Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭jmreire

Hearsay.....thats where you get your info..My experiences were different, I can assure you!!! Up close and personal, in fact. One of the paperweights I have in my office is piece of shrapnel from a mortar that exploded in the street outside, I was lucky ( black cat 9 lives + lucky in fact ) Not so lucky the poor woman and her child that were walking on the footpath across the road. Trust me Dick,my experiences were far from hearsay. I saw upclose and personal Islams inhumanity...live and in full color. Which goes a long way to explain my position on it, especially the radical version.

Given the choice of Shah Resa, and his Savak secret police, and the present dictatorship, they would vote hands down for the return of the Shah. They are completely corrupt, and the big crime of some of the VICE officialls being caught in a brothel, was the fact that they were caught. In a way, it's easy to see how the Israeli's can penetrate their defenses, when they can bribe their way into everyhing..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭Cordell

No government or power in the world can ever end the practice of any religion. It is simply impossible.

Education and secular laws and values will slowly push religion into fading out by itself. It takes decades and it cannot be enforced, but it will happen naturally and organically and we're seeing it happening in Europe. This is why I'm so against cultures where the religion is the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I’m not sure if you realise it but the point I was making is that your relating your personal experiences to me is no different than the people I know relating their personal experiences to me or your flatmate explaining the intricacies of Islam or Sharia to you. I’d always prefer more objective sources than just anyone’s personal accounts of anything based upon their personal experiences from their perspective, because I understand that people’s accounts are often coloured by their own biases and beliefs and so on.

I’ve no doubt there are some utter fcuknuggets in any country among any population, especially among a population of 82m in Iran, 31m in Afghanistan, or 216m in Pakistan. In fact given those numbers, I’d suggest you were absolutely guaranteed to find a proportionate amount of fcuknuggets as you would in Ireland among a population of 7m. But to ascribe their fcuknuggetry to any particular ideology as though all adherents of that ideology are of the same or even similar mindset, is a stretch.

Not for a minute should you expect anyone to believe that sort of guilt by association as though it represents reality.

But at the end of the day Dick, its your own personal experiences that shapes your own personal perspectives.. and you don't normally have to worry too much about the majorities who do no harm, but the minorities , and especially followers of a religion that has proven track record when it comes to mass murder and mayhem...now they are worth worrying about.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Iker

Whereas I'm of the opinion that it may seem that way that you describe... but the more secular power fails to fix the world, the more people you have turning to religion.

Look at the US. Every other North American is now a self-declared "saved" bible basher of some denomination. And that has only gained momentum, not decreased, since the US started going to war as an economic model (2001). The EU is staunchly Catholic, Protestant and now also Orthodox, despite all the kumbaya taught in universities. And these religious organisations hold tremendous power. They are enmeshed in the fabric of Western civilization. Try cancelling Christmas if you don't believe me.

Religions are ideals. And you can't defeat ideals, not completely. Ideals, unlike people, never die. They may become unpopular, but they recycle themselves and come back. Like fascism, which is now on the rise, even thou we had this little incident because of it called WW2 which devastated much of the world. One Jesus of Nazareth was born 2021 years ago, and you still hear of the guy. Same with this other man called Mohamed. And so on and so forth.

You won't make a dent. Muslims will continue to be Muslims. Perhaps they will continue to believe that someday they will remake the world in their image. You will continue to dislike their religion. And neither of you will ever be right.

See? waste of time, energy, and talent.

If you are going to fight another for an ideal, dig two graves. If you are going to fight the ideal, dig just one for yourself. Either way, think of where you end up in that equation.

Post edited by Iker on

• Advertisement

Certainly not to the degree that they should all be tarred with the one brush though? That’s not only unreasonable, it’s completely irrational. I mean, all the major religions at least have a similar history of mass murder and mayhem, the same could be said of any ideology really, but I’m just not someone who blames sons for the sins of their fathers, and so I’m not given to the same sort of scaremongering that’s done of any particular groups in any society based upon their ideological affiliations which really doesn’t tell me a whole lot about them. It’s rather more individual than you’re trying to make out, because of their own individual interpretation of an ideology which they claim justifies their actions.

I wasn’t too concerned for example that after ten minutes searching for ham in the local convenience store, I asked the guy behind the counter do they stock ham… only for it to occur to me as soon as the words were out of my mouth that it’s unlikely they actually stock pork products of any description. A social faux pas, nothing more, and certainly nothing I imagined I was going to be shot for. Y’know, perspective like, rather than imagining the worst of people based upon whatever ideas you wish to associate with them based upon your own ideas!

Jack, I know what I saw and experienced over many years, and I'll be guided by that, as is my right. This in no way prevents you from having your own views on the subject, and I wish you well with them, and that you ( or anyone else on this forum ) never have cause to change them as I had.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Iker

You have to let it go jm. The past cannot be changed, but the future, your own future can.

Your prejudice might be warranted in your view, but it only causes harm. Harm to yourself and potentially to other people who aren't related to the particular chain of events that led to your current views.

I really don't like to use kumbaya phrases but what is true, is true: we are all human. The fight of ideals is the most futile, never ending, never fruitful game ever.

The only way to become wiser and better (and ultimately happier in yourself) is to fight your own (negative) views, not those of others. I would not approach a radical Muslim either. These are lost people. Lost in the obscenity of their views. But to jump the gun and pre-judge everyone you meet from a particular background because they may or may not be a radical is simply, unhealthy for yourself and only contributes to generating more hate and discontent in the world. Ironically, that's when you are at the biggest risk of becoming the very thing you despise. Think about that.

Ultimately, if you really can't deal with it, you should just avoid any and all contact with anyone associated in any way with Islam. Which in Ireland (if that's where you are) shouldn't be too difficult TBH. But a path of activism against an ideal or culture, will always invariably bring you sorrow.

Don't worry no one, no matter how determined, is taking over your society, country, or the world any time soon.

If only it was that easy...

But Jim, you appear to be guided by the extreme.

you know countries and Muslims that are not extreme, not to mention experience of Muslims in this country. so why do you seem to just use your extreme experience to expect some kind of terrible outcome?

It would be irrational to change my views of a majority of any group of people based upon the behaviour of a minority of people who associate themselves with that group, as though they actually represent the views of the majority of that group. In reality it has always been the extremists who latch onto any ideology and corrupt it for their own ends. Rather than being radicalised by an ideology, they corrupt the ideology to suit themselves which in their minds justifies their abhorrent behaviour towards other people. It doesn’t matter what the ideology is, whether it’s Islam, Christianity, or whatever else.

I don’t believe for a minute that you actually think Muslims are compelled to commit atrocities because their religious texts tell them to, but there’s no doubt it’s certainly what you want everyone else to believe. The trouble with that idea is that people actually do know better, not only because of their own direct subjective experiences, but because they too have the opportunity to learn from a whole rake of different sources to inform themselves with a more objective perspective, rather than just taking what one person says as gospel.

I’ve mentioned him before in this thread but one of my co-workers is from Afghanistan, went back to Afghanistan recently after being away for ten years. He’d actually forgotten what it was like to be surrounded by gunfire and bombing and all the rest of it, that he was telling me when he used cower to avoid being killed, his family who were used to it were amused by his behaviour. For them it was a normal everyday experience.

The way you go on jm anyone could be forgiven for thinking all the men under 30 are primed Taliban extremists, when in reality the best you can do by way of an example of Muslim extremism in Ireland is that a group of Muslims violated lockdown restrictions to meet for prayer!

No disrespect jm but you’re over-egging the pudding just a tad when you’re trying to suggest things like parallel legal systems, people having to act in whatever manner because their religious texts compel them (in spite of plenty of evidence to the contrary depending upon various scholars interpretations), and you appear to completely ignore evidence that it’s not religious beliefs which influence social policies, but politics.

It was a revolution some time in the 70’s which caused Iran to become the country it is now in an attempt to quell what was purported to be the influence of Western values on Islamic society, but all it was in reality, was just a fcuknugget rising to power (as happened recently in the US with Trump in an attempt to quell liberal democratic values, and look how that turned out!), but it would be wilful ignorance to imagine as you’re trying to suggest that it’s because Islam can’t change or Sharia can’t change that is the reason for the way Iran or any of the Stans are the way they are today (I’m going to have to consciously stop myself saying that the next time I’m referring to anyone from there because I’m a lazy prick who can’t remember all the stans! Cheers jm for that one 😂), when there are people still alive in those countries who remember when this is the way they were in the recent past, not 6,000 years ago -

To suggest that immigrants into Europe could ever achieve the same sort of thing without a similar revolution is just ridiculous, not even worth entertaining.

They’re really not interested in taking over Europe or anything else, they are for the most part only interested in escaping being killed in their own countries, while maintaining the values of their own people and keeping to themselves for the most part. Precisely because they’re acutely aware of how they are perceived in Europe - they know from their relatives and friends who live here already the good, the bad and the ugly points about the West, but it offers better opportunities and quality of life than their risk of staying in their countries of origin, just like there are lucrative opportunities and far better quality of life for Westerners in those countries if they’re willing to take the risk of making a life for themselves there, as many Westerners have done and still do without having first hand experience of these countries before they go over.

• Advertisement

I disagree completely with you Dick,and all your above comments and conclusion's, and I'll leave it at that. Now, maybe, just maybe at some stage in your Life, you will take time out and travel a bit around the Islamic world, and when you have done that, you can get back to me then, OK ? and we can discuss. ( Apropos of nothing, maybe you might ask your Afghan Colleague, did he visit Butcher street, or the Finest Supermarket, and are they still operational? I'm just curious. 🤤) And his Family were right to think it funny at how he reacted to bombing and shooting etc.....Forget about the ones you can hear,,,they're gone, shrapnel / bullets etc travel faster than sound.

Post edited by jmreire on

Iker, I've lived in Muslim Countrys for the best part of 25 years, most of my friends are Muslims, Each and every day, I talk with some them. Share their family events etc. Some of these friendships go back the full 25 years, but even the newer ones, time wise, are good solid friendships,strange as it may seem. With one or two exceptions, ( where I was dissapointed when a so called friend did not live up to the name, wolf in sheeps clothing type situation. ) Here I'm speaking about the Man, the Muslim, and not the Muslim and his Religion, Islam. I have no qualms about the Muslim the Man, but I do have concerns about Islam the religion, about its spread and its barbaric practices. I think that its spread will bring sorrow to many, and not only in terror attacks, but look at the disruption its causing in say France ( but not limited to) at the moment. Plenty of Islamic no go ( for non-believers ) areas, where Islam rules in several EU cities. As a result, there's a growing push-back in Countrys which earlier on were welcoming to Muslims. Now why is that, do you think?. Could it be that Islam is not culturally compatible with the west. Do I fear an Islamic takeover in Ireland? No, I don't. Will my Grandchildren see a vastly greater Islamic input in Ireland? Yes, they will. And not only in Ireland, but the EU as well. As a force for change, Islam punches way above its weight.

But aside from that, Thanks anyway for your friendly advice, I know where you are coming from, and its not a bad place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Douglas Murray shows quite calmly and clearly why Multiculturalism is a negative. He is a gay atheist aswell if that helps the wokists.

Video has almost 4 million views and 82,000 upvotes to 6,000 against which would show that this is not a fringe opinion.

Well, whats currently happening in the UK bears out what you are saying Iker. And I don't think that anyone has much of a problem with controlled emigration, especially where they fill needs, and become self sufficient, and integrate here in Ireland. But an openended form of migration is not a good thing, and we have a situation here presently where the Govt are about to fast track 17'000 "undocumented" migrants, some of whom were previously scheduled to be removed from the Country. Theres two very good posters here on this forum, Wibbs and Klaz ( Klaz is presently taking a well deserved break, but hopefully will be back soon) They were both very eloquent, making good constructive and coherent arguments. You can back up a bit in the time line, and you will come across some of their posts.

Just because some posters make long winded, big words, essays doesn't make them right. Posters seem to be almost awestruck by long essays, which just repeat the same non issues over and over.

What is currently happening in the uk?

How many of the undocumented here were scheduled to be removed from this country?

Are you aware of the breakdown of nationalities of these 17000 people?

are you aware of the circumstances of their presence in this country?

There is no such thing as open borders, except when it comes to EU migration.

Yes Bubblypop, this discussion has been hashed and re hashed several times, but the very fact that theres even one who should have been deported long ago, but is still here means that the system is not working. And Im sure that theres more than one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

What is currently happening in the uk?

After generations of multiculturalism BLM protests are still required. After generations of multiculturalism which demographics are most likely to be poor, unemployed, under educated, or in gaol? Answers to the usual address..

Are you aware of the breakdown of nationalities of these 17000 people?

It matters little save for the obvious fact they're not from the EU. They're "undocumented", IE illegal migrants, living outside the law and taxes etc. And have been for years. Now they're to be rewarded for this

illegality with Irish residency? For the craic, try not paying taxes for a couple of years. See how you get on as an Irish citizen, or someone living here legally. I can guarantee you won't be rewarded.

I really don't like to use kumbaya phrases but what is true, is true: we are all human. The fight of ideals is the most futile, never ending, never fruitful game ever.

If it were only so simple that we're all human. As you note the fight of ideals born of culture, resources, belonging and not belonging is never ending. Rarely fruitful either.

I'm an optimist by nature, a realist by experience. The trick is to seek a balance between the two rooted in day to day realities.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

So, where is that information then? That you're so sure about?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,144 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Undocumented by definition means someone is in a country illegally. Either by staying after their legal residency period was up, or entering the country illegally in the first place. And that's the documented undocumented as it were. That figure is almost certainly higher in reality. Now of course there will be individuals with extenuating circumstances and that should be taken into acccount. As should those employers who have been paying such people "off the books". They're left out of this mess too often. They should be treated like fences in crimes of property, receivers of stolen goods as it were. However by rewarding illegality this country sends out a bad message to the world, never mind her own citizens.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Luxemburgo

• Advertisement

I understand what illegal means, thanks Wibbs 🙄

I also agree that it's not a good message to send out. However, the poster claimed that these illegals had previously been 'scheduled for removal'

I wanted to know where that information came from, is the poster aware of the history of these people?

And yes, employers should be prosecuted for using illegal immigrants. I would imagine their concern for their employees is very low on their priorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭BobHopeless

I would be against it in the form it is now. I'm a nationalist and believe it's healthy for nations to have it's own strong identity and culture. Unfortunately parts of Ireland have gone too far now and the process of large parts of Dublin becoming Bradford or Birmingham has materialised and will only become worse.

Bubblypop, I read it an article but can't get my hands on it. As soon as I do, I'll post it to you. But maybe you have the figures? For the Nrs in this 17'000 that have failed in their application, and are set to be deported,and the only reason that they are still here is appeal after appeal? How many outstanding appeals do you think are ongoing by these illegals?

No, I don't know anything of their details but I dont assume they are failed asylum seekers.

There are many illegal immigrants here, they are sometimes students who overstated their visas, also there are a number of care home staff which have overstayed, a lot from the Philippines. Also many have found their way in through the UK. Low paid catering staff etc would contain a certain percentage of illegal immigrants.

While I don't know, I would be surprised if there are any failed asylum seekers involved, as you said, they have many appeals processes to go through. And just to point out, that until the system is completely finished an asylum seeker is not an illegal immigrant.

The mere overstaying the terms they used to get and stay here makes them illegal, regardless of their present status. I'm not against the kind of Immigrants who work and add to the overall good of the Country, but all others need to be rigoriusly vetted. And this business of multiple appeals done away with, or else allowed but only after deportation. Appeal from their home ( or any other ) Country shold be the norm.

I know what illegal means. Most illegal immigrants here work. How would they survive otherwise?

appeals are for asylum seekers, who are not illegal immigrants.

I think anyway Bubblepop, that the whole question hangs on the word "Illegal" if their presence here is illegal, then they should not be here. If Asylum seekers, then their cases should be heard and disposed of ASAP, in fairness to everyone. The fact that the Govt is going to grant Irish citizenship to 17'000 (+) (And before you start picking holes in my comment, I know that its euphemistically calt "Pathway", but the end result will be the same.) Bottom line Bubbly, is that 17'000 + will be given a shortcut to Irish Citizenship. Now maybe, just maybe, if they manage to get 17'000 applications off the books so to speak, it will give them a breathing space to put in place a " New and Improved" system.

According to the Govt spokesperson that I heard explaining the "Amnesty" ( if you like ) he was trying to white wash the statement a bit and used the word " Undocumented", as if it was just a minor issue. Sounds so much better than "Illegal", don't you think? ( and please, don't do a Bubblypop on it, ( 😂😂😂 Sorry, Bubblypop,,,,,I could not resist it.....Mea Culpa) and ask who and where are my sources.. prove it in other words...it was on TV or a newspaper, I don't remember which, and I did't record / copy paste it.)

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Luxemburgo

Is absolute BS of the highest order. They aren't here undocumented, its not like they forgot to fill in a form. They entered the country and made a conscientious decision to stay illegally.

And yes its the same for all the Irish in America there illegally. The utter disdain this amnesty is showing for the public, they don't even really have a handle how many there are, nor is there a cap.

And for the record I have no gripe with those here illegally, my issue is politicians in this country pushing through ill thought out virtue signalling vanity projects while treating us like idiots

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

After an afternoon in Dublin today,I can say that the net importation of people from Europe and points East and South appears to consist mostly of chavs. Have we not got enough already? The Irish presence was maintained by a great amount of beggars (spare change,bud?). Romanian gypsies appear to be out in force,especially around O'Connell Bridge. An Afghan protest was blocking the pavement outside the GPO (and it appeared to be supporters of the guy allegedly holding the Panjshir Valley against the Taliban). Lots of Gardai about, in twos and threes,some of whom were quite engaged in their phones. mask wearing appeared to be very optional but most places were insisting on masks inside. Only McD's asked to see Covid certs on the mobile,of the many places visited.

Advertisement