Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef price tracker 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Bass you are right about needing a base of north of €4.50 but the mad thing about lad buying cattle is that if they are getting that they will go out and give €150 more for the stores they are buy, meaning they will need the base to go up another 20 cent the following year. Seen CH bullocks last Monday making €2.72- 440 kgs €1200 and FR making €1.72 - 425 kgs €730. You seen it with calves all spring, very few FR calves were bought around here for less than €120 and I seen plenty of AA calves crossing €300.

At them prices you would need a base price of €5/ Kg to to turn any profit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

Saw a group of top quality 440kg Charolais/limo making up to €1400 yesterday and probably averaged round €1300. Would they put on 50kg before housing if the weather stayed good? What base will the buyer want for these lads next year to break even?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

I reckon the 440kg lads would cost another €500 before they get to being killed. If they kill out about 380kg dw that’d be €5 a kilo. Take away €0.20 for QA and if they’re good quality, average them as U= that’d be another €0.18 on top of base. That leaves you needing a base of €4.62 to break even and €4.88 of you’re to make €100 a head profit.

It’s hard to understand the logic in that.

For a break down of my €500 estimate;

€20 in buyers fees and transport home.

€20 to keep them on grass until end of October

€90 to keep them in the shed on a store diet until new year

€270 to keep them in the shed until end of March on a 90 day finishing diet

€15 on dosing/vet

€30 for fixed costs

€30 for mortality

€25 for factory fees and haulage to factory

There could be something I’ve left out or lads might have slightly different costs but I’d say I’m there or thereabouts.

If they’ve been on good grass, good silage and a good hi-maize 3 way mix for the finishing diet that should get them to about 650kgs by end of March killing out about 380kgs dw

• Registered Users Posts: 18,566 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

If you hang them at 400 kgs average and they grade R+/U and run a low cost system allow youself 350 in costs and 40 for mart, Transport and slaughter fees you need 1790 to break even. That is a price of 4.48/kg, take away 29c/kg for QA and U-/R= grid differencial it leaves you ore or less at a base of 4.2/kg to break even. To make a 200 euro margin you would need another 50c/kg onto the base or 4.7/kg😲

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Who2

at 1400 I doubt they will be r=. U+ at a minimum hanging as bulls at 420kg with a bit over 1 ton of meal a large bale of straw hanging next April. I had plain limos out of shorthorn heifers grade u= this spring and they were the leftover weanlings I regretted selling the good ones but it could have as easily went the other way.

You’d never get them to 400kgs dw on a low cost system unless you’re letting them back out to grass and killing them during the summer. Add on the grass cost and you’ll be back to near enough the same costs as killing out of the shed in March/April.

Either way there’s no money to be made!

I say you would have to sew two testicles back into them to make bulls of them.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

You will spend a nice bit with 350 to kill them out of a shed next April. it cost 280/ton for barley maize hulls last week. They would eat a ton at least to get them to any decent weight. It will cost 300+ for decent beef rations and nuts next winter. Add dosing, silage and a bit of fixed costs and you be hitting 450-500 to finish them out of the shed.

If they killed 370 out of the shed (670 LW) they need 4.85/kg to break even or a base of 4.55/kg to achieve a 100 euro margin you would need another 30c/kg. You be better off grassing them as you lose less money and you would not begoing buying cattle in March/April to make another loss on top of the bigger loss from winterfinishing. Those cattle will be lucky not to die 250 euro in the red

Slava Ukrainii

Yea if you see above I have it at €500 to kill them out of the shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

I know the lads that were buying these and the underbidders. They’d be after getting €2000 plus for bullocks.

These bullocks will get a bit of meal all winter and get out to poorish ground next April. They’ll get a bit of meal from next June on until the week before their 30 month birthday.

They may have got 2k plus for bullocks this year but will they get it next year. Heavy bullocks are as risky as the bull game. To achieve prices of over 2k bullocks would want to be a DW of approx 450 kgs. This year with the beef shortage processor's were willing take them without discounting.

Next year with maybe a base below 4/ kg and 200 k extra cattle to be slaughtered in the system what are the chances that rules similar to what Kepak published last year could be put in place

Slava Ukrainii

Ya Teagasc calf to beef systems returns on HE/AA cattle will look very pretty as well after this autumn. Was watching bunches of nice AA cattle 520-560 kgs making factory prices in the mart this week if from a QA farm. Feedlots will hang the best of them straight away and feed the lighter ones until November to processor demand. So ya I expect a bit of a dent in the 200 k figure for next year. It could be okish until next August, not the heights we saw this year but a beef price around 4/ kg if we get 60-80 k of 2020 cattle hung before and after Christmas.

A local finisher is buying 440-500 kg AA&HE heifers for to finish before and after Christmas as he thinks it's the only risk that can be taken at present.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

He is bang in the ball. But looking at the crystal ball at the moment what are the factors going to affect through put in the beef game.

Big ones that I can think of are

-Meal price for the winter, both local and world wide-

-Store price this back end ( too high for farmer margin to be factored in)

-Over hang of the 200k cattle for next year. If extra a killed this year could affect the kill with an extra 3-4k to weekly kills and could tip the balance

-Beam to a lesser extent as most who are in it have been making the reductions

-Brazil and the BSE cases ( what is the latest on this and how does Ireland fair on getting back to China)

-Brexit checks seem to keep kicking the can down the road.

This list goes on,and feel free to add to it but the positives are.

-Beef market futures are steady and rising for all of next year.

-Inflation, whether you view it as a positive or negative, this will keep the price of food up. Beef farmers are good at keeping the system low cost with only necessary spending. Govs and central banks will want some level of inflation as it dissolves debt and will encourage some growth post covid.

-Beef sector agreement, regarding overweight cattle. Now factories will have to give 4 month's notice of weight changes. If you have supplied overweight cattle and have not been penalised this resets the clock. Farmers need to be cute and play this card.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

It'll be very difficult to enforce the overweight price change agreement, if the factories don't take the cattle because they're overweight they haven't broke the agreement

If they have penalised on the kill sheet and willingly take now and not dock for over weight. This will give an outlet for 4 month's. I know they will back these type of cattle up. If you get them off you have an excellent argument to get the weight deduction back

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭locha

4.25 base for steers this week. Double.

• Advertisement

I like to someone try to push that. Unless you have a beef regulator and only the IBLA seem to be pushing that. It the same as bulls at present if you have them they will.pay you a decent price, have them when there is loads of bullocks a d they might not take even the U16 months ones.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭epfff

I'm thinking you have not much experience in dealing with meat processors. What is to stop them from penalising?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭minerleague

It doesn't matter to most in beef farming what those bullocks make next year as long as they can buy similar replacements next year again for 600 less

Plenty experience with dealing with different factories over the past 15 years killing about 60- 70 so I'm small fry in the system. I work my system to avoid sending cattle from September to December. This is when the most pressure is on numbers in the system.

I have seen kill sheet of a good friend where he was docked for over weight in late 2019. Went back and got his deduction back as he didn't get 4 month's notice, and have seen the remittance of the top up. It can be done, but it requires you have your paperwork in a row. We have all seen the kepak penalties sheet. No shortage of cattle falling between the cracks at the moment. Have personally sent overweight cattle lately and no deductions for overweight. This is the evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭dryan

Really??

where?

Quoted 4.15 bas for steers today for a factory in midlands.

Half load - Told agent they wont be moving at that.

Locally they are really holding the line on the smaller lad as well. You might get a few pennies more if all AA's. I only moving as cattle approach there birthdays. Trying to get maximum weigh and grade. Pushing for 4.2 but not getting it. They are really holding the line if you drop them in yourself they know that transport elsewhere will cost you 5-10c/ kg as well as weight loss

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭morphy87

what is the story with the Herefords when it comes to the bonus, are factory’s still paying the 10 cents bonus or is it now more? I know weight conditions apply

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭kk.man

And you have to pay a fiver (I think) to the Hereford scheme

And 6 euro to the AA scheme. In a he case of the AA scheme if you kill more than 50/ year you get another 10c/ kg I think

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Store fr blks not so dear in bandon today. 400kg ish €570. You could actually winter them at that money.

Actually the store aa circa 400 kg were very slow sellers too today.

Advertisement