donovan doesnt necessarily mean he was also the leaker of the Zappone information. But Varadkar held his kangaroo court on the matter and thats the conclusion he has drawn as to who it was and thats what the media reported about. Im sure he had more evidence than what we know about, theres 15 people around that table and if someone at it is furiously texting away during the Cabinet meeting it is not as if other people arent going to notice it.

At the end of the day someone in that Cabinet leaked, if you disagree with Varadkars conclusion that it was Harris which led to him directly accusing him then who in Cabinet do you think it was? The Zappone info didnt fall from the sky onto a journalists lap, its been widely reported that not only was it leaked from Cabinet but even worse it was leaked in real time while the meeting was still ongoing. The leaker was so giddy with the information that they couldnt even wait for the meeting to finish before contacting a journalist. Its also of note that Harris was so giddy with the o'Donovan disinformation that he immediately rang a journalist and o'Donovan got a phone call about it just minutes after being off the phone with Harris. Theres certainly a pattern there and both Harris' contacts to journalists were trying to cause damage using the Zappone affair so Harris had a vested interest in this story for sure, he wanted journalists to know about it and to be publishing stories on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,663 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Just another point on the sting operation led by Patrick o'Donovan on Simon Harris - about two or three days before this was all reported in the media Simon Harris tweeted out a photograph of himself and o'Donovan at some local event in Harris' constituency in Wicklow. So as part of the sting operation o'Donovan travelled to Wicklow to sell the lie to Harris that he was right behind him on his disgust at how Coveney went about trying to shoehorn Zappone into the UN on the last day of Cabinet before they broke up for summer.

o'Donovan roped Harris into making him think he was his mate and they were both on the same page and that o'Donovan could be trusted. I can just imagine Varadkars glee at seeing Harris tweeting out a photo of him shaking the hand of his Brutus who was only there to stab him in the back. So when the next Cabinet re-shuffle comes around nobody should be surprised when Harris gets demoted and o'Donovan gets made a senior Minister, Patrick passed the test showed that he is willing to get his hands dirty in order to climb up the political ladder.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The ball is most definitely in Simon's court now.

He said he is seriously considering making a complaint on the leak accusation. Go on then, do it.

If he doesn't do it, it will look like it's entirely true. If he does make the complaint, he needs to ensure there is no evidence.

Another weekend of intriguing radio shows and newspaper articles awaits! 🙂

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Simon won't do anything as he knows he is guilty as sin. Thats two FG ministers that we now of that have leaked over the past few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Leo knows the optics of sanctioning him (or anyone else) for doing so would be terrible too. What an absolute bunch of gombeens they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

It is truly the gift that keeps on giving. The Shinners can't believe their luck. Must be a day for them to buy lottery tickets

• Registered Users Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭ooter

catherine martin on the claire byrne radio show a few weeks ago said the cz cabinet leak wasnt a matter for the taoiseach, it was a matter for the fg party.

• Advertisement

It is the gift that keeps giving, rarely has previous political Shenanigans giving so much, in every respect and certainly not lasted as long as this has, but of course had a resignation occurred weeks ago we probably wouldn't still be discussing it, months and months on 🤔😁

• Registered Users Posts: 52,010 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I don’t have much time for politicians of any hue and colour as I’ve said often here and this entire episode has done nothing to make me change my mind.

This had everything, cronyism, corruption, jobs for boys, lies, cover ups, protect the status quo at all costs, I’m alright Jack and keep our jobs at all costs.

I’m totally disgusted as a result of this episode where FF, FG, Labour and Independents all voted to protect themselves at all costs rather than protect what is truth and what is right. It’s sad to think that a party I have never voted for are now the only party that can hold their heads high.

Shame on all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BackOfMyBag

well said tayto lover, I live and work in a part of the uk for a while now (iom) and a few of my work colleagues here couldn't believe our parliament actually voted to support an act of cronyism lies and corruption ! theyre an absolute disgrace !!

• Registered Users Posts: 86,757 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Not all surprising, he won't touch this bait with a barge pole , it's FG's mess 😏

MM Stating "let's get real here" has become his go to quote . In fairness I don't blame him passing this shambles back to FG.

I haven't heard, Has Simon Harris dealt with that little complaint yet 🤔, 3 days in and still a cloud of suspicion simmering over that character of his. I was reminded of Leo's other little Travails earlier, threats of all sorts of actions and consequences about an article published that wasn't to his liking, those action's never occurred either.

I've a feeling a number of FG TD'S relieved their former hapless Leader put his foot in it, on the MDH story today, made an epic ejit of himself, a Genuine nothing burger story that acted as a distraction for the day 😏

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭Brucie Bonus

Is this what's upsetting you?

“Rather than dealing with the debacle, Fine Gael were running a sting operation to expose that Simon Harris had leaked the appointment from the Cabinet meeting.

He merely told what has been the talk for months. Says here that he's claiming the Fine Gael lads were trying to expose Harris as the leaker. Should be Leo and O'Donovan clutching pearls and Harris asking them. But we all know it's true, hardly a big big stretch. I'll tell you how we'll know, if Leo leaks texts about it or Sio drops this like a hot snot within days.

This Zappone thing ain't going anywhere fast.

I suspect Harris will go off on planned paternity leave ( Alan Kelly of all people, pairing for him whilst leave) & we'll hear no more from Simon on the matter , that doesn't mean it's gone away 🤭😏

Gone away? As the Carpenters famously said We've Only Just Begun.

• Advertisement

It's quite amazing, whilst can understand The pretend Taoiseach not wanting to investigate, you'd think he might at least ask a number of journalists about the 3 FG TD's that The Sting Master Junior minister was boasting about exactly. The Indo in particular know who these TDs are, I'd be pretty sure an order of Silence in the FG ranks has been issued from FG HQ

Advertisement