Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

‘I spent two hours crying’

• 17-09-2021 9:25am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

...because the Olympia Theatre is now called the 3Olympia Theatre..

So the daughter of the former owner (owner for 20 of it's 98 years) of the 3Olympia spent 2 hours crying because of the cultural vandalism that has taken place because they took an 8 year sponsorship deal with mobile operator 3, and renamed the venue the 3Olympia Theatre...

Personally I don't care what the place is called in the corporate world, and I'm sure the vast vast majority of people will still call it the Olympia.

In these troubled times a business must do what it needs to do in order to survive, and I can only imagine the injection of cash from 3 will help keep the 3Olympia going for at least the next 8 years!! Or would she rather it just shut up shop for good and was turned into an Apple store, or some uber hi-tech offices or something??

Her father actually took sponsorship from Heineken to rename a bar in the theatre the Heineken Bar... which was fine of course.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I don't understand the public rowing in behind these sponsorship deals. Lansdowne Road is Lansdowne Road. Why would anyone call it the Aviva? Equally the Point is the Point. I don't even know what the official name is anymore. Last I heard it was the O2 but I assume it is not that anymore. As you said I can't see too many people actually using the company name and will continue to call it the Olympia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Amongst people I know most call it Aviva stadium and the 3 Arena these days. This will probably happen with the Olympia now as well.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Exactly, these 'sponsored names' only exist in the corporate & media worlds, for everyone else it'll still be the Olympia, Lansdowne Road, The Point Depot/Theatre etc....

I can only imagine the outrage when Croke Park gets remained the 'Brennan's Bread Arena!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,647 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I call the Aviva and Aviva too and same with the 3Arena, but reference old gigs as being "back when it was The Point".

But 3Olympia is just too goddamn retarded. I can't see that catching on ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

When I think of the ‘Lansdowne Road Stadium’, I think of wooden benches with those metal arm rests, pipe/cigar smoke, metal roof support beams, old men wearing green rosettes and button nosed kids offering you a toffee. That’s the old stadium though, I’d call the new one ‘The Aviva’ because it’s a whole new “setup”. Looks completely different, inside and out.

I’d still called it ‘The Point’, though. Probably because it’s easier than ‘The 3 Arena’ and, again probably, because I haven’t been in the newer venue as much.

Won’t be calling ‘The Olympia’ anything else for a good while, not unless it’s changed unrecognisably.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭85603

I want the money but not the other bit.

Boo hoo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

that's old person talk, like people in my village calling Centra "murphys" etc and go to centra for their "messages"

Business does what it needs to do to survive. Let them at it. They'll cry more if it shuts up shop and gets sold for apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Scoundrel

I'm going to go out of my way to call it the 3Olympia now after reading this drivel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

Two hours crying. Ffs she hasn’t much to worry her. I’d love to see what she’d do if she ever has a real problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,713 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

How is 3Olympia even pronounced? I think this consideration will lead to most people still calling it "the Olympia"; if you wanted a name that people would actually use, you wouldn't pick one that they will goggle at.

Worth pointing out that this theatre has changed its name many times. It started out as The Star of Erin Music Hall, and went through a number of changes. At one point it was The Empire Palace, but in 1923 they thought that might not be such a crash-hot idea so they changed it to the Olympia. However for decades afterwards, the letters E-M-P-I-R-E still appeared in the six panels of the fanlight window. I remember that, and I'm not that old.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Just signed a sponsorship deal myself there. The kids have to call me 3Daddy from now on. I won't answer to anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,908 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

3Olympia just looks like a typo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Its the Olympia Threeatre

I hope someone in her family is checking in on her because she's clearly mentally unbalanced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,517 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

The 3Arena and Aviva Stadium were entirely rebuilt and redeveloped with the assistance of sponsorship money so their 'corporate' names don't bother me at all. I hate this name because its a rebrand where a company has plastered its name on the front of it after the fact. That said, the '3 Olympia' is a very meh name which doesn't exactly roll of the tongue so people will probably just continue to call it The Olympia given how similar the name is.

Whatever the case, I'd rather it remained open with a rank name than closed down being a martyr to having no sponsors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Olymp3a would have worked better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,095 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Or some creative Roman numerals: Olympiiia

When I read that she spent two hours crying about the name change my first thought was 'Does she care about the place at all?' A travesty like this is worth at least a 48 hour cry followed by a two week hunger strike and an appearance on the Late Late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭Motivator

Everything about the article screamed “ccccccuuuuuûuuunnnnnnt” about Tara Sinnott and a quick google search confirmed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

I know very few people who still refer (in the present tense) to The Point Depot or Lansdowne Rd. It amazes me how readily people acquiesce to these ridiculous new names.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

I call the Aviva and 3 Arena rather than Lansdowne Road or The Point because Lansdowne Road and the Point were eseentially knocked down and rebuilt. they aren't the same places.

If they simply renamed a venue, I probably wouldn't go far with the new name (or be bothered either way to be honest) but in the cases mentioned, it wasn't as simple as just sticking a new name on an existing venue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 267 ✭✭boardlady

Is it not just a generational thing? I remember it opening as the Point and attending some of the earlier gigs ... someone half my age probably never knew it as the Point so would never use that name .. Another sign of my decay I suppose 🤨

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

3Glasnevin Cemetery next

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

"In these troubled times" ......What FCUKiNG "troubled times" would those be now? The Olympia Theatre opened in 1879. Since then there has been little episodes like, Oh, A Rising, World War 1, a War Of Independence, a Civil War, and Economic War, World War 2 the spilloff from Troubles in the North, a few crippling recessions like in the 80's, a global financial collapse in 2008, etc. But of course all these are just picnics compared to "these troubled times". FFS.

How does it amaze you? The 3Arena and Aviva Stadium are brand new structures. The Point Depot and Lansdowne Road Stadium were demolished.

Everyone is WOKE in the present "troubled times"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

😉Who would draw the biggest crowd to their appearance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Olympia was always a lame sort of name anyway. There's a crowd over in Scotland, Aberdeen something who have renamed themselves abrdn.

the same goes for music idols. In 2014 there was a noticeable opposition against a certain American artist.

2021, apparently the same fella has legions of fans, gagging for tickets and can't get enough of himi can't stand him.

Some might be confused about it referring to a type of Google pixel phone though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 950 ✭✭✭Burt Renaults

Because the names are meaningless, have absolutely no history behind them, and were merely slapped on for commercial reasons. They might have been rebuilt, but they're in the exact same locations as before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,729 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Did the 3Olympia have to completely shut though during the world wars? Or in the 80's when the vast majority of people didn't have a pot to piss in, did it have to shut?

'These troubled times' refers to a period when this and many a venue like it were forced to close, and therefore completely shut off their revenue stream..

Yeah the 80's were fairly **** economically, but that didn't mean people weren't still going to shows in theatres...

They were slapped on so that the structures were affordable and viable to build. Otherwise, no buildy.

Versus the Olympia where the name was slapped on for sponsorship. Very different situations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’ll always call it the Olympia because for my lifetime I always have. Same as the Point...if they rename Vicar St...Toyota Vicar St I’m not going to be telling anybody I’m going to the Toyota to see XX... I’ll be going to Vicar st...

London was the first real European capital to embrace the renaming of music venues to incorporate the names of corporations seeking to advertise by paying to hijack the name..

SSE Wembley Arena

Eventim Apollo - Hammersmith Apollo

O2 Brixton Academy

O2 Shepherds Bush Empire

i doubt the names of those companies are spoken by people in relation to their booking or night out...

the Olympia is a wonderful venue, I hope they don’t in addition to naming rights further tacky up the place plaster the building in garish ‘3’ signs and crappy bunting everywhere ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,211 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

“cultural vandalism”…

It’s still sinking in, but that’s all I took from the article 😒

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

Oh to be so rich your emotional response is only triggered by a name change of a building 🙄

Thing is, if the venue didn't get sufficient sponsorship and closed down, people would be clamouring for it to reopen under any name once its open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,790 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Willis Tower in Chicago will always be Sears tower to me....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,973 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Think people understandably associate a location with it's prominent name at the time they were going to it or paying a lot of attention to it. Hence some people still referring to the Aviva as Lansdowne Rd.

I remember people talking about going to gigs in 'The O2' as it was before 3 bought that company. If you asked a teenager now where was 'The Point' most of them wouldn't know where you were talking about.

I do dislike seeing the corporate branding come in as it does, but such is life. The days of Barcelona playing without a sponsor on their jersey are long behind us. But apparently the rights to the naming of the 3Arena (as the O2 Arena rather than The Point) were sold for 25M in 2008 for 10 years. That seems a pretty astonishing figure equating to nearly 50K a week, every week, for 10 years. And that was negotiated in late 2008 apparently as the financial collapse hit. It gets better, the deal in 2018 was worth 55M over the next 10 years, or 106K/week. You would think that that sort of money would go a long way in keeping the venue operational meaning tickets and refreshment sales are not necessary for that side of things.

Obviously Olympia isn't getting that sort of money but few theatres could afford to turn down easy money like this if they were being honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,068 ✭✭✭✭neris

some people will do anything for attention and to create abit of "look at me" drama.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,337 ✭✭✭Archeron

Looks like Olympia but with an arse sticking in from the left. The Arseolympia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,834 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

What’s next ?

The Heinz Tomato Ketchup Aras An Uachtaráin ?

The Mountain Dew Dáil Éireann ?

The Dairy Milk Chester Beatty Library ?

literally life is a fûcking billboard now... every website, entertainment venue, area around a Q you are in, magazine you read ( about a quarter of it adds) , airline you are on... and adds... next you’ll have somebody reading the Bible and... “ this crucifixion and resurrection is brought to you by Centra.. Order online and get your lunch or groceries with our delivery or collection services “...

are our local pubs going to be ... blaring out messages over speakers... “welcome to Cumiskeys, your friendly local in your local area, sponsored by Rennie, Rennie helps relieve tummy problems including heartburn, indigestion and trapped wind. Fast Effective Relief from Heartburn & Indigestion...ask your bar staff today about our pint special”..

if it’s Beamish you might be glad of the Rennie hmmm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

I was thinking Olympia 3 but that sounds like a miscarriage of justice. Or a movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 429 ✭✭Madeoface

Cried for two hours... really?

This 'cultural vandalism' is right up there with Isis destroying the antiquities of Iraq alright.

Last time I needed to cry for two hours it was IN the Olympia watching some dreadful hammy play with the usual coterie of awful actors and lovvies...

It’s a bit crass, to put it mildly.

I would rather see 3 sponsoring some shows and events in the normal way. Renaming a Victorian era theatre doesn’t make me want to subscribe to 3, quite the opposite actually.

I mean, yeah, theatres and venues have to make money, but we also don’t have to sell our soul to do so.

What’s next the all Ireland final at Krispy Kreme Park?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

It depends on the generation you are in, start asking young people for directions and see how far you get…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

My wife knows this eejit through the PR and social scene in Dublin going back years (her mate used to be a social diarist - and yes its as wanky as it sounds) and eejit is the only word for her. She worked as an agent and manager but had basically no clients and nobody respected her anyway. Her Da threw her a few quid to set her up to get her out from under his feet.

I wouldn't mind, but the theatre hasnt been in her family for 20 odd years, Denis Desmond bought it yonks ago!

I'm only sorry they didn't rename it the Canesten theatre in her honour, cos she really is an irritating c.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement